Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: my curious case of roveritis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Ah, is a 2.4

Bigger intercooler and a tune, they can be less slow, but still somewhat slow.
    sweet.
    doesn't need to be fast, not for how i'll use it i guess. but good to know there is some head room. have heard DPF failure can be expensive?

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Not sure that a 2011 Defender would even have a DPF... if it's EU4 emissions then no DPF.

You can see for yourself if you crawl under and have a look at the exhaust, if there are wires and hoses running to the catalyst = DPF, if you see blanking plugs = no DPF.

Or send me the VIN and your email address and i'll look it up, can send you the build sheet as a PDF file.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Not sure that a 2011 Defender would even have a DPF... if it's EU4 emissions then no DPF.
    hadn't even considered that. happy days. will crawl under and have a look
    Or send me the VIN and your email address and i'll look it up, can send you the build sheet as a PDF file.
    cheers may do that! has a fair few extras (bloke is a dealer) but may have been fitted haphazardly

theres a few with LS motors now too. lol

I'm glad I could infect you... in one of the best colour combos too

Can also do this...

Please don't. That looks retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

sketchy knows.... but im still doing a kahn kit on one of mine

The Russians love that shit

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

The Russians love that shit
    Yeah but the Russians grew up with Lada Nivas, they're fucked in the head.

Ah, is a 2.4

Bigger intercooler and a tune, they can be less slow, but still somewhat slow.
    more on this.. just curious what tune is best tune

also have used up all the dynamat available in SEQ on it haha.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    more on this.. just curious what tune is best tune

also have used up all the dynamat available in SEQ on it haha.
    Not sure I want to go down on record claiming someone in particular has the best tune...

These guys in the UK supply the bigger intercooler https://secure.bellautoservices.co.u...e-intercooler/

Bell also do tunes, they provide you with a dongle that will flash the ECU https://secure.bellautoservices.co.u...der-2-4l-tdci/
    Not cheap but the dongle also works as a code reader, datalogger, etc... so it's not that bad.

There are heaps of other guys who do this sort of thing too, my ex-JLR contact also does tunes for these which we can flash with the dealers SDD diagnostic system. If you were in Sydney i'd say bring it over and we could flash it, but you're not exactly local...

Pretty sure Dale could do a tune for these as well...

Not sure I want to go down on record claiming someone in particular has the best tune...

These guys in the UK supply the bigger intercooler https://secure.bellautoservices.co.u...e-intercooler/

Bell also do tunes, they provide you with a dongle that will flash the ECU https://secure.bellautoservices.co.u...der-2-4l-tdci/
    Not cheap but the dongle also works as a code reader, datalogger, etc... so it's not that bad.

There are heaps of other guys who do this sort of thing too, my ex-JLR contact also does tunes for these which we can flash with the dealers SDD diagnostic system. If you were in Sydney i'd say bring it over and we could flash it, but you're not exactly local...

awesome, cheers.
    location not a huge barrier, and do have local guy, just wondering if there was a canned tune that was considered more highly than others before i hand it over in a month or so

oi m8 can u flash mine plz??

Quote Originally Posted by LoveB View Post
    oi m8 can u flash mine plz??
    Which one lol

the daily silver one.

feels sluggish-er since I put the 255s on hahaha

The 2.2 you already sent me the VIN before? Ends in 428?

To go a "big banger" tune like from Bell in the UK it can only be done with a K-Tag tuning tool (which I don't have) since some of the limiters in the PCM are in a protected memory and aren't overwritten when flashing in a file with SDD.

But using the SDD it's possible to;

Flash the factory Defender Autobiography tune which is 400Nm/148hp, vs. the stock 2.2 which is 360Nm/122hp
    Disable the DPF in the tune, and then physically remove it (which helps a hell of a lot)
    Flash the Euro2 emissions factory tune, or the Milspec tune, these go a bit harder than the Euro4

Going a bigger intercooler also helps, especially in summertime heat in Oz.

yep the one i memorize off heart hahaha.

yeah I was going to go bell but cant justify it just yet.

autobiography tune helps. specially with towing..

and yes, I want to disable the DPF before it dies and costs me millions.

i was gonna go bell IC too.

PM me if you like. I'd be keen to get it done specially since now I gotta tow the racecar everywhere. I might do the bas 170 once I've actually got a bigger IC but I'm sure the 40NM and 20 HP would help going uphill hahahaha

I sent you an email mate.

i realise this probably defeats the purpose of a defender but..
    ended up putting dynamat and carpet throughout the car, to stop heat soak into the cabin and quieten road noise. made a great difference. also means my dog can ride in the back without getting too hot.

also padded the weird rollbar thing lol.

Makes sense, if you're not putting it underwater then why not.

Someone in the UK did a nice rubber liner years ago. Basically it was 2 layers of thick rubber with sound/thermal barrier sandwiched between them. From all accounts it worked pretty well, but was bloody pricey. Iirc the same mob also did the sound blanket for the top of the engine on the TDi engines, this was mid 1990s.

Someone might want these

Meeeeeeee

I cant message him cauae i have no fb lol any chance you can ask for his number please

doing intercooler (leaning towards the Bell but got recommended an allisport?) and tune soon. is it worth doing downpipe at same time?

on the 2.4 i think they are worth it. ive been told not so much on the 2.2? something about the terbo over terboing

figure if it's getting a tune may as well do it now, will talk to the guy doing the tuning as well.
    i was happy to leave it alone but my old man has been using it all the time doing farm stuff and loves it, is really excited to do more stuff to it lol.

LoveB finally brought his Defender over tonight (one of them anyhow) and we flashed the Euro2 Autobiography tune in it.

Stock 2.2 is 120PS/360Nm, the Autobiography is 150PS/400Nm.

Maybe it's his driving style but I never felt a Defender move so quick. Impressed me!
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 05-10-17 at 10:32 PM.

LoveB finally brought his Defender over tonight (one of them anyhow) and we flashed the Euro2 Autobiography tune in it.

Stock 2.2 is 120PS/360Nm, the Autobiography is 150PS/400Nm.

Maybe it's his driving style but I never felt a Defender move so quick. Impressed me!
    tune and intercooler made a huge difference to mine, and an even bigger one to siser-nopics pov spec one(no auxillary fuel tank, sound deadening, bullbar to weigh it down, no snorkel to choke it). being a lighter 90 to start with, it genuinely hustles now.

can confirm it definitely goes good. not so much flat out foot flat speed but the torque down low is good. drives smoother adn i can go up hills without dying. lol best mod ever and being a factory tune I dont have to worry about it blowing up.

I'm interested to see how much quicker it'll feel if I go back to 235 ATs as opposed to the 255 MT's I have now.

maybe I'll get the havana one done soon lol

I have no idea why they didn't fit the 3.2 ranger/bt50 5 cylinder motor to the upspec models given its the same family as the 2.2 4 pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.