Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

Quote Originally Posted by the buttonman View Post
    Y u NO straight pipe?

also FFS can you please get a new front lip and paint those headlight liners. i probably even have a can of red that would be the right colour
    Can you still get new front bars for these?
    DJ's don't need sigs

according to amayama yes, for $1300

think ill just repaint the current stuff when the time comes

Aerotech in NZ do one for $258, though it allegedly is designed for the Mk1A it'll fit with minimal tweaking.

Slightly ugly though:

http://www.aerotech.co.nz/index.php?...oduct_id=22855

Mine's been repaired at least twice, even though I can't remember even scraping it once!

Much better than nothing there though! I'm thinking I may need one.

thats only a front lip not a front bumper?

I thought this might interest some people - I sent the last oil change off to get analysed by an oil analysis mob. This is the fourth oil change on the engine now, and I've done about 2000km on the engine since it was last tuned, which was when I had this oil swapped in. I wanted to flush out as much metal and other "fresh engine" crap out of it before testing. The most interesting thing is that regular old Penrite HPR15 seems to be dealing with E85 just fine (ignore the diesel part in the text, thats an error by the oil analysis guys obviously).

The first tuner used Nulon full synthetic 10-40 and I found the hot oil pressure was too low for my liking (under 10psi at idle) which is why I went to the penrite HPR 15, which is a 15-60 formulation. I'll try HPR10 (10-50) next, as this oil is probably thicker than it needs to be.

Once a few of these tests are done it will hopefully give more info about how the engine is wearing and whatnot. Very cool stuff!

Just registered for the 2018 NSW supersprint championship and signed up for round 1 on March 3. Need to buy a new set of semis, and make a stronger fire extinguisher mount, and get some replacement bucket seats. Apart from that, the car should be good to go. Much excite! Been a looong time since I've done a proper trackday in this thing

Poor cunt at work built a 350 for his HK GTS, came back with 260ppm copper and 180ppm lead which means its eating itself.
    Oil samples are good for a once over of how things seem to be going.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

yeah gimme more of those sample kits ploise

just bought a set of 225/50/15 kumho V70As for the supersprints. next up is a set of bucket seats... tossing up whether I get velo GP90s again or spend a bit more and get GP-Ts. The GPTs are a bit deeper and stiffer, and have narrower wings which is good for small cars like the AW11 and the KP

Looks like there's only $150 difference in them, I'd go the GPTs.

What subframes are you using? Custom or off the rack? Harness?

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    The most interesting thing is that regular old Penrite HPR15 seems to be dealing with E85 just fine (ignore the diesel part in the text, thats an error by the oil analysis guys obviously).
    Zinc and Phosphorus levels suggest it's good stuff for flat tappet motors too
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Looks like there's only $150 difference in them, I'd go the GPTs.

What subframes are you using? Custom or off the rack? Harness?
    Subframes you mean seat rails? If so, I have a set of off the shelf rails coming from Japan. My old seat had a fixed bracket welded up by a mate of mine, but it got stolen along with my old velo when the garage got broken into so I took the opportunity to buy some proper sliding rails this time in the hope of getting it all engineered. Harnesses I have a set of 3" lever latch NZKW harnesses which I bought from MRP when I bought the 9A kit. I need to get a half cage or fit harness loops first tho so they are a while off from being fitted yet

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Zinc and Phosphorus levels suggest it's good stuff for flat tappet motors too
    Yeah the HPR stuff has a ZDDP additive package to it.

Seat rails, yes. We call them subframes in the Mini world only apparently, because we are dapper British gentlemen. Be interested to see how you fit the half cage in!

Cage has been done multiple times in the past (i have two adub friends with bond half cages in their cars), I am not worried about fitting it in, just time/money to get it done

Surprising amount of room in there!

I'm in Auckland next month. Now I'll be visiting NZKW as well as MRP and Fraser. This is going to get expensive.

Barry can get you NZKW stuff if you want to not spread yourself too thin :P

Turns out I'm about five minutes drive from MRP and ten minutes from Fraser. 30kg weight limit, bring it.

Buy me some pistons and rods for my 20v aw11 I seem to have in my driveway now.....

yeah gimme more of those sample kits ploise
    Yeah I'll grab you a bunch more
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Turns out I'm about five minutes drive from MRP and ten minutes from Fraser. 30kg weight limit, bring it.
    Fraser is a good place to visit. Good set up they have!!

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    That's bloody quick, sweet as!
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Just went and did an emissions test on the off chance that it would pass without any extra work. Almost did!

Apparently I need to bring down the RPM where power comes on after fuel cut a bit, and I need to lean out the idle closer to stoich. If I do that, then the total hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide should come within spec. Apart from that it's pretty much good as is.

Was running about 78% ethanol in the tank when I did the test for those interested, and a "high flow cat" of unknown brand that was fitted when I had my turbo exhaust done a few years ago. Pretty good I reckon! Will make some tweaks and book it in for another test asap

I am really interested but have very little idea what i am looking at. Could you go into what the targets are and how you will get there?

