Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Oops! A guy in Hotbricks put up for sale a Motorkhana special, complete with 8 3 piece wheels. before I knew it it was sitting in my driveway and the wheels were in pieces while I worked out what I could create. 2 by 13 x 10 and 2 by 13 x 12 Sweeet.
    Only a single pair of slicks from all of them were worth keeping 230-550/13 so they will go on the 10s

Some say a race car should be designed from the wheels inward I know it certainly helps to know the wheel and tyre size before laying out anything else.

As in the past my customers are being very helpfull with contributions, one has donated a Subaru L wagon transaxle and another a Telstar TX5 complete with Mazda KL engine. I find that the uprights that I still have parts for, fit inside the wheels , so that is all good. There is a Magna in my paddock that donated it's rear calipers this morning and an Echo round behind the shed that is about to lose it's hubs and etc.

The recent storm in SA made an awfull mess of my work space so I spent this afternoon gutting it out and cleaning it up, I'll drop the build table tomorrow and start cutting steel....

Always good to catch up on your posts Roy! What trans is the one that went south?

8x3 piece wheels. Not interested in off loading 4 of them are you?

Here we go again!
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    Always good to catch up on your posts Roy! What trans is the one that went south?
    The pinion that failed was in a Subaru Brumby trans, I'm confident it was an oil issue, I had filled it with ATF which of course doesn't protect hypoid gears!

Quote Originally Posted by rodoe View Post
    8x3 piece wheels. Not interested in off loading 4 of them are you?
    I'm hoping to move on the Mkhana special with them on, but I'm on the trail of others, can keep you posted..

You're continuing with your build, good

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    I'm hoping to move on the Mkhana special with them on, but I'm on the trail of others, can keep you posted..

You're continuing with your build, good
    Yes, after watching historics a few weeks ago I'm back at it, unfortunately gave my wheels away😯 Having trouble even finding 4x100 13x5.5 steelies for formula ford tyres. As soon as I weld my first tube I'll start a build thread. Build table is made and now practicing my oxy/lpg nickel bronze welding.
    I know you now have a KLDE , plenty of threads on ford probe sites (US version of mx6 ) discussing the JDM version, the KLZE which puts out another 50hp. Beautiful engine i was considering with a vw bus trans till i got the zx12r engine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheels 001.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	97103

Wheels painted and assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post

Name:	wheels 001.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	97103

Wheels painted and assembled.
    Wow, very nice!

Name:	fiat 540 hyd 006.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	97701

Separating Mazda KL and required wiring from a '94 telstar TX5, coming along fine.

I do like the way it revs!

Mid life crisis moment....

May be about to bite off more than I can chew, and have to chew like hell for a while....

but wouldn't want to die wondering.

The last week has been interesting....

Last sunday I spotted a new listing on RACECARSDIRECT which has had me really thinking.

A 1991 Ralt RT 24 F3000 roller....

Now, usually they are simply out of my league but as a BOSS car they are the top of the heap as far as I'm concerned. Minimum 400 hp, around 550kg, wings and big slicks, near 300 kph proper racing car.

It really got me thinking.......I mean reeeeally got me thinking

As it turns out this particular car was originally assembled at Ralt by a mate of mine.....it was sold new to Nelson Piquet....never completed a race in it's short racing career and has spent most of it's life as a hillclimb car in Europe.

In short it's price reflects it's worth. The RT24 was a poor contender and this one is a dodgy example.....but still it is a carbon tubbed BOSS "built" by Ralt and owned by a 3 time WDC.....

My cheap intent was to fit a twin turbo mazda KL for 400 hp @9000 rpm and hillclimb it.

The question is though, would I be much/any slower up Collingrove in something built in the shed, likely lighter, with the same engine.....maybe not, and I wouldn't be working to pay off a carbon BOSS?

But at 50 I'm running out of years where I could use such a thing and what price a dream?

You can see why this is occupying my thoughts.......

I'd post a photo of the car in question but my laptop is ailing and refuses to..just google it, it is the red one ( there were only 2)

That looks really cool! Don't ask us for advice, we'll sell you down the road of no money and happy dreams.

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    You might be able to afford to buy it, but can you afford to fix it if you crash it?

I can imagine nothing worse than driving an irreplaceable racing car...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

can't handle the truth... Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    You might be able to afford to buy it, but can you afford to fix it if you crash it?

I can imagine nothing worse than driving an irreplaceable racing car...
    Pretty much this.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

I believe the tub has been repaired in the past and I ran the tub repair scenario past my man, he said it is less a problem of regaining strength, more of adding weight. Beyond that the wishbones are all steel/moly, uprights would be more tricky although they are common with the RT23 (much more common), the nose has already been replaced with a RT23 nose.

