Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Bought an R34 Sitar today

Fark thats logging is awesome. You can get around to whatever you need quickly.

By the way, your pump is very quiet compared to what I'm used to. ;-)

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Do you setup the name and plots for each log tab?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Unless you are measuring turbo inlet and outlet pressure attempting to map is useless, turbo speed is only really good for overspeed protection in that case. If your inlet condition is 3-5% density reduction on atmosphere and you have a few pound across the intercooler the whole efficiency map and speed curves move to the left and down relative to your mass flow/inlet manifold pressure condition points.

If you work out the true pressure ratio and corrected/scaled mass flow number you might find the shaft speed makes a lot more sense. If you want to think of it the other way, your true conditions will be pushing your "should be here" dot a decent chunk higher and a bit futher to the right on that map than what fuel calc/intake manifold pressure suggests for standard conditions.
    Last edited by Slides; 03-03-18 at 01:09 PM.

Aiming for a clutch that will hold around 530kw as that gives scope of I move to the rumoured EFR8474 in the works, which would just be a supercore swap. Realistic limit for the 8374 is around 450-470kw I think.

Have settled on an ATS carbon twin plate, have seen this hold 550kw on a 2.8l so should do me and found a new one at a great price.

Also got some new BOVs coming to solve the leaking air issue (I've verified theyre passing under boost)

problem solvered

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28693414_10155162399700880_1859882344_o.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	105028
    Last edited by burn is weird; 05-03-18 at 11:11 AM.

Oo___oO

Doesn't have enough brightly anodized colours. Must be shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

How did you determine the BOV is definitely leaking?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

By fitting a condom and rubber band over each one, and watching them blow up during a 4th gear pull...
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    How did you determine the BOV is definitely leaking?
    disconnected bov return hose and felt a breeze. can hear it roar as well.

going to pull them and check first to make sure its not stuck/poor movement/seal gone etc. as they should hold stacks of pressure, diaphragm looks much larger than the valve area.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 06-03-18 at 11:13 AM.

Oo___oO

OK clutch is in, also did a boost test to 35psi, BOV valve seats are stuffed, passing air even at low boost, then they get worse as you increase the pressure. maybe diaphragm has been compromised internally, unsure if it's one or both but doesn't matter they're going in the bin. have replaced them with a pair of GFB mach2 plumb back bovs with 38mm outlet adapters that are plug and play on rb26 skylines and are also adjustable. no more leaks, tested @ 35psi.

new version 2 crank trigger from platinum racing on the way, then the car is done and lots of track time this year.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 27-03-18 at 02:08 PM.

Oo___oO

Cool. Do you really need bovs for your application, and if you believe so why not the turbo front cover ones?

The 8474s are already getting around on rotaries, turblown has them if noone else you have enquired with does.

Bovs, strictly speaking probably didn't require them but I don't like all the surge chatter that these turbos otherwise produce. A mate has a 7163 on a 1.5JZ and using the efr comp port it carried on with all sorts of noises, including really loud surge choofs on gear changes at 98 boost levels. now he's put a large veeport on it and the problem has gone away.

The 8374 flows way more air and if you look at the efr port, it's like 20mm. Not large enough to flow the required air on a shut throttle event in my opinion.

Also interested you've heard about the 8474 around the place, the only one I've heard of is on an evo. I can't find any mention anywhere on the web so feel free to point me in the right direction. Turblown are still Facebooking about 9174s going on cars which is now a kind of redundant option if the 8474 is actually available.

I may have been mistaken then?

I can understand keeping a bov for noise/throttle transition on something that spools easily.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Doesn't have enough brightly anodized colours. Must be shit.
    Fucken lol

Opens
    It's looking good mate. It makes me think I should pressure test mine. It comes on boost so late. Perhaps it has a few leaks.

clutch is unsprung and was super grabby for the first few takeoffs, but after driving around for 30 minutes in city traffic it is a really nice clutch to drive.

It jingles due to all the plates banging around with the clutch pedal depressed, but that's a lot quieter than a warm getrag at idle.. sounds like there are rocks and metal chunks banging around in there when the clutch engaged (they all seem to do it).

