Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Excellent project great motors
    If/ when you go megasquirt there is a 36-1 trigger wheel and front pulley / damper available from the later version of this engine Mazda Millenia 1999-2002 also a blanking plug for the dizzy hole as they went to wasted spark coilpack

Thanks Transom, My ECU guru thinks it is all in hand as is but will remember that if we need to go a different direction.

I'm inclined to think these are great motors also, lacking in displacement perhaps but otherwise a great package. I appreciate their ability to rev and the compact light weight of them. I'm sure they would be a great swap into an MX5 or even a toyota 86. I expect to gain more appreciation for them when I start boosting a bit of power out of it.

I'm not so much interested in outright power these days, power costs money and I'm done with paying. I'm hoping to find that 90/10 sweet spot where you pick up the bulk of the cheap power leaving the last 10% undisturbed. With the Magna motor I only ran a few pounds of boost but for each pound we were picking up 15 whp and very soon it made a vast difference to the way the car performed and cost 3/5ths of fuck all ( I mean fuck all, there were a spare set of Magna injectors fitted to the inlet manifold and a Microsquirt to fire them and to retard the timing under boost, a kkr 480 turbo and a 2nd hand XR6 intercooler and all of those components got swapped from one standard Magna motor to the next) I'd be happy if it goes the same way with the KL motor ( without the widening of the ring gap we had to do on the magna motors)....
    " Money is for those without skills"

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    I should press a plug into there I whipped up a plug in the lathe smeared it with loctite retaining compound and smacked it into the hole, but it was slightly on the piss so I got a punch and gave it a smack off to one side with the aim to straighten it, as you'd expect a chunk of cam cover broke off.......the rest got smashed to pieces by an annoyed me.
    You are a machine, for anyone else, that would have been the last post for at least a week after the rage quit...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Hmmm but when the long held dream is so close, one keeps on keeping on.....

bit of a setback from my ecu/dyno man he can't fit the car in till the end of january/ beginning of february and he wants to do all of the wiring himself. I'd thought I'd start wiring it up ...

Still, I can borrow a set of scales and put some time into setting it up and have a look at getting some springing going on at the rear. Oooh scales! I'll find out just how heavy it is....not very I believe.

You'd learn how to install and dyno tune by then. I say give it a crack!

I dunno....my man asked me was it an analogue or digital ignition system, sine wave or square wave? Square waves? it's got a coil in the distributor and leads an plugs, Waves?

I'm inclined to stick with what little I have some understanding of and leave all that voodoo black magic stuff to those who know.

Ooooh So I dabbled in the black arts....

when I had initially assembled the plenum I'd used a Magna throttle body, but when it all went together I'd had to adapt the Mazda throttle body onto the plenum. I had looked at swapping the TPS but that wasn't going to work. Oh, and the Mazda throttle could only open about 2/5ths on the plenum. So something needed to be done.

Using the Microsquirt wiring instructions I figured out which wires did what on both TPS. As it turned out the configuration was the same but the values were different, figuring it would likely work well enough anyway I went ahead and swapped the throttle bodies and made the other changes required to make it all fit together. Reassembled everything, turned the key and assumed the start position and it fired up and idled as well as it ever does. Winner!!

I'm feeling right bouyed by that little win and another step forward, I've got full throttle now!

I got to thinking today that it might be time to take this thing out for a few more laps...in anticipation of that and with regard to the now fully opening throttle and richer AFR as a result of the changed TPS I decided I'd better plumb up the wastegates...

Rain is forecast tomorrow and if it does, I will go nowhere. Boost and a pr. of 16" wide slicks in the rain are enough to scare me off!

Get yourself some fireproof gloves mate, especially when you're basically on your own out on the track. I meant to suggest that after seeing your videos.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Yes, will pack my gloves this time...

Just love the updates in this thread. Unfortunately though I am the one with no skills and no money now.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

Well, that didn't end well...

I dragged my feet getting out to Pt. Gawler due to inclement weather, it didn't rain while I was out there but the track was wet with puddles.....Still by the time I'd unloaded the starter trolly, the car, changed the front wheels, changed my workboots for my racing booties and donned helmet and gloves, start the engine, strap myself in and finally slot it into gear the track was drying...

Clearly I hadn't brought my A game, I was struggling with gearchanges and generally stringing a lap together. I just wanted to get more familiar with the car and how it reacts but things just weren't gelling. I had a spin and stalled it, had to trudge across the track too fetch the start trolly, drive the car back to the "pits", trudge back and collect the start trolly. Next thing the engine temp was crawling off the end of the gauge, so pulled in and let it cool down and topped up the water. headed out again again the temp climbed so came back in, whilst checking out that realised that the pulley on the dry sump pump wasn't driving the pump! Not a good look! Quite honestly I'd not taken any notice of the oil pressure gauge, rather distracted by the temp gauge....No light either....oh, dear I've just realised, the overheating is due to the waterpump not being driven because the belt isn't tight so neither was the dry sump pump for all of this time.....hmmmm better drop the sump and have a look at some bearings!!