Yeh, I dunno....just dunno

Wow, the two guys above are far more sensible/practical/looking out for your best interest. I still think that's so cool and would look great as a peice of art even if it was crashed. Would bring a smile to my face being able to say to myself, I raced that car every time I saw it hanging in the shed. Make sure if you ever do crash it to hang it opposite your beer fridge so that you have a few minutes drinking a beer admiring it every time you have a beer. You of course might be drinking tiger beer /water since your broke but it'll be worth it.

You can still build your own machines too.

Price up a set of tyres..
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

If its specifically for collingrove remember that its a very narrow track and wide cars like the Shrike and Tighes F3 Judd seem to struggle as they only have 1 real line to take.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by da9jeff; 12-02-17 at 09:41 AM.
    Tow car/daily: 2011 D40 Navara ST

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    If its specifically for collingrove remember that its a very narrow track and wide cars like the Shrike and Tighes F3 Judd seem to struggle as they only have 1 real line to take.

True.

I've just spent the last hour with the nopics (missus-german) sending an email with some questions. See what comes of it...

Name:  Ralt RT24.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  7.9 KBName:  Ralt RT 24.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  8.4 KB

Ah! my laptop is allowing me to download photos again.

The tub is pictured when for sale in 2002 and the complete car is the picture from current advert, I suspect that the current condition of the car is somewhere between the two...

can't handle the truth... Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    I just think this open wheeler you built now is pretty much the ideal race car, it doesn't owe you a heap of money, it's not complicated, and if you bin it you can fix it yourself (since you built it yourself) and it's fucken cool to boot.

Are you afraid of giving it ten-tenths out on the track in case you break something? I think not.

Will you feel the same way about something that owes you a heap of money and will be costly to fix? I'd be surprised if the answer is yes.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

Very sound reasoning...but...

Whynotboth.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

What about an alloy tub RT4? Should be abit smaller and simpler. Or a old f3 roller and build something similar to Dean Tighes Judd powered beast.

Tow car/daily: 2011 D40 Navara ST

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Since when are cars sensible? They are emotional purchase decisions. If you can afford it, go buy your art and have fun driving/looking/building it.

I come from an Adelaide that hosted GP's in which "We rode cannonballs": Gerhard Berger, If I'm going to mess with a real racing car it is going to have to have power to burn, the F3000 was designed to use a DFV with 400 hp @ 9000rpm so that is the minimum, of course if a KL on boost easily makes more than that (and I'm led to believe it will) then so be it..

I think I realised that I'd have to go to a bigger heavier car when I figured that turbocharging the 1.5 Echo motor probably wasn't going to yield more than 200 hp and that was going to place the Subaru Transaxle under stress.

Going to a bigger engine means carrying more weight, the KL at around 130 kg is not a bad capacity to weight ratio and because it is a V6 is compact and revs well, it actually is 15 kg lighter than a DFV of course it will end up heavier when installed with turbos but not as heavy as a 195 kg 400 hp LS1...

Further to all of that, was finding a transale to work with that sort of output, the kind of thing you only find on racing cars of the higher calibre, Whilst I don't yet know what Hewland is fitted to the RT24 (not the original one, this much I can see) one hopes it is of sufficient capacity to deal with the 3 litre Mugen engine recently fitted and therefore a turbo KL...

This led me to look at transaxles, and what a bewildering array there are... and fuck are they exxy. Which led to looking at rolling BOSS chassis... at least that way you get a complete suitable unit, ratios, diff, driveshaft and suspension all in one package and some sweet centrelock wheels and hubs to boot!

So there is a logical progression to where I am.

Lets see where this all leads to...I imagine my usual invite will apply, if you can fit in it and operate it, you are welcome to have a go...

Just a thought (from a non engineer), but the engine would have been a stressed member carrying all suspension loads. Can the KL cope with that or would you be fabbing a bolt on cradle to take all the loads?

The loose thought was to fit a frame to the front of the engine to pick up the tub and another at the rear to pick up the "bellhousing" but quite honestly I'm not sure. I'm expecting that the V6 will be shorter than the DFV and thus will need spacing rearward slightly.

I have no qualms about putting chassis stress through the engine, the oily bits hurling around put more stress on the engine block than the tyres. BMW were concerned about this when they built their first V10 F1 engine but in due course discovered that the engine was considerably stiffer than the rest of the carbon structure.

Speaking of stress on oily bits, a mate bent and broke a lovely forged conrod on Saturday simply by applying to much pressure to it, E 85 is amazing in it's detonation resistance!

Hmmm...got a short email back from Germany (without requested pictures of back end and any other information) saying a deposit had been put on RT 24 and it was to be sold on 24/2...if it was still available after that I could throw my hat in.

I'm a little peeved, I wasn't going to lay my money down when I don't even know what model transaxle it is.....

Oh look ! someone is selling a complete rear end from a Euro Brun F1 car.....