Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Z32 300zx Nopics chariot

Yep these Fairlady things sound hooorrrrn
    Last edited by bbits_elements; 12-11-15 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

If you need a hand lemme know
    DJ's don't need sigs

Best Nissan turbo ever
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Holy shit. Exactly a year to the day between update posts, how surprising.

Big updates coming, many purchases made including a previous project donor from another PF'er, Nistune, injectors and all kinds of go fast stuff. This bastard is going to be driving out of my garage before Christmas if it kills me.
    So as what I know will come as a huge surprise to everyone the car didn't move before Christmas. A heap of stuff was purchased, stored and ignored until a rainy weekend recently motivated a garage rearrange and push ahead with Z32 number 1 (or two if you count the smashed donor parts car that started this whole thing originally). After being for multiple sprints in the Free30 (my 2jz converted E30 coupe detailed in another thread) my wife decreed that her car must be at least that fast. The original plan was just to swap over the good drivetrain from the red wrecked shell into this straight black roller and drive as is in relatively stock form. Because Z32's are a prick to work on pretty much everything needs to be done with the motor out so rather than put it together, pull it apart later, upgrade stuff and repeat I decided to just search for some decent go fast bits to go on/in once and be done with it.

After a few days surfing I had a set of hard to come by 555cc nismo injectors (because the S1 z32's have a strange shape and length injector that is different to just about everything else), Nistune, ECUtek reader thingo, set of cheapo 2.5" split stainless dumps, modified factory downpipes stepped up from 2.5" to 3" and a short shifter. Not a world beating setup by any stretch but enough to make probably 250-270rwkw on pump fuel with stock manual turbos once together and tuned. Got pictures that I'll update with shortly.

While searching for parts I came across a fellow PF bloke selling a Z32 project and as is the way with these cars rather than buy bits and pieces we bought the whole damn thing. You can find its story and build here: http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842631422

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1448365969774.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	92997

So first thing needing to be done after removing the motor from the 2+2 was finish tidying up the donor motor to go back in. Attempted a compression test while on the stand was futile (got it mostly up near 100psi with a bit of oil in the bores) so inspected the bores with a drain camera, gave them the eyeball seal of approval and continued with the clean up.

Name:	20151210_215440.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	92999

Pretty filthy after sitting in a car under a tree for at least 4 years which is expected.

Name:	20160529_144811.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	93000

Pulled the inlet manifold off and deleted all the water and EGR lines hiding underneath. Gave it a wire wheel and then paint in Hitemp black to match the exterior.

Name:	20160604_152207.jpg 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	93001

The water lines run up and through the the throttle bodies, presumably for cars in colder climates to prevent them icing up. Trimmed the hard lines off the side of the throttle bodies and gave them both a good wire wheeling for a brushed look finish. I'll fill the holes with some kneadit or black sikaflex later to prevent any air being sucked in or blown out.

Name:	20160606_203202.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	93003

Also removed the fuel line, pressed out the old injectors, gave the lines and caps a solid wire wheeling then fitted the new (to me) 555 nismo jobs. Still tossing up if this gets E85 or not so might look at decapping them at this stage if its worthwhile.

Name:	20160604_172729.jpg 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	93002

Throttle bodies back on the manifold, looking pretty good at this point. Have since wire wheeled the manifold balance pipe and semi polished it, picked up a matching red throttle bell crank cover and dropped it on the motor to see what else looks daggy around it.

20160608_220409.jpg

20160608_220422.jpg

(No matter how many times I re-add these two pics they refuse to attach properly)

Has come up great so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452141252801.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	92998  
    Last edited by Sketchy; 14-06-16 at 03:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

All you need now is a mint set of tri-spokes to complete the awkward 300ZX look

Shirley you jest?
    DJ's don't need sigs

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    F

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Quote Originally Posted by smithbro View Post
    All you need now is a mint set of tri-spokes to complete the awkward 300ZX look
    I would but I believe the market has been cornered in that regard, stocks are at an all time low.

I actually really like the 350Z track wheels on it currently, they suit the shape perfectly without being too bling or stance spec. Have had a few late days at work this week which is looking to continue until the weekend so likely no updates until then.

So I've been chipping away at this when time permits and am pretty close to having everything back together and in the car pending the arrival of a complete gasket set from ebay.

However, having some issues pulling the crank bolt so I can check the water pump and remove the lower timing cover. The bolt is torqued to 160-170ft/lb so should be removeable with a decent rattle gun but due to my compressor being quite shit and on its way out it doesn't have the grunt required even after soaking the bolt in penetrene for a few days and shocking it with a few belts with a hammer. Tried chocking the flywheel bolts and heaving on the crank bolt using a 1/2" breaker bar with an extension which served only to pull bolts out of the crank thread, super helpful.

Before I rage quit and dump cash into a quality battery rattle gun has anyone got a secret trick I have missed for crank bolt extraction out of the car? I'm seriously tempted to bolt the starter in and give it some power to do it the old fashioned way.

