Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commodore race car

Meh
    Reckon a bored and maybe stroked 3RZ might be a better thing if you had to go for a 4-pot. Probably lighter and nearly 50% more capacity ..... but that aside it looks like you've done an excellent job of building it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Marc_ View Post
    So what does it tip the scales at now that it's finished?
    Pretty sure it was 1050kg wet without driver.

I keep telling him it needs more turbo

cheers
    Gaz
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray) coming soon!
    www.vsport.com.au

um yeah, what ever blows your hair back!

Nice build thou

Ash

Solid skills and build , 1050 kegs is on the light side for a Commo as 1250 is what mine weighed with the LS installed . Any pics of it on the scales with the conversion done ? . What's it handle like ?

Acads
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Malakia Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Reckon a bored and maybe stroked 3RZ might be a better thing if you had to go for a 4-pot. Probably lighter and nearly 50% more capacity ..... but that aside it looks like you've done an excellent job of building it.
    I doubt it would be lighter, a 3RZ has iron block and SR an alloy one.

Possibly now you have it sorted you can sell the weird little engine and put the lsx in. Same dollars but 400 hp.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by chargedvx6 View Post
    Great work on the set up of the car! Real tidy work and best thing is if you do want to change the power train it would be quite straight forward.

I'm guesing you've set the car up for a junior to learn on? Not been rude but such a well thought out set up would be a bit under utilized with a N/A 4 cyl imo.

I would be interested to see how cornering balance goes with that light donk shoved way back there near the firewall. Bet you give some more powerful cars a hard time on turn in and mid corner!
    I'm the junior when it comes to circuit experience

Quote Originally Posted by _Marc_ View Post
    *subscribed with great interest*

Nice work, would be keen to see timed laps from Wakefield.

So what does it tip the scales at now that it's finished, and how has it helped with the corner balancing with the smaller motor?
    Quote Originally Posted by GAZ914 View Post
    Pretty sure it was 1050kg wet without driver.

I keep telling him it needs more turbo

cheers
    Gaz
    Quote Originally Posted by adamRSLC View Post
    Solid skills and build , 1050 kegs is on the light side for a Commo as 1250 is what mine weighed with the LS installed . Any pics of it on the scales with the conversion done ? . What's it handle like ?

Acads
    I didn't get any pics of it on the scales finished, but it was 1,058kg and I think 54/46 front rear weight balance but don't quote me on the weight balance. That was with all fluids and half a tank of fuel. I have only half pushed it at the track, but it did feel well balanced and turned in better than I anticipated.

Thanks for those with the positive comments. For those that don't understand or like it, I could spend hours trying to explain everything, but I doubt we would actually get anywhere. It's time better spent in the garage or on the track

Hoony , do you get any pad knockoff with the AP's and the std stub axles ? . I'm still running a sliding caliper (due to this prob) but have fitted a bearing spacer to help beef up the stub axle .
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

So much effort for so little horsepower lol. But big kudos for the work you have put in to it, way outside my comfort zone!

surprised by how light that is.
    p11 or p12 VE?

N1 cams will wake up the top end nicely, or 20v/n1 hybrid if you want the midrange + top end

Quote Originally Posted by Terribleone View Post
    I doubt it would be lighter, a 3RZ has iron block and SR an alloy one.
    I assumed Bill was referring to the original commo engine. A 3rz probably is half the weight of a holden 6.
    RB26......................Again

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by fly510 View Post
    I assumed Bill was referring to the original commo engine. A 3rz probably is half the weight of a holden 6.
    No I meant compared to an SR20.
    They're at least 140 kg or so, the 3RZ does indeed had an iron block but the thin-wall type and aren't as heavy as you'd think. The SR blocks are alloy but pretty chunky.
    I don't think there'd be much in it and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were a touch lighter. But it's still got a lot more capacity than an SR20.
    Just thinking out loud, not something I'd do though unless you had to use a four-pot engine.

Having seen it at the track on its maiden voyage, it's faster it a straight line than you would think. It's really nicely put together too.

