Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nurburgring track days - advice needed

Nurburgring track days - advice needed

Hi, I will be able to do the nurburgring in late July, early august. Just need tips on the best packages, and how to guide. Do they run open track days often? Any links or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    This thread Nurburgring... Sports car hire?.. Anyone done it?

The open days "Touristenfahrten" are listed on their website http://www.nuerburgring.de/

Best to go mid-week if you can, weekends are over-crowded and less fun IMHO
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

I used these guys, rented a 'stage 2' swift, and to be honest... that was plenty for me to have fun without any hairy moments (although it was raining, so that kept things slow enough to begin with)

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/

Good mob, had right hand drive cars too.

theres different ways to get onto the ring

one is the so called "touristenfahrten" - tourist drives
    this is what 95% of people do

that runs generally from 4 or 5pm till 7pm weekdays. during the day theres usually some factory testing going on, or manufactuerer drive days etc. number of people who then drive the touristenfahrten in the evenings are then pretty small, and you get a quiet track.

on weekends, unless theres an event on, the touristenfahrten is open from 9 till 4 or so. this is when the epic numbers turn up, you get all the cool cars, and rich russions etc

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives...dschleife.html

cost was (dunno what it is under new ownership) about EUR20-25 per lap

actual track days are few and far between. youll need to google whicg clubs are running what when. usually a couple of hundred EUR for a day, and includes use of the GP circuit

regarding cars, shop around. it depends what you want to drive. everyone has an opinion as to which car is best for first timers. i reckon any of the NA rwd beamers are a good bet. otehrs say the fwd swifts etc are just as fun and quick. *shrugs* horses for courses.

for a semi decent car, including insurance and fuel and lap ticket, count on EUR100 per lap

the drive is a complete sensory overload. dont expect to do lap after lap non stop. in an afternoon session of 2-3 hours, be happy with 4-6 laps max.
    Last edited by doctor ed; 07-01-15 at 08:08 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar

Nurburgring track days - advice needed

I also went with Rent4Ring (BRZ). A+

Dale offered me a track day package, as below:
    "Open pit lane, unlimited lapping for 519 per entry sticker. We could do you a basic rental of the BRZ for 649, or a Swift for 399. It's a lot more money, but it's a lot more time on track too. Just a thought!" So that's entry sticker + car cost = about 1k

First time I went a few years back was with RSR - they were great and Ron is a legend. Smashing beers with him afterwards getting a first hand account of what the Ferrari FXX is like around the Ring while a Zonda R sets a lap record 150m behind you is kinda memorable.

Touristenfahrten is the obvious answer, but I would recommend the track day with some instruction. You'll get much more out of it - a weekday TF is incredible but it's all over too quickly. Email dale from rent4ring and ask him dates.
    Last edited by tremolo; 07-01-15 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by break View Post
    I used these guys, rented a 'stage 2' swift, and to be honest... that was plenty for me to have fun without any hairy moments (although it was raining, so that kept things slow enough to begin with)

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/

Good mob, had right hand drive cars too.
    Did exactly this, excellent half day, track was wet on ne half.
    Watch Eis Corners, you will come into that way to quick first time.

For somewhere very nce to stay, shoot down to Cochem, on the Moselle.
    if you get this far after reading the above, good on you!
    If i make spelling mistakes, syntax errors, or just mss letters in words, it is because i am lw vision/vision impaired.
    Dont drive or race no more. Bit of a cunt of a thing.
    I cant see what keys my fingers hit when i type.
    Its called Cone and Rod Dystrophy, un fixable, i get worse, its a hereditary cunt f a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    So that's entry sticker + car cost = about €1k.
    easy to blow 1k on touristenfahrten laps - car dependant youre looking at 100 per lap, so 10 laps. 10 laps you can do over 2 afternoon sessions, so a track day is a pretty good financial option. problem is, theres not heaps on offer - ring around/search the web for clubs, see what might be planned during your time window.

even if there was a track day, id probably still recommend doing an afternoon session the day before (in whatever car) - knock over a few orientation laps. your head will be full afterwards, and a break before starting the track day will allow you to process the track in your head a bit, and youll get more out of the track day.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Thanks for that, will look into it.
    I found this site http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events...nts-dates.html

They have a driver training day for €995 on the 27th, and there is an old timer race on the 6th I think that looks like it would be worth watching.
    Would prefer a RWD car if I can afford it. Handy to know that the track is open most afternoons. Might stay there a few days, send nopics off for girly stuff. Just cut laps till I run out of money. Not like I go very often...

not a lot of girly stuff to do - its really the middle of nowhere

a few cute towns and old castles in the neighbouring regions, but theyre worth seeing yourself too
    Mit freundlichen Gre

She can stay in another country even. I am sure she won't be missed while I am there.

Do the track day as Trem and others have said. Ring / email the car hire joints, they will tell you when track days are on. I'd start with a scirroco, they are a good jigger for learning the track if you are half handy and will be going quick enough everywhere to keep you interested. (Except maybe the climb to the karrousel)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Pollitically incorrect
    my wife was happy to dag about on the days we did it.

I used www.retracecar.de.

