Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legit uncool turbo holden tonner

Legit uncool turbo holden tonner

Yep, an auto moo in a vy tonner chassis with a turbo slapped on, not exactly anyone's idea of a sweet ride.

VY V6 auto Tonner because
    - cheap
    - 2100kg tow capacity
    - massive tray
    - ecotec & 4l60e combo relatively simple and easy to work on

The thing will be my daily, parts mover, future tow car for the AW11 & sleeper (well, with a target of around 250rwkws, by today's standards that isn't much chop)

Hoping to get it up and running for Powercruise #50, but that will depend on whether I can line up a tuner in time.

Mods:
    Engine - 1.9:1 YT roller rockers (left over from a pervious car), EGR delete, PCV valve delete
    Auto - Sonnax 'shift kit', billet 2nd & 4th pistons (something different to the usual Transgo kit), PWR air 2 ATF tranny cooler (in-line with factory coolant 2 ATF cooler)
    Converter - standard (would love to go 1000rpm or so above standard, but this is my first auto, so I'll see how the stock converter behaves)
    Fuel - 440cc injectors, walbro 255L/hr in-tank pump, in-tank fuel filter deleted and external filter added
    Brakes - C4 Corvette front calipers on 330mm rotors & standard rear
    Wheels - Load rated 18s (heavy mo fo's)
    Suspension - Lowered King Springs (coils & leaves) on shitty shocks
    Turbo kit - GT35R from a Falcon - 0.7 comp & 1.03 internal w/gate turb, log manifolds - 32 pri & 40 sec, 3" straight through exhaust, aluminium FMIC piping - 2.5" hot & 3" cold, PWR 600x300x75 FMIC, T/smart Kompact BOV
    Management - AEM FI/C6 interceptor with a hardwired wideband oxy sensor
    Interior - boost & AFR gauges, Pioneer MP3 & Bluetooth headunit

Future Mods:
    V6 supercharged bottom end
    Last edited by crack; 28-08-14 at 11:28 AM.

As of today:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tonner (4).JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	77024

Mods so far:

Name:	tonner (1).JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	77021

Name:	tonner (2).JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	77022

Name:	tonner (3).JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	77023

Name:	tonner (5).JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	77025

Name:	tonner (6).JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	77026

Name:	tonner (7).JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	77027

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    Looks great. Those manifolds are almost too good to be called logs.
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

Bought the thing standard (apart from lowered King Springs) from a used car dealer. Let me just say that he did an awesome job of polishing this turd up; lots of little things wrong with it that I didn't pick up until after I bought it. It's got 180k kms on it and the chassis is straight, so can't complain.

Speaking of chassis, this thing has a monocoque front with a 'chassis' rear. The rear chassis rails literally bolt to a rear firewall on the monocoque. Pretty innovative idea.

you have great skills man. love your threads.
    caprice nugget.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JZR31 View Post
    Looks great. Those manifolds are almost too good to be called logs.
    Cheers. A collector manifold would have been cheaper and easier to make given that I already had the design for one. However, all the cool kids run logs these days, so I wanted in on the bandwagon.

Awesome man.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Why is the turbo placed like that? Space issues, cooling etc?

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitephyre View Post
    Pop the bonnet of any mooodore and it's a fairly obvious placement.

This should be a fun sleeper but please make it not sound like a aids v6 moo mobile with a drain pipe exhaust god that sound shits me.
    Last edited by Morcs; 28-08-14 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitephyre View Post
    There is plenty of room on the passenger side of the bay but having it out middle front makes it so easy to work on.

E.g.:
    the turbo and front cross over part of the manifold can be removed as one piece by undoing both manifold v-bands
    can change plugs without having to dismantle anything
    most guys who put the manifold on the passenger side need to move the throttle body to the driver side of the plenum, which is a bit of dicking around

The main disadvantage would be needing a dump pipe a few foot longer and with an extra 90deg bend in it. Also, extra heat in the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Pop the bonnet of any mooodore and it's a fairly obvious placement.

