Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a DFV to throw in front of the gearbox, and the added bonus is stuff might fit first go

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

DFV not hard to find, just spendy!
    " I didn't have $$$$$, so I thought I'd build a car instead" : Ron Tauranac

We priced one, it's not so much the initial expense it's the rebuilds on the time schedule that makes it painful. Would one day love to do it though.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    it's the rebuilds on the time schedule that makes it painful.
    Dropping the redline 1-2,000rpm turns them from a motor that will run for 3 hours flat chat to one that will run 24hours flat chat.

My windsor comment was in reference to the MX5s.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I just stumbled across a saying, I'll put it here so I don't lose it "Power comes from speed, Torque without speed is nothing"

I like that it operates on different levels...Talk without speed is nothing...

Opens
    Preheating a DFV so the starter will turn it over, would get old pretty quick, unless it was built loose.

Mate brought in a bunch of indycar brakes, when one of the fab shops owners over there retired, biggest cast iron rotors they use are 328, and that's with 15" wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    tell me more
    is this a hard swap?
    how does it compare to, say, a duratec/jag V6 conversion which i also can't afford
    have a read of this thread - https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/t...ome-guzzi-rat/

So are you saying the shock and the spring will be mounted on different arcs. Thus must be separate units? Not coil over shock? I'm not following how the spring will be held is situ?
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Well to start with I'd use the belleville washers/disc springs.....and simply ( it has to be simple, because I'm doing it) lay out some way of compressing them at a different motion rate to the shocker....

I delivered the car to my tuner today, t'was quite a drive for the work truck in the heat of today....

He thinks it will deliver more power than I anticipated, I'll be happy to be wrong!

Express from the Red Bull Drawing office

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red bull drawings 004.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	104670

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post

My box of springs...

Attachment 104551
    Arrrrrr! I'm a dimwit.

Thankyou.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

That Kiwi Vauxhall Viva is very cool, since I've become enlightened about the Mazda KL I keep thinking of things that they would work well in, early Commodores, Mazda 121.....

Ahhhh, an interesting revelation on the Dirt Circuit front.

My nemesis, lets call him James (cos that's his name) loudly proclaimed that my open wheeler was dangerous and the scrutineers jumped on the bandwagon. They sought clarification of a line in the rule book and decreed that whatever the roll cage was welded to must be the same thickness or greater. Being that I'd welded the 32NB light (roll cage material)to a section of 40 X 40 X 1.6 this allowed them to ban my car. Sadly James had just BOUGHT another car, previously owned by the president of the Dirt Circuit association..... I seriously suspect that it doesn't conform to the rule as applied to my car....as far as I can see the local club will have no option but to ban his car....

The car he has bought is one of 3 built by the former president ( you can see how closed this group is) for his son and the more recent president. I accept that they are fine vehicles but they were built by someone with as keen a eye on the rulebook as I and are light, their rollcage will not be welded to something of the same thickness.....

Which of course means little, you just join another club that doesn't ban your car...but I will derive great satisfaction from seeing his plans disrupted by the ruling that he brought about to ban my car.

Is this the green car you are talking about?

Were you going to race that on dirt?
    Last edited by mrniceguy; 09-02-18 at 06:46 PM.

This is the predecessor to the one that was banned, a turbocharged Magna drivetrain/front chassis with cage and front X member from an AU Falcon. It was one of the top 3 cars in the class till it was written off

Name:	the correct position.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	104689

The following one had the magna motor attached to a ssangyong 140D transaxle and was 150 kg lighter

Name:	for sale 003.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	104692

Then one was thrown together to comply, with the new interpretation, everything was made of 32NB light pipe, and painted brown because there were complaints from other drivers that they couldn't see the blue one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	104693

But I had had my fill of fools and it never actually raced....

Like I've said earlier, I reckon I could build a demon fast one now.

im lost. which car just got banned?
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

LOL the middle car was banned.

Having been working away from 1991 to 2011 I'd done little motorsport in that period. In 1992 I'd joined the Dirt Circuit club in Roxby Downs (Olympic Dam Mine) and the cheap, fast, short track racing appealed to me. It took me nearly 20 years till I was in the position to persue it properly. So in late 2010 as I was planning my departure from the regular workforce I was also planning my entry to Dirt Circuit. Little had changed, front engined V8 dinosaurs, so I figured that a front wheel drive drivetrain behind the driver, lower and lighter would do the job. I figured for the short track a large capacity was needed for instant torque, manual transmission because they are lighter and Magna because they are cheap!

Initially, the car was welcome, but as I developed the car, that waned, at the start of my second season I even got from a scrutineer "the rule is not in the rulebook, but I'm applying it anyway" I competed at 18 meetings in my first year and the car was getting faster and faster.

Development of the car was flying along however, so I joined the Arno Bay club (only 550km from home, but they accepted the car as it was) By now I was down to extracting some more power from the magna motor via a china turbo, twice I travelled to Arno only to explode the engine in the first race! Magna motors have an issue with the front cylinders failing, eventually the issue was understood and mitigated. I think I finished 3rd in the state that year..

The first round of the 2013 state titles saw me finish the day in 3rd position and I believe I had the fastest car in my class( starting positions are determined by marble draw) the 2nd and final round, would be at my 'home' track Arno confidence was high. Unfortunately I crashed the car heavily 2 weeks prior to the 2nd round and had already started work on the Ssangyong transaxle car so I didn't fix it.

