Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041
Results 1,201 to 1,228 of 1228

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Video on PF facebook page...
    " I didn't have $$$$$, so I thought I'd build a car instead" : Ron Tauranac

Fucked if I can find there - link?

I think its on his personal page.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Sorry, I had shared it to Performance Forums Group, have now also shared it to Performance Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    Sorry, I had shared it to Performance Forums Group, have now also shared it to Performance Forums.
    Bugger!

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 775
Size:  27.5 KB

Ah spewin' I don't know enough to sort this out...I did ask the young fella to leave it open for viewers, and I'm sure he would have....

Meanwhile in the shed, one rear corner of the car is removed and I'm slowly gathering things together to rebuild it 85mm narrower around a pr. of Commodore halfshafts.

I've been toying around with the idea of a pr of 315/660-13 on 12" wide wheels for the rear....but I have no idea. I should also be sorting out the front tyres, the front end was designed around a 600mm diametre tyre, so it is currently not optimised.

Slow progress, but work is good and income is coming in, so tyres might be closer than I'd expected...

Roy,
    how much gain in lap time do you think is in basic streamlining of the body or bodywork and how much in a front and rear wing?

Quote Originally Posted by El Rob View Post
    Roy,
    how much gain in lap time do you think is in basic streamlining of the body or bodywork and how much in a front and rear wing?
    No Idea? It is early days for me and the car, not forgetting that it will likely only ever be used at low speed Collingrove also. I've come round to the idea that some downforce is going to be good for a gain, simply in keeping the car a little more keyed into the track and more stable. These things, like the tyres, will come in their good time. Streamlining as such is not on the horizon at the moment, that is just drag and could be overcome with more power. The current power level is not even where I wanted to start from, once I have the rear suspension back together it will be off to Boostworx to get it tuned to where I wanted it. Viv was very tentative with tuning, he only took it to 7200rpm, the factory rev limit is 7800! My desire is to run it till it tapers off.....wherever that may be.

I had a frustrating day at work today, so I'm looking forward to getting into the shed tomorrow and making some progress...

Planets are aligning, I've found the person I was looking for in the UK and my bank balance is looking healthier than it has in the last 8 years. it looks like a pr of tyres will be incoming soon.

Work is progressing with the narrower rear end, but it is slower than it need be to get everything on the "To Do" list done by the beginning of next season...

Jeezus wept! why is the Australian dollar worth so little? Just got the quote for tyres.......

think I'll wait till next week.....

I'm sure the $AU will have had a chance to be lower by then.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

I spent the best part of the day in the shed making suspension arms....come the end of the day I hang everything together and it's all fucked up!! Bugger! I've made a miscalculation on the top arm and it has pulled the top pivot point forward and screwed everything. Thank goodness it is just regular ERW mild steel, just cut it all up and start again......

Tyres? I've come too far to not spend the required $1500 for a pr of tyres, but fuck that's a lot of money for 2 tyres. Plus freight from England and it becomes $1800.....

I've lost a little drive and urgency with the car recently. It all goes back to the Dirt Circuit fallout, I'd continued sniping at James, pointing out that he was only as successful as he was because he'd had me thrown out...eventually he countered with a "letter" from the club exonerating him of any blame for me being ejected. This got me thinking, this cunts cooked, he really can't believe that? Clearly he does. At that point I realised it was not possible to shame him, he truly believed he had no part in my downfall. So I accepted that I wasn't going to make any headway there and might as well give up.

So, I'm thinking "this cunts cooked, fucked in the head" eventually I Google "traits of a psychopath" Well, fuck me if the 5 traits of a psychopath don't fit him to a T! Great! I've been pulling the piss out of a 6'6" 130 kg fucking psychopath !

So I've rather lost enthusiasm for proving to the Dirt Circuit meatheads that they are barking up the wrong tree with regard to racing car design....

Which brings me back to an expensive pr of tyres, they can wait. I'll order them through Gordon Leven and wait for them to arrive. It's not as if I haven't got other things to go on with...

I'm really enjoying my financial situation at the moment, I've got money in the bank, a small savings plan and everything is under control, it would be nice to keep it like that and not splashing out more than I need on tyres would be a start. I do need to buy some rod ends, so that I will do, now.

Onward.....

Roy,
    no doubt you've done a lot of research into tyres and the ones to get, but is there any point at looking at say Hoosier Slicks from the US for less $
    They also have a Discontinued Tyre page with some very good buys on there?
    https://shop.hoosiertire.com/index.p...halt-oval.html

Yes it had crossed my mind that there may be alternatives, I hadn't done anything about looking at anything though.

At the end of the day the Avon is the widely recognised tyre for the job.

I managed to spend the entire day in the shed today, and achieve about 3hrs of work....

