Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

if you could check that would be greatly appreciated, drop me a pm once you know?

and are they 4 bolt or 3 bolt tops?
    Last edited by kedderz; 24-01-18 at 09:00 AM.

can do

series 2 adub, so 4 bolt. is yours a series 1?
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1980 KP60 4K - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

series two so four bolt, just making sure yours where the same.

Look up Johnny wuttrich on Facebook , he might have some (most likely of all the guys I've come across)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Yeah johnny's been involved in the adub scene for longer than I have been alive probably. FYI kedderz - if your toymods memory is good, Johnny is Feral4MR2 from toymods. He's in qld tho
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1980 KP60 4K - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

he didnt have any but did offer to take the struts he has in the feral now to pass roadworthy if I was local, hes a champ thats for sure.

Slapped the semis onto my toms on the weekend. unfortunately the 225/50/15 fronts simply will not fit. they hit the guards AND the strut, guess they wont work till I go widebody again like my old shell just ordered some narrower fronts, should be here this weekend

Also fitted my recaros, unfortunately they seem to actually be quite uncomfortable!

Now have 195 fronts and 225 rear kumho v70as fitted, hopefully the rears donít scrub too much at the track tomorrow. Also when rolling the car around the other day I noticed it was really hard to move. Turns out the damn handbrake cables had split their rubber boots and seized up! Luckily I had some spares from the old shell which werenít fucked yet, and Iíve gone and ordered a set of new ones from amayama also

Bought a Velo GPT last weekend expecting it to bolt straight onto the recaro seat rails. Turns out the internet is wrong and they donít. So that sucks and means I will be struggling at the track without proper lateral support until I get some mounts done :/

Gonna flush the brake fluid tonight and then itís all systems go for the supersprint tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NZKW make some that allegedly suit Velos.

i have side mount brackets that suit the seats, the problem is the seat is the wrong width to suit the sliding seat rails i bought, so the bolt holes on the seat rails dont line up with the bolt holes on the side mount brackets. ill take some pics

The supersprint went pretty well all things considered.

First up, I needed to pass scrutineering. I thought I had this all buttoned up, apparently not. I forgot race numbers LOL. had to buy some from the dude on site, they were not cheap.

Then, it turns out my toymods "racing" shirt (which I have used at drag races and trackdays in the past) was not of an acceptable fireproof material, so once again I needed to go to the on-site race supplier and paid through the nose for a lovely nomex shirt. Oh well, that's my fault for faffing around and not getting a proper race suit like I promised myself I would before the start of the season. At least the nomex makes me look hell pro (in my mind)

Many cool cars were at the event, all sorts of stuff from ex formula fords to radicals to, trackday specials, to kit cars, and modified street cars like mine

Went out for my first session and just trundled around on low boost figuring the car out. About halfway through the session I pinched the front left into turn 2. It was a strange lockup in that I squeezed off the brakes expecting it to come good again but it just stayed mildly locked until i came right off the brakes. Was very strange as normally I am pretty good at modulating the brakes. Pulled in at the end of the session and it turns out that the front left tyre had gone completely flat!

This little fucker was the seal for the front left tyre valve. It had failed and was pissing air out, also it's not the right type of seal. The valve seals are supposed to be a more conical type shape, and there's supposed to be two of them, one on the inside and one on the outside of the rim. Dodgy fkn tyre shops.... Luckily the top blokes at garage 88 down the road were able to get the car on the hoist, and replaced the seal with one off an SSR wheel they had lying around which happened to have the same seal diameter as my TOMS, and I was back in action before session 2 started.

