Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Cool thread....

So you didn't end up buying a wheel? or you did and are still going to make this one?

This is genuinely cool man well.done !
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Thanks, yeh I ordered a steering wheel and proceeded with my own effort as well....

Geez that polyurethane foam is horrible shit, the dust gets everywhere.... still I'm making progress, I'll try to remember to take some photos tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nosecone 008.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	79961

That is the last of the tubework at the front of the car for the moment.

Name:	nosecone 005.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	79962

I'm still not appreciating the dust from the polyurethane foam but otherwise I'm getting there with the form. I had thought I'd wrap it, and change colours frequently, try out famous livery's etc, but the way it is looking at the moment Flat white with a Flat black stripe to conceal and break up the poor lines would be the go !

Meanwhile I shouldn't be so disparaging about 'my man', he has already started on my fuel tank and the engine to gearbox work is impending.....

Sadly, wife wants us to go away for a week after Christmas so that will slow things down.

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	80047

Plenty of clearance at the front for speed bumps &etc....LOL

Where do you get all this time! Lol
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Self employed, and pretty slack with it !

Building these things doesn't cost a lot of money, so I work only just enough to pay my bills and do this.....

You should make a few more of these and sell them! Looking awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    You should make a few more of these and sell them! Looking awesome!
    Shhh. Isn't that Cheapracer's business model?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Unfortunately money doesn't motivate me, I make things to waste it rather than to make it....

I like Cheapracer's vehicle, it makes lots of sense. and when it comes down to donor parts he has also selected well.

As for this build, MX5 uprights ? hardly common, but what else has the rack infront of the axle line and balljoints top and bottom? Think about it, long and hard .......

Again at the rear ? what could you use.....

Cheapracer, finds it slightly easier by going up a size to a 6 cylinder engine and 5 x 114.3 stud pattern, uses Toyota 2wd Hilux front and Tarago rear.

Remember everything is getting bigger and heavier, 2000 kg Falcon anyone? so it is harder and harder to find donor components for lightweight builds.

I was going to say, fg coons went front rack.. but sounds like you want something lighter/smaller

Jza80 supra
    Last edited by doctor ed; 18-12-14 at 09:47 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Neat build. Watching keenly!

Yes Doctor Ed, that is a fine package of parts I see you've taken delivery of, very impressed with the thinking.

Meanwhile in the shed I've had a gutfull of fibreglass, resin & etc, the nosecone is finished for now.

I've received my package from McGill motorsports so I can go ahead and start on the front suspension arms. I'm looking forward to that. Get some wheels on the thing and start to see it looking like a car.

Good shit Roy. Backyard engineering at its finest!

Name:	upper arms 004.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	80112

So that is where the nosecone is up to and I got the upper front arms together in the last couple of days. I've also received a welded fuel tank. It can be seen where it is to be fitted, behind the seat.

In case you're wondering about the colour, it will match the Mini, complete with stripe !

Name:	009.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	80113

Need to add some numbers to the tally, $100 for Fiberglass resin, catalyst and paint, and $360 for the Rod ends, spherical brgs, bias bar and steering wheel. I had the fiberglass mat kicking around from when I did the NACA ducts for the Porsche and the PU foam I acquired from a customer.

I'm looking forward to creating the lower front arms tomorrow and getting it on it's wheels.

I've just realised that the place with my sheet of alloy is on Christmas break till the 5th......that's gunna slow things a little !

I'm sure I'll find things to keep me amused......

Rapid progress is rapid
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Name:	4 wheels 003.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	80145

Finally got to the point where I can hang 4 wheels on it, I guess I'll need to look into what I'll need in the way of coilovers for the front and sort out the steering arms...

very cool Roy nice work.
    DJ's don't need sigs

What front uprights? We're looking at Gemini due to seeing a few hill climbers using them.
    Tow car/daily: 2011 D40 Navara ST

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

I've just been reading the 991 gt3 thread in street cars, more power, less weight, more power less weight till it becomes unstreetable.......

Then, you might as well have a lightweight little racing car.....

Cheaper to run the less weight you have, uses less brakes and tyre. I don't know what a GT3 weighs but I'll take a punt at 1200 kg, so that is 3 times the weight of a light racecar ( formula Ford ?) FF probably has a higher power to weight ratio and costs less for tyres and brakes. It's a no brainer really.

But boys will be boys ! Gotta have the loud uncomfortable road car.

As for the uprights on my little jigger, they are mentioned in the text, twice.

Well that is it for this year. I got one side of the steering sorted, only to realise that the rack wasn't in the centre when I marked out the length and cocked it up ! to short, she cried.

I'll have to sort that out next year...

Cheers All.

I've managed to sneak a few hours in the shed around festive dinners and etc.

I managed to get the front end / steering arms sorted then got onto the brake box, I bought a balance bar assembly from McGill motorsports so I had to fit that into a pedal and box with the trailer brake master cylinders. This is what I finished with.

Name:	brake box 001.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	80202

And sitting in situ

Name:	brake box 004.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	80203

I expect that will be it now till next year, pack the trailer and head off for a week away...
    Last edited by Roy928tt; 25-12-14 at 08:58 PM.

Cool project.

WooHoo my man has joined the gearbox to the engine.

So I can pick up that tomorrow and work on making it fit.

Meanwhile more evil plans are afoot...

So I managed to get to pick up my driveline this morning, despite the closed roads for the bushfire.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	driveline meet chassis 002.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	80492
    It doesn't quite fit well, but the chassis is mild steel so no problem to rework things to make it fit better. Driveshaft angles are always going to be sub par but in the big picture it just doesn't matter.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	driveline meet chassis 004.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	80493

Faaark What a day !

I've been messing around with the wiring. Prior to removing the engine from the donor car I stripped the wiring out and down to what seemed to be needed to run the engine. On receiving the engine back I was keen to see it start up again. So I jury rigged it all up and lo and behold it started !

So I started laying out the wiring where it needed to be and removed any unnecessary wires, dash & etc. starting the motor occasionally to check it was still running. This was all good till I started wrapping it and discovered a wire from the engine temp sender going nowhere - Now, I don't know everything, but I do know engine temp is an ECU input and that is what this wire should do, but do you think I can work out where it needs to go?

I've 2 other Echo's, they both have a different ECU to the donor ! The interweb describes a 2 pin temp sender, All 3 of mine are 3 pin ?

Baaaaahh!!

I was keen to retain the original ECU as a cost reduction but at the moment it's not looking good.

Promising news, well maybe. apparently on detecting a fault (ie. open circuit) Toyota assumes that everything is normal and the ECU runs the engine as if it is at 80 degrees C, might make cold starts awkward ?

Lets see.....