Thread: Shep's JAWA solo. Brakes? Wot brakes?

Shep's JAWA solo. Brakes? Wot brakes?

I inherited the bike from a rello who pretty much lived for speedway bike racing. Have had the bike for a
    few years now and pretty much just give it a wash once a year and stick it in the local car/bike show.

maybe I have early onset dementia as I am iching to have a ride of the thing which is proberbly
    a bit stupid as I have never ridden a dirt bike.

How hard could it be?

Anyway where do I start with getting a bike going that hasn't run for about 20years? I am pretty sure the carby is missing bits and the clutch pushrod is gone but other then that it is compleat.

You should see a doctor.

They are wicked fun!

Quote Originally Posted by chase rockwell View Post
    you will see a doctor.
    ftfy

Step 1: Remove brain.

Step 2: find a speedway guy who works on these all the time.

It's fair ancient, so might even be worth something as Historic bike.

This is roughly what more modern ones look like.

If you want to ride it, and are worried because you've never ridden a dirt bike before. Don't worry, they're nothing like any dirt bike around.
    Last edited by Soopy; 02-09-14 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

I did race speedway for a few years but with open wheelers. Unfortuanally there is no one that I am aware of closeby that knows anything about solos.

As dodgy as solos are they are prob safer then my other bike project

^^ ha ha - looks like torana gave up its rear wheels

Oil cooled GSXR motor from the looks of the alternator cover?

Old Jawa stuff isn't rocket science, but is sufficiently oddball i'd try to find someone who's had them apart before.
    I'd love to get hold of one and put it in a featherbed type frame.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

You 'gon take that deeuck fat910's Avatar
    That looks like a whole lot of fun.
    They say i know fuck nothing, but i know fuck all!

I did dirt track on a YZ400 for many years.

Mate owned a dirt track JAWA that had the same colour scheme as the one in the OP. Is it a dirt track bike or a speedway bike? Might be his old one.

I had a go on it and could not get my head around it, lack of balls or something.

That's definitly a speedway bike - look how low the right hand peg is - ain't turning right no-way, no-how.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

arent jawa speedway engines total loss oiling ?

gammaboys featherbed special be just like riding a 2 stroke - fill up with oil and petrol at same time

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    arent jawa speedway engines total loss oiling ?

gammaboys featherbed special be just like riding a 2 stroke - fill up with oil and petrol at same time
    Not sure bout Jawas - you could add a scavenge stage and make them a conventional setup easily enough - JAP speedway motors (Would dearly love one of them - beautiful things) certainly are total loss.

The motor is total loss. Hopefully I will get a chance to pull it apart on the weekend

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Where are you located? I know a guy who used to race these things, son did in Europe up until recently and he still owns more than 30 of the suckers. I'm sure he could help you out if you're in Sydney.

I live aprox 3600km NW of Sydney.

Got started on it today, naturally everything is seized and it is also a nice mix of metric, af and I think whitworth.

Fark. 5 years since I pulled it apart, I really need to pull my finger out and get it back together.
    Things stalled because I couldn’t find anyone that would repair the cracks around the headstem

I know a guy, but he's probably a bit far...

Opens
    I think they used to say CZ/Jawa used to use a Soviet Bloc version of chrome moly, but probably melted down tanks or tractors in reality! Laurie Alderton used to do mods and repairs to the mx and enduro/6 day bikes, but you probably really need someone with a jig for a quality repair.

Thinking about it, I know 2 people in Brisbane who could sort it.... but Brisbane.