Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nurburgring track days - advice needed

Fuck all of your 8min lap times.

I managed 11:28 in a Swift in the pouring rain.... fuck driving any faster than that

Also, was rather depressing when i felt I was getting into the groove... only to be overtaken by some older German local in a basic BMW 320i looking like he was out for a Sunday drive :P
    Last edited by break; 09-01-15 at 05:53 PM.

What's wrong with you lot? Not a competitive bone amongst some of you?! Fuck me! Lol. Driving miss daisy. Even if a lap time is only good for comparing your own consistency and progress, you're only there to beat yourself ( or maybe the 911 in front if you)

As if you drive actively thinking there's a stopwatch running. Distraction much? drive to the speed You feel comfortable with, and push yourself and the car to a limit that You deem safe. As if you've got time to consider mid lap how your splits are looking ffs! Haha!

But... Once done and back, it's great seeing if you're quicker/slower, where, why etc.

Why the hate/disbelief?? It's kinda funny in an odd way... On a car forum ffs??!

Lol I'm with the Doctor, its not that incredible

Nürburgring Nordschleife R26R - 7.52.67 BTG: http://youtu.be/IqpsDpkJQGA

Fred R26R Nurburgring Nordschleife 8.32 BTG: http://youtu.be/SiHtnT3zt8g

What's so hard to believe about a mid 8? I didn't got all the way to the nurburgring to sightsee. What's the first thing people ask when they hear you went there? How was the gift shop?

I suppose when you go on a gokarting bucks party you just cruise around taking in the ambience?

Will dig out my gopro vid when I get back from work next month. This internet stuff is serious business..

Is this performance forums or racetrack scenery enthusiasts club?
    Last edited by burn is weird; 09-01-15 at 07:21 PM.

Oo___oO

I had a golf gti in 2007 from rent race car. I timed my laps purely for interests sake so I knew what a.certain lap time felt like. Started in the 9.50s and finished in the 9.20s.

Quote Originally Posted by burn4005 View Post
    Lol I'm with the Doctor, its not that incredible

Nürburgring Nordschleife R26R - 7.52.67 BTG: http://youtu.be/IqpsDpkJQGA

Fred R26R Nurburgring Nordschleife 8.32 BTG: http://youtu.be/SiHtnT3zt8g

What's so hard to believe about a mid 8? I didn't got all the way to the nurburgring to sightsee. What's the first thing people ask when they hear you went there? How was the gift shop?

I suppose when you go on a gokarting bucks party you just cruise around taking in the ambience?

Will dig out my gopro vid when I get back from work next month. This internet stuff is serious business..

Is this performance forums or racetrack scenery enthusiasts club?
    Mate not every Joe average can rock up to the most challenging track in the world and do those times. The two r26 vids I've seen, absolutely fucking hauling. Do you know them? Do you know how many laps they've done there? If not frankly its irrelevant to an Aussie going for his first time and thinking that's a reasonable benchmark and I say it's not. You said you got caught up and still did mid 8s, you are better than those two videos you posted then, well done.

I just said that's highly unlikely in Touristenfahrt, but I don't know you?

What's so hard to believe about that? Fwiw I'd love to get my times near those. I've been 3 times and done 70+ laps, but I have plenty I would need to get perfect still for those times*. Cheers.

Edit: *in an r26
    Last edited by I'm DJ!; 09-01-15 at 07:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Mate not every Joe average can rock up to the most challenging track in the world and do those times.
    FWIW I did about 150 laps in Rfactor with a very accurate track in a car that was as close as I could get to the real thing.
    Here's one of the better laps - I didn't crash.

Maybe we should have a ring sticky with times / bids, then the times n stuff can hang in one spot, would be interesting no doubt as it sounds like a bunch have been, laid times and got vids. /ot
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

DJ, I never said what times people should do. You called us out as bullshitters. I didn't aim for a time, I drove to my abilities and my brother timed in the passenger seat. timing for me was so I knew I was improving from lap to lap. If it was 10 minutes or 11 it doesn't matter, but if you exceed your own limits trying to imitate others you're going to have a bad time. I could have seen old mate do 7.52 on YouTube and tried to do that, I would have been in the wall 100%. Someone is always faster than you.

Haha Bill 3 months before I went I bought a PlayStation 3 and gran turismo 5 and played until I could visualize the entire track.

I saw this and thought gt5 was the go

http://community.eu.playstation.com/.../td-p/12013300

Was invaluable but the undulation of the circuit needs to be experienced for real. If I didn't spend that time learning the track I would have putted around.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 09-01-15 at 08:26 PM.

Oo___oO

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Do we get a handicap for wet laps? What about cold & wet with snow on the grass?

Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Haha that's nuts!

