Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

Ok so this is gonna take way too long to explain properly so I'll give a quick summary with pics:

Many moons ago when I was a strapping young lad, I wanted a Fiat X1/9... but my dad said they are too rusty and unreliable and I should buy a Toyota instead. Oh how wrong he was...

So I bought this, a 1986 AW11 MR2 with a mild bluetop bigport and some suspension work. Instantly I was hooked, it was SO much fun to drive.

Did a trackday, mucked around with trying to fit ITBs to the bigport, then saw the light and did a 4A-GZE swap (with an ensuing 4 months of hilarious misadventures, which were totally not hilarious at the time as I was a broke as fuck uni student)

Did a couple more trackdays, slapped a bigger pulley on the GZE, did even more trackdays. Went from a 1:21.7 when it was n/a to a 1:14 with the supercharger setup (and a lot more driver experience :P) at wakefield. Lot's of fun was had

Decided it was time to take the next step and embarked upon the enormous headfuck that was my turbo swap version 1. This was essentially a dress rehearsal for when I would build a new motor and I was basically experimenting to see what would and wouldn't work. The HUUUUGE KKR430 turbo for example, was one of the many things which didn't work, however it did enable me to find out what revs i needed boost to come in at for the car to work on the track, as well as allow me to refine intercooling and oil cooling solutions later on.

I also learned why it is important that your oil lines are well and truly insulated from heat. I can confirm that seeing a fireball appear in your rear view mirror is not a fun experience at 140kmh

Then I spent a whole fucktonne of money and basically redid everything using my experiences from the first build.

Got a Garrett GTX3071R in preparation for the new motor I was planning on building.

Got a PWR water to oil cooler

Put an intercooler on the roof (which is now painted black and has a scoop so it is slightly less conspicuous. Slightly...

Got a race technology dash and data logger

Aand a whole bunch of other shit....

Car was going well, decided to start on my final build. Bought a new shell as the old one was rusty as fuck and the fire hadn't done the engine bay any favours anyway. New shell is a 1987 aus delivered model with a 20v silvertop swap.

Stripped and scrapped the old shell

Started to put all the good shit into the new shell (still on progress, just did all the suspension and brakes)

Got some rad 80s turbine wheels. Everybody loves turbine wheels

Started collecting parts for my 9A-GTE (1.9L stroker)

aaand that's where I am at at the moment.

The new shell is about to be back on the road with new suspension and brakes. It is currently running a standard silvertop 20v 4A-GE. I'll be installing my ecu, dash/logger and oil cooler setup next. Hopefully by the time I have everything to build the motor the car will be all set up and ready to go so that I can just drop the motor in. That's the plan, but shit never seems to go to plan for me so I'll just play it by ear :P

Thanks!

edit; oh and the old shell was called the faildub because it's an adub and it failed all the time, and this used to be painted on the bonnet thanks to some of the more artistic members of the adub community...

Hopefully the new shell can shake off the fail moniker. Time will tell.
    Last edited by trdee; 10-12-15 at 10:34 PM.

Win.

Great story. Those old school wheels are awesome

Brilliant, more please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Juan
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Today you, Tomorrow you. tomvale13's Avatar
    Hey doodle.

Always been one of my favourite automotive endeavours to behold - mainly due to the amount of fire.

The only other car that I know about that has had as much fail of mine.

Mine tops yours though as it's been stolen by a "performance workshop"

Freakin awesome. Turbine wheels will set this thing off really well.
    As mentioned. More please.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX19X View Post
    Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Looks sweet. Agree wheels are tip top.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    This is fucking awesome.

Would bang /10

Cheers guys. If any of you have no life you are welcome to read the whole history of the build here: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=45488

seriously though its like a 230 page thread mostly full of shit breaking followed by people laughing followed by me crying. lol

also HEY TOM!

Fuck yeah, sik little rig! I have always had a soft spot for AW11's. I imagine you're using the MRP 9A kit? Apparently it is good, can handle lots of boost and make lots of power. There is also a guy here in Australia who does a 9A stroker kit.

Will follow with great interest

I like how you're on your second body and third engine but it's still the same car.

Interested to see how you go with the MRP kit, I think I need one for my future ITB/NA build. Hopefully it results in less fire!

This is going to be good! Subscribed!
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

mega - bonus points for BBQ and axe!
    Quote Originally Posted by doods189
    Will throw in around $3000 worth of reptiles and acc as part payment and maybe if partner let's me a 50in plasma 3d tv

Nice work, look forward to further progress and future updates.
    Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
    Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
    Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Fuck yeah, sik little rig! I have always had a soft spot for AW11's. I imagine you're using the MRP 9A kit? Apparently it is good, can handle lots of boost and make lots of power. There is also a guy here in Australia who does a 9A stroker kit.

Will follow with great interest
    Yeah using the MRP 9A kit with pretty much every option except dry sump (cos fuck plumbing that system in an AW11!)

Basic rundown:
    MRP 1.9L stroker kit
    - 4340 stroker crank
    - Billet I beam rods
    - CP pistons, 8.8:1 (iirc, it's been a while) with ceramic coated domes and anti friction coated skirts

Supporting mods include
    Billet crank girdle
    Moroso baffled/winged sump
    Oil squirters from a smallport onwards 4AGE
    Toda billet oil pump gears
    Blacktop head
    Supertech valvesprings
    BHJ harmonic balancer
    custom alternator bracket and water outlet to suit
    top feed fuel rail
    ID2000CC injectors
    ACL race bearings
    MRP inlet plenum
    ARP oversize headstuds (11mm iirc)
    ARP mains and rods
    Equal length 4-1 merge collector manifold made by haks at performance exhaust
    Garrett GTX3071R
    Tial MVS38 external gate
    PWR water to oil cooler
    Tilton twinplate clutch
    Adaptronic 440 select ecu
    Race technology dash and datalogger
    and whatever else I have forgotten...

atm to complete the motor I need a head gasket (still tossing up options), engine seal kit, timing belt/water pump kits and not much else. just time....

