Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Bought an R34 Sitar today

Had this out at last QR general practice and it didn't miss a beat all day. general practice was on the national circuit is 15 minute sessions so about 9 fast laps per session. no times yet as i didn't have a transponder as for some stupid reason the racecapture system doesn't have the national circuit in it.

was just a shake down/tuning session so was running on gate pressure (8psi), which is roughly 280awkw. car behaved itself, only issue was venting power steering fluid (unsure if foaming or boiling is the culprit) so need a fix for that, likely a small setrab and some mods to the reservoir cap. charge temp/fuel/coolant/oil/brakes were all perfect, as i'd expect at that power level. will head back in two weeks to start ramping in boost (and more front camber!) to see where the pain points start.

impressively, got no engine protection activations from fuel surge all day except for the last session where i was down below 1/4 tank and the fuel light came on during the cool down lap, so the hydramat system is working very well. it's quite thirsty on E85 and I only had one 20l drum. will take a few more next time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	track1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	112506

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	track2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	449.3 KB 
ID:	112505
    Last edited by burn is weird; 03-07-19 at 04:19 PM.

Oo___oO

Nicely done.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Good stuff

Cool

Opens
    Awesome work mate! Great to see it on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Awesome work mate! Great to see it on the track.
    Cheers mate!

went through the ECU logs and I've got about 85 seconds between the top speed points down the front straight, so about 1:25 laps on the national layout, based on the braking point for T1. not sure if that sounds right but for comparisons sake I was a little bit slower than a couple of aussie racing cars I was chasing over a lap, but their corner speeds/braking points were epic.

I've got an additional 20psi of boost I can add, a new set of semis and the MCA golds to go in (with about 2 deg more of front camber required), so I'm hoping I can improve on that a bit as i'd rate my actual steering performance pretty average too. need to work on my lines and vision, I'm fixating on the apexes and all around pretty rusty on the brakes too.

need some help with tyres. the hankook RS3s are 4 years old and nearly dead and quite slippery. looking at PSC2, RS4, AD08r, RE71r etc as options. and have no idea what to go with. PSC2 are currently in front.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 05-07-19 at 03:04 PM.

Oo___oO

Racecapture definitely has National circuit, you might need to enable it or update the firmware. The newest firmware will prompt you for track configuration
    Last edited by jabtronic; 05-07-19 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jabtronic View Post
    Racecapture definitely has National circuit, you might need to enable it or update the firmware. The newest firmware will prompt you for track configuration
    You're right.. Just uninstalled and reinstalled in my phone and it's showing up in the track list... Whoops.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    Cheers mate!

went through the ECU logs and I've got about 85 seconds between the top speed points down the front straight, so about 1:25 laps on the national layout, based on the braking point for T1. not sure if that sounds right but for comparisons sake I was a little bit slower than a couple of aussie racing cars I was chasing over a lap, but their corner speeds/braking points were epic.

I've got an additional 20psi of boost I can add, a new set of semis and the MCA golds to go in (with about 2 deg more of front camber required), so I'm hoping I can improve on that a bit as i'd rate my actual steering performance pretty average too. need to work on my lines and vision, I'm fixating on the apexes and all around pretty rusty on the brakes too.

need some help with tyres. the hankook RS3s are 4 years old and nearly dead and quite slippery. looking at PSC2, RS4, AD08r, RE71r etc as options. and have no idea what to go with. PSC2 are currently in front.
    What's the purpose for the tyres? All rounder, RS4, AD08R. Outright speed, RE71R.
    Comfort with the soft sidewalls, PSC2. I'd only view PSC2 as a tyre for 19"+ wheels.
    Expect to go through PSC2 and RE71R quicker than the other two options especially if you align with aggressive camber/toe.

Had AD08Rs on my 32 GTR (340kw) and rate them as a road/night fun tyre. Going through bends though its grip grip grip and then minimal noise and they're out of grip. That said, 95% of the time I ran out of nuts before they ran out of grip, so they're either really good or I'm not doing right.

Have Pilot Sport 4s now, and they don't have the outright grip, but seem much progressive if that makes sense..

cheers for the insight,

really the car gets driven sometimes on a sunday but will be mostly track, and i feel that my oil pressure will be the limiting factor for how much lateral grip i can actually use. and a balance of performance and tyre life. I'm currently using RS3s and they've lasted me a long time. great bang for buck and very stiff.

