Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first bike - Yamaha SRV250 Classic

My first bike - Yamaha SRV250 Classic

After many years of saying I'll do it, I finally bought a bike today.

I did a lot of looking around trying to figure out what it was that I wanted for my first bike, and after going through a lot of models, I finally decided on the SRV250.
    It's a bit of a rare bike in that they were only produced for a few years, and Australians didn't exactly buy them in droves. In the time that I was looking, I saw just 5 for sale, spanning eBay, BikeSales and Gumtree. This was one of them.

There were two versions of the SRV250. One dubbed the "Classic", and the other being the Renaissa. This is the Classic, as noted by the dual gauges, stretched Cafe Racer style tank, and the British Racing Green colour. Other colours available on this one were Maroon/Red and Navy Blue.

I picked it up today with just over 59,500km. Pretty reasonable for a bike that was built in 1995.
    The paint is in good condition but has a few stone chips on the tank, and the frame and tool kit housing has some boot rub going on. Both of these are on the to do list to get sorted out.

The bike has been very well maintained, and along with the usual servicing, has also had new front brakes done, new tyres, new pillion pegs, and a re-foamed and re-covered seat all within the last 12 months.
    Whoever has done the work on the seat has done a great job, and even topped it off with a new badge on the rear.

Cosmetically, it has a few things needed in addition to the boot rub on the frame.
    Being a 20 year old bike, the engine needs some cosmetic attention as the clear is coming off the casing on either side of the motor.
    Also, the tank has the previously mentioned stone chips, along with a small dent on the top of the tank which hasn't broken the paint. Should be easily PDR-able.

Additionally, I'd like to respoke the wheels at some point due to rust and grime, but this is a non-urgent matter which will take a low priority.
    The plans so far are that I'll be doing sprockets and exhaust, which is said to free up quite a bit of trapped power from the little 250. This motor already has a little more power than the same one used in the XV250 Virago due to a different cam though.

The mods have already started though, with my first purchase being a set of these mirrors to de-clutter the bars a little bit.

Quite happy with this purchase, and looking forward to riding her for a long while to come.
    Would be interested to know, does anyone else have one of these, or even have any experience with them to be able to recommend worthwhile mods?

2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Malakia Industries
    Cool, never seen one before. I miss tinkering with my old Honda Spada, was such a good bike for an oldie. Have fun.

good looking bike . seen a few about melbourne

Very neat, lot of potential.

plus you can join the throttle dolls

https://www.facebook.com/thethrottledolls

There used to be tons around Melbourne but I suspect the learner crowd destroyed most of them. They're pretty thin on the ground now. Apparently you can stuff larger virago motors in them.

You 'gon take that deeuck fat910's Avatar
    Before you fit those mirrors I'd suggest locktiteing all the bolts. Mine managed to wiggle loose twice and smash on the road. Are you still on your P's?

Quote Originally Posted by fat910 View Post
    Before you fit those mirrors I'd suggest locktiteing all the bolts. Mine managed to wiggle loose twice and smash on the road. Are you still on your P's?
    Not even on Ls yet. That's booked for next week.

I'll loctite them in but not concerned if they do break free - they were $15

Quote Originally Posted by brasher View Post
    plus you can join the throttle dolls

https://www.facebook.com/thethrottledolls
    They're fucking idiots

Malakia Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    Not even on Ls yet. That's booked for next week.

I'll loctite them in but not concerned if they do break free - they were $15
    I lost 2 bar end mirrors, I found that squirting some silicone/gasket goo in the end of the handlebar stopped them coming loose for the most part. Keep some allen keys in the tool kit because they will come loose mid ride and it sucks when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Terribleone View Post
    I lost 2 bar end mirrors, I found that squirting some silicone/gasket goo in the end of the handlebar stopped them coming loose for the most part. Keep some allen keys in the tool kit because they will come loose mid ride and it sucks when it happens.
    Will do. Thanks for the tip

A new bike! Very nice, cool styling.

I did a similar thing last year, bought a 1983 Kwaka 550GT. It was LAMS approved & I finally got my bike license - should have done it back in the 80s!
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Already cracked the shits with the stand kill-switch. I hate the idea of not being able to let it run to warm up while putting my gear on, but I also hate the idea of the spring shitting itself and the stand falling down.

Solution? 1x handle-bar mounted on/off switch from eBay. Flick it to off when I want the switch to not kill the ignition so I can warm it up on the stand, flick it to on when I set off.

Also ordered a pair of new key blanks from Yamaha. Luckily there's 2 that just landed in the country so will have them by the end of the week.
    I get a bit OCD with keys - I hate non-genuine ones, so the Silica one I have now will go in the bin.

Picked up a disc lock as well, along with a Yamaha emblem keyring to hopefully make it a little harder to lose the single key.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

My first ride bike looked just like this. I had a two into one exhaust and clip ons. Heaps of fun and seriously gutless. Same engine as the Verago but a much better bike.

Nice bike, exciting times ahead

Ride safe!

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    I'm not mad on classic bikes or cafe racers yet I do like this. Tank is cool and it really works in that colour.
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    Already cracked the shits with the stand kill-switch. I hate the idea of not being able to let it run to warm up while putting my gear on, but I also hate the idea of the spring shitting itself and the stand falling down.

