Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legit uncool turbo holden tonner

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    Awesome work. I look forward to the results of the tune.
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

I still own this thing. It has only ever run on wastegate boost (5ish PSI) and the extent of the servicing it's had since the turbo conversion has been oil and oil filter every year. I drive it at least 50km per weekday and I'd be lucky if I bring it onto boost a couple times per week, so it's been a boring ownership so far #commuterlyfe. I bought it to tow the AW11 around but the AW11 has not been running basically the entire time I've owned this lol.

I suck at cars.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd show it a little love so I purchased a water/meth kit for the AW11 a year in advance and will use it on the Tonner in the meantime. The aim is 15psi with the water/meth. Also, the factory seats were uncomfortable and unsupportive, so I'm trying out some WRX seats. It took no less than 3 sets of brackets and 2 types of sliders before I could get these low enough in the car to be happy with.

The diff got very noisy 6 months ago so i bought another cheap Tonner for the replacement diff. (Now I have to decide what to do with my spare Tonner!)

Looks like I'll probably move house soon, so the 15psi tune will have to wait as I need to get the AW11 running under its own power again. Will update again once extra boosts are on board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2764.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	100002
    pump and reservoir behind seat (green & red LED on dash for operation & empty)

Name:	IMG_2765.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	100001
    injection immediately before throttle body

Name:	IMG_2766.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	100000

Best tow pig ever
    DJ's don't need sigs

Do a skid

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    Do a skid
    Not really. I MAKE skids. They're photoshops. My skids are photoshops. I make them. It's a hobby. I'm a graphic designer.

Lol why would you buy an entirely seperate vehicle for an unknown diff? Surely youd just get a Trutrac and never worry about Holden shitness

Whats it like on low boost anyway?

Spare ute wouldn't have cost much more than the Trutrac + diff gears + bearings, seals, fluids, labour, etc. that comes with a diff rebuild. Needed a few other items was well like fuel tank, interior plastics, tweeter speaker, tow ball and spare ecu (incase i brick mine trying to tune it).

Tonner on low boost is a little quicker than a stock ls1, so not exactly a handful on the street.

Opens
    Lmk if you need a hand with the move dude

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Lmk if you need a hand with the move dude
    I have a ute now too, could also lend a hand depending on day?
    DJ's don't need sigs

Heh, cheers guys. Have to find a place with bigger garage space first, hopefully it won't take too long.

Sounds like a good excuse for some drinks. I can lend a hand in the hilux.

Still looking for a new place. Shit takes ages.

Decided in the meantime to get the spare ute running so that I don't have to trailer it when the time comes. Either that or scrap it. Decided to get it running again but didn't have the motivation to work on a standard car, so supercharged it. Now it's running sweet but there's a problem. With the standard 120mm supercharger pulley (2-3psi?) I didn't even notice the power increase haha. I found a VS a/c compressor in the parts bin with a 100ish mm pulley that looks like it will work (and generate (4-5psi?). Also, I have an old coffee-machine water-pump based water injection system laying around that I'll add in lieu of an a2a intercooler.

Putting the t/b in front of the supercharger has made the thing silent, except under full throttle. If you're piecing together a custom s/c kit it is a worthwhile consideration. Take note that the hotside pipework can't have unreinforced lengths of silicone straight/bends because they will suck shut under vacuum.

Name:	unnamed1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	912.4 KB 
ID:	102259

Name:	unnamed2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	920.3 KB 
ID:	102260

Interesting and great fab as always, but surely it would have been easier and more useful to just grab a factory L67 setup and throw that on.

Looks like a tiny Toyota SC unit, sure its not just not enough air for the 3.8?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

I had all the stuff laying around - the s/c, wastegate, air filter, silicone joiners and piping - so the only cost was laser cut brackets. Even the belt is the same as OEM (can't run it around the a/c compressor though). I would much rather an L67 because as you point out the s/c is way too small. If anything it was a good experiment seeing the difference in noise with t/b behind/infront of the s/c and also seeing if the wastegate was up to task as a bypass valve. In future I could swap the sc14 out for an M112 or screw s/c and be confident everything will work (not with this spare car though).

Started getting excited and drew up a 10psi pulley and was going to chuck an extra injector in the system and a Walbro pump but will try and get away with only 5psi, water injection and no fuel/ignition system mods. Also, anything over a 5psi pulley requires losing the clutched pulley, which is a cool mad max feature.

You're mental. Love your work, 10/10.

N-

Well the 5psi clutched pulley didn't work out due to being about 1 belt 'rib' out of alignment. I could have high precision milled the front & rear supercharger brackets to suit with an angle grinder, but I made a custom 6psi fixed pulley instead.

I did go ahead with water injection. The kit consists of a fused relay, inverter, coffee machine AC water pump & generic atomising nozzle. The pump and nozzle were used as intercooler water spray ages ago. The inverter was my old tuning laptop power supply. I worked out I needed about 200cc/min water; the pump/nozzle combo will theoretically supply 300cc @ 7bar, so a bit more than ideal. The water injection is switched with an adjustable pressure switch, which was left over from the Water Meth kit on my turbo ute.

With the 6psi pulley, I figured I'll need a bit more fuel too. In keeping with the theme of this supercharger kit, I only wanted to use hardware I had laying around and I don't have any of the following: >1:1 fuel press reg, larger injectors, extra injector controller, aftermarket ecu, etc.

I do have a few spare injectors (200cc & 500cc) and a rough calc revealed that an extra 300cc injector would meet the additional fuel requirements. I chose to use the 200cc injector, as I'm already injecting a heap of water. I piggybacked the injector power with the water injection pump power, so they both switch on at the same time. We'll see how that all goes...

Water injection was in front of the supercharger to help it better seal and generate more boost. The extra fuel injector however, was installed directly before the plenum as I wanted it as close to the engine as possible.

At the moment I'm waiting on fuel fittings, water fittings and a bearing for the new pulley. Also, when that all arrives I'll probably need a shorter belt. Hopefully I can notice 6psi because the original 2-3psi pulley was completely unnoticeable haha.

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	102454

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	102455

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	102456

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	102457

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	102458

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	102459

Nice. 6psi should be noticeable, I don't even adjust ignition timing until 2.5psi on mine. Will be interested to see how it goes!