This should be a fun sleeper but please make it not sound like a aids v6 moo mobile with a drain pipe exhaust god that sound shits me.
    Unfortunately the thing will sound like an aids v6 moo mobile with a drain pipe exhaust, albeit with the turbo providing a bit more muffling. However, the 0cpi cat will be providing 0dB muffling, so that might cancel the turbo out.

great fab skills. still a little stumped why not spend $1500 for a mang ls1, add turbo for eleventy billion more killerwasps.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Because he has the moo, and the difference between 400hp and 600hp in a tonner ute, is about 15seconds less tyre life.
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

That and because he seems to be a v6 loving weirdo
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Those manifolds look fantastic, you should make some more & sell em.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Not everyone can have ls1's... Oh wait. Besides the moo's don't sound too bad, until the wastegate opens.
    Its all looking suitably OCD, hopefully this one gets finished and not stripped and pensioned off before its time.

ls is good, love mine, but have some sick in the head closet love for turbo 6 holden/non rb shitness. Maybe something to do with the first thing everyone says is why no ls.

I'll do it to my mooick at some point. Look forward to seeing how it goes.

And on that edit, awesome work with the thoroughness side of things, will be good to see an approximate how much/what's involved in the wash.
    Last edited by darwinschops; 29-08-14 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Those manifolds look fantastic, you should make some more & sell em.
    making manifolds off a plan is boring as. if each manifold was custom then that would be the ticket but it would be hard to make a dime from doing that

Quote Originally Posted by darwinschops View Post
    ls is good, love mine, but have some sick in the head closet love for turbo 6 holden/non rb shitness. Maybe something to do with the first thing everyone says is why no ls.
    This man gets it.

Might not seem like a logical choice when the similar cost alternatives are an LS1 6sp Tonner or a beat up Falcon Tonner + xr6t driveline.
    Not after all that much power though; just enough to troll upper middle class shmucks with their 'sporty' personalised plate whatevers.
    Moo+t will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    hopefully this one gets finished and not stripped and pensioned off before its time.
    Dont confuse Crack and Cracka.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Dont confuse Crack and Cracka.
    Now that you mention it I do see some similarities in automotive journeys here but no I did mean that comment for crack. The 626 was the only project which saw a degree of completeness. With the red ute stripped before being properly tuned and the white 1j ute about to receive the same fate it's shame to see such well thought out and well fabricated projects not see their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by lysdexia View Post
    That and because he seems to be a v6 loving weirdo

Pretty much what I figured. V6 turbo is v6 turbo however and better than a dick in the eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    Now that you mention it I do see some similarities in automotive journeys here but no I did mean that comment for crack. The 626 was the only project which saw a degree of completeness. With the red ute stripped before being properly tuned and the white 1j ute about to receive the same fate it's shame to see such well thought out and well fabricated projects not see their potential.
    Sweet story bro. You just focus on your never ending Celica money pit.

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    making manifolds off a plan is boring as. if each manifold was custom then that would be the ticket but it would be hard to make a dime from doing that
    wanna make me a pair of one off custom manifolds?

Provided you stick to your business plan bolded above

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    Sweet story bro. You just focus on your never ending Celica money pit.
    True , I just dwell on others unfinished projects to distract me from my own pile of rusty parts which has been neglected for months.

Name:	IMG_4141.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	77133

first time I've had everything mechanical in the bay
    Last edited by crack; 03-09-14 at 10:25 PM. Reason: pic link broken

next up is wiring:

- lengthen MAF & IAT
    - separate out oxy & knock sensor wiring & reroute to new oxy & knock sensor positions
    - add interceptor & wideband oxy
    - add AFR & boost gauge

after that is tray refurbish (incl. custom roll bar in place of standard headboard extrusions), raise the front end a little, inspect bushes, load in VY sedan shift & TC lockup patterns, new headlining, new tint, 15psi tune & fix a/c (new pipe to & from a/c condenser needed).

won't make powercruise but not too fussed because there will be plenty of cruising to be had in a month when it's finished.

Neat install, any updates?

mang mang mang

Cheers.

Yeah, stuff has been happening but not performance related so I've have been slack with updates.

