Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

So much win in this thread. V.keen to see how the 9AGE goes How long till it goes in?

Waiting on fantapants to get better so I can get his blacktop head. Once I get the head the motor will be getting built immediately, but for obvious reasons I am happy to wait till he gets better, so no real timeline atm.

Fucksakes, get the fucking engine tuned and 2 weeks later the front main seal decides to shit itself. If i run it with any decent revs the front main just spews oil out, which is then promptly caught by the crank pulley and flung all over the engine bay.

Meh, looks like I should be getting the 9A built early in the new year now so not long to wait I guess

Sorted a couple things on the adub tonight. Engine build is finally happening now too so things are getting exciting! Got a bit nostalgic and went back through some of my photos and.... BAM! blast from the past 2008 motherfuckers!! :P

Last edited by trdee; 18-01-15 at 10:44 PM.

Not much to report. Driving it, enjoying it. Waiting on people now (engine builder and fabricator) before things can really move. Still need to sort out the leaking front main on the silvertop, meh.

Pic from 80s photoshoot last week:

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Could have been 1988 by your taste in clothing
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

that's the idea

changed my front main seal and its still leaking oil at high revs will change the dipstick o-ring just in case but i see no oil there. cam seals didnt look to be leaking either. ffs

also i got my oil cooler back today woooooo

Check sump pan !

why would the sump pan leak with revs in a straight line tho? it's not under pressure and there isnt oil sloshing around from cornering so what would be happening to make the pan only leak with revs?

pic of old front main in case anyone notices something I don't

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Could it be running down from the distributor/CAS o-ring?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Dude, your not going to see shit with that mess. Jack her up and degrease the shit outta it. You should easily be able to find the oil leak 'snail trail' then.

I have similar symptoms with my Silvertop in whitegoods. Engine seals are all fine and dry. I'm reckoning in my case it's gearbox seals and CV grease that appears to be diluted with water. New cv boots and bands have gone on the driveshaftw , new axle seals go in next weekend.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Dude, your not going to see shit with that mess. Jack her up and degrease the shit outta it. You should easily be able to find the oil leak 'snail trail' then.
    ^^This. Get under there and hit it with degreaser and a gernie from every angle imaginable and you still won't get it all, but you will be able to see new oil leaking out. Trust me, I've owned a landrover.
    Ya'll don't know what it's like. Being male, middle class and white.

looks like the lip is not touching the crank in that photo!

haha if you notice in the pic ive cleaned around the front main and dipstick in an effort to see where the oil is coming from, but yeah a complete degrease is definitely a good idea also.

ben this is a 20v so the distributor sits on the back of the head, nowhere near this stuff

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    My bad, forgot it was a 20v...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Installed my cusco camber plates. The series 2 chassis doesn't seem to be able to get as much front camber as the series 1, so this should help especially when i fit my slicks

Installing new front balljoints and my spare steering rack tonight. The steering rack currently in the car will be pulled down and rebuilt with new inner plastic bush, new tie rods and rack ends, and a quick rack

Also changed over the oil pump, re-sealed the sump, put in a new dipstick o-ring and degreased everything. If it still leaks now then it can only be something from the top end of the motor, as everything else has been changed. The leak was pretty bad, have chopped like 20L of oil over the last few months lol

months?? fuck cunt there was more oil in and around the engine bay than in the engine!

also confusing japlish instructions are confusing.

might need a speedi sleeve fitted to the crank snout.. N13 pulsars are notorious for it, used to do shitloads years ago (worked at a nissan dealership)

Just looked it up, that's a pretty cool little jigger!

I'm hoping to have this thing doing the motorkhana and drags at toyota nationals in 3 weeks, however the fucking silvertop keeps throwing me curveballs. Finished the steering rack swap and balljoint install today and took it for a drive only to find that the engine now has a very suss clicking noise at low revs, and that it is STILL leaking oil from somewhere. On top of that, I am now getting oil coming out of the breather It isnt much, but it has never pulled oil out of the breather line before. My last hope of an easy solution is the possibility of a blocked PCV. If it isn't that, then the issue may be something far more serious. And that is without even thinking about WTF the clicking noise is. It sounds exhaust leak-y, so hopefully something simple. Will jack the car up tomorrow and see what I can find.

Clicking noise might be an exhaust leak, the muffler has a massive crack in it lol. Pulled pcv out yesterday and it was completely clear and flowed properly :S so the blowby oil out the breather on the back of the head must be legit. It isn't a significant amount, but the breather has never blown any oil before at all... will have to keep a closer eye on it

Pulled the vvt solenoid out and the o-ring was hard as fuck, so changed that. Hopefully it is the last major leak sorted. We will see tonight when I take it for another test drive...

Oil leaks seem to be completely solved at last! Fucking YAY!!! And the exhaust leak is coming from the join between the exhaust manifold and B-pipe. I already have the gaskets so will be sorting that out shortly

Yep, the ring gaskets in the secondaries were fucked!

Also got some filters for the ITBs, all the internet rumours about uni filters killing power are true! The pants-dyno can feel a pretty decent power loss after fitting them

Also re-organised my garage in anticipation of shifting attention from the AW11 to the TA22. Got a powerboard/light combo thingy from Aldi which is fucking awesome and lights up the workbench nicely

Cool updates, glad you sorted the oil out
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Wheel alignment completed today, windscreen cracks repaired, ready to go for Toyota Nationals in 2 weeks!

This seems about as lucky as my Mini.

I'm contemplating get an 'XX number of days since last breakdown' sign.