Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Z32 300zx Nopics chariot

Got a spare 30 minutes in last night to ti wrap the dumps, swap motors on the stands and prep this motor for reassembly.

The motor had been sitting without the sump on for god knows how long so I expected to see some surface rust in a few spots when I spun it over but thankfully it looks mint inside.

Not having played with VG's before do they normally have machined cast cranks in them? Starting to wonder just how much work this motor has had done on it, might have a closer look at the rods and pistons tonight to see if I've hit the jackpot with a "built motor"....

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Mint bra
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Got some time in over the weekend to get a bit more done. Closer inspection of rods and pistons revealed them to be cast factory items so not a built motor, not a surprise really.

Manifolds, turbos and most of the pipework bolted back on. Such a fiddly job even with the motor out.

Ti wrapped the exhaust manifolds and gave the inlet/outlet pipework a touch up in gloss black enamel.

Pulled all of the intercooler pipework out to remove the factory blow off valves. Every pipe removed resulted in a puddle of oil like this or bigger...

And unsurprisingly the intercooler itself had a nice oil bath happening in the bottom of it. The old engine from this shell was seized, damn thing must have pumped all its oil into the pipework!

Tonights job will be to cut the blow off valve stubs and weld them up for more SSSSSSTU TU TU TU once reinstalled

Also started giving the engine bay a clean up and degrease. My OCD wants to remove all of the wiring, brackets and smooth everything out to declutter the engine bay however because I'm not a sadomasochist I'll leave it as is and just close the bonnet.

It looks as though I'm going to have to pull the sump off again too. I left the dipstick in while putting everything together and now the bastard thing is stuck. Apparently leaving the dipstick in doing the sump is a cardinal VG sin because it gets jammed on the oil pickup or something.

As long as Skiddy doesn't rock up and drag me off to the strippers till 4:30am again I *should* be on track for reinstallation and crank this weekend. Fingers crossed!

Hey Sketchy.

Z32's have forged rods factory. Their weak point is the cast pistons. Considering its such a mission to get the motor out and not wanting to do things twice, most guys just throw a set of rods in there anyway. At the least put some pistons in it whilst the motor is out. The factory rods are shot peened too so they can hold up to a fair bit of abuse.
    "Cadillacs are more awesome than everything. All this newcomer needs is to post pics of tits somewhere and he will probably be the new king of PF. "

Oh and I am bloody envious mate. I have had mine for 15 years and have been talking about rebuilding the motor for the last 5. Bought everything for a built bottom end but it hasn't happened yet because of time and funds. (and my inability to do it myself.)

Your making massive progress so keep it up and keep me motivated to do more on mine!
    "Cadillacs are more awesome than everything. All this newcomer needs is to post pics of tits somewhere and he will probably be the new king of PF. "

Thanks mate. Honestly the only way I am getting it done is to eat the elephant one bite at a time, just breaking everything down in into smaller tasks and tackling bit by bit. I'm paranoid about having to pull the whole thing out ever again so I'm trying to check and double check every bolt, nut, hose and seal for tightness. I should hopefully have a spare pair of hands roped in over the next few days which should speed things up. I don't have a chance of getting it registered before my holiday next week but if I can at least turn the key and have it start before I leave I'll consider that a massive win.

Got the blow off valves stubs cut off and plates welded over the top. Flutter for lyf.

Bit more gloss black to prevent the welds and plates rusting, pointless bling otherwise as you'll never see it hidden in the front under the headlights.

Sump off, again. Prick of a job. Nearly had to remove one entire turbo manifold and bracing to do it but managed to massage a few bits out of the way to extract the last single bolt holding it in.

Sump has lots of wings, baffles and guides inside. Interesting, not seen another factory sump as intricate inside.

Also pretty sure I discovered what killed and seized the previous engine in the car when I purchased it. This was hiding under a section of rubber water hose feeding the passenger side turbo.

I ran out of RTV silicone to get the sump back on last night so will pick some up today along with a few meters of water/fuel line and filters to replace anything not already done. Have roped in a mate to assist with getting the engine back in the car on Saturday and then just button up everything around it over the weekend. Hoping to pump the tank dry tonight as well and fill everything with fresh fluid Sunday for a lap around my private race track*

Next step will be some basic tuna from Broadtune via Nistune and ECUtalk module I bought a while back to suit the 555cc Nismo injectors so it can go for rego and then log some miles to check everything is sweet before cranking up the llamathrusts. The end is in sight. Almost.

*not blockies with exactly 8 inches of exhaust officer, I promise.
    Last edited by Sketchy; 07-10-16 at 11:43 AM.

Working double time on the Mrs chariot to make up for stripper shens. Good man! Good progress dude!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Big weekend, lots of progress.

Got the last of the little nickel and dime parts hanging off the motor sorted, new water lines and hose clamps rerouted to provide more engine bay room and away from hot exhaust parts.

Motor on the crane and ready to swing in

Extra motivation to get the jobe done from the wife

Last chance to check everything over, clean the gunge from inside the gearbox from a dud rear main seal and eyeball anything that could be a potential hold up when swinging the motor in

Super excited to be nearing the end of this build. Several thousand beers and half a bottle of scotch helped to this point.