I highly recomend them, and the sighting lap you get with the company owner is possibly the fastest lap you'll do. (as well as being invaluable in terms of advise on lines etc)
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Things to do near Nurburgring

http://burg-eltz.de/en.html
    Cochem
    Trier

The road from Nurburgring to Cochem via Landkern is awesome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cochem.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	80626  

is the track closed in the winter months? im going to germany over christmas this year

nope, but if its icy theyll shut it without notice. long way to go to to get there on the day(s) only to find they close it 2hrs before its due to open
    Mit freundlichen Gre

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Matt- View Post
    Things to do near Nurburgring

http://burg-eltz.de/en.html
    Cochem
    Trier

The road from Nurburgring to Cochem via Landkern is awesome
    I sat at one of the wineries about 100m from where this picture was taken and drank 3 bottles of the local Riesling one night, could barely walk home! Their wine game is tight, and it made Cochem vaguely interesting (as pretty as it is, it's fucking boring unless you're drunk).

There is heaps for the missus to do in the area - mine loved it. MTB, horse riding, castles, excellent wine, all sorts of shit.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    best experience ever, i think about it every day.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

mine watches cars and takes photos
    a lot of the castles/wine/etc i would want (and have done) with her - doing that solo would be kinda sad
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    I hired this in June from RSR. Had an instructor for the first lap to help me not to crash.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ring.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	80628

Oh - the insurance excess was $30,000. Some Japs in a Sirroco found out the day before

I think I did 8 laps. It was a Saturday from memory so quite busy. The track was closed about 4-5 times due to crashes too. I think you should be realistic about how many laps you will do. I don't think you'd do more than about 10-15 in a full day max.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

you can buy excess minimisation to limit the butt hurt

what did we manage rob? 9 or 10 in an afternoon session?

Last edited by doctor ed; 08-01-15 at 08:37 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

do 12 laps in a shit rental car

get a feel for it

then hire the swift for 12 laps

get more of a feel for it

then get a lotus or m3 or some shit for 12 laps

5k euro for 3 awesome days till you punt it into a wall and then your up for 20k euros

tracks not that scary( in a slow car) but some of the drivers on it are farken out of control
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

my only other tip is to try and get there for a afternoon session following a 6 hour race

they open the full track for a hour or two normally
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

is buying a cheap car an option for reducing the butthurt rather than renting?

also RE ice, i assume you can call first and check whether the place is open? my missus' family is from tubingen, so 4hrs away. if im doing the evening touristenfarhten thing then i should be able to call in the morning before leaving..

Quote Originally Posted by nurburgring website
    You can find out the opening times by telephone on +49 (0) 2691 302-630 updated daily.
    can change at any moment as the weather in the mtns is a bit shit, so you can only plan to a certai extent.

you can also check out one of the webcams online that point at the gates and LCD info display screen. that will have up to date track stutus
    Mit freundlichen Gre

cool well im there for a few weeks so as long as it isnt blanketed in snow i might get a chance at having a run

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    you can buy excess minimisation to limit the butt hurt

what did we manage rob? 9 or 10 in an afternoon session?

last day last session we did 10, 5 each, if i didnt piss fart about at the start of the session due to nerves you would have got one more in, i was doing 10's and you were doing mid 8 minute laps.

director of the company was suprised at the amount of laps we fit into the session said 11 was their record in the bmw by pro driver... prolly pissing in our pockets.

i do not go a single day without thinking about it. big tick off the bucket list.
    Last edited by schnitzelburger; 08-01-15 at 09:29 AM.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

I did my via the Black Falcon Team but had James Moffat from RSR as my instructor. He is a pommie guy who is married to the family that own the pub next to the BMW centre

I have his details I'll PM you

Dont forget to drive through the industrial area @ Meusapath next to the track
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Also used RSR but I opted for a Clio Sport. Excess on anything else was potentially life ruining.

We were there during the week and the 1 hour afternoon session only allows for a few laps really. Frequent closures to let tow trucks through etc. I put 6 laps on my ring card and had to go back the next morning to finish them off (they run a morning session too).

One thing to remember is that on top of your vehicle rental, you may have to purchase lap credits. The entry to the track is gated and each lap requires your ring card to be scanned. From memory it was 20-30 euro per lap.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    Thanks for that, will look into it.
    I found this site http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events...nts-dates.html

They have a driver training day for €995 on the 27th, and there is an old timer race on the 6th I think that looks like it would be worth watching.
    You are certainly going at the right time. The Old Timer GP, although not as well known as Goodwood Revival or Monterey Historics is one of the biggest historic meetings on the calendar. Both times I've been to the ring I have gone during that weekend and done plenty of Touristenfahrten laps on the Weds or Thurs before.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by smithbro View Post
    Also used RSR but I opted for a Clio Sport. Excess on anything else was potentially life ruining.

We were there during the week and the 1 hour afternoon session only allows for a few laps really. Frequent closures to let tow trucks through etc. I put 6 laps on my ring card and had to go back the next morning to finish them off (they run a morning session too).

One thing to remember is that on top of your vehicle rental, you may have to purchase lap credits. The entry to the track is gated and each lap requires your ring card to be scanned. From memory it was 20-30 euro per lap.
    Its technically a Toll Road so yes you have to pay to go on it.