I do like a stiff sidewall as far as feel goes, but maximum dry grip is currently the priority. from a bit of reading it appears the list in increasing outright dry performance is:

AD08R
    RS4
    PSC2
    Direzza III
    RE71R

the problem is lots of the tyre feedback seems to come from MX-5 guys, and I have loads more power and loads more weight so not sure if that data is transferrable to my car.

but honestly, I'm not looking for that last 0.5s so may be overthinking it. i just want a tyre that'll do 5+ laps flat out without going to shit.

other cheap option to try is the Nankang AR-1.. seem to be pretty popular down the pit lane during sprint practice.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 11-07-19 at 10:04 AM.

Oo___oO

5 laps flat out might be wishful thinking on all of those. Except maybe the PSC2 but the sidewalls are soft. PSC2R is supposed to have a softer compound but stiffer sidewall. No clue on availability, sizing nor price. Worth looking into.
    In line with Modified's feedback, AD08R loss of grip from overheating tends to coincide with the noise. They're really progressive so you can still slide the thing to a laptime if you're game but other than that, it's usually couple hotlaps, cooldown before going again. Rinse & repeat.

AR-1 seems to have a narrow working window esp for heavier 1.5T odd cars from what I've heard. Are noisy, probably drive you crazy on a Sunday drive to/from tracks. But they're cheap.

Maybe R888R or NT01 would be better suited. There's heaps of different reviews on this tyre. NT01 delamination/QC issues, R888R drastically changes balance of the car. That said, they're both durable and yanks do more than 5 laps flat out on them.

there is a new goodyear supersport RS i hear whispers of that porsche are putting on their GT2 RS, but may be a while away yet (and $$$$$$$$$$$$)

Oo___oO

AD08R are very hardy, have a stiff sidewall and should cope with 5 laps no problem.
    I've done multiple 10 lap stints in a day on AD08Rs in my M140i (1550kgs and 300rwkw) and they were fine.

Only other tyre I've used on your list are the Cup 2s. I found them softer feeling and much less durable.
    I killed the front tyres on a Megane Trophy R very quickly. They were also shockingly bad when cold.

+1 for the AD08R's. I've had them on both my GTR's. They hang on brilliantly and last very, very well.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Quote Originally Posted by lickmyleftone View Post
    +1 for the AD08R's. I've had them on both my GTR's. They hang on brilliantly and last very, very well.
    What are they like in a straight line and from a launch with your current power? I presume the stiff sidewall isnt ideal?

I only had them on when I first bought the car 6 years ago. Had them for nearly 12 months and they were fine with 480hp repeated launches. Very good tyre life.

I have Sailun semi slicks on it now, which are surprisingly good for fast street driving ( when warmed up and on low boost 588 ) but are pretty sketchy cold and don't cope with high boost setting, unless you are going dead straight.

On the street with high boost, first is all spin, second gear is lane changing wheelspin and third gear is squirmy. I prefer to keep it on low, unless at QR.

On the track, I've not launched it from a standing start with current power, but straight line roll racing gives a bit of spin in second, then good traction to the end.

I briefly had Nitto Invo's on it 9 months ago, but sold them after a few weeks, as they had no grip.
    Last edited by lickmyleftone; 17-07-19 at 05:05 PM.

I only had them on when I first bought the car 6 years ago. Had them for nearly 12 months and they were fine with 480hp repeated launches. Very good tyre life.

I have Sailun semi slicks on it now, which are surprisingly good for fast street driving ( when warmed up and on low boost 588 ) but are pretty sketchy cold and don't cope with high boost setting, unless you are going dead straight.

On the street with high boost, first is all spin, second gear is lane changing wheelspin and third gear is squirmy. I prefer to keep it on low, unless at QR.

On the track, I've not launched it from a standing start with current power, but straight line roll racing gives a bit of spin in second, then good traction to the end.

I briefly had Nitto Invo's on it 9 months ago, but sold them after a few weeks, as they had no grip.
    is your 33 still running 4.11 diff gears or did they change it out to 3.54?
    RB26......................Again

Hahaha good point. There aren't tyres in the world that would hold 1st gear with 4.111s

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Oo___oO

Thats weird regarding the Invos.. thats what im running now and i think they hold up fairly good on the street

The car does squirm through the lanes a fuckload, but if it lights up its brief and the car still accelerates

Diffs are 4.11

Some ET streets might help, but they wouldn't last long on the street, so no point, considering how rarely I go to roll racing anymore.

I was expecting good things with the Invo's, but they were really bad mid corner. Tail happy/scary bigtime. Seemed to have little or no progressive feel to them.