Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Said it before, say it again.

Amazing progress. Loved the random mini rant to. Lol
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Oh Dear... all is not lost but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I had rather hoped that I could source a hardened steel sleeve to run a gearbox bearing on, 1 1/4" ID and 40mm OD but no. 32mm x 40mm is the closest I can get, that is .012" too big. Given that, it looks as if I'm going to assemble the gearbox with only 2 gears as I can't afford to buy the required parts to set it up with any more at the moment.

On a brighter note I managed to get the thrust bearing sorted this afternoon and would have bolted the transaxle onto the engine except I'd forgotten to pick up new bolts to bolt the clutch to the flywheel. Just as well really, I haven't yet lifted the motor up and sorted out the leaking sump.....

So I took to the gears today to start to make everything fit.....

I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm going to put it down to the fact that it is a 6 speed gearbox and as such there are no factory books but nothing fits quite as one might expect.

I have found more "evidence" of the vestigal reverse gear, splines and additional length on both shafts that otherwise has no need to be there....

Of course I now need to make a blank spacer to go over that.....I'ts rather turning into a challenging headfuck, but my lathe skills are improving and each day is a small step closer.

I managed to make all of the spacers required for the pinion shaft today so at the end of the day I managed to stack everything onto the shaft and snug up the left hand thread nut. Onto the input shaft tomorrow....

Opens
    A trifle late -

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...8mm-x-1-thread

guy was the AP distributor for North America some years back.

Well so much for thinking I was making progress.....

Start again.....I guess I should expect this, never having done it before and not knowing how to do it...having a bunch of pieces that have never gone together before, that possibly don't even create what I want?
    " Money is for those without skills"

FAAARCK !! Well, I didn't think it would be this hard.

I spent the rest of the afternoon tooling along trying to get things to fit but at the end of the day had to concede that I couldn't assemble it with any combination of what I have. At this point I'm looking to make a new selector rail for 1st-2nd gear as the one I have is not capable of being the length I need it to be.

I've got to suspect that the original 1st gear was a narrower gear than a standard Hewland FG gear, as far as I can see, that is the only way the selector rail could have fitted....

Suffice to say the air was blue in the shed for a while this afternoon...these things are sent to try us.

Ah yes...Whilst this exercise is taking much longer than I thought and from that perspective is quite frustrating.

It is an abject lesson in the ability if F1 teams. No matter how derided or unprofessional they may seem, it is no small work to create an F1 car no matter how unsuccessfull it might be....The more I look, and look harder, the more is revealed. This transmission contains more EuroRacing parts than Hewland parts and they are very nicely made from high quality materials.

I'm thinking I see the way forward, so I'll continue on that path

Thankyou so much for ongoing updates. Be very assured they are both being read and enjoyed by a minimum of at least one person.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Make that at least 2 Loving your can do attitude and problem solving abilities. Cant wait to see this thing finished and in action.

Three people
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Thanks Guys

I've just been watching Harry's Garage on youtube....he had taken his Countach to a Lambo concourse.... He was showing us LM002's and I had to have a chuckle. There was one parked at the place in Germany where I hired an F40, they are just the craziest thing you have ever seen.....like a Hummer but with a Lambo V12.....Bonkers!

The Rambo Lambo!

Yep, one of the few threads I check.

Yay! Making progress, positive forward progress

I think I kinda needed to move back from the position of believing that it should all just fit together, having got to that point I could then look at the problem and decide how to rectify it. The answer lay in accepting that the selector rods would need to be created at the correct length, fortunately they are 9/16" so I could purchase the material and trim to length, fit the forks on either end, with a degree of adjustability at the dog ring end.

In the meantime I'd created a dummy shaft to locate the gears & hubs etc in position in the selector housing making it much easier to handle the unit whilst determining the selector rod length.

