Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Open Wheeler Toy

I've been tooling around with Open Wheelers in S.A.'s Dirt Circuit for a few years now, but I finally got sick of the V8 meatheads and their attempts at using the rule book to stymie my efforts. Casting around for options, my friends were doing hillclimbs, so I thought I'd build a vehicle to do some of them, I figure It'll be acceptable for Motorkhanas & etc.

So I took a Wrecked Toyota EchoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	RTB 044.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	79079
    it donated the engine, wiring loom wheels/tyres, fuel pump and the front of the Auto bellhousing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTB 046.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	79080
    A customer of mine gave me 2 Subaru Brumby manual transaxles, with the fear wheel drive mechanism removed and the Toyota bellhousing welded on the front this will become the transaxleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	RTB 045.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	79081

I had previously sourced a set of Mazda MX 5 uprights/Hubs for an abandoned Midlana project so they are being attached to a loose copy of an early sixties Brabham chassisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	RTB 043.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	79082

The hope is to end up with something weighing about 500 kg including me, with the standard 106 hp 1.5 litre 1NZ-FE for a budget of under $3k.

The Toyota cost me $380 delivered, the Mazda bits $1k and steel $180, Springs $180, Shocks $100, Rod ends and suspension bushes $120, Toyota Flywheel $75, I've also bought a new Subaru clutch plate and a new Toyota pressure plate can't remember the costs.

If it ends up at 500 kg @100hp that is a respectable power to weight ratio, to start with.....

I'd like to end up with something looking like this

Name:  Brabham_BT2-FJr_1962_BSE0077_infineon-hist-5-08.jpg
Views: 2619
Size:  54.2 KB

Wow! Interesting mix of parts etc.
    Will be watching this come together with interest!

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    cool project will follow
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Awesome, love it! Will definitely follow this one!

Slow progress for the last while, I've figured out the layout and sizing of the front suspension arms, but I'm somehow reluctant to get on with creating them? So I had a look at the fuel tank and where and how it needs to fit, but again, didn't purchase the required sheet of alloy to create it ? I did however start tooling about with the steering rack.

I had a rack from a Fiat 128 that I have had for over 20 yrs, when I found it, on a wreck out of Leinster in W.A. I didn't know why I wanted it, but, I did. I've kept it all these years thinking "one day that is going to be usefull" I had thought I'd install it as it was but the shaft was going to get in the way of my clutch foot. So I sliced and diced, cut and shut and with a couple of donor parts from a Mini rack and a couple of nylon bushes turned up in the lathe, ended up with this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rack 001.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	79289

It has 4 1/2 turns lock to lock but travels 170 mm, I'll mount the steering wheel to a 2:1 Speedway Quick steer so then I'll be down to 2 1/4 turns. Should be just fine with less than 200 kg on the front tyres.

Malakia Industries
    Awesome. Will be following this one!

Nice project!
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Finding so much mismatched stuff, banging it together and making it work is such a dying art... nice work mate

quick steer is on the way roy.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Should be more budget friendly race car builds. Get on with it now...
    NA8B 89 KW's- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181 KW's- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VN SS

I bought a Honda civic radiator, I'd used 2 on my last racecar and they kept the turbo 6G74 cool, so I expect one will be fine for a standard Echo motor. Spent some time trimming down an electric fan from a Magna, mounted that, then set about making a pair of lower mounts for the radiator to the chassis. I only wish it was as quick to do as it was to type....

I purchased a sheet of 1.5 aluminium and got a piece cut from it that should fold into 4 sides of the fuel tank, kindly, the shop will retain the sheet and cut pieces off as I require. The guillotine makes such a nice job of slicing it...

$100 for the radiator and $78 for the sheet of alloy. I think I'll keep the running tally here to see where the money goes.
    Last edited by Roy928tt; 29-11-14 at 07:44 PM.

Oh dear ! I've just tallied up the total so far, it comes to $2713 including the $500 I've given the local mechanical genius to mate the Subaru box and Toyota engine together & etc, looks like we're in for a budget blow out, surprise, surprise.

It's alright, It's not as if I went in with a strict budget.....Lets see

great work so far roy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

This is cool. I'm following.
    "Max, they're shooting at us!"

"Not only that, but they're also speeding!"

personally i would have gone with the GTO engine but...................

Name:	fuel tank cock up 002.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	79626Oops ! made a bit of a cock up, somewhere along the way, the dimensions of where the fuel tank was to go, became the dimensions of the fuel tank.

The bloody thing is supposed to go UNDER that bar !

The fuel tank was coming along nicely, till I realised that the pump/gauge unit didn't reach the bottom of the tank ? Then I tried to fit the whole unit where it has to go, DOH !

Oh well, just have to start again, lesson learned....
    Last edited by Roy928tt; 02-12-14 at 06:09 PM.

Name:	fuel tank cock up 003.JPG 
Views:	78 
ID:	79633

Any fuel where the tape measure is, is purely ballast.

Ballast has no place on a race car (unless there is a minimum weight for class)

GTO engine ? Nah mate, the V8 Nazi's reckon those rubber band Mitsi motors are rubbish, gotta have a timing chain !

