Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

Today you, Tomorrow you. tomvale13's Avatar
    I'm going there in Feb, was thinking of hiring an 86 and driving to it from Kyoto where I'll be for 8 days or so. (about a 2 hour drive)

Would love to hire something cool.. GTR or something, but haven't looked into anything beyond where the Museum is let alone renting cars and prices.

Today you, Tomorrow you. tomvale13's Avatar
    <dbl post, sorry>

Quote Originally Posted by MRGREATWALLMAN View Post
    btw.. pf requires noods of the chick in the background..

How are we going with this?
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Quote Originally Posted by the buttonman View Post
    Yah, does it really make you that mad that I was in the 2000GT at Toyota history museum?
    yes it does

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    How are we going with this?
    give me the time machine i need to go back in time and find out who she actually is and i shall provide, anyways:

New clutch master shows up today, has a smaller hose fitting than stock, looks to be M10 instead of the standard M12 fitting. New clutch master also has M8 studs threaded into the body instead of holes for factory M8 studs on the firewall. Remove studs on clutch master and of course the holes are now too small to pass the factory studs. So now I need an adapter for the clutch line, and I need to drill out the holes so that the studs on the firewall will fit.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUU
    Last edited by trdee; 13-08-14 at 02:17 AM. Reason: got the fitting sizes wrong

you seem to have about the same sort of luck with this stuff as me
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Well, another day another hurdle. went to fit the TOM's wheels tonight. Cleared the rear brake calipers no worries. Cleared the massive MRP front calipers by millimetres as expected (bazda is the only bloke who I've ever dealt with that actually sells shit that works without any extra fucking around outside of what he specifies). Unfortunately though, the FUCKING RETARDED MONGS at the tyre shop put the balancing weights on the highest part of the inside of the barrels, which takes up those last few mm of clearance to the caliper, so the wheels won't rotate with the balancing weights where they are.

I mean, it isn't that big of an issue really. They are just stick on wheel weights so it isnt a massive task to remove them and get the wheels re-balanced, but it's almost like the car is running out of ideas to fuck with me so now it's fishing around for the most obscure petty piece of shit reasons to not just work.

WHY WONT YOU JUST WORK YOU PIECE OF SHIT CAR?!?!??!!?!!?! ARGGHHHH

Also pirtek the useless cunts don't have an M10 to -4 brake line adapter, so I'll have to drive to motorsport connections before I go to work to get one so that I can finally sort this clutch master out. yay....

Lol, wheel weights, classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Just part it out.

feels good.

Well, the last few days have been fun. Called pirtek yesterday morning, told em not to worry about the adapter as I was just going to go to MSCN and pick one up, and that I would be in at lunchtime to pick my other adapter up which O had left with them.

"Oh but we can just make you one in the next half an hour if you like"

Well, ok then. hopped on the train on my lunchbreak and headed over to mascot. This is what greeted me

Figured it would only be for a day or two anyway, just to get the car to a pinkslip station and then I would sort It. fitted it

Ergh. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. Didn't have much choice anyway as it seems the clutch master I was given was in fact for a completely different car as the offset from the flange to the piston was wrong meaning i had basically no pedal travel. Explains why the fitting was different i guess.... never fear, figured I still have the old clutch master, ill just swap the innards from the new one into the old one and it will be apples! Yes? NO! Whilst the bore in the old clutch master was physically fine, the actual piston design was different, and the piston from the new clutch master simply pushed the fluid up and down the reservoir instead of pressurising the clutch line. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Too stubborn to give up yet, I decided that the last desparate course of action would be to "rebuild" my old clutch master piston by swapping over the seals from the new one. The bore wasn't pitted, so I figured the only thing stopping the old clutch master from working was the piston seals

Forgot to take comparison pics of the two pistons, but when put side by side they were actually visibly different lengths between the two seals. Anyways this somehow worked and I now have a working clutch pedal once again, thank christ.

So finally, with this round of mods complete, I was able to drop the car back on wheels. I've been looking forward to this moment for a while.

Such turbodisc, wow

Also in my previous post I forgot to include pics about the rear brake upgrade. The SW20T calipers didnt go on straight away, the dust cover for the rotors was fouling. Maybe I pushed it back a bit when I knocked the wheel studs out? I haven't heard of anyone else mentioning this previously so I'm guessing it was just that...