The rod ends turned up, but for some reason the 1/2" ones I decided I'd use were LH thread instead of the RH I'd ordered. So I took a couple of photos and emailed the supplier, they promised to send the correct ones and a prepaid airbag to return the wrong ones. At least I could use a left hand one to confirm that they would physically fit and make up the little sleeves that need to go in them. So I fired up the lathe and did that. Having done that I stripped cleaned and regreased the RH driveshaft and reassembled it with the Commodore halfshaft then bolted it back up to the output flange. So that side is just waiting on the rod ends to arrive for final fit up.

I'm thinking I might refit the gearbox oil pump and plumb up a filter to it, I had to change the gear oil this year, it was a quite frightening metallic silver colour. Given the cost of it and the transaxle I think I'd be happier if those metallic particles were being removed rather than just churned around. Also if I were to reinstate the lubrication system I could revert to the "dry sump" volume of oil it is designed for rather than seriously overfilling it to ensure the lower shaft is churning around in oil.

Adelaide Motorsport Festival in Victoria Park this W/E so I'll be off to that on sunday to have a look at a couple of other '88 F1 cars...

Adelaide Motorsport Festival was bigger and better than ever.

Comparing the EuroBrun back end with the couple of Lola Larousse that were there revealed that the EuroBrun were not badly engineered at all, the suspension layout allowed for a larger diffuser tunnel, they used the rear wheel bearing layout that John Barnard had come up with. A mate of mine once remarked that in historic GP racing sometimes cars which were not fast in their day become competitive, because the money is found to develop and tune them to their potential, on wonders if the EuroBrun might fall into that category?

Meanwhile in the shed I've actually got one side back together with everything shortened to suit the Holden half shaft and it looks fine, I'm happy. Now for the other side.

We had a formula Atlantic March 77b which was widely known as an understeering heap of shit during its career.
    Turns out it had no Ackerman, we added it and the car was instantly pointy and fast.
    I always wondered if it was something they just missed at the time or there was something else going on.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

No regard was given to Ackerman in the day....Smith is quite dismissive of it in his book. Seems utterly stupid to me, I don't want the tyres fighting each other.

Ackerman only makes sense when you've got very little slip angle, and the inside front is actually carrying weight. Once you're really leaning on the outside front (to the point where you're close to lifting the inside front), and carrying solid slip angles, reverse ackerman can become a thing, reducing the drag of the inside front that's carrying fuckall load.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

My understanding is that on road courses Ackerman is helpful on transition ie initial turn in, getting the car to point. This would be consistent with BiGMuz's experience above. And as Gamma says, once the outside tyre is loaded up it's not having much effect on the car's direction. Unless you are drifting, in which case you want to completely remove Ackerman, as you would be toe out when sideways.

I know it's not the same thing, but I have found a little static toe out on a front wheel drive car helps the initial rotation enormously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    My understanding is that on road courses Ackerman is helpful on transition ie initial turn in, getting the car to point. This would be consistent with BiGMuz's experience above. And as Gamma says, once the outside tyre is loaded up it's not having much effect on the car's direction. Unless you are drifting, in which case you want to completely remove Ackerman, as you would be toe out when sideways.

I know it's not the same thing, but I have found a little static toe out on a front wheel drive car helps the initial rotation enormously.
    Static toe out on anything makes it change direction like mad!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0869.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	109436

One side complete, onto the other on Friday.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz
    I always wondered if it was something they just missed at the time or there was something else going on.
    Can think of a few drivers of cars in power positions in the historic arena who didn't so much discover the guys in the old days were incompetents - but by running a suspension program and relocating pick-ups, they miraculously transformed their steed.

Ackermann is probably much more important where there's a fair amount of lock applied, aka hillclimb, than circuit, so wouldn't be too harsh on CS. Should be a NW Sydney bloke's series of articles from about 20 years ago out there on the subject. He did it for one of the pommy race magazines, if interested - Eric Zapletal - might provide some strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Static toe out on anything makes it change direction like mad!
    That's how I ended up thinking about it, static toe in the corners without drag down the straights. We used static toe on slow tracks to scrub and heat the fronts.

Ackerman wasn't great on faster tracks but tight, slow tracks it was awesome.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by gxxr View Post
    Can think of a few drivers of cars in power positions in the historic arena who didn't so much discover the guys in the old days were incompetents - but by running a suspension program and relocating pick-ups, they miraculously transformed their steed.

Ackermann is probably much more important where there's a fair amount of lock applied, aka hillclimb, than circuit, so wouldn't be too harsh on CS. Should be a NW Sydney bloke's series of articles from about 20 years ago out there on the subject. He did it for one of the pommy race magazines, if interested - Eric Zapletal - might provide some strikes.
    Yeah, I agree completely. I'll google old mate, cheers.
    Retard Honour Wall.

Gaah what's the deal with scribd?

https://www.scribd.com/document/3363...suspension-pdf
    Retard Honour Wall.

Opens
    That's his other pet idea, https://patents.google.com/patent/US6702265. That scribd stuff sounds like malware central!

There were 3 articles originally, one of the fsae students locally had them archived somewhere....at least some years ago, but my google-fu doesn't seem to be working too well tonight.