Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940
Results 1,171 to 1,191 of 1191

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

I don't yet see the ECU as an issue that needs fixing.

I view the car as an entity with many factors, at the moment I see traction as the largest impediment (I guess I should qualify that, after a limitless budget!) I can for less dollars work on making the suspension work to give me better traction. I don't see it being an issue down the track when I buy the tyres it requires. Right, Wrong? No matter what I do, I'm learning. To what end, who knows? But I enjoy the challenge...

Apparently there are videos coming!
    " I didn't have $$$$$, so I thought I'd build a car instead" : Ron Tauranac

iPhone and Harry‘s lap timer... a rudimentary form of data logging, you’ll thank me later

Can compare exact differences between runs objectively. You can capture video through the phone with it too, and retrospectively look at what your hands/feet are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post

Apparently there are videos coming!
    I'm keen to see this.

I can for less dollars work on making the suspension work to give me better traction. I don't see it being an issue down the track when I buy the tyres it requires. Right, Wrong?
    Right, but in the wrong order. Get the right tyres for it, then go to work on the suspension. If you do the suspension first, then get the tyres, you'll end up doing the suspension twice.

I had a quick look on that site and see that there is some form of boost control for Megasquirt https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...ntrol-mod-kit/
    No idea if it's relevant to your Megasuirt.

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Good to read it's going well Roy.

Can't remember the name but I'm fairly sure the former aus champs that ran the blown vw powered libre only had 1 or 2 gears fitted to the transaxle.

If you have the torque to do so, I can't see a downside to less gear changes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Kev Rorlach (spelling?)? Used to have a museum out in Clare with a couple of Jindiviks?
    Also had one with a VW 1300 in the nose and 1600 in the tail?

Pretty sure I saw the supercharged one eat it's supercharger at Collingrove in the late 80's...
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 18-09-18 at 10:06 AM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Kev Rorlach (spelling?)? Used to have a museum out in Clare with a couple of Jindiviks?
    Also had one with a VW 1300 in the nose and 1600 in the tail?

Pretty sure I saw the supercharged one eat it's supercharger at Collingrove in the late 80's...
    I was thinking of the wortmyer/gumley SCV, but I can't find any reference to it using only 1 gear so I assume it was someone else.

Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

I actually saw a cylinder head from the Rohlach car recently, it had torched a hole straight through itself !

We stayed with the Rorlach family one year for the AHCC. Switched on bloke, they pushed the equipment pretty hard. Gumley did the same. Often they'd change a piston rod and sleeve between runs. No cooling system makes it pretty easy. He'd often use one gear, had a good clutch and plenty of torque. I think he was running 40psi of boost back 20 years ago. Car was super light, only made 340 hp or something. We had 550 and he was often faster.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    We stayed with the Rorlach family one year for the AHCC. Switched on bloke, they pushed the equipment pretty hard. Gumley did the same. Often they'd change a piston rod and sleeve between runs. No cooling system makes it pretty easy. He'd often use one gear, had a good clutch and plenty of torque. I think he was running 40psi of boost back 20 years ago. Car was super light, only made 340 hp or something. We had 550 and he was often faster.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Is the scv still going? Haven't seen it at any big hillclimbs for a few years now.

Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

It has a FT200 converted to 4 speed.
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

May have a double width first gear for hillclimbs...

Vids will be up in 24hrs or so. Currently limping home from the alps

Ah, Vids not happening something in the original settings.... next time...

So back to the shed, I pulled the gearset out thinking I'd fit a taller first gear and use only first, but, the more I looked at the videos and calculated the gear speeds for the ratios I have I decided I was barking up the wrong tree. I dicked about a bit and fitted a 4th gear and put it back together at that.

I decided I was happy with the direction I'd gone in with the rear springs, so I ordered some more and made a new upper shocker mount and messed about getting things operating in nicer arcs. I'm now content with the rear springing (for the moment)...

Whilst I was there I decided I'd better also have a look at how things were shaping up for inducing squat. I made an inadvertent mistake when I built the car. I was unaware that the engine and transaxle assembly had originally been mounted nose down. That is the front of the engine lower than the rear, therefore the bellhousing front face shouldn't have been vertical, rather the input shaft should have been pointing downward. Of course I constructed the car with that face vertical, thus the suspension wishbones point upward at the front, parallel but upward. A quick reference to Carroll Smith... yep that gives anti squat. So I'm now looking at what I can do to correct that, hoping I can reasonably easily remount the front of the wishbones lower, and get rid of any anti squat.

Well that was a slow day in the shed. I started off this morning to build a new pick up for the front of the lower arm on the left hand side....I was still dicking around with it at lunchtime.....I managed when I had finished that one, to knock together the top one before the end of the day ( the clutch shaft was too close to where I needed to mount the lower one)

Finally got back into the shed this afternoon to start on the right hand side...ARGHHH! screwed the head off one of the socket head screws holding the lower bracket onto the transaxle.

The 30 year old loctite had refused to yield. That had me in a flat spin for a few moments. How am I going to heat the loctite without setting fire to the cast magnesium case?

In the end I welded a nut onto the remnant, but it just sheered off again, I tried that 4 times to no avail. So I carefully ground the end flat, centre punched it and drilled through it with an 1/8 th drill bit, there was minor celebration when I drilled straight through without breaking the drill bit. I then followed that with a 1/4 drill bit again success and more satisfaction. I didn't have the next drill size, 17/64, so opted for a 7mm, .26mm larger than 17/64. I hoped it would be OK. It ran in perfectly, I'd suggest that the drill bit picked up much of the remnant thread and rolled it out the rear of the hole and into the bellhousing, the helicoil in the magnesium sitting there looking as good as new. Phew! much relief and happiness.

At that I screwed the 2 baseplates for the brackets onto the transaxle housing and called it a day. Let's see what tomorrow brings....

gotta love days like thems
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Opens
    Short of magnesium filings, you'd have a pretty hard time setting the case on fire unless using a multi-hole heating tip with oxy. Have seen a DGB turn into a puddle, but that took an inferno of several minutes.

Yes, last time I'd seen magnesium burn was after a mate had milled down the mounting face of a set of genuine Minilites ( Ex Bob Jane Camaro 15x10 and 15x8) we threw the swarf in a tin and set it on fire with the LPG torch, fairly does glow...

Meanwhile in the shed, I've not quite succeeded, when I reassembled everything and dropped the car on the ground, eleventy times, I ran out of adjustment on one side! the left hand side is fine but the right hand side is not quite right. I don't see why this should be so, the brackets are the same, anyway It's not right therefore I'll have to create a couple more brackets with a little more adjustment in them.

Given that, I'm going to be a bit more selective with the material used. The last ones, whilst simple and robust, really were much heavier and crude than they could have been I'll see if I can create something more suitable this time....

I've finally got the back end of this thing back together. I had to concede that for whatever reason the front pickup point needed to be at different heights on each side, it is only around 4 mm so will have no real impact. Once again I borrowed scales and checked/corrected the cornerweights. I've a couple more things to do before it's next meeting on Nov. 3rd. I notice it has decided to start leaking water from the water pump, so that will get changed over the off season.

The S.A. hillclimb championships are on this weekend, so I wandered up to check it out. I made the effort to walk/climb up to the top of the hill to spectate for a while. It's been ages since I did that and I've never observed those in my class from there. I was heartened to see that what I experience in trying to wrestle my car up the hill is the same as others. The same struggle with grip, traction and coaxing the engine to deliver smoothly.

I notice it has decided to start leaking water from the water pump
    Sounds like a reason to convert to methanol and bin the radiators.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."