Anyways I bent it back out of the way and then the brakes went on nicely

Test drive tomorrow!

Looking forward to this
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post

I'd be rather worried about the holes in the rotor being to large for the wheel studs. Looks to be a few mm of slop there?

Other wise it looks like your got a winner.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

The rotors are hubcentric thanks to the spindle and the wheel nuts will clamp the rotor down, so it shouldn't be an issue from what i understand about how brakes work? Either way, they are standard size studs, and standard replacement front rotors. If it was a problem then someone in a corolla/aw11/etc would have found out about it over the last 30 years

Cool just looks iffy.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Got a wheel alignment done and then got the car re-registered on the weekend Since I didn't have time for any more meaningful mods, I went and slapped on some of the little accessories I had collected on the faildub over the years:

Broadway mirror, domokun, and TOM'S shifter

And then I took it to the club meet tonight!

Everything seems to be working well except I was getting a knock from the right rear, turned out to be a loose wheelnut. Tightened it only for it to come loose again, and then again, and then again...

WTF??!??! Will pull the wheel off tomorrow, maybe one of the new wheel studs isn't all the way in 100%?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Cool just looks iffy.
    whatchootalkingaboutwillis?

most cars are like that from the factory. the disc is clamped to the hub by the wheels and wheelnuts, so doesnt do squat as long as the wheels are done up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

WTF??!??! Will pull the wheel off tomorrow, maybe one of the new wheel studs isn't all the way in 100%?
    absolutely sure you have the right wheel nuts for the new rimz?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

no not absolutely sure, as the rims are almost 30 years old and the wheelnuts are just some alloy "KKR" branded cheap china things. But they worked fine on my previous wheels which were buddyclubs so chances are the seat style ought to be the same, and it's only the one wheel nut which keeps coming loose. There are 3 possible scenarios I can think of atm.

1. New stud isnt pulled in 100%
    2. Wheelnut has a fucked seat
    3. Wheel itself has a fucked seat

Will pull the wheel off tonight and investigate

Well, the knock turned out to be the exhaust! The bolts holding up the right rear hanger seem to have disappeared at some point during the build lol, bolted it all back up and she is all sweet Took it for a decent test run last night, OMG THE BRAKES ARE RIDICULOUSLY GOOD!! Now I just need the power to go with them

Well, the knock turned out to be the exhaust! The bolts holding up the right rear hanger seem to have disappeared at some point during the build lol, bolted it all back up and she is all sweet
    My exhaust did exactly the same thing last year. Made a fairly ominous sound before I worked out what it was!

Yeah so annoying. I was ripping my hair out wondering wtf it could be, went under the car to shake the swaybar and see if it was the source of the noise, and noticed the exhaust was wobbling around instead! haha, at least it wasnt anything more serious i guess...

Those wheels suit it down to the ground. Just looks perfect.

I wholeheartedly approve.
    Quote Originally Posted by 350stato View Post
    100% agree with Shifty

Wow, lots of history with this car. Love the roof mount intercooler idea. New engine is going to be killer.

Bring on the engine build hey.... yeah well I have almost everything now, just head gasket and timing belt to go. So i wondered how I was going costs wise

I really shouldn't have kept a running tab. I stopped counting on the actual car a long time ago, but was curious to see how much the engine was costing. Fuck it, it's only a house deposit right? :S

11k won't be a deposit for much in Sydney i hate to tell you…lol.

lol probably not no....

Your only mistake was adding everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Your only mistake was adding everything up.
    This

Love the work that's gone in to this and the wheels suit it.

I thought my rebuild cost a lot, fuck dat you poor bastard

I had to lend my air flow meter out 2 weeks ago and I still haven't got it back, so yesterday I walked into the garage, tripped over and did this...

Oops, guess I won't need that air flow meter anymore, car was up and running again in just over 5 hours (including finding a base map, finding and printing off wiring diagrams/ecu pinouts etc), guess all that previous practice has paid off :P

Now to go buy some trumpets and enjoy some n/a scream till the 9A is built