Up

Down

Lots of wiggling and spotting to clear ten thousand things while trying to fit 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag

In

Fits like a finger in the bum

Next job is to cut off the existing haggard injector plugs and fit new items to suit the 555cc Nismo items going in. Whoever did the work previously was a complete hack, almost every solder was massive, the joins taped poorly using shit tape which had cooked and gone hard and somehow almost every one of the new wires was cut/hacked/exposed.

Was busy thrashing on the spanners after this point so didn't get a chance to take any more photos but got the loom laid in and connected, all the important electrical items connected to attempt cranking before fitting the rest of the ancillaries. The car refused to crank and after swapping starter motors plus a heap of head scratching figured out that the car has an alarm/immobiliser that needed to be activated. More investigating and jimmying around with alarm looms, fuses, keyfobs yielded nothing then all of a sudden it sprang to life and we could crank the car over.

Tonight's work will be refitting the exhaust, intercooler and pipework, radiator and cooling then drop it down, fire up and cut a few blockies to check for leaks.

So close

You are fucking mental.
    If I owned a 300zx, I would never EVER want to open the bonnet.

Quote Originally Posted by TT View Post
    You are fucking mental.
    If I owned a 300zx, I would never EVER want to open the bonnet.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lickmyleftone View Post
    I'd do things to her that Tripper hasn't seen.
    As seen on Tinder : "If a Vegan does Crossfit, which one do they mention to you first?"

always had a thing for these.. even nearly bought one.. but the under bonnet thing always freaked me out.. hats of to yuo bro..

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Big weekend, lots of progress.

Extra motivation to get the jobe done from the wife

How much power does your car make?

It makes one Sketchypower!

So close
    Well done.

Fucking sensational bloke.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar

Tips hat.

Mission success.

With that I'm off for a months holiday. Later potatoes

And as a placeholder for myself so I dont forget in a months time there is an oil leak coming off the bottom right hand filter tree bolt needing to be nipped up.

Opens
    wow. I'm thoroughly impressed. Z32's are the devils work and you make it work. thumbs up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Those little Sketchy plumbers hands are built for tight, greasy locations. I would lose an acre of skin if I tried to fit my ham fists anywhere in that engine bay. Nice work hombre. Enjoy your holidays.

P.S. Twins are win.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

loves the Cressy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    And as a placeholder for myself so I dont forget in a months time there is an oil leak coming off the bottom right hand filter tree bolt needing to be nipped up.
    Was that the apparent puddle under the car that the socket wrench was sitting in?
    Cheers, Richard

MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo JZX81 Motor, Fr Suspension in, tailshaft made & installed, bigger fuel pump in, zorst, wiring, fmic done (thanks jzk25) BA rotors R33 Calipers Now REGISTERED going well
    '92 & '94 TF Holden Rodeo 2.8 TurboDiesel 4WDs - Daily Driver regular breaker/backup ute
    MS85 Crown Super Sedan - Farm Car - Running 3rd 4M - Future project
    '66 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 Manual Coupe
    '66 Jaguar S-Type 3.8 Auto Sedan
    - Long Term Jobs

Bravo. Wave at me as you pass over fiji on your way. :-)
    DJ's don't need sigs

I'd almost forgotten how hard these things are to work on and BAM I open this thread.

My hat goes off to you my dear sir.

Fucken oath, exemplary dedication!

PF working bee to go to Sketchy's and pull it all out again while he is away for a nice surprise when he gets home?
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Bravo. Wave at me as you pass over fiji on your way. :-)
    Non sanctioned humble brag brah

I was going to say something but, well.....you know.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

So that was early October and I managed to get back into it last night.

Bolted the exhaust on from the dumps but missing a few bolts so will have to get some new ones and new gaskets before roadworthy.

Got to the bolt on the filter tree that I thought was causing the leak and tightened it up, cranked the car over and.... oil still pissing out everywhere under the car. Worryingly the oil now seems quite milky like its mixing with water somewhere. No idea what that's about, hopefully just some old oil sitting in a gallery somewhere that was inaccessible during the motor swap? Possibly a dud turbo core doing its best impression of a milkshake maker or a crossed water/oil line? Who knows. Going to drop the oil and filter tonight for further inspection and to give a little more room to get in there with the eyeballs properly.

Hopefully I'll have a spare pair of hands tonight to assist with some further investigation to the cause. Really hope the engine doesn't have to come out again, just have to chuck all the belts on, radiator and bonnet and she's good for a test skid. Would be a right pain in the dick to have to go back to square one at this point

Fuck this thing. Fuck it with a rusty pineapple covered in chilli.

Spent a few hours underneath last night trying to pinpoint the source of the leak and stop it. It looks as though the gasket the oil filter and cooler tree sits on has shat.

This bit on the block

That this bolts onto

[IMG][/IMG]

Which sits under all of this malarky.

Which means motor back out for access. You fucking fuck.

Yeah, no thanks. One step forward, 3 steps back.

Time to burn this mother down.

Can you remove 3 of the bolts and slip a new gasket in behind?

Cut open the 4th bolt hole open and just locate it place then retorque?

(never done this job with the engine in)