Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Looks like so much fun... now put the twin turbo V6 in it!
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

I took it out today for a shakedown, just the little Kart and Drift track at Pt Gawler. What a laugh, straight out of the box it just seemed to do everything right, a little adjustment of the brake bias and there was more confidence in the stopping ability. As I did more laps and got more accustomed to it I discovered that I would break first, the padded tub is no substitute for a racing seat ! And my back and neck started to ache from trying to hold myself in place as it hurtled around the track, the little 185/60-14s doing there best to hold on. It is biddable, you can squeeze the throttle for a little more oversteer or lean on the front for a little more understeer, but isn't simply intent on pitching you of the circuit.

Been meaning to ask about the pullrod springing on the rear - Bellvilles?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

If you used smaller profile tyres on 13" rims, would you then be able to wind up the suspension creating a better angle for the c.v joints?
    NA8B 89 KW's- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181 KW's- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP- P.I 1:46.2 damp track

Yes, they are sold as disc springs, front and rear, fronts are hidden in the shockers.

No Fucks given about driveshaft angles. Apparently it will consume a little power to turn them at the current angle, no shortage of power, no problem.

Current line of thinking for the next one is an Eaton supercharged Duratec 3.0 V6 for 300 hp/ 500kg......600hp/Tonne ?

I managed to source a suitable fitting Kart seat yesterday, Thank You Gavin, and am well into fitting it. I intend to finish that this morning and take it out for another run at Pt. Gawler.

Oh, and design of fabricated front hubs is well under way, I struck a deal with Andre, who is embarking on a Midlana build that if he did the CAD work on the replacements he could have the old Mazda hubs.

Of course that will mean new wishbones and mounts on the chassis, but it is all just mild steel so no problem to cut off and replace.

after that of course will be the rear hubs....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-04 20_52_02-SolidWorks Premium 2014 x64 Edition - [Upright Assembly _].png 
Views:	27 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	83589

An early image of the upright.

It uses the rear Echo hub which simply bolts on, over that will go the Echo front disc and some caliper I found round the back of the shed, that is lighter than the Echo front caliper. Might be a Magna rear ?

When you are trying to stop only a 350 kg car it's not so critical.
    Last edited by Roy928tt; 08-05-15 at 08:54 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gavins seat 001.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	83613

What a difference a seat makes, pity about the weather, it was clear when I got to Pt. Gawler but it came in as I unloaded the car. A fine misty rain, enough to make everything wet, and slippery. I tried to get the brake balance right but ran out of adjustment, couldn't get enough pressure to the rears. I'll have to change one of the master cylinders, probably go up to 7/8 for the front as I've got one of them kicking around somewhere.

I need to shorten the upper arms on the front to get me a bit more negative camber adjustment. I'll probably do that over the weekend and be ready for another test drive on Monday.

Sounds like a hoot, congrats on getting it going.

So cool congrats
    DJ's don't need sigs

Thanks for the kind messages, the car is thanks enough in itself.

It is such a hoot to drive, an effort well worth going through and I haven't even driven it up a hill yet ! I think I'll be looking at the 26th or 27th for its hillclimb debut.

I changed the brake cylinder this morning and modified the top arms, I'm in the midst of creating new upper mounts for the front spring/shock assembly to put them on an even lower angle to soften them a little, see if I get a little more weight transfer to the front...

I've discovered that the Akerman angle of the Mazda uprights doesn't quite suit the current chassis and I'm not getting toe out on turns which will leave me with understeer no matter what I do elsewhere. As I've promised the uprights to Andre I will not bend the steering arms to rectify this, but will wait till I've a new fabricated set and get it right on them.

Onya mate, vids of it running/ driving?
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

I'm not really one of those people, if I had the money for a Go Pro or such, I'd probably spend it on a set of harnesses, and I can't video myself whilst driving it.

When I finally get to a hillclimb I'm sure one of my acquaintances can video my efforts.

So you started the build in November, and you're driving it around in May. Is this a PF record? Amazing work.

Definately a PF record. Especially for something scratch built. Great work roy, you have some mad skills!

B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Awesome built, looks like a heap of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    Current line of thinking for the next one is an Eaton supercharged Duratec 3.0 V6 for 300 hp/ 500kg......600hp/Tonne ?
    I'd like to hear more about this line of thinking.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

Good one mate, glad to hear it's going well! I really love the idea of a car like this.

Thanks for the kind words

Yeh, it has come along alright, I sent off the DXF files today for the front uprights to be cut.