Oo___oO

GT-P
    Bandsenkowagon

just want to be clear too... sure i can do it in the mid 8's, but thats one of my_best_laps. logged plenty in the 9's trying to get a clean run. one of the hardest things on the ring is holding it together for the whole lap. each lap you do will have its glorious moments, but rarely (for me anyway) do they link togethr all at once. im sure if i added up individual best corners/sectors from a selection of laps, i could probably be in the 7's... no where near that good though. 7's is hauling.

thats at least one reason why i like to look at my own lap times... great way to objectively see how things improve by slowly linking bits together.

bill, youre taking 2mins off for the GP circuit. take another 20-30sec off for the BTG section. puts you in the mid 8's... every_single_lap

bit different to 'best-flying-lap' scenario
    Last edited by doctor ed; 10-01-15 at 03:08 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

I will bring a go pro, and stick a digital timer on the dash. That way I can review the video during the night. Go back the next day and hopefully improve. As long as the weather stays good, etc.
    I think I will just get the cheap swift. Can do more laps for the money.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

I was lucky enough to get a full pax lap on the combined circuit using the GP circuit in a VLN 911 try and sus out who is a decent driver in the car park and grab a pax lap

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    bill, youre taking 2mins off for the GP circuit. take another 20-30sec off for the BTG section. puts you in the mid 8's... every_single_lap

bit different to 'best-flying-lap' scenario
    Okay, that's an all right lap time then.
    Stubber was a bit faster though, not surprising.

The times you do are really dependent on how much you value your bank balance (or ability to still have your daily driver for work on Monday as was the case for me) versus bragging rights at the pub. I only got 10 laps done while there and pushed as hard as I dare but I can't do a reasonable lap at any track after only 10 laps so no chance of going close to the cars potential there. As an example my mate who goes every year and was familiar with my car did an 8:59 BTG and I did a 9:19. Based on other track days we did we were always within a second of each other-usually less. I could easily see myself getting it into the 8s but with 10 laps under my belt the 9min lap was plenty exiting.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    I will bring a go pro, and stick a digital timer on the dash. That way I can review the video during the night. Go back the next day and hopefully improve. As long as the weather stays good, etc.
    iphone lap timer app is good.

if you do a touristenfahrten arvo/day, dont put the camera anywhere it can be seen - itll get you boooted from the track as it encourages dikheds to try and make youtube hits
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Bringing your own in car camera is banned... and if you hire a camera from the car hire mob then they can confiscate your camera/card for evidence if you drive past a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    iphone lap timer app is good.

if you do a touristenfahrten arvo/day, dont put the camera anywhere it can be seen - itll get you boooted from the track as it encourages dikheds to try and make youtube hits
    really? so no video on tourist days or is it just a ploy to scam you into hiring theirs?

cam bolted to the X bar on the cage would be hard to spot

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Except everyone has GoPros on their cars....

It's like jaywalking, yes it's banned, yes you might get pinched for it, but everyone does it and it's not really policed that much

When I went in 2011 we went through the boom gate and just after the cones ended pulled right over and chucked the camera on and hit record. By the end of it we just left it on the roll bar and they didn't care.

Pollitically incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by break View Post
    Fuck all of your 8min lap times.

I managed 11:28 in a Swift in the pouring rain.... fuck driving any faster than that

Also, was rather depressing when i felt I was getting into the groove... only to be overtaken by some older German local in a basic BMW 320i looking like he was out for a Sunday drive :P
    I got passed by a dude in a beetle when we were in the 330 lol.

cunt was fanging it, i saw the back wheel off the ground about 4 times.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

The Swifts are good. Get one with semis, suspension etc and they are brilliant fun and go surprisingly hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Okay, that's an all right lap time then.
    Stubber was a bit faster though, not surprising.

He's down to high 8s now running in the porkers in the 24hr...
    Last edited by St00ge; 10-01-15 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Except everyone has GoPros on their cars....

It's like jaywalking, yes it's banned, yes you might get pinched for it, but everyone does it and it's not really policed that much
    they do look though, and its not worth getting booted for, so just dont stick it to the windscreen/keep it non obvious. or stick it on after you go through the gates.

ive been pulled up twice with a gopro, didnt get booted, but got refused staging till i removed the camera.

i now use my iphone with the lap timer app. it recods video, and overlays the gps/map/split/lap data. i have the iphone on the windscreen, i got pulled up straight away for it too, but i told them it was just GPS, they were fine with it, and let me run it for the rest of the day without any more qustions.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/harr...338257907?mt=8

Mit freundlichen Grüße

btg 8.50 in a opal corsa stage one ( my arse does not fit in the stage 2)

after about 25 laps (that was getting pretty loose and taking some overtaking risks that most would not do)

old mate from rent for ring recons if ya know the track there is a 8:10 in the stage 2 corsa turbo on a flying lap btg
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    When someone tells you you're on the hook for $30k excess plus damage to the track, you see a crash every lap you do, Russians drive like crazy fuckwits in M3s and Porsches, you tell me you're going to drive a lap 10/10ths!

If it was my own $5k Mx5 shitter and I could afford to write if off different story.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Cool another one of these threads so I can report that I am in fact faster than Sabine Schmitt in a transit van around the ring.

That was my goal

I went home a happy man
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

They don't care about cameras anymore FYI.

in 26 laps i just avioded about 20 very large crashes.

3 my fault but the rest were crazys that just cut you of at over 100km/h closing speed

scary as fuck but what a rush

i would be dead if i had my gtr there
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735