Along the way I discovered an interesting configuration.... there are 2 detent balls on each selector....Why? Turns out that one of them is for the neutral position the other is for each gear. The reason being, that all three can not be done by a single ball because the 3 positions are too close together and the size of detent ball required to hold the dog ring in position simply wouldn't fit (remember there is no detent on the dog ring as there is in a syncroniser to hold it in gear, so the detent on the selector shaft must do the entire job)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear selectors 003.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	102536

As the assembly looks at the end of today, the selector shaft in the foreground is the old 3/4 one, the new one isn't finished yet ( and there will be no 4th gear because I don't have a hub for it....yet)

Name:	gear selectors 006.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	102539

This is the cavity that everything fits into, the gears, hubs and dog rings go on this shaft which is the pinion. The another (input) shaft that slides onto the externally splined shaft inside the bearing at the bottom it has 1st gear machined into it and is splined for the remaining gears ( it can be seen behind the gears and hubs in the first picture.

Note: the pinion shaft is hollow and is oil fed (that is the oil pick up at the bottom of the case) and there are holes to pressure feed the gears (oil is also fed onto the pinion/crownwheel interface). Of course no sign of the oil pump in the components that I've aquired...

Also note that the nut on the end of that shaft should be staked onto the shaft, whereas the standard Hewland nuts I've purchased (in the first pic.) are a castle nut that should have a spilt pin through them. Of course they are a LH thread nut, just not so common....

So that is where that is at the moment, all good.

In the meantime it is off to Collingrove tomorrow morning for the annual Nissan Datsun V Walkerville Hillclimb. I'm a member of Nissan Datsun, because it is the club that Hotbricks members join when they want to compete in a vehicle other than a Mini...

All loaded and ready to go...

Name:	gear selectors 001.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	102540

F, going fundamental on a gearbox. You're a clever engineer (real engineer) mate.

Always look forward to the weekend so i can see what you've done. Never disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Thankyou so much for ongoing updates. Be very assured they are both being read and enjoyed by a minimum of at least one person.
    very much this. one of my inspiration threads ... "well fuck me, he's made some progress"
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Congrats on breaking the 36 barrier at the hill today. 34s next.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

And Congrats to you Tony, on driving the Slider back onto the trailer, FTD under your belt.

Much happiness in the camp today after finally breaking into the 35's with the little hillclimber, much happiness.....

Shows how wrong you can be...

Prior to yesterday I had thought that there was no time to be found in the last split at Collingrove.

Going into the meeting I had 2 changes I wanted to make to the way I drove the track. I had adopted a short shift into 3rd off the start line, the reason being that the gearchange had been iffy some time ago. It dawned on me that the gearchange had since been sorted and I could and should be using all of 2nd gear before changing up. so yesterday I started doing that, and it worked fine.

The other move, was to be more committed into the very cambered left hander after "the bus stop". It had crossed my mind that I was braking to early and cautiously for it, again it is a point where I change gears, back down to 2nd. So I started braking much later and sneaking in the gearchange on the turn. I don't think I've quite nailed it yet but certainly it is getting there.

So last night I got out all of those grimey pieces of notepad with my hillclimb times on....the times for the first 2 splits haven't changed at all !! All in the same range....everything that took me from 36's to 35's happened in the last split.

Unfortunately, I think it just proves what I suspected about my driving, I'm just not that smart with it !

Sorry, just reread that ^^ and need to clarify that the left hander after the "bus stop" is in the final split. Thus all of my time gain was in the change of attitude to that section of track.

I bolted the flywheel and clutch to the back of the engine today. Sounds simple, it wasn't as simple as it should have been but it is done and will not need to be redone. I did wish to repair the leak on the dry sump but I've injured my back and couldn't face lifting the oxy cylinders off the truck and back on again. I'll visit my chiropractor on tuesday morning and get the back sorted and see if I get the sump done on friday.

Oh! for those in Adelaide, over the coming weekend there are screenings of "Ferrari 312B" a documentary about the rebuild of a Ferrari 312B by the factory for the Monaco historic GP. I've just read a review of the film in the W/E Australian and it was reccomended...I'll be heading to the Friday 6.45 screening.

This is like PF's very own Project Binky. So much cool backyard legit engineering going on and too long between updates!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Ah well, My back is on the mend but my customers are being demanding...

I did manage to finish the 3rd /4th selector rod monday afternoon, and had a bit of a tidy up. An old workmate stopped by on monday night, he and I had worked together at a nickel mine 400 K's north of Kalgoorlie way back in '93. He rode in from Perth on a BMW with a mate on a 1700 cc 2 cylinder Triumph !! on their way to the Moto Gp.

Hopefully I'll get something usefull done on friday, if not, saturday or sunday......