For the rest of the car, the main stuff I still need to get is the remainder of the fuel system, being an Aeromotive stealth 340, associated fuel filter and reg, a flex fuel sensor, and then I need to mod the tank and run lines to suit.

Bazda from MRP made 410kw on 28psi on a hub dyno in NZ. Make of that what you will.. Either way, it should be fast enough to scare me. I have some kumho S700 slicks that have been waiting a fair while to have a go at keeping the thing under control. We will see....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    I like how you're on your second body and third engine but it's still the same car.

Interested to see how you go with the MRP kit, I think I need one for my future ITB/NA build. Hopefully it results in less fire!
    It still gives me grief just like the first "iteration" did, so to me it's the same headfuck of a car :P It essentially has all the bits from the old shell too. And constantly referring to old shell/new shell is too annoying. So as far as I'm concerned this is all one continuum :P

Also, the car has caught fire 4 times. Twice from a dodgy sandwich plate, once from a failed turbo feed line, and once from failed oil cooler lines. Less fire would definitely be ideal

glad you brought the build over here. loved reading the bits and pieces of it when i was occasionally on toymods.

new motor sound fucking epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

btw.. pf requires noods of the chick in the background..

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

fookin win dude!!
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Nice. Always had a soft spot for these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    ... he may have seen one of the signs of the apocalypse - 4 horsemen, fwd transmission, pestilence etc??

Fuck off and take your fail elsewhere cunt

Just kidding.

No but really, you're a cunt.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    Yeah using the MRP 9A kit with pretty much every option except dry sump (cos fuck plumbing that system in an AW11!)

Basic rundown:
    MRP 1.9L stroker kit
    - 4340 stroker crank
    - Billet I beam rods
    - CP pistons, 8.8:1 (iirc, it's been a while) with ceramic coated domes and anti friction coated skirts

Supporting mods include
    Billet crank girdle
    Moroso baffled/winged sump
    Oil squirters from a smallport onwards 4AGE
    Toda billet oil pump gears
    Blacktop head
    Supertech valvesprings
    BHJ harmonic balancer
    custom alternator bracket and water outlet to suit
    top feed fuel rail
    ID2000CC injectors
    ACL race bearings
    MRP inlet plenum
    ARP oversize headstuds (11mm iirc)
    ARP mains and rods
    Equal length 4-1 merge collector manifold made by haks at performance exhaust
    Garrett GTX3071R
    Tial MVS38 external gate
    PWR water to oil cooler
    Tilton twinplate clutch
    Adaptronic 440 select ecu
    Race technology dash and datalogger
    and whatever else I have forgotten...

atm to complete the motor I need a head gasket (still tossing up options), engine seal kit, timing belt/water pump kits and not much else. just time....

For the rest of the car, the main stuff I still need to get is the remainder of the fuel system, being an Aeromotive stealth 340, associated fuel filter and reg, a flex fuel sensor, and then I need to mod the tank and run lines to suit.

Bazda from MRP made 410kw on 28psi on a hub dyno in NZ. Make of that what you will.. Either way, it should be fast enough to scare me. I have some kumho S700 slicks that have been waiting a fair while to have a go at keeping the thing under control. We will see....

It still gives me grief just like the first "iteration" did, so to me it's the same headfuck of a car :P It essentially has all the bits from the old shell too. And constantly referring to old shell/new shell is too annoying. So as far as I'm concerned this is all one continuum :P

Also, the car has caught fire 4 times. Twice from a dodgy sandwich plate, once from a failed turbo feed line, and once from failed oil cooler lines. Less fire would definitely be ideal
    Fuck yeah, that's a serious build!! It's definitely going to be a handful when all together.

Mr Purple, you definitely should go a 9A for high comp and ITB build!! MRP also on a 5A 1.8 stroker for 4A block.

Today you, Tomorrow you. tomvale13's Avatar
    Less fire would definitely be ideal
    As much as I would like to lightheartedly suggest otherwise, I just can't do it after seeing that parts list..

if it happens again i'll push the car down a ravine and go buy an elise and erase the memory of the adub from my mind

also Ben: EADC
    Last edited by trdee; 18-07-14 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRGREATWALLMAN View Post
    glad you brought the build over here. loved reading the bits and pieces of it when i was occasionally on toymods.

new motor sound fucking epic.
    this

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Yeah those wheels and engine in this thing are full of win!
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

atm to complete the motor I need a head gasket (still tossing up options)
    I told you cunt, Cometic MLS. You know my engine works brilliantly with one so do it.
    Also, the car has caught fire 14 times. Twice from a dodgy sandwich plate, once from a failed turbo feed line, and once from failed oil cooler lines. Less fire would definitely be ideal
    Fixed.

^ hocker? stfu and go back to driving 2000gts in japan you cunt

anyways was all set to get the car back on the road last week and BAM! spacers for the rear brake upgrade dont fit under the rotor hats. no big deal, just get them machined down. ok, sorted that, then go to bleed the clutch and BAM! clutch master cylinder is dead....

this is the third clutch master cylinder in 12 months....

THIS IS WHY THE CAR IS CALLED THE FAILDUB!!! GRRRHNAAAAAAAAAARGGHH

anyways, got ANOTHER new clutch master on its way now. car should be back on the road by next weekend.

also got the last of my shit coming over from bazda atm. have submitted a quote to amayama for the few little odds and ends i need from toyota for the new motor. fingers crossed i should have the 9A built in a couple months

Yah, does it really make you that mad that I was in the 2000GT at Toyota history museum?