Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Ah cheers mate, should of known you'd already covered it. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st run pt gawler 002.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	103896

So this happened this morning....

First laps in the new car, it is a bit more serious than the little old one. It seems that even in gear the tacho can't keep up with the engine, I kept crashing into the limiter. It took a few laps to buff both the fronts and the rears till they started to give some grip rather than just skating around.

The gearbox! what a revelation, sitting in the car not running it feels notchy, baulky and recalcitrant, on the track it is just a smooth fast joy to use. I was quite concerned that I would struggle to learn how to use it (I'm not sure why? I can operate a RoadRanger and feel I have a modicum of mechanical sympathy) but it was totally intuitive, lightening fast and just a joy to use.

The engine is nice and linear at this point. I did see 5 psi of boost and the AFR drop off the lean end of the gauge with it......but that is fine the remedy for all of that is in the pipeline. It desperately needs to be unshackled from it's rev limiter, the poor thing is just getting wound up when it is cut down.

All in all, very happy. I've got things to attend to, but there seem to be no insurmountable issues.
    " Money is for those without skills"

Fuck yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Test drive video not loading....

Its awesome to see a project like this leave the shed! As above, where is the video?
    '93 6SPD T04Z UZA80 Supra
    '93 Auto T04Z JZA80 Supra
    '97 5SPD Corolla RallyX Shitbox

PF F1 SuperBru Tipping Champion '15, '16 & '17

So in 3years you have built and driven 2 race cars! Golf claps all around, I like your style mate, very very impressive.

Thanks Guys, yeah sorry about the video, quite literally not loading, Dad took some with his Ipad but the file was to big for him to email to me.....

that is mega

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

because you suck at Videos and i really want to see this, check your PM, you can FTP me the file, however big it is, and ill get it onto vimeo
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Oh that is fucking great! Nice work.

Given that I've not managed to upload any videos, I am just not the tech savvy one. I figured I'd better do what I could...Which meant popping the back off the transaxle and setting about to fix the oil leaks it had. One of them was from the seal on the starter shaft, I'd not quite pressed the turned down socket far enough on, in the meantime I'd split the socket with the starter so it all needed replacing. So that is apart and a new socket has been purchased.

I actually stopped early at Pt Gawler because my arse got hot, and then wet.... a little coolant leak from one of the coolant pipes so that needs to be dealt with also.

Pm me your email address and I can send you a Dropbox upload link. Then I'll upload it here or to YouTube.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Right, so the couple of short videos are v e r y s l o w l y uploading to Dropbox of Muz...

I ordered a couple of cam cover gaskets today and need to pick up a couple of cans of BAM oven cleaner, see if I can tidy up the looks of the 209 k old mazda motor.

I also need to look at what I'm going to do about rear springs. The rear is rather stiff at the moment, I can jump up and down on it and the suspension just doesn't budge, I did actually check that it wasn't seized....

LOL I've often cursed that the driveway / shed aprons around my place are sloped. It transpires that when you have no reverse gear, strategic use of the slope can compensate....

already done
    (ripped it from facebook)
    Last edited by doctor ed; 28-12-17 at 09:00 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

link:
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Golf claps, big energetic happy Gilmore no care in the world golf claps!

That's awesome, sorry I fell asleep early last night.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.

Thank you all.

Back tyre pressures look way too high. Those big balloons should be a big part of your rear suspension. What pressures were you using?
    Retard Honour Wall.

14 psi, yes I'm sure less would suffice. That footage is of the very first time I'd changed gear in it, first time I'd driven it with the slicks on the front etc.

I did a couple of paying jobs this morning....now back to the shed.

I did some shake removal and threw them up on youtube;

Retard Honour Wall.

Retard Honour Wall.

Top work sport.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

y'might notice in the photo on post 842 there are a few drops of oil on the cement under the gearbox, so I stripped the box and resealed where it was leaking, it was one part I'd not had apart before... having done that I decided that there was but one other piece I'd not had off so I might as well remove it and reseal it also, so I did that as well.