Session 2 was my fastest of the day, as I dropped some air out of the tyres and turned the boost up to 24psi. I did a 1:52.168, with a top speed of 230kmh, and max speed into turn 1 at 170kmh (slowly built up to this across the day, T1 is properly intimidating)

As you can see in the clip, I still had lock up issues with the front left from time to time. Maybe I flat spotted it in the first session, but the brakes never felt quite right all day. I'll give them a bleed again this week, just in case I accidentally left an air bubble in one of the front calipers or something. The tune also still has some issues, and I was struggling with part throttle at roughly 5000rpm where the engine just didnt want to run smoothly with strange rich/lean transitions. I think this is still the same injector placement issue, so it will likely not be properly resolved until I get a custom plenum made up which sits the injectors in a good position with a clean shot into the ports.

Session 3 and 4 were no faster for a few reasons, session 3 I had traffic and then once I got clear I started getting surge due to running low on fuel (surprising how much fuel the car chops on full boost lol. I was using roughly 12L per session haha) and session 4 I forgot to turn the boost up until the last lap!

Overall I had a great day and am very glad to not have broken anything. I think I came 4th in my class out of 7 cars, and 57th overall out of 110 entrants, so not bad for my first ever day at eastern creek and the first trackday with the 9A.

Next up, Toyota Nationals at the end of March
    Last edited by trdee; 05-03-18 at 09:19 AM.

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    As you can see in the clip, I still had lock up issues with the front left from time to time.
    Mine used to regularly lock the left front, particularly with cold tyres. I always just assumed it was a weight distribution thing.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

dont think so, this is a new thing for me

Also got a clip with logger speed and G force overlaid. Unfortunately race technology purposely compress the video unless you pay them money to unlock a "video license" and I havent linked my ECU to the data logger, so it isnt the best, but anyways here is my fastest lap with speed and g force (go to 8:14 for the lap)

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    its pretty cool you can commit to a series like this, look forward to the updates
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Has your engine fallen out?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

no but it has tried to in the past, tore the cabin-side engine mount clean off and had to weld in a reinforcement

cool video trdee, sure has a heap of pull in 4th, cant help but think a big old wing would give you heaps more corner speed

aero is on the cards but probably not for at least another 12 months. i need to learn how to drive this car again first. was only my first every trackday on this setup haha

fyi both my aw11's used to lock the left front brake under heavy braking- no idea why they did it. one had coilovers, brake upgrade etc, other fairly stock suspension & brakes. tried playing with the corner weights (was light that corner) on the car with coilovers but did not fix issue. I ended up fitting a restrictor into the lhf hardline to fix the issue.

T

yeah but in previous trackdays with this setup i havent had this issue. bled the brakes last night, there was a bit of air in the front right caliper. hopefully that is all it was. went over the car entirely last night. all seems well, so now i am off overseas for work for 2 weeks and when i get back it's toyota nationals time. cant wait!

Back from an exhausting trip overseas and after a few quick days at work it was time for Toyota Nationals! Thankfully the adub was still in good shape after the trackday so it was simply a matter of packing the car and taking it out for the long drive to dubbo. The sydney crew didnt all go in one group this year, with a lot of people electing to take kids and whatnot so some had gone earlier or even the day before, it made for a smaller convoy than usual but nevertheless we had a trouble free drive which was nice for once

Once we got to the matilda the canberra crew were starting to come in and soon after there was a bit of a hubbub around Glenn's celica

Turns out he had spat a shim on the way up which then got mashed by the cam. Luckily some of the sydney/newy crew banded together and some spare parts were on their way shortly after!

Seems Beau Yates has become a regular of the event now also which is pretty cool

Really love how everyone bands together at nationals. One of the Sydney crew, Ben, was having issues with his JZA70. It started running rough on the drive up and nobody could figure out why. Eventually we swapped ECUs with Nicks JZA61 and sure enough it fixed the problem, so out came Rob with his mad skills and set about re-capping the ECU in the carpark LOL

This was a year when some oldschool toymods guys came out of the woodwork after being out of the scene for a number of years, even bigworm came over from SA. I got to test drive his 1JZ powered MX36 wagon whilst we diagnosed some spark issues (water in the valley cover) which was pretty neat, thanks Joel

Anyways, with all the problems seemingly sorted for everyone, the next day was looking up. First was the show and shine, and then my favourite event of the weekend, motorkhana!

