Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Commodore race car

Opens
    I haven't seen the answer, so why the 4cyl hoonboy? Honest curious question.

The car looks awesome by the way, real tidy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

My guess would be: He figured it would come in at around 1000kg ie. reasonably light.

: He knew that Commodore parts and upgrade parts would be cheap and cheerfull ie. the wheels, brakes and panels.

: it is different from the usual Datsun 1200, 1500, Bluebird and probably cheaper too.

: if nothing else he would get plenty of giggles from people asking ...Why a 4 cyl Commodore.

I love it, clearly a well planned and executed build.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    My guess would be: He figured it would come in at around 1000kg ie. reasonably light.

: He knew that Commodore parts and upgrade parts would be cheap and cheerfull ie. the wheels, brakes and panels.

: it is different from the usual Datsun 1200, 1500, Bluebird and probably cheaper too.

: if nothing else he would get plenty of giggles from people asking ...Why a 4 cyl Commodore.

I love it, clearly a well planned and executed build.
    ...and it fits into Under 2L classes for circuit events.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrex View Post
    I haven't seen the answer, so why the 4cyl hoonboy? Honest curious question.
    It was the other way around, had the engine first and then went looking for a car to put it in. I was looking at the more obvious choices for an SR when a Commodore was suggested and it ticked a lot of boxes.

nice work, certainly didn't muck around with the conversion and shaved some serious weight off the bastard!
    Looks the part, will be good to get some feedback on how the setup all works on the track once you push it
    Did you do anything fancy with the rear suspension apart from the usual shock/spring upgrade ?

love everything except for the powerplant, but hey like you said you have your reasons!

Basic LS1 in this would be a rocket. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by VHSS View Post
    nice work, certainly didn't muck around with the conversion and shaved some serious weight off the bastard!
    Looks the part, will be good to get some feedback on how the setup all works on the track once you push it
    Did you do anything fancy with the rear suspension apart from the usual shock/spring upgrade ?
    Nothing special suspension wise, off the shelf Bilsteins, eurothane rubbers everywhere, adjustable height coil over springs etc. It's a bit of guess work until I get some laps in it and see how it handles.

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Basic LS1 in this would be a rocket. Just saying...
    Only if you can keep it high in the rev range. Plenty of guys have gone from 308/355 to 346 and are having trouble doing their old times on bigger power. Nothing more cubes or a top mount huffer wouldn't fix. LS1's struggle down low compared to the holden donks.

I just saw a post on facebook talking about weights for historic racecars, Torana XU1 suggested 1020-1060 kg. So here we have a similar weight vehicle with better weight distribution, wider track, better tyres and suspension, positively massive brakes and better power delivery. Whilst it probably lacks outright power, it likely has a wider power band...

Sorry, I just find it such an intelligent car, I'll bet it is utterly forgiving and benign to drive, consequently it will likely be very consistent.

It'll be benign to drive that's for sure.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

You say benign, I say forgiving.
    Actually sounds like it could be a reasonable track newbie car, learn setup and race craft and then go for more power when ready.
    As opposed to go for big power straight off the bat and learn how to pay to get the car rebuilt when you bin it.

The potential for decent power is only a turbo away.

Some of you guys are so narrow minded.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    You say benign, I say forgiving.
    Actually sounds like it could be a reasonable track newbie car, learn setup and race craft and then go for more power when ready.
    As opposed to go for big power straight off the bat and learn how to pay to get the car rebuilt when you bin it.
    Valid point.
    You often see in karts the guys who start in the J's are quicker than the guys who jumped straight in a clubman. When you don't have bulk power on tap it forces you to find the best line and keep up momentum. Rather than just braking as late as possible, point at the next apex and give it full gas.

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Someone once said if you can't go fast with 90 hp, then 900 isn't going to help...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Best way to start is with less power. And try beat the guys with V8's.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Commodore race car

Awesome build, love the fact it's against the norm, build quality looks great aswell!
    Last edited by Matt Bomer; 22-01-16 at 08:37 AM.

Do love this car. I should have built my brakes, cage and suspension the same way.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Love it. I'd turbo it personally if you get the itch, especially if you already have the sr20 mounted up. We've got an LS with 510hp in the same deal and I reckon the car would be barely any slower over a number of laps with, say, 400hp on a set of semi's which you can fit under stock guards.

HoonBoy hasnt been on hear for ages, hope its a case of busy with work and the wife etc.
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
    HoonBoy hasnt been on hear for ages, hope its a case of busy with work and the wife etc.
    Grumpy keeps in contact, says he's busy with other things these days. i believe the car is still at "Thing" though.

Wannabe internet expert
    Shame all the pics are broken, this was an awesome thread.

Anyway, to the topic. Found this more recent video while trawling YouTube and thought you guys might be interested.

Last edited by Rthirty1; 07-12-16 at 12:56 AM.

It's still around. He's just been busy with life and shit.

Hopefully he'll have it back out next year.