Needs a sump guard and rally tyres option though.☺

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Not what I'd do personally but the idea of chopping cunts in an atmo 4 pot commodore and the resulting anger would be worth the price of entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Not what I'd do personally but the idea of chopping cunts in an atmo 4 pot commodore and the resulting anger would be worth the price of entry.
    Not going to happen with 160 hp unfortunately Needs a turbo or an lsx..
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by adamRSLC View Post
    Hoony , do you get any pad knockoff with the AP's and the std stub axles ? . I'm still running a sliding caliper (due to this prob) but have fitted a bearing spacer to help beef up the stub axle .
    Haven't pushed it enough to give an honest answer and I do have some bearing spacers waiting to go in. The pedal feel is massively better than when I had VT calipers on other cars, but the non-boosted pedal box is probably helping as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    surprised by how light that is.
    p11 or p12 VE?

N1 cams will wake up the top end nicely, or 20v/n1 hybrid if you want the midrange + top end
    P12. If I was going to do cams then I would want to do an increase in compression as well as change to E85. Then it starts getting spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Having seen it at the track on its maiden voyage, it's faster it a straight line than you would think. It's really nicely put together too.

Needs a sump guard and rally tyres option though.☺
    It would also need smaller front brakes and a different exhaust... not that I have thought about it

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    great work Hoonboy the car has turned out very tidy since i saw it last

and lol at the butthurtz, OMG WAI U DO DISS?

the foundation for a sorted track car has been made, you can enjoy it and look at future options as the budget/time/racing classes allow.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Saw this on Dave's (Miller Chassis site). How much of it did he do? Assuming cage as a minimum?

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    If you'd done this with a 200kg heavier s14, not a negative word would be said....

Love it, the fab work looks spot on
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post

P12. If I was going to do cams then I would want to do an increase in compression as well as change to E85. Then it starts getting spendy.

cams, valvesprings and 20+ hp for less than $1.5k, but yeah its a slippery slope i guess

Nice work on your build, it's a scary feeling when you take them on the track for the first time.

sorry but I did laugh when the dyno sheet was posted
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Do like.

Hmm I very much like, 1058kg is a light car these days.

I must be equally twisted, I'm thinking the next step is an Alfa Romeo 75 transaxle out the rear to further improve the weight balance.....???

Quote Originally Posted by FLI355 View Post
    Saw this on Dave's (Miller Chassis site). How much of it did he do? Assuming cage as a minimum?
    I hadn't seen it on his site, thanks for pointing it out He did the cage, exhaust, steering column and radiator bits.

The only other times it went to workshops was for dyno tune and corner weighting.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    cams, valvesprings and 20+ hp for less than $1.5k, but yeah its a slippery slope i guess
    and tune, so whilst it's being tuned, might as well chuck in E85, which means bigger injectors and possibly pump on NOS.. slippery slope but an extra 20+ horsepower wouldn't go astray

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Nice work on your build, it's a scary feeling when you take them on the track for the first time.

sorry but I did laugh when the dyno sheet was posted
    I've taken a few rebuilt cars on the track before, but this was the most nerve racking for some weird reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    Hmm I very much like, 1058kg is a light car these days.

I must be equally twisted, I'm thinking the next step is an Alfa Romeo 75 transaxle out the rear to further improve the weight balance.....???
    That's even more twisted than I am!

Love it. So different. Subscribed
    DJ's don't need sigs

Nothing says underdog like parking strips! Truck on I say.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    If you'd done this with a 200kg heavier s14, not a negative word would be said....

It's so wrong it's brilliant. What other RWD cars could you stick this engine in and have a fun car for the money ? And how many of them are going to be this light ?
    So lets look at this from a different approach. Holden saw fit to fit the 4 cylinder Starfire with a whopping 78hp to the VC, VH, VK (NZ Only). You've just powered it with a modern engine that happens to make over double the power. Still not a bad approach.

Your car is a good thing. I'm a believer in the mindset of you need to learn to crawl before you can run. I can't imagine it's easy trying to learn to make a car turn and stop hard if it has enough power to throw you into the weeds the moment you lean on the loud pedal.
    - Gary

It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mega View Post
    Teh fuck.. who purposely builds a 4cyl commodore ?
    Opel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie256 View Post
    I hate being a nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    "We never get that high tech jap stuff in here, should be no problem though" lol

The people who don't understand it should get out of Ipswich/Mt Druitt/Geelong/Gawler/Rockingham more often...
    Last edited by mondo2000; 16-07-14 at 09:45 PM.