Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought an R34 Sitar today

The R32 wouldn't be too far ahead in G forces etc than your beast. Seriously, it would be fine. It's the one part on the cars that really gives zero problem. Check the belt occasionaly, and drive. I'd run one on a streeter no problems at all. The trick is mounting the tank somewhere that the car doesn't oil fume excessively (boot and vent it). That's really no more of an issue than getting the front mounted catch can breather to not stink up the car.

Maybe have a chat to the guys at C&j Motorsport. They're good guys despite their *somewhat grumpy demeanor* (they have a low dickhead tolerance but you're not one), and have always tuned the cars and had them very reliable. Whether they can work with your ECU I'm unsure.
    Last edited by Marlin; 12-02-15 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burn4005 View Post
    Yes for the DIY.I like playing with stuff, it uses the newer LSU4.9 sensor and, it has built in three channels of thermocouple inputs (I'm running 2, one in each manifold). The display will show both Afr and the thermocouple temps at the press of a button, which is nice. Or digits for Afr and bar graph for say 800-1000 degrees egt. I've also written some code for a PIC-18F microcontroller that reads the serial stream from this tech edge and will produce an output serial stream that uses the innovate protocol.
    I got the techedge DIY unit, was pretty dissapointed with the junk case they give you. Its just some generic piece of crap plastic case from jaycar (probably $2) with some hack job cutouts for the various headers and plugs. Their site is absolute crap, and their support is possibly the worst ive ever had. My kit came with a couple of bits missing, sent 4 emails over 2 weeks with no reply, then called them and he acted like I was wasting his time (because he was going on a cycling trip in 1 week) and he said he didnt have time to do these sorts of things.

The dickhead has no idea what it means to run a business or support customers when he screws up. That said, they shipped it out quickly when i bought the unit, I would just get a prebuilt one if I was doing that again. Or get a different one all together lol. No one needs all that stupid logging crap on a wideband
    Last edited by nuk1ear; 12-02-15 at 09:51 AM.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Dat wideband doe LOL
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

How drunk are you on a scale of 1 to mel gibson Jason?

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    The R32 wouldn't be too far ahead in G forces etc than your beast..
    You cannot be serious?
    Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
    Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
    Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

Define "too far" . Although seriously, I was Probably more referring to the car in the earlier, Dutton type days. It's was only on 265 rubber and no aero or suspension geometry alterations. In fact it's still remarkably "stock".

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    How drunk are you on a scale of 1 to mel gibson Jason?
    9:15 AM here, so just barely but on my way. Flight to site in 4 hours I hope to not remember.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Define "too far" . Although seriously, I was Probably more referring to the car in the earlier, Dutton type days. It's was only on 265 rubber and no aero or suspension geometry alterations. In fact it's still remarkably "stock".
    I remember when their R32 still ran stock brakes at QR
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Adaptronic. Jason shared some cool-aid with you?
    Haha yep! I program logic controllers for a living so when I saw the logic builder in advanced mode that was a revelation. You can program it to do whatever you can imagine. As long as the ignition and fuel timing outputs are accurate its the ideal ecu for me. Some find it awkward and confusing, but its speaking my language.

Only thing close is the new fully programmable motec ecus at about 5k a pop.

Oo___oO

More bits! Mines pipe. Equal length. should sound rad.

Oo___oO

How does a dry sump system go on a car that does 5000 to 1000km a year? This is my only car. Serious question.
    fine
    911 has it from factory, it's been good. but holds a lot more oil so takes longer to warm up though.
    i would have assumed if this is a street car mainly, there would be better ways to spend the money though?

Opens
    911s have had dry sump for donkeys years. My mate has a 67 engine that he's always messing with. The dry sump system nerve seems to miss a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by nuk1ear View Post
    I got the techedge DIY unit, was pretty dissapointed with the junk case they give you. Its just some generic piece of crap plastic case from jaycar (probably $2) with some hack job cutouts for the various headers and plugs. Their site is absolute crap, and their support is possibly the worst ive ever had. My kit came with a couple of bits missing, sent 4 emails over 2 weeks with no reply, then called them and he acted like I was wasting his time (because he was going on a cycling trip in 1 week) and he said he didnt have time to do these sorts of things.

The dickhead has no idea what it means to run a business or support customers when he screws up. That said, they shipped it out quickly when i bought the unit, I would just get a prebuilt one if I was doing that again. Or get a different one all together lol. No one needs all that stupid logging crap on a wideband
    it was quite an experience, I'll agree! Funny I was pretty happy with the case, needed the swarf trimmed off but looks good in black and everything fits well fully assembled.