Release of the "2012 rule book update" early in 2014 was really the beginning of the end for me. The Clubs had voted to allow rear engine cars to have rear radiators. Somewhere along the way the rule was "lost" and didn't arrive in the rule book. Given I was the only person the rule affected, I took this personally. It was I who had to move the radiator in the transaxle car....

I only raced the transaxle car once, one single race, I won that race, put it on the trailer and gave it away.( I mean literaly, gave the car to the guy who was waving the start/finish flag) James was in that race, with his dinosaur, with it's professionally built 429 hp small block and big speedway tyres. I don't think he was happy....

So whilst I said 'my' car it wasn't actually in my possesion when it was banned, it was however my creation...

I whipped up the brown car as an act of good faith to the guy who I had given the 'banned' car to, but his life took a turn and it never got used....

All in all, my attempt at motor racing was a lesson in human frailty......

we should get the brown car out roy.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Dirt circuit is quite interesting. My story is not much different from roys.
    I sold my IPRA car after it won the nationals and was looking for something to keep me going while I built a new race car.
    I went and watched roy in his car at truro (closest track to me, an hour or so drive)
    Thought ok ill build a wrx run it in the top tin top class (full of ex speedway cars with two foot wide hoosiers and 900hp keith black v8s.
    The intention was to run it with my kids because they could run in the kids class and I could run the normal stuff.
    With a budget of 6k I bought a auto wrx (for the kids you see) that was hail damaged and built it light like I would any race car.
    First event it broke in the first race.
    Next event at truro I won all four races from the rear and gapped last years champion by a third of a lap or so.
    He/They didn't like that. and who would like to get smashed by a 6k car when you are running a car worth 50k.
    So the ex champ on more than one occasion that day tells me if I get in the way he will punt me off, and at the next meeting put up a rule to basically ban awds (well not ban them but wanted another class for awd and the club only had two. so that meant we either needed to find more to race or they would let us race but start half a lap back and have no timing.)
    He took mates to get the 50% he needed for this change and got it.
    I sold the car.
    The rule got overturned shortly after I left.
    Weirdest motorsport ive been involved with.
    If someone comes along and does it better, ban them.
    I can laugh about it now.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Was there banjos playing at the track for no real reason? What a bunch of hicks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

It's a pity, it could be really exciting cheap racing. With a little imagination....

Goodness have I got some spare time with the racecar away being tuned.

Be gold to do a PF takeover. Get 5 or so people to build up shit box cheap turbo 4wds who can drive like Tony, dominate them all and then move on.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Its been 16 days since Roy's last! I expect he's built a whole new car from scratch in that time.😀

I believe the production at this time is in the hands of another. Eg the tuner.

All good things come to those who wait.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

16 days... seems like a lifetime....I so want to call him up and see how it is going, but it is in his hands and he doesn't need me hassling him. He will call me if there is an issue* or when it is ready to be picked up.

* there will be no issue he can't deal with...

So I finally cracked....given that I was supposed to pick up the car this weekend...hardly surprising.

With this weekend fast appoaching and my work truck engine deteriorating daily I decided I wouldn't chance picking up the race car with it. So a quick dip into the world of Gumtree to pick up a Magna Wagon, for $800 I've picked up exactly what I wanted, 3.5 litre, auto, freezing A/C, towbar and roofrack. Suitably equiped to pick up the race car I rang my man.

He has had my car on the dyno, but it wasn't finished and wasn't on the dyno when I rang him......I was very disappointed, I'd had to wait my turn to get on the dyno, why wasn't mine finished before the next car started? I mean mine isn't the easiest car to put on the rollers(with it's lack of reverse) so why take it off?

Turns out he has had an ignition issue, still it's not going to fix itself while he works on somebody elses car.

I'm managing to hold my patience, admirably, I believe. In the hope that he will get on top of everything in the next couple of days and I'll get it back in time to give it a quick shakedown at Pt Gawler prior to it's official debut on saturday at collingrove. The Nopics is gearing up to entertain invited friends and aquaintances, It'd be a pisser If I can't present the car to the invited throng.....My scottish heritage can't lose, I could always cross enter to the little old hillclimber, mind you I'd still need to fetch my car trailer to do that!

Anyway I hope he can get to the root of the issue and extract some power in the next 48 hrs...It's been there a month, it shouldn't be coming down to this. Hrumph

Sadly your story sounds about average thus far from my experience. By about 8 weeks you start to get real shitty I've found. LOL
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Any ideas on ignition fault ?
    Stock coil inside dizzy is a known wear item on these ( google hei mod for ford probe for the Yankee solution )
    Some models had external coil 2.0 kf cronos
    Or maybe it's telling you to ditch the dizzy and go wasted spark or coil on plug ...
    Hope it's ripping up hills again soon

Yeh we are both aware of the coil issue with these, he seems to think it is a interference to the crank angle sensor signal and has fitted a filter to that....It's all techno babble to me. I didn't quiz him on whether he had replaced cap rotor leads and plugs as I'd told him he would likely want to, or whether he has closed up the plug gap at all, but I expect he knows that stuff and has.

I'd be happy to go COP or whatever, IF it needs it, at the point where it is it shouldn't need it.

Waiting, all the rest is racing....

The distributor on the K8 engine had an external coil, indeed the ignition system is clearly quite different on that engine.