So things are looking a bit grim at the moment, I'll have to sort out whats gone wrong, honestly I currently suspect I hadn't done things up properly, there is a missing grubscrew and bolt on the pulley and another of the pulley bolts is loose.. :-(

Add that to the list of refinements I would like to apply and I'm looking busy, oh I don't think I can ignore the noisy thrust bearing for much longer either......

Oh that sucks man
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.

Meh! I've had a really good run with both cars in the way they have come together and worked, it couldn't last forever...

Lucky, if worst comes to worst it is a $300 engine from U-Pull-It...

Piss off the gauges and fit some warning lights. Stick the gauges in a test rig if you want to check how the donk is going.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

hmmm I'm hearing you, certainly in the aftermath of this incident there will be a warning light fitted.

Gauges are great for checking stuff while it idling in the shed, thats about it.

I put a tail light for OP on top of the dash in the rally car.

:-) So this afternoon I rounded up all of the parts to have a look at this dry sump pump issue, fitted the pulley back on properly and tight this time reassembled everything, fitted a new oil filter, cut the old one apart and searched for some evidence of bearing failure, none. Cranked it over, got oil pressure, so started it, no nasty noises...I let it run for a while and then ran it up to the rev limiter, no issues. I'm going to say I've dodged a bullet on this one.

Then started on sorting out a few other little things that are niggling me.

Awesome news
    Retard Honour Wall.

I don't recall seeing pics of the dry sump setup in the thread, you're running it off a toothed belt aren't you?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Nothing so flash, it is a 4PK multirib belt the pressure stage only precharges the original engine oil pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    Nothing so flash, it is a 4PK multirib belt the pressure stage only precharges the original engine oil pump.
    OK, so if the belt was still on and just slipping, it probably still had adequate oil pressure. lucky!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Still messing around tidying things up, I got the shits with the accelerator pedal, I wasn't happy with the angle my foot was sitting at and the fact that there wasn't the gap I'd like between the acc. and brake pedal. It meant I had to completely rework the acc. cable fitment at that end but I did get to the point where my foot was more comfortable and the gap to the brake pedal was nicer.

I had felt there seemed to be a stickyness in the gearchange, specifically in pulling it out of first gear. So once again the back of the gearbox got taken off for a look inside. I could see no issue, I wonder if it is actually just a little more tension on that detent ball.....

My new tacho turned up today. I've managed to squeeze it into the dash but haven't yet wired it up. I'm very much hoping that a $240 tacho does what the $50 didn't, ie. tell me what revs I'm doing in a timely manner....

My mind wandered today....I drove past an early Commodore in a field, found myself thinking hmmm what would you do with that? I remembered old mate on here who put an NA SR20 in one, weighted around 1000 kg hmmm? What about a Mazda KL with a centrifugal blower on it? (same sort of weight) Nah, No, concentrate on what you have.

Still contemplating the thrust bearing situation.....

I think it is serendipity, y'know when things happen at just the right time...

So I got up early and ripped into what work I planned to do, by 10am I was home showered and ready to spend the day in comfort out of the heat. I popped into Gawler thinking I'd have a browse at the bookshop. They had recieved my copy of "How to build a car" so I picked that up and picked up another $80 of 2nd hand F1 books....

So I had the rest of the day to spend in the cool learning the Adrian Newey story, good book, I really found it demystified F1 aerodynamics for me. The logical progressing of the refinement of aero (largely driven by regulation) and the mechanical evolution are much more cohesive to me now. Also interesting to see the differing ways that teams work or not. Good stuff.

I was also pleased to find the Grand Prix year book for 1988, which of course is the year my EuroBrun back end is from. To see the relative performance of EuroBrun. Not as bad as it often looks, they really were "The cream of the crap" (as they have been referred to) on a good day they were a midfield team. Not as hapless as others that year.

Newey noted in his book that even Penske used a March that he had a hand in rather than a car of their own construction.....

That car, the Penske PC12, is currently for sale, $25000 US for the complete roller, dummy engine....Indy Competition Services

If I hadn't sworn I'm finished with racing cars I'd be tempted, even a dud Indy car is going to be a rapid thing!

Hmmm yeah 700kg originally around 840 hp......I rather imagine that if one bought that rather than an R34 GTR you'd go faster!

But, but teh skyline can nevah lose.....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

We ran a march cosworth in ahcc and nswhcc for five years. Weirdly reading about its history helped us fix the front end to make it point.
    Retard Honour Wall.