I heeded your advise about customer service so i didn't even bother getting in touch with them with my issues, it probably took an extra 2 hours work to sort out the problems i encountered, the root cause of which was poor or scattered documentation of known faults.

the documentation is woeful and scattered all over their website. (Takes me ages every time to find the serial protocol info page) and there are several mistakes on the PCB. one of which is a dead short between 5v and gnd on the Red LED control circuit which renders the whole board inoperable... it is mentioned in the instructions on 3 pages in 3 different ways and no note on the PCB layout graphic. I found it checking the assembled unit against the processor schematic, and after cutting the track on the PCB it functioned correctly. there are two other faults in the PCB design that need to be corrected with patch wires, and its Rev 2 of the kit! Oh and one of the smd caps soldered to the preassembled wideband board had broken off in transit so that had to be resoldered back on, which was fiddly.

other problem I had was poor serial comms to the unit. very patchy...spent a bit of time checking for bad joints, then i saw the parts list for the serial chip stated an HIN202 was to be used, but my kit was supplied with a MAX232 instead.. the HIN needs 100nf charge pump caps (that are the ones supplied with the kit), i checked the datsheet for the MAX232, and it needs 1uf caps instead.. so off to jaycar, got some 1uf tantalums, I had to work out the correct polarity direction before installing them but now everything is rock solid at 19200 baud. i'm not sure the cap size is that critical in this application, so maybe it was just the rework randomly fixed a cold joint. but who knows. using the chip makers specs has to be the better way.

display is very fast (10hz digits, 50hz bar graph), and thermocouple inputs are reading correctly with good response.

but if you're not familiar with electronics and ICs i would definately not recommend the DIY kit. if i had to rely on tech edge support to diagnose my issues, from what i've heard i'd be waiting a long time. but if anyone wants to give it a crack i'm happy to help them out.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 26-02-15 at 09:29 AM.

Oo___oO

fuck, i bought a prebuilt tech edge years ago that i havent got around to using yet.. fucker better be right inside!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Hahahahaha that sounds fucking terrible even for a DIY kit.. its beyond what you would expect a at home DIYer to be able to make work

Im very familiar with component level electronics and id do a credit card reversal if i encounted that bullshit

Opens
    Nice work Alex. What a pain in the arse. It sounds like you got there in the end. That was a good pickup on the MAX232 requiring different caps.

Car is booked in to fit sump, breathers, quaife front diff, HKS2530s, coated midori seibi dumps and mines front pipe.

finished the design on the Serial protocol Converter too.. nice and simple. input port is centered, output is offfset. Fab will take around a week. will post the code for the PIC18F when i'm finished too. will be a useful bit of gear for converting one known protocol to another. currently powered by 12v on Pin8 of the input rj45 (techedge supplies this) that feeds a 78L05 5v regulator. but you could add separate power terminals otherwise and feed it a separate 12v, or remove the reg and give it 5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	serial board.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	82249
    Last edited by burn is weird; 09-03-15 at 01:58 PM.

Oo___oO

Motor getting pulled for the sump and diff?

Yep

Sump -10 on passenger side to head drain, 2x-12 on drivers side. One blocked for future, one piped to oil cap.
    Diff
    1.2mm restrictor (this one is shit because head needs to come off just for this.. New studs/head gasket..)
    Nitto Rear head vent/drain

Anything else while its out?
    Last edited by burn is weird; 09-03-15 at 06:46 PM.

Oo___oO

If its getting the head off slap some 248 cams in it with 10.8 lift and new springs

248! Is that a typo? I've got tomei 260s at 9.15mm at the moment

Oo___oO

Whatever the current rage
    252 10.5 lift also a winna

And thia ia not a typo
    Street rbs love a low duration high lift cam

Brutal on the valvetrain bit epic mid rane

Quote Originally Posted by fatz View Post
    And thia ia not a typo
    Street rbs love a low duration high lift cam

Brutal on the valvetrain bit epic mid rane
    Is your keyboard going flat mate?

Drunk and on holidays

Mines r34 ran 258 x 10.8 lift cams

Seems to work. a heap of local sydney lads swear buy it( mostly cock lovers)

I guess that means the head needs to be stripped and clearanced for the huge lobes too?

Oo___oO

Yup but if ya pulling it may as well

Well that's 2k I wasn't planning on spending!

Oo___oO

Save evebn more and leave the head on
    Once you let the nissan out they are never the same

Hahahahahaha.

The wonderful world of alcohol and GTR's.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.