Was a stinking hot day, and someone spilled the contents of their esky, so for shits and giggles I packed my cooler scoop with ice lol

Unfortunately on the way to the saleyards I picked up a fkn screw in my tyre!! It lasted for 2 runs before going flat. Luckily Harrison had brought along a tyre repair kit and we ended up plugging it in the carpark without even taking the wheel off the car!

Just including this screnshot from Simmo's aristo as he and Rob clearly were having a fkn ball

I did pretty well in my runs in the khana, although my driving style still has a lot of room for improvement with the added power and vastly grippier tyres. I was being too conservative with using weight transfer to shift the rear of the car around and subsequently was suffering from a lot of understeer, which cost me time. The final standings arent done yet but the word was that I was roughly 4th or 5th in the overall standings, which I am pretty happy about

The next day was drag racing, and again was another bullshit hot day

I did pretty well in this also. I only did 3 races, but I won all of them, and came second in 4 cylinder forced induction to Beau Yates in his AE86. My best 1/8th time was an 8.28 which isnt too far off my 1/8" time at WSID. Not bad given we were racing in searing midday heat on an unprepped airstrip. Unfortunately it seems my wideband sensor didnt like the limiter bashing I had subjected it to in the khana and then the drags, because on my second run the wideband sensor died and then didnt come back for the rest of the trip. I have a spare sensor at home so I'll swap it out sometime this week and then it should be good to go again

Fkn Ben cleaned up the motorkhana in his TA22, first in every course, top rwd and top overall. Gavin got top FWD. Both were in a class of their own this year, I'll need to lift my game next year

Also toymods forgot to return the club trophy this year (whoops) but we won again this year anyway so we made up a special trophy to give back to ourselves, using some parts from Foamy's EP71 starlet

Oh and a corny shot at the matilda with the Toymods Toyota Nationals shirts for 2018

Drive back home was also relatively uneventful apart from picking up what seems to be a batch of dodgy fuel in Bathurst. Car still drove relatively well, but it didnt want to idle much anymore after that. Got to take some pics at the top of the mountain though which was nice

Oh and just a little in-joke for the boys

Overall the car performed pretty much flawlessly, and I absolutely had a ball in the motorkhana and the drag races. The drags was especially funny, as I beat a couple of the locals which drew some funny reactions with people coming up and asking WTF was in my car and how come it was so fast etc. Even had one of the marshals (jason) come up and shake my hand LOL.

Next event is NSW supersprint round 2 on May 20, although I might also do a trackday later this month for practice. Cant wait!

Looks like you had a good time. Great to see you making use of the car.

Nice, must make it up for a Toyonats sometime. Very cool that the Perm came out of the woodwork too.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Get it to a proper drag strip stat! It hooks up solidly enough that those powahz would have you nudging a 10
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

i've been to a proper strip already did an 11.8@125mph. it would probably get a better ET on the kumhos now but meh, i am happy to not break CVs and focus on circuit work

next time i do drags will probably be toyotafest in october

Videos from the event here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dhOhOgTTGyEPvI

One of my favourites was taking Chris out in one of the motorkhana runs. He had just finished his Kingswood build and this was the first nationals for both of us with finished cars after many years in the build, so we had a bromantic moment at the start. And then I proceeded to blow his mind with the adub's power delivery hahaha

Another good one was of my second attempt at the "try angles" course, I got the weight transfer working fairly well this time and just fucking nailed the course

Was an interesting year at Dubbo that's for sure! Haha

In the khana your wedge was flying! Congrats on a succesfull weekend mate
    1JZ RA28 (yoshi) the toymotor sillycar
    http://performanceforums.com/forums/...gte-ra28-skids
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

cheers glenn, we should do another round at roll racing in a bit!