Solution? 1x handle-bar mounted on/off switch from eBay. Flick it to off when I want the switch to not kill the ignition so I can warm it up on the stand, flick it to on when I set off.

Also ordered a pair of new key blanks from Yamaha. Luckily there's 2 that just landed in the country so will have them by the end of the week.
    I get a bit OCD with keys - I hate non-genuine ones, so the Silica one I have now will go in the bin.

Picked up a disc lock as well, along with a Yamaha emblem keyring to hopefully make it a little harder to lose the single key.

Most side stand kill switches only operate when the bike is in gear. You should be able to start the bike in neutral with the stand down. If you then drop it into gear it should stall with the stand down. Is your neutral light working?
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorz de Puniet View Post
    Most side stand kill switches only operate when the bike is in gear. You should be able to start the bike in neutral with the stand down. If you then drop it into gear it should stall with the stand down. Is your neutral light working?
    Won't start unless it's in neutral and the stand is up. Neutral light works.

mini twin, I've never even seen one before. nice

First ride today.
    Went out to Pitt Town thru to Dural via Pitt Town Rd and Old Northern Rd.
    Was a great ride. The tiny tyres are a little scary at times in the wet though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150223_133049.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	81908  

Your Boyfriend's Gixxer I take it?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

My mate borrowed it from one of his chick friends while his V Rod and R1 are off the road. Thing has over 100,000km on it and pink number plates.

Came home this afternoon to some presents from Mr Postman on my door step:
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Been a bit since I updated this.

Few weeks ago I made up some straight pipes for this to get a bit of a note out of the v-twin. They were fun for about 5 mins until I got the shits with them being so deafening at any reasonable speed.

The other day I bought some new grips and a flat bar for this too, fitted them up yesterday. Haven't got any good pics of it yet, but here's a couple of quick snaps from the garage.

You can see the straight pipes in the last shot there.

I'm thinking the next thing I do will be some smaller indicators and will look at a slightly more modern tail light.
    Last edited by Cock Fist; 23-04-15 at 09:20 PM.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Nice!

I like the look of the Posh Indicators. You can pick them up pretty cheap second hand on yahoo auctions. You usually need to make brackets for them though. Tail lights are cheap on ebay these days too.

My BM should be on the road this weekend, so will PM you about a ride some time. What part of Sydney are you in? I'm in Nth Syd.
    Last edited by itsnotagsr; 27-04-15 at 09:25 AM.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Nice!

I like the look of the Posh Indicators. You can pick them up pretty cheap second hand on yahoo auctions. You usually need to make brackets for them though. Tail lights are cheap on ebay these days too.

My BM should be on the road this weekend, so will PM you about a ride some time. What part of Sydney are you in? I'm in Nth Syd.
    Thanks! I'll check out the Posh ones. I did buy a set of small LED ones from China on eBay the other day though. Was like $20 for the set of 4, posted.
    The tail light is my next thing to tackle. I'm just not sure about mounting it though because of how the stock one sits, plus the inbuilt plate light as well. Might be something I'll have to build a custom bracket for too?

I'm at Seven Hills. Definitely keen for a ride some time.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Thanks! I'll check out the Posh ones. I did buy a set of small LED ones from China on eBay the other day though. Was like $20 for the set of 4, posted.
    The tail light is my next thing to tackle. I'm just not sure about mounting it though because of how the stock one sits, plus the inbuilt plate light as well. Might be something I'll have to build a custom bracket for too?

I'm at Seven Hills. Definitely keen for a ride some time.
    On my old SR400, I was able to cut the engine side of the rear fender and move the whole thing up (ie slide it back towards the engine), therefore making it shorter. You then drill holes in the fender to mount the new tail light.

Just make sure you keep the original wiring and solder the new light connections (usually only three wires) on. When looking for a tail light (there is heaps on ebay) - make sure you have one with an inbuilt number plate light. I also found the ones that have the number plate holder easier, as it saves you trying to mount the plate later. A good mounting is key otherwise the plate can rattle.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

(TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    On my old SR400, I was able to cut the engine side of the rear fender and move the whole thing up (ie slide it back towards the engine), therefore making it shorter. You then drill holes in the fender to mount the new tail light.

Just make sure you keep the original wiring and solder the new light connections (usually only three wires) on. When looking for a tail light (there is heaps on ebay) - make sure you have one with an inbuilt number plate light. I also found the ones that have the number plate holder easier, as it saves you trying to mount the plate later. A good mounting is key otherwise the plate can rattle.
    Awesome, thanks! I'll keep it in mind.

Finally got a few good photos of this thing today, finally. Went for a run with a couple of mates down Royal Nasho and back, stopping at Bald Hill on the way.

Last edited by Cock Fist; 28-04-15 at 08:27 PM.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Slept through my alarm this morning and missed the Throttle Roll ride

Made use of the day by fitting some mini LED indicators front and rear that I've had sitting around for a while, and while I had the seat off I decided to remove the tail and fab up a seat pan.

Got that all sorted out, so now to work out how to mount the new tail light and number plate bracket.

1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Finished off the arse end today by mounting the tail light and number plate.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Celebrated by heading to the final night of Throttle Roll.

1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Nice!

(TM - AVENGE)