Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

So more progress, sorted out the engine mounts on the RHS, then rigged up a gear change mechanism, I'd never done one of these before. My previous cars used a Pr. of cables whereas this is a single rod. So I wasn't so confident, but it worked OK. Despite that I think I'll try a different style of mechanism, a copy of the Porsche 962 actuator. Either will work I'm sure.

The build is entering the phase where much effort goes in to produce a barely visible result and the list of things to be done never seems to reduce.

It is the time when motivation can waver and the end seems unachievable. Just got to continue to plod along.

I had to strip everything from the chassis today to roll it over and weld in engine mounts, brake pedal box and front suspension mounts.

I guess while it is upside down I should look at fitting the floor ? Maybe a clutch master Cyl. while I'm at it. My man rigged up a clutch slave Cyl. so I guess I'm using hydraulics !

2 months in and losing motivation?... I was just thinking how fast this thing is coming together, I'm sure it would have taken me 12 months to get to this point. It's looking great so keep at it.

Yeh made a little more progress, got the floor cut and drilled for rivets. Fabbed up a pedal box for the clutch master cylinder. Started on another gearchange mechanism.....

Yeh I'm getting there...Thanks for the push

Yeah Roy you're a legend. Chuck some more pics up! Are you riveting the floor from the underside?

What's with this weather?

First, heat and bushfires, now rainy and cool. Bloody chassis is getting surface rust and shed floor is awash.

I spent 6 hrs today rebuilding a hydraulic cylinder on a Kobelco excavator in the rain, I did manage to pick up some parts today, so not entirely wasted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	80795

The latest and likely final gear lever arrangement.

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	80796

Clutch master cylinder and pedal arrangement

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	80797

The composite floor cut and drilled ready for riveting on, I used 4 mm composite, a thin sheet of alloy either side of a plastic core brushed alloy colour on one side and black on the other. I reckon I could have used 1.5 alloy on this one, but on my previous cars I needed something more rigid to span a wider floor and had this piece left over.

Well I had a good afternoon in the shed, finished the engine mounts and tubework under the engine. Gee, doesn't sound like much! But feels like a nice step forward.

Otherwise I've had a disturbing day. Last night I received a notice informing me that my work truck was out of rego, a quick check revealed that yes indeed, it expired Dec 31st while I was on holiday. Clearly so relaxed I clean forgot about it. So I've been driving it unregistered for 9 days since I got back from holidays.

This morning I received the first expiation notice from a fixed camera, from the 8th Jan, $404 thank you very much and that is just the first one. Goodness only knows how many cameras I've driven through in the last 9 days ??

Not Pretty at all.........

Ah the joys of SA's new sticker less rego system, it's a joke. I've been done a few times too. The best you can do is setup multiple reminders: https://enotice.sa.gov.au/

I've done email and SMS. It's a fair bit of money that should go on the car.....

I'm enjoying the build, keep it up!

Finally, seems to have taken forever but I've finally got a gearchange that works in a reasonable fashion. Not quite the slick riflebolt change that one dreams of, but it seems to be reliable and as good as can be expected for the budget and time spent.

I suspect that it will improve with the engine running, hope so....
    Last edited by Roy928tt; 20-01-15 at 07:50 PM.

Name:	gearchange 003.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	80973

Name:	gearchange 004.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	80974

Name:	gearchange 005.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	80975

There is much more to creating such things than seems apparent at first glance.

It continues to be impressed on me, that the more you do, the more you learn.

Unfortunately that means that before you have even finished a car, you are already designing a replacement, with updates learned from building the current one...

So I was thinking it might be time to weld on some harness mounts. How was that done back in the day ?

It wasn't !

I found a lovely photo of Graham Hill in the new Lotus with the new Cosworth DFV in the rear, and there he is, squeezed into the cockpit, no harnesses and the flimsy rollbar barely makes it to halfway up the back of his helmet. Any wonder they died regularly in those days !

Please add some sort of restraint!

Woo Hoo ! got a good run at it today, hopefully I'll have it back on it's wheels with the ability to start the engine tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to see how far I get this weekend. I've actually started a list of things to do and am getting through them I'm hoping I can post an interesting update tomorrow evening......

Name:	on the floor 001.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	81066

Name:	on the floor 006.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	81067

Name:	on the floor 007.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	81068

There we go, on the floor, and the engine is capable of being started.

Wheels are pointing in all directions and the springs need to be reconfigured, and a million more things besides. At least I've managed to have a bit of a clean up.

