Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Nurburgring track days - advice needed

Pollitically incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    Nailed... Nothing can prepare you for the elevation changes at that place.

Another thing to be mindful of, is the traffic you'll have to overtake. All the bikes will scream till they get to the corners and you'll need to clear them safely. Plus, you "can" get the odd bus and just generally slow family cars.

Also, becareful on ANY corner you see spectators on, they stand around on the corners where the accidents will happen.

Remember, it's still considered a public road, so police (who have a station on track) will investigate/take photos/do cop stuff for anything serious (ie. bikers dying).
    Ditto on the bikes, no brakes and no corner speed.

Ditto on the bus thing

Ditto on on the spectators. It is also worth noting there is only like 6 gravel traps, they are there because that is where every one goes off

Quote Originally Posted by papahet View Post
    The marshals and recovery crews don't fuck around either. If you break the rules (overtaking on the wrong side, not respecting slow zones when they are working etc) they will radio you in.

Something else to consider with really pushing on a tourist day is that there is no real limit to what goes out on track, no checks on the quality of what goes out and no promise of the other people out there actually being any good or being observant, it is just like driving on the road in that respect. Keeping this in mind there are a lot of very blind corners and crests, you just do not know what is coming up at you; slow vehicles, crashes, breakdowns, fluid spills etc which is all part of the challenge...don't get yourself in a panicky flap about going out there and certainly go out and enjoy the freedom but you do need to respect it for what it is and is not...it is not a tightly controlled track day or motorsport event.
    A volvo doing this s why we dinged it on the mini carousel.

I still swear at em every time I see one.

It IS a very over whelming experience, you cant prepare for it, but expect it.

ps the car park is fucking epic.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Pollitically incorrect
    and fuck doing it on road tyres and road brakes. The rent-racecar cars were all fully caged and race prepped.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burn4005 View Post
    Was running mid 8 min btg laps in both
    Quick!

Think I was doing 10 mins in the BRZ

Just had a look at the rsr website, holy shitballs they have 5 times the number of different cars compared to 3 years ago! Some appear to have track pads and tyres fitted now. New v6 Exige or cayman would be epic... McLaren mp4 is a bit pricey, 400 euros a lap!
    Last edited by burn is weird; 08-01-15 at 07:19 PM.

Oo___oO

Last time I was there (2013) I used need4ring.de
    Frankie is a legend and I picked up a 350Z for roughly 100 euro per lap. Which was much cheaper than the other places.
    Was so good I went back the next day and did it again.

Weekday is the best and for a first timer as other have said, the actual car you get is irrelevant because its so much for you to process on the first visit you dont need to be driving a GT3 to have THE BEST day!

Reminds me I must go back this year!
    Im not only sure Im HIV positive.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by nastysven View Post
    and fuck doing it on road tyres and road brakes. The rent-racecar cars were all fully caged and race prepped.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

So many mid 8minute laps here...

Firstly : bullshit *cough*
    Secondly: bullshit

Even on a track day with no traffic and perfect conditions, unless you are a professional driver or have > 1000 laps around there you will NOT get either an r26r, exige or BMW 3.0litre within 1 minute of there fastest lap times on the ring. Please, this isn't my little pony's forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Actually, I'll take that back...

... You do realise that all the punters doing track days quote BTG time, which is about 20sec quicker than a full nordschleife lap? Perhaps that'll put an 8.xx in perspective.

Cracking into the 7s on a normal touristenfahrten however...
    Last edited by doctor ed; 09-01-15 at 11:59 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

I'm a little skeptical of the mid 8's too. Admittedly the fastest car I've timed there was an E36 325i at 9.25 BTG. I was not fucking about either.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Meh
    FWIW I did about a 9:00 in the Corolla.
    That's based on the ~11 minute lap of the 'Ring and GP circuit together. I figured the GP track is about two minutes or so.

Yes^

I'd call anything under 10minutes, in a rental, btg, during touristenfahrt a very very good driver. Mid 8's is at the absolute envelope of what those cars are capable of, add in touristenfahrt madness and I'd expect a mid 10min lap to feel like a mid 8 to Joe avg.

The ring taxi is a good comparison, and iirc they run around on about a 9min laptime, and are only overtaken by guys like Ron out in his McLaren.

I'm just really trying to support the no time watch comment above by pointing this out. At the end of the day none of us are Walter rohrl and bragging rights really should only be accompanied by evidence or you are putting others at risk by claiming something that is not realistic and trying it could/will get you killed. /ranty tanty
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

A no word of a lie my PB is 8:37 in our Z4 non M
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

I did 2 pax laps with a guy who races in the 24H ect in his caged GT3RS and we were doing mid 8's. I learned things about lines in particular that I would never have learned myself in 1000 laps.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

If it's not on NatSoft, it doesn't count....
    Panzer Wagen

M-Cars follow the idea that power should be felt & not seen

I plan on taking it fairly easy (85% max given the advice on traffic etc, till I get a few laps and confidence under my belt) My biggest thing at the moment is getting on the track, I will leave the speed to take care of itself. I do however find it hard not to push straight of the bat. Hopefully some of the advice will still be ringing in my ears as I head out for the first time.
    Not going there to prove anything, just want to feel that I drove well and had fun when I leave.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

I drove the R26.R (originally booked the clio sport but upgraded on the day) for 4 laps with rsrnurburg, they were great to deal with. Stayed in Mayen which was 25-30min drive away for peanuts.

