Thread: D40 Navara 4x4 with LS1 383 stroker+4L80e

D40 Navara 4x4 with LS1 383 stroker+4L80e

Car is an 08 D40 Navara with no motor. So PF brains trust, I am looking for advice for a project I have started collecting gear for.

The need is for V8 goodness with tough auto box for towing horse float and weekend fun duties and have decided on a 4L80e and GM NP241 transfer case which has same side drop as the Navara front diff. this part is not really of any concern other than stall type and speed.

The engine is the part that concerns me. It must be daily drivable with bulk torque. I want it to feel like its going to pull you through the seats when I hit the loud pedal. but drive stock like when not playing the fool.

I have an LS1, it is complete and free so my plan was to build a 383. 4.00 inch Lunati crank, 6.125 rods and CP Carillo or JE forged pistons to have a compression ratio of 10.5:1. Heads will have a CNC port job and stock valves, LS6 manifold, 92mm throttle body. (bottom end is WAY overkill, however if the boost itch bites, it will be strong)

How does this package look for drivability, power, torque and reliability?
    Cam spec suggestions?
    Any advice, for more or less anything to achieve the goals outlined.

Sorry for the novel

Turbo ls1?

turbo v8 is made for what you want, even basic LS1, GT4088 combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Yoda
    I <3 Hamster

So 2 posts, Both voting for turbo V8.

If I boost it, I will not be spending 3K on stroked forged internals, I would possibly use forged pistons and upgrade rods with ARP rod bolts and have the combo balanced and reassembled with new bearings throughout.

3K+ of stroker combo to be spent on GTX4XXX and water to air intercooler.

Is this a better option?

Yes.Turbo = tame and sedate until boost hits.

More info on gearbox and transfer case for my own interest? What are they out of, how strong are they, are you anticipating an easy fit?
    Have joked about this kinda thing for my ML Triton but gearbox/transfer case seemed to be the major hickup in any plan of actually pulling it off.

ls3 or ls7. or lsa?

Sell the LS1 and buy a LSA. Only way to go. Big H
    p and bulk low down torque and not too hard on the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ DUDE View Post
    Yes.Turbo = tame and sedate until boost hits.

More info on gearbox and transfer case for my own interest? What are they out of, how strong are they, are you anticipating an easy fit?
    Have joked about this kinda thing for my ML Triton but gearbox/transfer case seemed to be the major hickup in any plan of actually pulling it off.
    Box is the easy bit. The 4L80e is like an electronic version of the old Turbo 400 with an overdrive. Dime a dozen in the states but rare as rocking horse shit here.
    Built with upgraded internals and mild shift kit can handle 600+hp with ease.
    Not sure on the drop side of the triton, but there are several transfer options over there. I'm going the NP241 in cable shift type because cable is simple to manage in a conversion. They are known to be reliable, they are cheap to buy and build and they bolt directly to the back of the 4L80e.
    Again with a lot of American gear the aftermarket support is great too. Slip yolk eliminator kits in several options and a universal type shifter linkage for cable operation is affordable and off the shelf stuff.

Never heard of anyone doing the tritons but cant be too hard!

Quote Originally Posted by ProVK View Post
    Sell the LS1 and buy a LSA. Only way to go. Big H
    p and bulk low down torque and not too hard on the pocket.
    Looked very hard at the LSAs - Can buy complete motor with blower for cost of aftermarket blower. Turns out they are harder to tune and make run in a conversion and I got warned stay far far away. The ECU they come with wont run a 4L80e so I would need stand alone for both computers(motor and box)
    Cant run from old computer because the blower is interfaced someone with sensors to be run by ECU and the ECU is different to all other LS type ECU's.

Also been advised the configuration of the accessories can be a stumbling block due to the location of the blower pulley. I don't know to much about this hurdle but I didn't need extra dramas. By sticking to something basic, I can have everything off the shelf or wreckers as far as engine accessories and brackets go.

I could have been misguided, but by sticking to simple LS stuff I can resolve most of my own issues without hired help which wont be friendly on the pocket.

Wtf, mate has one in a vk, they converted to cable operated tb and used the old ls1 ecu. See no reason why cant it be done like ir even with newer e38 pcm and fbw.

Would go to t400 and forgo the overdrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

dunno how strong the nav transfer case is but this may save a load of work http://www.marks4wd.com/transfer-cas...hfinder-1.html

Mate not long finished a vz 6l and auto to 2012 Pajero conversion, He used the paj transfer and got an adapter kit from the US, its holding up well towing car trailers, bobcats and horse floats
    List of cars goes here

one more vote for LSA engine and T400.

i reckon for something that'll be working (towing etc.) a bit lower diff gears and an overdrive would be the go. is it a big deal to regear a d40? steal skyline/silvia bits or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Thought about 6l80e?

Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Crazy cheap and plenty of grunt.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Any concerns over killing the front diff?

Quote Originally Posted by BRK50 View Post
    Built with upgraded internals and mild shift kit can handle 600+hp with ease.
    Shift kit alone will allegedly hold 800hp. Seen a couple in the states, straight out of a wrecker, ad transgo HD2, and run in the 9's. No long term reports on them but I wouldnt go spending anything on upgraded internals. That said, not sure how a heavy 4wd towing stuff would hurt the equation.

Edit - jesus fuck those LSAs are cheap now, how much on top for a loom and computer to run the show?
    Last edited by Ben.; 10-12-14 at 03:29 PM.

Have been flat with work and a change of plan has unfolded, as always.

I brought a LS3 from a wreck after. Deciding building a stroker on an old motor was a drama. I have a TR6060 VE 6 speedto offload and I'm torn between the 4l80e and 6L80e.

I need a loom custom made and I'm working out the path of least resistance. I'm thinking 6L80E with custom loom, to suit, and matching ECU an throttle pedal from the car I get the 6l80e from.

Please fire away, I'm unclear at this stage to the smoothest path to make everything communicate?

Keep manual
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Quote Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
    Keep manual
    I would love to. Fairly major engineering to make it happen manual with a transfer case though.
    It's hard to get a definitive answer whether a corvette tail housing from a t56 will fit. If it does I can have a adapter an spline coupler made for happy clutch dropping fun.

Did this end up happening?

X2