Put new front springs in to raise the front a bit. Bought 'lows' to replace the 'superlows'. Only raised the f'ing thing 10mm. At least I got flogged out strut top bearings and sway bar bushes replaced whilst doing the spring swap.

Also spent a week refurbishing the tray. No before pics of the tray but it was the standard commercial vehicle spec. Bed was really high, front ladder rack was made of bolted together aluminium extrusion and looked ugly as, bulky tail lights, damaged rope rails, rusty bolts, etc.

So...
    made some lowered chassis mounts
    trimmed 25mm off the depth of the side & rear combing rails (to allow the tray to be lowered more)
    bought slim line LED tail & no. pl. lights and made brackets for them
    got a custom 3" front roll bar bent up
    trimmed 100mm off the headboard height (to get it level with the dropsides)
    custom rope rails and mounting brackets
    all new zinc fasteners

Happy with the result. Still looks ratty up close but was always going to be starting with a used tray. Considered making a steel tray (even fully modeled one up) but it would be significantly heavier, more costly and would never be as practical as the aluminium tray.

Next up is the cab. Have to replace a broken light switch & sagging headlining. Also, have to install boost and AFR gauges. Then it should be good for first start.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	77550

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	77551

Name:	tonner (2).JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	77553

Name:	tonner (1).JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	77554

Name:	tonner (3).JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	77552
    Last edited by crack; 19-09-14 at 08:51 PM.

Looking sharp
    DJ's don't need sigs

cliffs:
    * this thing starts and runs

boring details (pre start):
    * spent half a day on and off trying to get a connection between laptop and interceptor. tried a bunch of things. friend came over and tried a bunch of things. then he suggested uninstalling and reinstalling software... it worked.
    * spent a day or so on the computer (away from car) setting up a 'base tune' for the interceptor including a spreadsheet that calc's theoretical fuel map
    * uploaded base tune to interceptor and went for first start... nothing
    * multimeter shows battery has 12v but bridge out starter relay and car doesn't crank, so is obviously flat battery
    * ghetto some jumper leads up to another battery and car cranks off a bridged starter relay
    * reinstall starter relay and try and start off ignition key... nothing
    * trouble shoot starter circuit and find park/neutral switch not switching properly courtesy of the auto shifter not shifting properly
    * find out that the auto shifter linkage can be installed in two different positions and I picked the wrong position
    * change auto shifter linkage position and it cranks off the key but doesn't fire
    * strong smell of fuel - investigations reveal firewall hardline to hose connections around the wrong way. there are three hardline to hose connections at the firewall - 2 for fuel & 1 for charcoal canister. who the fuck would have thought that the 2 hardlines grouped together and the 1 separated hardline would not be for the 2 fuel hoses and the 1 charcoal canister line respectively? not me apparently
    * auto refuses to fill - constantly backing up and spilling out filler neck during filling. google issue and find that a blocked breather can cause the issue. check the breather that I used on the auto and it turns out that it has a check valve built into it that is against the direction of venting pressure. gut the breather's check valve and reinstall
    * give the engine bay a quick clean of all spilt fuel, auto fluid, etc. and fire up the car - runs fine with initially a little noise in the valve train due to new rockers
    * give coolant system a quick bleed and top up other fluids and head out for first drive

boring details (post start):
    * quick coolant bleed seems to have air locked the water pump and the thing overheated straight away - easy fix
    * LED tail lights cause the flasher relay to operate much quicker - inline resistor may be needed in each rear indicator circuit
    * fuel level sender doesn't work - probably a tray off job to repair - PITA
    * car idles, cruises and shifts like factory up until 2k rpm at which point there is misfire and an inability to rev any further. will most likely remove interceptor and put factory injectors back in to see if the problem goes away and then go from there

remaining punch list:
    * all items in the post start section above
    * front wheel align
    * a/c pressure test and regas
    * tint
    * final tune

thing looks and sounds a shit ton different from when it was taken off the road a few months ago. hopefully soon it goes a fair bit harder too.
    Last edited by crack; 24-09-14 at 02:10 AM.