Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435
Results 1,021 to 1,045 of 1045

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Thank you so much for sharing you build.

Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Thanks Jimmyg, it's a pleasure documenting and ruminating about the build, the universe and everything.

As always, well not quite yet, but even the old one...if you reckon you can fit in the car anyone is more than welcome to come and have a drive of it/them. It would just be plain selfish not too.
    " Money is for those without skills"

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Your last run showed your brain can go faster with practice and time. Should be a good combo of man and machine given time.

The word "time" including ass first off the track with the boost surge learning curve a few times.
    I might see how you go driving it first.

Thankyou though. Your one of the good ones.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Some more pictures of progress...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	169.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	105557

I jury rigged a different throttle actuation mechanism, it works but doesn't do what I want, yet.

Name:	172.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	105558

Some concepts reveal themselves clearly in my mind, this one didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    Must. Stop. Browsing. RaceCarsDirect....

Attachment 105552

$21K aud Roller, complete minus engine...

If I had the $$'s I would jump on this little gem https://tracksales.com.au/print.html...listing&id=624

I jury rigged a different throttle actuation mechanism, it works but doesn't do what I want, yet.

Name:	172.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	105558

Some concepts reveal themselves clearly in my mind, this one didn't.
    Now you can drill holes allover that pulley and try different pivot points until you find one that you like. Then the leftovers can just be regular speed holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Sorry had a bevy or two but not linea throttle. Camed. Like a compound bow. Off set pivot point?
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Yes, having made a poor prototype I can see where I need to go to make it do as I'd like. I suspect for the moment I'm going to shelve the plan and load the car back on the trailer and deliver it back to my man tomorrow. This unseasonal weather is going to slow my work down this week, so I might as well deliver the car.

Hmmm What I'd like to do and what the Dyno man is up to are at odds. He is busy till the end of the month....

I will practice being patient, I need it, it will be good for me.

So I dragged this thing back to the dyno man on saturday morning.

I guess I knew I was at the right place, there was a very tidy XY GT sitting in the shop and at some point I remembered that he still has an evil supercharged 1UZ powered Dirt Circuit open wheeler. I remember being in the same field as it once, every time he opened the taps I could hear it from wherever I was over everything else. It never really got truly sorted before he got dragged into off road buggy racing .......

Anyway great expectations, no time limit, make it right.

You didn't tell him no time limit though?
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

I think I did, he was hoping to push it through on the saturday while I waited but then realised there were a few other things to do. I don't want to have to take the car there ever again, not because I'm unhappy with him but because it is a 500k round trip and I'm over it.

The expectation is that the fuel pump and injectors will take the output to around the target 400 flywheel horsepower anyway, and after driving it with "only" 175 rwkw, that is going to be more than enough to scare the bejeezus out of me!

I think I did
    oh, no... !

next thread update: Nov 2018
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

^ thread update in Nov 2018 Will be showing off Roy's dyno he's built and the computer tuning he's just mastered

I rang my man yesterday, just to be sure...he tells me the wiring is complete and it is ready to go back on the rollers. He thanked me for having done all the work that I could and leaving him to do what he is best at and he has a strategy in place for moving forward with the transitional response issue we have. I'm pleased.

Starting to forget that I even own a racecar.....

I'm getting some work done around the house though....

I even did an overnight bearing roll on the work truck on tuesday. I was on my way home when suddenly it started knocking like it was about to throw a rod, that focused my attention! So I pulled over and added some oil to it, started it up again and it was still making a racket so I gingerly drove it home, to no apparent ill effect.

I let it cool down and gave some thought as to what to do, fortunately, I had been foreseeing issues with the truck engine and had stripped a spare. Thinking I'd rebuild it and swap them one day. So I knew I had some not totally fucked big end bearings in those parts. I had ordered a rebuild kit for a 4BD1 on saturday night prior so I just needed to keep it going for a few weeks. Anyway, whipped the sump off and started dropping B/E caps......nix, nada, zilch !! nothing there to cause the godawfull noise, so I fitted the best bearings and buttoned it all back up again, I then adjusted the rocker clearances (I had no idea what they were supposed to be so set them all at .016 thou) and resigned myself to the fact that it was just going to remain noisy... the noise has reduced in the ensuing days, I now reckon it was a small end nipping up and the noise is the piston slapping over at tdc and bdc ??