1NZ all the way- got timing chain - must be good !

Name:	radiator 001.JPG 
Views:	66 
ID:	79649

I started on Fuel tank #2 this afternoon, but stopped when I needed to get it folded up, tomorrow...

So I returned to the radiator and whipped up a top bracket, yes the radiator is mounted upside down, the outlet for the bottom hose cuts a lower line because it is at 45 degrees. I just smeared silicon on a self tapper and screwed it into the overflow fitting and put a cap where a cap belongs. The Echo will donate it's radiator filler fitting and that will go in the engine bay. I intend running a couple of aluminium pipes from the engine bay to the radiator, in the period it was popular to run the coolant through the chassis tubes !

I purchased a couple of 3/4 " trailer brake master cylinders and they will become the brake master cylinders with a bias bar between them and the pedal....another $40 spent....

More good progress today, I got the 2nd fuel tank folded up, then cut the hole for the 'swirl pot' and pump/gauge unit. The speedway quik steer arrived, another $200 spent..... I started making a couple of mounting blocks for the steering rack and salvaged the fuel filler tube from the Echo to determine what diameter the fuel filler on the tank needs to be.

I think next will be the front bulkhead and front suspension points on the chassis and I need to find a nice small steering wheel...

So I managed to cut out and weld in a front bulkhead, with a bulge in it to clear the bottom radiator hose, that gave me something to mount the steering rack onto. So I carefully measured up where that aught to be and went about mounting that.

lets see how correct that turns out ?

With the Steering rack mounted and the quick steer in hand, I mounted the quick steer and created a steering column, only to look at it this morning and decide that I wasn't happy with the position of the quick steer, cut it off and start again....

Ah well that is the way it goes...

Still faffing around with the mounting of the quick steer.....

I've determined that I need a 300 mm diameter steering wheel, being that they are harder to find I've cut the shape out of 6 mm alloy plate (4 mm would have been fine) I'm thinking now that I'll form the grip from body filler any other suggestions ? (CAMS don't allow wood)

I need to move on to pedals soon, determine whether the clutch will be cable or hydraulic, cable will likely win out as that is how the Subaru Brumby donor operated. I'll just need Flexible Drive Agencies to whip up a long one,same with the accelerator pedal I guess.

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    I've determined that I need a 300 mm diameter steering wheel, being that they are harder to find I've cut the shape out of 6 mm alloy plate (4 mm would have been fine) I'm thinking now that I'll form the grip from body filler any other suggestions ? (CAMS don't allow wood)
    The wheel off my old racer is like that. Just take it to a car upholsterer and they can sort all that out.

YAY I finally got the steering all sorted out today, I'll get a photo up tomorrow.

Having sorted that out, I got onto McGill motorsport and ordered the required rod ends & etc to construct the front suspension arms, whilst on there I noted that they have 300 mm steering wheels so I bought one of those as well !

Meanwhile I reckon I'll make a start on the gearchange mechanism soon.

I was forced to have a bit of a clean up in the shed today, I got a bit distracted yesterday and routered out of a chunk of Polyurethane foam a rough mould for a steering wheel, finding an old tin of bog I mixed the contents with the remains of the hardener and poured it into the crude mould. In preparation for this I'd drilled a ring of holes through the steering wheel so I pushed the steering wheel down into the bog and it squeezed through the holes and reformed on the topside of the alloy. In a few minutes the bog was going of, with quite a bit of heat I must add. So I smashed the foam from the increasingly hard bog and set into it with a file and angle grinder trying to rough out the shape before the bog got really hard.

The consequence of all this was polyurethane dust, smashed foam and bog dust everywhere..........

So I had a mighty mess to deal with this morning.

Having got the place kinda tidy again I decided to have a look at an accelerator pedal.

In my previous racecars I'd always used a reworked Magna Pedal ( they were Magna powered) So I started with the same component......Faaark what a headfuck ! It took much of the afternoon to dick around with a dozen variations before I came up with some thing that I'm pleased with the operation of, it works beautifully, but it is UGLY !

I haven't come up with a prettier solution yet, so it can wait....

Oh, and the steering wheel

Well I didn't have a curved bit for the router so the mould spat out a steering wheel with a square section, but a bit of work with a rasp and a die grinder and it is shaping up alright.....prettier than the accelerator pedal at least !

pics?
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Sorry, here we are, Quick steer and steering column/ rack

Name:	steering 001.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	79875

The worlds ugliest accelerator pedal

Name:	steering 003.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	79876

And one mans attempt at creating a steering wheel

Name:	steering 004.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	79877

Right, I think I aught to get down there and insert the missing chassis tubes....

Well I managed to fit the tubes to the chassis that were missing and finished roughing out the steering wheel.

Right now I'm thinking I should start on forming the plug or mould for the nosecone, my intention is to roll with a single abbreviated nosecone in fiberglass and a rolled aluminium panel along the side to the rear radius rods. I think that is as much as is required. I don't wish do any more fiberglass/body work than is absolutely necessary.

The local mechanical genius has the engine and gearbox, and has been tasked with joining the 2 together, however not only is his wife pregnant but the man known as bp18t has just bought a new race car and that will be demanding attention also so patience may be required....