Ian Alphabet trick from E30 JZ crank bolt work?

So I've been chipping away at this when time permits and am pretty close to having everything back together and in the car pending the arrival of a complete gasket set from ebay.

However, having some issues pulling the crank bolt so I can check the water pump and remove the lower timing cover. The bolt is torqued to 160-170ft/lb so should be removeable with a decent rattle gun but due to my compressor being quite shit and on its way out it doesn't have the grunt required even after soaking the bolt in penetrene for a few days and shocking it with a few belts with a hammer. Tried chocking the flywheel bolts and heaving on the crank bolt using a 1/2" breaker bar with an extension which served only to pull bolts out of the crank thread, super helpful.

Before I rage quit and dump cash into a quality battery rattle gun has anyone got a secret trick I have missed for crank bolt extraction out of the car? I'm seriously tempted to bolt the starter in and give it some power to do it the old fashioned way.
    Rent rattle gun from Kennards for half a day?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Rent rattle gun from Kennards for half a day?
    That's actually a fucking great idea. I have a mate who works there and gives me shit for free or beer.

Put the motor on a tyre or pallet, dont recommend on sump, just get it off the stand. undo the flywheel, put the bolts back in, use the bolts to hold a fat screwdriver to stop the crank from spinning.

Get friend, nopics, dog, brother etc to hold the motor so it doesn't roll over.
    Go to front of motor and go your hardest on the bolt.

That's actually a fucking great idea. I have a mate who works there and gives me shit for free or beer.
    It's how We sorted a mate's windsor - I spent about half an hour running the rattle gun forwars and backwards untill it finally spun free. Don't use an extension, it takes the edge off the impacts.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

In preparation for your next question:
    If you are planning on doing the lower crank seal too pickup a small angle grinder or dremal to cut the timing cog off.

Or you can get a drill and put the bit thru the cog just above the key way and give it a couple of well placed hits to crack it.

I'll swing by with my Ryobi rattle gun for you sometime mate, let me know if you need it.

you tried the "extra oil" in your air rattle gun?

Quote Originally Posted by mad_cow View Post
    Put the motor on a tyre or pallet, dont recommend on sump, just get it off the stand. undo the flywheel, put the bolts back in, use the bolts to hold a fat screwdriver to stop the crank from spinning.

Get friend, nopics, dog, brother etc to hold the motor so it doesn't roll over.
    Go to front of motor and go your hardest on the bolt.
    Already got the motor on an engine cart (little rack with castors on the bottom) and did exactly what you just described although with both a giant pry bar and a 1500mm peice of 50mm C section steel. Ripped bolts out of the crank thread both times, hoping they can be saved so I don't have to do a crank swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    It's how We sorted a mate's windsor - I spent about half an hour running the rattle gun forwards and backwards until it finally spun free. Don't use an extension, it takes the edge off the impacts.
    Tried this too, albeit with my air rattle gun. Was using a small extension to give some clearance so will have another crack without just in case it does end up working.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_cow View Post
    In preparation for your next question:
    If you are planning on doing the lower crank seal too pickup a small angle grinder or dremal to cut the timing cog off.

Or you can get a drill and put the bit thru the cog just above the key way and give it a couple of well placed hits to crack it.
    Not come across this yet nor seen it mentioned as an item of interest, will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by smithbro View Post
    I'll swing by with my Ryobi rattle gun for you sometime mate, let me know if you need it.
    anytime you can man, greatly appreciated and will have cold beers waiting.

That pully is alot tigher than it should be. I have done it many times with success.

Had a mate bring around a hilti impact wrench from work and got both the crank bolts out of the two VG30's in short order. Beast of a thing, want one bad. The crank bolt on the motor going into this one was so unbelievably tight it even took the hilti a good 30 seconds to knock off.

The eBay gasket kit I bought turned up this morning which was ace but I was tied up concreting all day so haven't progressed further but things will move along real quick this week.

Continuing to chug away with little jobs at the moment, the cam covers look pretty haggard so giving them a clean up and paint.

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	93518

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	93519 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	93520 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	93521 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	93522

Good sanding, a few coats of hi fill primer to remove the random gouges and scratches so far, just waiting for some time on a dry day to resand, prime and then paint. Considering cutting the covers open to show the cam gears and belt for something different but undecided as yet. I've got at least four complete sets of cam gear covers so experimenting with different ideas is on the cards.

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	93523

Gave the water pipes a once over with the wire wheel as well, came up great although I'm thinking I might paint these black to tie in with everything.

Name:	IMG_0089.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	93524

Ebay special $63 dollar complete gasket set turned up as well, it's clearly not quite as good as the local gasket set I was going to buy but at a saving of $420 I'm happy to take the punt on most of the little gaskets I needed.

Name:	IMG_0093.JPG 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	93527

Thanks to my mate dropping around for a few beers with his Hilti rattle gun I knocked the crank bolt out so I could remove the lower timing cover and water pump and check out everything on the front of the motor.