I am really impressed with the way it rolls on the floor, clearly it is not a heavy machine, can't wait to weigh it. I'm hoping it will come in at under 425 kg so it will be under 500 with me in it. That should give an easy 200hp/ tonne.

looks fantastic roy

Looks tiny!

Stunner
    DJ's don't need sigs

It is tiny !

Standing next to it, it is knee high !

53 1/2 inch track, 88 inch wheelbase it is actually a few inches shorter than it should be, I think that came about from using the Mazda uprights at the rear and the wishbone geometry at the front.

Did you work from a plan or just piece it together on the table? I'd love to have a crack at something like this.

For the chassis I scouted around on the internet looking at Brabham chassis from the early 60s, roughly scaled the size from the wheels and sketched out a loose plan with approximate measurements.

The uprights determine where the suspension pick up points go, I made coreflute models and played with stringlines till I was happy with geometry. Rules have been broken, and will continue to be tampered with, there are things that are not 100% technically correct but I'm betting it will be a fun little car none the less...

Ah, I see. I was wondering if there were plans floating around. I guess finding some decent illustrations would be a good start.

I agree, it will be a fun toy when you get it finished.

Work slowly progresses, I've plumbed up the front brakes, fortunately the brake hoses from the front of the Echo are long enough and I reused some of the bundy pipe and T piece as well.

I cut out a piece of alloy/plastic composite for the dash and started on the rear "strut brace" it is very much a work in progress but I'm fleshing it out as I go along.

I did start taping up the wiring loom but realised I probably have a couple of additions to make so gave up on that.

I've managed to create a rear 'strut brace' and run a couple of lengths of bundy tube for the clutch and rear brakes.

Tidied up the wiring a little more and crimped a couple of pieces of alloy tube down to the correct diameter for the hoses on the radiator. The radiator outlets are 28 mm and the engine outlets 32mm, I've got 32 mm alloy pipe but I can't fit the length in my crimper so I've had to cut a couple of short lengths, crimp them, then get my man to weld them onto the length of pipe. In addition to that welding, now that I've sorted the gearchange he can also seal up the rear of the gearbox. So I'll drop that round to his place tomorrow.

Once I can run the engine for a period I can sort out the last of the wiring. Oh exhaust ! the manifold is pointing at a crossbrace alongside the engine ? Not quite certain what is going to happen there yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    . Oh exhaust ! the manifold is pointing at a crossbrace alongside the engine ? Not quite certain what is going to happen there yet....
    Cut off, replace with zoomies?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Somebody else here bought an older open-wheeled racecar to restore it.. anyone remember the build thread?

There are a bunch of drawing of Bowin Formula Cars from the late 60's and early 70's on the Bowin website.

http://www.bowincars.org/mediawiki-1...e=Car_Drawings

The Bowin company was founded in 1968 by John Joyce, a successful designer and builder of racing cars. John Joyce had travelled to England and joined Lotus
    as a Project Engineer, later becoming the Chief Development Engineer. While at Lotus his responsibilities included design and development of all aspects of formula type race cars, Indy, sports, rally and high performance road cars. His projects at Lotus Cars included the famous Europa, the Type 40 and Lotus 41. He returned to Australia to found Bowin Designs Pty. Ltd. in 1968, which designed and built racing cars. Only fifty six cars were ever built, between 1968 and 1976, when Bowin exited from the racing industry to concentrate on other products. A comprehensive history of Bowin is at: http://www.bowincars.org and more Bowin racing car information is also available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowin_Cars
    Last edited by Old Major; 29-01-15 at 11:00 AM.
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

WOW that is great stuff, Thanks xbgs351

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    Work slowly progresses
    lol. you have almost built a racecar from scratch in less than 3 months so far. you are going amazingly quick! cant wait to see it go
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Yeh I'm getting a bit keen to, I bought the clutch slave cylinder and hose yesterday, and a T piece for the rear brake lines so that can be finished soon. The coolant pipes are in the hands of "the Man" so they will be finished soon, then I should be able to start and drive it, Woo Hoo

Haphazard progress at the moment, but progress none the less. I've got plumbing to 3 brakes, I join to complete in the clutch plumbing and 2 joins to sort out in the coolant plumbing, 1 earth lead to make and 2 driveshafts. there will be a truckload of other things but if I complete these, Ah! throttle cable as well, I'll be able to drive it.