Keeps me amused while racecar is not here...

I'm actually starting to think that there will always be a drivability issue with the racecar, due to the rather savage twin plate brass clutch and the fact there is no flywheel and only 6 cylinders to keep the engine spinning I'm beginning to think that it will forever stall when trying to take of with no throttle or juggling the throttle and clutch. The engine is just so sensitive to such a tiny amount of throttle and the clutch is very much in or out that there may only be a very fine band where it will actually drive off, rather than wheelspin or stall.

What throttle body are you using?
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Mitsubishi Magna throttle body, it has a simple linear opening...

Hang in big fella. Work around the house sounds a bit scary thought.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Starting to forget that I even own a racecar.....

I'm getting some work done around the house though....

I even did an overnight bearing roll on the work truck on tuesday. I was on my way home when suddenly it started knocking like it was about to throw a rod, that focused my attention! So I pulled over and added some oil to it, started it up again and it was still making a racket so I gingerly drove it home, to no apparent ill effect.

I let it cool down and gave some thought as to what to do, fortunately, I had been foreseeing issues with the truck engine and had stripped a spare. Thinking I'd rebuild it and swap them one day. So I knew I had some not totally fucked big end bearings in those parts. I had ordered a rebuild kit for a 4BD1 on saturday night prior so I just needed to keep it going for a few weeks. Anyway, whipped the sump off and started dropping B/E caps......nix, nada, zilch !! nothing there to cause the godawfull noise, so I fitted the best bearings and buttoned it all back up again, I then adjusted the rocker clearances (I had no idea what they were supposed to be so set them all at .016 thou) and resigned myself to the fact that it was just going to remain noisy... the noise has reduced in the ensuing days, I now reckon it was a small end nipping up and the noise is the piston slapping over at tdc and bdc ??

Keeps me amused while racecar is not here...

I'm actually starting to think that there will always be a drivability issue with the racecar, due to the rather savage twin plate brass clutch and the fact there is no flywheel and only 6 cylinders to keep the engine spinning I'm beginning to think that it will forever stall when trying to take of with no throttle or juggling the throttle and clutch. The engine is just so sensitive to such a tiny amount of throttle and the clutch is very much in or out that there may only be a very fine band where it will actually drive off, rather than wheelspin or stall.
    Would an e-throttle body not be perfect to help deal with these issues?

Possibly, probably, there are many options....What I/it needs most is seat time. I got a text from tuner, he had been up to Alice Springs last week but is hoping to have my car ready for pick up this friday. Lets see, it's a double edged sword, I want it back asap, but, I don't want it back underdone.

Great news around the forum recently, with Dr Ed's Lotus and Dogsball's Barra VS, it'd be nice to add to that..

What the fuck was I on about, of course the car can be driven normally from idle, it did so when it was still running the original Mazda ECU!

So poor Viv has to find that sweet spot.

Clearly it wasn't ready for pickup yesterday.......

There are gems of information and knowledge out there...

I was talking to Don today at Collingrove, Don was a mechanic for Vern Shuppan on 962 Porsches. I mentioned that with the car away at Pt.Pirie I was wondering what I would do next and had given some thought to a carbon fibre tub. Just a simple wet layup end grain balsa sandwich. Without batting an eyelid he prompted 'work with the properties of the material, when we were making carbon chassis for the Porsches they were more rigid, but, slightly heavier because they had to follow the shape of the aluminium tub' If they had been designed in carbon the shape would have differed to use the properties of carbon to add rigidity without more material and weight.

We spoke about narrowing the car, aero and why it wasn't worth the effort at Collingrove, suspension and the conflicting requirements between aero and mechanical grip, his brother's Renault Group N car & etc

T'was a lovely relaxing time just shooting the breeze with a knowledgeable fellow.

Feels like Im getting old saying this, but I find these kinds of conversations become more frequent the older you get. As a younger bloke, no truly experienced blokes would talk to me in plain knowledge talk. Id always get some cursory acknowledgement of my question/statement but no proper discussion.

These days, blokes talk to me. These hidden fountains of genius actually share info, and its awesome.

Just chip away and it will be sorted

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?