I thought the un-sprung centre hub would make it a bit of a bastard to drive but the carbon plates make it really smooth, I'm sure it is a strong contributing factor to the getrag being louder at idle Pedal effort with the 1350kg pressure plate is fine. highly recommend it so far. gear change is much quicker too, the carbon plates were like 200 grams each so the synchros don't have to work very hard at all.

clutch that came out was actually a Nismo Gmax, so welcome to the early 2000s, and definately wasn't going to do the job....friction plates have nothing left on them.

apparently need to bed new one in for "800-1000 miles" to build up a friction transfer layer on the metal discs before really getting up it for drag launches etc according to the manual.. fucken.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 28-03-18 at 02:31 PM.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    It's looking good mate. It makes me think I should pressure test mine. It comes on boost so late. Perhaps it has a few leaks.
    definately worth doing on such an old car. just make sure that the bov plumb back piping is NOT part of the pressurised pipework. you may need to pressure test from the "twin turbo" boost pipe forwards if you're still using twins

Oo___oO

Haha how good is the sound of a twin plate

Cunts walking by just look at you when you park in a carpark wondering why you dont have oil in your motor

yea at the lights I have two options

a) twin plate jingle
    b) getrag v160 box of rocks rattle

can choose which I'd rather listen to by pressing clutch or not. am running a bit of a survey on the motoring public while driving around brisbane. had a few people wind up their windows due to the getrag, none yet because of twin plate haha
    Last edited by burn is weird; 29-03-18 at 05:29 PM.

Oo___oO

I'm sick of explaining to the punters why my clutch and gearbox sound like they will implode every time I push the clutch in. Go back to your Corolla cunts!!

Don’t then?

”yeah mate it’s fucked, shoulda kept my VT SS” is all you need to say.

"Youre telling me your clutch DOESNT make that noise?!"

Hey Burn, how have you gone with that fuel mat setup? All good?

Im pretty sure my mate wants to buy one for his VL turbo, but i havent seen anyone with any actual real world reports

Awesome build, you have the patience of a saint sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by yohoes View Post
    "Youre telling me your clutch DOESNT make that noise?!"

Hey Burn, how have you gone with that fuel mat setup? All good?

Im pretty sure my mate wants to buy one for his VL turbo, but i havent seen anyone with any actual real world reports
    Haven't had any issues with it as yet. Flowed 450lph without issue during testing, first week of may we'll be maxing out the 8374 on e85 so that will be the real test once I get it to a track. Turn 1 and 2 of QR (high speed right handers) will be a great test as the pickup is in the right hand side of the saddle.

I had some concerns before ordering mine about flow limits and I couldn't get anything technical out of holley (all US car part companies seem to be terrible at publishing or releasing technical details). So I just bit the bullet and bought them.

I ended up using two smaller ones in parallel to ensure adequate flow and also cover as much of the floor of the saddle tank as I could. I would definitely run one of the larger square or rectangle ones with the 1/2 npt fitting if in-tank space permits, They will flow much more. I calculated the total mat area of the 11x11 mat to be about 10% more than my two mats combined. The secret to them performing well is to have the rail return flwojng straight back onto the mat near the pickup point so it is always wet and will wick properly.

There have been reports of diesel contaminated fuel clogging them up but you'd have to be unlucky, and I'm running a fuel pressure sensor for compensation and protection functions so no chance of engine damage if it does start to go bad and restrict flow.

Testing in a bucket they performed fantastically though. Longevity is still unknown though.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 01-04-18 at 07:55 PM.

Sounds decent so far, cheers for the info ill pass it on

Definitely keen to hear your on-going testing with it out of curiosity either way

Crank Trigger from Platinum racing arrived. Now the car is starting to look like 750+hp I thought it should probably fire a cylinder consistently at the right angle. not having to reset the timing with a light every time you pull the CAS off to fiddle with the cams is nice too.

trigger wheel is fused to the timing gear so it cannot come loose/move. am going to use the AEM wheel in the stock CAS for the single window reset, no point spending another 450 bucks on a cam trigger I don't need, and it'll look stock.

part of my engineering OCD is rankled about being a 12 tooth rather than a 36-1 but I'll get over it. have no motivation left to do a custom setup, rather just chuck something proven in. got burned in the past with Ross balancers chucking belts so didn't wan't to go down that road.

Name:	29791312_1229223413874860_5926440658091900928_o.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	105545

Name:  30261163_1229223363874865_3381145366631022592_o.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  131.0 KB

this is what it looks like using the Stock CAS

Name:	Plot.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	105547
    Last edited by burn is weird; 06-04-18 at 02:35 PM.

Oo___oO

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    When will you fit?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Sometime this month

Bit of a prick, radiator out, 445nm balancer bolt off, pull standard gear, install the new one, check cam timing is ok, retorque bolt to 445nm and refit radiator
    Last edited by burn is weird; 06-04-18 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JGTC View Post
    Awesome build, you have the patience of a saint sticking with it.
    thanks mate! it's been a long hobby for sure.

Oo___oO

oh, i did get a video of dyno (quite loud and not much to see)

Last edited by burn is weird; 09-04-18 at 09:16 PM.

Oo___oO