I got the top spring/shock at the front moved on sunday and that is all good and workable. The simplicity of a mild steel tubular chassis shone through, simply cut things off and fit different things on, no balls busted.

Kart seat, why didn't I just go with that to start with???

The Speedway Quick Steer, damn good idea, coupled to the shortened rack it is working just sweetly, a quarter turn either way is as much as one needs and is a very handy fitment for the steering wheel !

Well, I spent an hour yesterday, in 3 twenty minute sessions, thrashing this thing around the Pt. Gawler track.

I'm very pleased with it, the alterations over the weekend all delivered what was hoped of them.

I could only do twenty minutes at a time, my right elbow is weak and would start to ache, and my back would also ache. It is amazing how physical it is to drive, I wouldn't believe that a 175/65-road tyre could generate such lateral forces. Today I notice I've got a bruise on my back from one of the seat bolts, can't feel that bolt when sitting in the car ?

I consider the car an absolute success and am already firming in my mind the makeup of the next one....

I will go back to Dirt Circuit with the next one, having decided on the 3.0 duratec, I've changed my mind, they are not common enough. Evey week in the damaged car auctions there are however camrys with the 1MZ 3 litre. Much more common, slightly less powerfull but equally capable of having a commodore supercharger fitted.

Coupled to a Subaru gearbox or transmission?

So a very similar car but with larger output and Dirt Circuit cagework, which is why it needs more output...

Malakia Industries
    Howabout a Subaru motor and box? Would save having to mess around with adapters, keep weight low in the chassis too.

Building a chassis around a Subaru engine would be a pain, they make crap power, and are not that low either, the exhausts exit on the bottom of the heads.

I'd rather adapt the trans to something nicer.

I suspect that the Echo engine is a surprisingly good choice, Toyota designed it to be light and torquey, in all reality I'd probably be smarter to add a turbo to it to raise the Hp/Kg ratio. But for Dirt Circuit the chassis will have to be heavier so I'll start with a heavier, larger capacity, engine with much more torque.

I really should be dry sumping the engine and inverting the transmission, but that costs real money.

Meh
    I could only do twenty minutes at a time, my right elbow is weak and would start to ache, and my back would also ache. It is amazing how physical it is to drive, I wouldn't believe that a 175/65-road tyre could generate such lateral forces.
    Well done!
    Chuck some 2nd-hand Formula Ford tyres onto it, it'll greatly increase the cornering power - You might think you're going fast but you're not.

I'm sure you are right.

The ethos of the car was to do it cheap, lets see how it goes at the hillclimb before I start spending more on it. I have a target time at the hillclimb that I'd like to see, lets see how close I get.

you have played with the mitsubishi engines a bit it seems.. what about a turbo 3.8 mitsu V6? might be a tad heavy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

I'm sure you are right.

The ethos of the car was to do it cheap, lets see how it goes at the hillclimb before I start spending more on it. I have a target time at the hillclimb that I'd like to see, lets see how close I get.
    Open wheeler track record is approx 27.5 seconds .[1500 Hayabusa ]

for "old style" Open Wheelers approx 35 to 40 ++seconds.

Even Blue "Avatar Mini"<<< can do it in 41.
    Last edited by Dave75; 17-05-15 at 12:07 PM.

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Yes Cameron ( Bueller)I have the experience with 6G74 but they are heavy, time to move on to something lighter. The bloody LS series of V8s are a very good thing but I believe pushrods belong in the suspension not the engine.

Yes I'm hoping to fall into the 36-38 sec area ? I really have no idea, the last thing I drove up there was a turbocharged Moke and it was around 40 sec.

My initial enthusiasm has waned, with the determination to go back to Dirt Circuit. There is something about the brutal short track racing that has some sort of masochistic attraction, or maybe it is just that when you beat the knuckle dragging ignorant fools in their "600hp" small blocks with a turbo magna motor, feels so good.

Bike engine is the go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Nobody gives a fuck about that time John D. Rockerfeller flew over your house dropping silver dollars while you were washing your Walking Bird, or that time you walked to Lakeside with a Triumph tied to your fucking belt, you fucking hypertard.

Yeh , to be serious, a bike engine is the go, in a full aero car weighting less than a light breeze on a spring morning...

I see Willem Toet is using a bike engine in his new creation.

No, the intention of this car is simply to have some cheap fun, hence the Echo engine, wheels/tyres, fuel pump etc