Having done that I delved behind the seat to find the coolant leak, only to discover more issue than I had thought, so I dealt with them.

I'd been giving thought as to how I was going to fit the Falcon injectors I'd intended using for the E85 conversion ...drifted away from E85...to piggy backing 6 extra injectors simply placing them on the top of the plenum firing into the runner below... I actually cut up a BA injector rail to source the nozzle holders to braze into the plenum, when I realised that a straight piggy back wouldn't work as I'd still have the factory rev limit..No Good! No, it would all have to run from the Microsquirt. So I started looking at where the injector bosses would have to be welded onto the intake runners (as the original injector position is to cramped to fit bigger injectors) Whilst looking at that I recalled that the runners had been made from the manifold of a K8 the 1.8 litre. Were the runners bigger for the KL? Yes of course they are...so really I should start from scratch with KL runners and build an entirely new set......

Tis an interesting thread up front with Poalo Nery et al, think I'll just keep it real ........

Oh I forgot to mention, while I was resealing the last part of the transaxle I'd never had off. I discovered the transmission oil pump, tucked up under the rear of the diff, driven from the input shaft....so I removed that while I was there. Once again I'm impressed by the engineering and ingenuity within the transaxle, still finding more Alfa Romeo 184 part numbers though, I do wonder if Euroracing could do Brun a good deal on getting into F1 because they had a shitload of left over parts from their Alfa days that could be used.

I picked up some oil for the transaxle today, at $120 for 5 litres I will not be throwing that away every time I have to drain it.....

I've also got the cam cover gaskets, so will get into that when I get the chance.

So I had a good look at the inlet runners for the KL and K8, them I looked at the aluminium tube & etc and came to the conclusion that I might as well just port out the runners I have to match the heads/gaskets. It took a solid couple of hours and I'm sure the poor old compressor was fit to burst by the time I was finished but I'm very happy with the result.

Somewhere along the way I got distracted by the cam covers, or more specifically the "front" one that has the logo cast into it. I thought it would look good if I were to clean the cover and paint it Mazda Mariner Blue and then polish the paint from the Ford logo. I got it off stripped it and got it perfectly clean. I'd removed the breather grommet and decided I should press a plug into there I whipped up a plug in the lathe smeared it with loctite retaining compound and smacked it into the hole, but it was slightly on the piss so I got a punch and gave it a smack off to one side with the aim to straighten it, as you'd expect a chunk of cam cover broke off.......the rest got smashed to pieces by an annoyed me. So that had me rat another cover from the K8 carcass, it of course says Mazda on it.....a quick clean and it went straight onto the engine, no paint, no TLC ! Then I removed the opposite side cam cover, all of the bolts were finger tight! so I cleaned it up and gave it a lick of gasket sealant and refitted it. The gaskets can go back for a refund.

Meanwhile the Falcon injectors were fitted, not to the alluminium runners as I'd thought I would but to the steel runners on the plenum, I used the little steel cups off the fuel rail for the "nozzle" of the injector to sit in as the injectors are the same diametre top and bottom. These I just welded into the plenum and then mounted the half fuel rails on both sides and modified them to fit everything as I thought it should be. I've decided to send the car away to have the Microsquirt fitted and tuned in this configuration I'm guesstimating the Magna fuel pump, BA injectors and EVO Lancer fuel pressure regulator should all be good for around 250 whp..enough to get me mobile to get some runs in and see where I need to go with set up?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falcon injectors 003.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	104176

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falcon injectors 002.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	104177

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt
    So I had a good look at the inlet runners for the KL and K8, them I looked at the aluminium tube & etc and came to the conclusion that I might as well just port out the runners I have to match the heads/gaskets. It took a solid couple of hours and I'm sure the poor old compressor was fit to burst by the time I was finished but I'm very happy with the result.
    The sport sedans actually had material added to the inlet manifold and ports. I believe he still has some of the slugs of alloy he used for that purpose, devcon and screwed in place.

RIP rocker cover.

Thanks for the update.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!