Warmest regards
    Lobster
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    I am really interested but have very little idea what i am looking at. Could you go into what the targets are and how you will get there?

Warmest regards
    Lobster
    The targets depend on the regs which your car is assessed under: https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...etrol_Cars.pdf

My car, being a 1988 model, and the engine being a 1992 model (kinda - basing it off the introduction of the 7A-FE) means that I am tested to ADR47/00 in that table linked above. That means I need to meet the following specs:

HC (hydrocarbons, listed as THC in the test papers given to me): 0.93g/km - I got 1.71
    CO (carbon monoxide): 9.3g/km - I got 14.4
    NOx (oxides of nitrogen): 1.93g/km - I got 0.56
    PM (particulate matter): N/A

In terms of getting there: The NOX figures are more than fine (yay for E85!), and the total hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide figures should be brought into line by leaning out the mixture at idle and by being more aggressive on my decel fuel cut settings as per my last post. I am running a "race cat" also which is probably doing nothing for emissions. So if the aforementioned changes are not enough to get it across the line I can swap that out for a good OEM cat, but the tester seemed pretty confident that some minor tweaks to the tune would be all I need to do .

Speaking of said tweaks, I just adjusted my idle AFRs from 13.8:1 to 14.5:1, and lowered the decel fuel cut deactivation threshold from 1800rpm to 1400rpm. I also set the closed loop settings to hold stoich for more load. It will keep the AFRs close to 14.7 up to the point where the car starts transitioning onto boost, at which point it starts richening the tune up. Will book in another test ASAP and see how I go

I absolutely hate the g/km rating as someone who does measurement as they don't appear to do any total mass/volume flow measurement on intake or exhaust from what I have seen so total mass is some bullshit extrapolation of average power over the test cycle which is massively effected by thermodynamic and driveline efficiency from car to car. It should just be declared as average % or PPM for each target gas over the drive cycle.

You NOX should rise a bit running leaner to atmosphere but the ethanol will burn colder than regular fuel so it shouldn't be a problem anyway. If everything else is good/marginal just back a touch of timing out for the test to drop NOX but given the age of car/engine and fuel it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Slides; 20-01-18 at 08:39 AM.

The targets depend on the regs which your car is assessed under: https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...etrol_Cars.pdf

My car, being a 1988 model, and the engine being a 1992 model (kinda - basing it off the introduction of the 7A-FE) means that I am tested to ADR47/00 in that table linked above. That means I need to meet the following specs:

HC (hydrocarbons, listed as THC in the test papers given to me): 0.93g/km - I got 1.71
    CO (carbon monoxide): 9.3g/km - I got 14.4
    NOx (oxides of nitrogen): 1.93g/km - I got 0.56
    PM (particulate matter): N/A

In terms of getting there: The NOX figures are more than fine (yay for E85!), and the total hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide figures should be brought into line by leaning out the mixture at idle and by being more aggressive on my decel fuel cut settings as per my last post. I am running a "race cat" also which is probably doing nothing for emissions. So if the aforementioned changes are not enough to get it across the line I can swap that out for a good OEM cat, but the tester seemed pretty confident that some minor tweaks to the tune would be all I need to do .

Speaking of said tweaks, I just adjusted my idle AFRs from 13.8:1 to 14.5:1, and lowered the decel fuel cut deactivation threshold from 1800rpm to 1400rpm. I also set the closed loop settings to hold stoich for more load. It will keep the AFRs close to 14.7 up to the point where the car starts transitioning onto boost, at which point it starts richening the tune up. Will book in another test ASAP and see how I go
    Thank you. Even I could understand that!
    Cheers
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

So my entry to the SNW supersprint series is confirmed. Seems with my mods I am going to be placed in class 6B - world time attack clubsprint class

Also got some track tyres sorted, 225/50/15 kumho V70As on clearance special at $160 a pop!

Got a cusco rear strut brace and some recaro pattern seat rails on their way from Japan. Next up is to buy a pair of velos and then see how badly I need to mangle my guards to get the tyres to fit

I need some stock suspension to pass RWC here, do you have or know any one with a set of springs/shocks for a late model?

Yahoo japan has some but thats a last resort....

Just keep an eye on the V70as. They delaminate like something that delaminates a lot... I had one go when I still had ~50% tread depth left and the Group 2F guys up here were frequently having the same problem. But at $160 each its probably worth the gamble.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by kedderz View Post
    I need some stock suspension to pass RWC here, do you have or know any one with a set of springs/shocks for a late model?

Yahoo japan has some but thats a last resort....
    I have spare factory front struts/springs/etc which I am happy to trade for beer. Need to check but I dont think I have any rear struts unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Just keep an eye on the V70as. They delaminate like something that delaminates a lot... I had one go when I still had ~50% tread depth left and the Group 2F guys up here were frequently having the same problem. But at $160 each its probably worth the gamble.
    Really? That's news to me. The last 2 sets I used were mint and gave epic amounts of grip all the way down to the canvas. Will keep an eye on them