I have some gopro footage of 2 GT3's going past like I was standing still.
    Last edited by alexGT; 09-01-15 at 01:08 PM.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Fuck lap times. Its internet wankery.

The best part of it for me was finding someone with similarish pace and having a close-ish (within a safe margin of error) dice with them.

After you see your first guy standing next to his wrecked BMW, etc on the track, then you quickly get a wake up call how easily it can all get very expensive and ruin your day.

That said, if I had a shitter MX5 or some other cheap-ish track car, then I would have a very different opinion. If the worst case happens and you write it off, then its not that big a deal. That would be a lot more fun for me than racing round in a GT3 that I couldn't afford to bend.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

I would love to rent a shitter MX5 with a small excess. Wonder why they don't do them?
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

I don't have enough money to risk paying the excess on a car if I was chasing lap times :P I just want to have the experience of being there.

Not that I am going to crawl around at snails pace though..

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post

The best part of it for me was finding someone with similarish pace and having a close-ish (within a safe margin of error) dice with them.

After you see your first guy standing next to his wrecked BMW, etc on the track, then you quickly get a wake up call how easily it can all get very expensive and ruin your day.

That said, if I had a shitter MX5 or some other cheap-ish track car, then I would have a very different opinion. If the worst case happens and you write it off, then its not that big a deal. That would be a lot more fun for me than racing round in a GT3 that I couldn't afford to bend.
    I went in 2007 and echo this statement.

The mid-week days are the best as others have said. The best part for me was seeing an ex Zakspeed Racing Viper being wheeled off a trailer and having number plates from the tow car screwed on just so that he could go through the gates.
    Social media marketing for the automotive industry (plus a motorsport blog) - www.boxthislap.com.au

The driver trainer point out the big dots on the turn in points, this helped me a hell of alot

100%

I followed a GTD Golf around for a lap had a great time. We had a chat when we got back to the car park he said it was awesome with me behind him as he only needed to focus on me behind him as I was watching for all the quick guys.

Also get used to being passed at huge speeds by Porsches/Ferarris/Audis and some rather unassuming looking BMWs.

Quote Originally Posted by XAC15T View Post
    The mid-week days are the best as others have said. The best part for me was seeing an ex Zakspeed Racing Viper being wheeled off a trailer and having number plates from the tow car screwed on just so that he could go through the gates.
    Best part for me was driving past the BMW Truck in town and them unloading camouflaged cars.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    I would love to rent a shitter MX5 with a small excess. Wonder why they don't do them?
    Perhaps this could be the next PF driftland idea?

1. Buy cheap Mx5s
    2. employ Cal and other MX5 IPRA/Prodsports pilots to prep them
    3. rent warehouse near Ring
    4?????
    5. Proft?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Also look out for the high fashion as well

Photo taken @ http://www.doettinger-hoehe.de/Dottinger_Hohe/Home.html

Dont forget to checkout the model shop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hair.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	80650  

After you have been there have a hunt on google for touristfahrten photos, there are always photographers around that take great shots.

Pollitically incorrect
    The time I saw the zakspeed viper it was the roughest looking thing ever.

Was parked at rent race car.

Dr Hoon

Perhaps this could be the next PF driftland idea?

1. Buy cheap Mx5s
    2. employ Cal and other MX5 IPRA/Prodsports pilots to prep them
    3. rent warehouse near Ring
    4?????
    5. Proft?
    In

Only thing to be aware of is there are costs beyond the cost of wrecking your own car when you have a shit mixer at a tourist day at the ring. So even if its a $500 shitter you can write out some big cheques.... Also saw the ring police looking for a car that puked fluid onto the track and caused some major crashes. Became obvious as I was following the offending black golf that seemed to maybe shit a brake line and puke fluid everywhere, and a mate was close behind me in a black megane. They crawled all over his car at the end of the lap looking for leaks.... Needless to say some bikes had nasty crashes on the spill. Love my bikes but fuck riding bikes at the ring.

Here is a quick run down google spat out of costs....

"...........Cost of crashing on the Nurburgring

These include Armco repairs, safety car attendance, vehicle recovery, track closure, hospital stays and helicopter fees. I recommend avoiding these. If you can't, then the following price-list may help:

Base fee for attendance of armco truck: 150
    Removing damaged armco: 10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)
    Replacement armco: 31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)
    Removing damaged armco posts: 5.10 each
    Replacing armco post: 39 each
    Safety car attendance: 82 per 30 mins (car + 2 people)
    Circuit closure: 1,350 per hour
    Recovery truck: 250 (inc VAT)
    Hospital stay & air ambulance: Let's just say, do NOT go there without travel insurance! (Though a European Health Card - which replaced the E111 - may cover the hospital bit.)
    Everything except the recovery truck is then subject to 19% VAT.

The record armco bill I'm aware of is 15,000. That was a car that managed to flatten a very impressive length of armco between the Quiddlebacher Hohe bridge and the crest on the approach to Flugplatz. But even a minor bump can turn into a surprisingly expensive day out......"
    Last edited by darkside; 09-01-15 at 03:14 PM.

Pollitically incorrect
    .. if you stop.

Dr Hoon