Name:	IMG_0091.JPG 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	93525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0092.JPG 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	93526

The water pump had rusty goopy human slime caked in it from sitting for 5 years or so since it was last running. The pump impeller spins nice and smooth though so just going to scrap all the ooze out, give it a solid clean up and chuck it back on.

Name:	IMG_0094.JPG 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	93528

A few bits to clean up, paint and reinstall. Also did the rear main seal while I can get at it, the last one looked to have been leaking slightly. Was a prick of a job initially because the rear main supplied with the cheap gasket set of a gigantic pile of shit and would fold over itself when trying to push over the crank. Luckily I had a good quality spare new item so punched the shit thing out, kicked it in the bin for wasting my time and slotted the spare seal in which fitted like a godamned glove.

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	93530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	93529

After I whipped the cam covers off I noticed some markings on the cam caps, clearly the engine has been out and apart before. The wife bought the car from a 300zx nutter originally who had done plenty of maintenance and upgrade work previously and it shows. The engine is minty fresh inside.

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	93532

Name:	IMG_0097.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	93531

The cams look to have plenty of lift, wondering if they could possibly be aftermarket or regrinds. I compared them to a set of cams I got for Project 500 which are supposed to be pretty angry and they look similar so I guess we'll see when its running.

Name:	IMG_0101.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	93534

Name:	IMG_0103.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	93535

Also grabbed a few bits from a guy wrecking his zed which included a neat alloy hicas lock bar and an NA power steer pump and resivour to completely bin the complicated hicas system and tidy up the engine bay. If the weather is good this weekend I should be able to complete painting and tidying all the fiddly bits, reassemble everything on the motor including manifolds, turbos, cooling system and have it ready to go back in the car. I'll also turf the hicas system, get the car off stands and push it out of the garage to give everything in the engine bay a solid degrease and pressure wash ready for installation.

I chucked a the cam covers that came off the blue car on to cover everything up and keep the dust out, bit grubby and need a repaint but look ok otherwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0099.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	93533  
    Last edited by Sketchy; 08-07-16 at 10:01 AM.

Heads probably got rebuilt due to the valves sinking into the head at some stage.

Is that a common thing with these or just from running hot?

So as per usual instead of working all weekend on this I got tied up with other projects helping mates and only spent a few hours last night before bed. Removed the entire hicas system and copped repeated loads of rust and dirt in the eyes working under a car that was stored outside (under a cover) for the last 5 years. Gave the front end a wipe down so I could lay my guard protectors over and was pleasantly surprised to find the paint in excellent condition with a heap of gold and silver sparkle mixed in so should look pretty good when it gets wheeled out for its first drive. Will be aiming to fit the hicas lockbar and reinstall tonight as well as the NA powersteering setup. I'd like to remove all the old hicas lines if possible but if it involves pulling half the car apart I'll just chop them out where visible to declutter things.

Might try to either find the tank drain plug or chuck a battery in and pump the old fuel out before the fuel system goes back together, no doubt there's litres of wonderful smelling super useable juice awaiting me on that task.

a heap of gold and silver sparkle mixed in so should look pretty good when it gets wheeled out for its first drive
    Can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter?

I helped rebuild a na vg30de once due the a really bad misfire. When I stripped it found 2 hung up exhaust valves. Head reco guy I used reckons the exhaust valves in these are soft and sink into the head over time. He replaced all the exhaust valves and recoed the rest.

Pretty sure the TTs have different exhaust valves fwiw.
    Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Engine: http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.p...10674.135.html
    Car: http://www.facebook.com/Garage.San.Maru

'73 240Z - L34
    '97 RX-7 Type-RS
    '01 Yamaha YZF-R6
    '02 SS Ute bro
    '97 RS Four Stageacoach

More work continuing, aiming to have the motor back in and at least running if not driving before October (which will mark two years this thing has been here!) A few more rainy days spent in the garage should knock that over comfortably.

Modified a set of spare cam covers to show the cam gears for something different, got the front of the motor cleaned up, got the gunge out of the water pump and bolted it all back together. I may have to pull everything off again for a timing belt and pulley replacement but I'd prefer to do it out of the car and definitely before it lunches a motor. It was supposedly done shortly before the donor car was involved in the accident but I'm yet to check service records to confirm. Inlet manifold and cam covers are now done in hi temp matt black with a few polished alloy bits dotted about the place. Looks pretty good. Bar chucking the sump back on and a bunch of hoses the motor is ready to go back in.

Also got around to fitting the stock turbos up to a set of ported and HPC coated factory manifolds along with some stainless 2.5" split dumps. Massive improvement over the factory cast right angle nuggets.

Last edited by Sketchy; 15-09-16 at 09:23 AM.

FFS, what is going on with hosted photos these days?

Updated with photos hosted elsewhere so they can actually be seen.