Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo 8 racecar

Evo 8 racecar

So seeing as I never got around to making a thread up for my last car on here I thought I better do one for the new one so you guys can tell me how to build it properly.

I had a beams powered AE86 which I was using for IPRA and some targa events, but there's only so fast you can go in an old corolla without spending stupid money, so thought i should sell it while it was still worth something and get into something which has a bit more outright potential for both IP and tarmac rally.

I looked around for a while and after looking at several cars including a 'low km hardly used' evo 9 which was actually 3 cars joined together I found this:

One ex performance car championship (GTP) evo 8 with some good bits fitted and only 1500km on the clock.

The car ran in the 2007 championship, came 4th I think and was pretty much parked in a shed since then. I did some hunting around for the history of the car, didn't find much but I did manage to find a video of it running at bathurst which was pretty cool (and explains where some of the dents came from)

So a mate and I drove over to vic and picked it up, complete with the paint from the wall at bathurst still on the front bumper.

The plan is to give it a tidy up, (the old owner wasn't really big on cleaning anything, ever) remove as much weight as possible, build a motor for it and go race in IP for a while, with the potential to do targa stuff down the track if I get bored of circuit racing.

Basic Rundown of the specs are:

Sparco Chromoly Cage
    MCA Canister Suspension
    Ralliart Supertraction Diffs
    Autronic ECU
    Standard RS evo things like Close ratio gearbox, no deadner and windup windows

Motor is still standard as per the GTP regs, so will need some rods and pistons asap to avoid ventilating the block with some boost once the restrictor is put in.

I spent a few weekends cleaning off years of dirt, fitting new brakes and getting everything working on the car so I could get rally rego on it.

Got it cleared last week so now the fun stuff can begin
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:07 PM.

Cortina Looks awesome

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Shame on you for polishing off the genuine Bathurst scuff!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

This looks sensational. Great find! I'm also with this guy though ^, I hope you kept the old bumper??!!
    DJ's don't need sigs

I got it repainted as the spare I got with the car was in worse shape... I'm hoping to run it at the 12hr support race next year so it might pick up a couple more scuffs then haha

nice patina on it! looks like it will be loads of fun

If you go IPRA, look into gearboxes. They go bang bang bang bang bang bang when these things are pushed.

God these things look tops all caged up in white
    Quote Originally Posted by John Howard View Post
    Yes, when I think "chivalry" and "old fashioned values" the image of choppo choke raping an obese drug addict on the side walk at 3 am instantly comes to mind.
    So... the elephant says to the camel "why do you have 2 boobs on your back?" the camel replies "that's a pretty stupid question coming from someone who has a dick on his face"

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    If you go IPRA, look into gearboxes. They go bang bang bang bang bang bang when these things are pushed.

I figure there's a few street cars putting 3/400kw through them and a lot of torque with strokers, so I should be ok with 250kw even with the extra torque from the restrictor

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post

All depends on how you drive them. They do transfers before they do boxes, and that's largely due to driver abuse etc.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Streety certainly has had issued with them trying to pump that much torque so early in the rev range.

SA is dominated by EMTs isn't it? How do you think you'll go against them?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by TT View Post
    Cortina Looks awesome
    Old man's lotus replica... pretty much has everything in it that a real one does bar the chassis id plates

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Streety certainly has had issued with them trying to pump that much torque so early in the rev range.

SA is dominated by EMTs isn't it? How do you think you'll go against them?
    His is also the earlier evo box which isn't as strong.

Should go ok I think, Mallala is very much a stop start track, so the awd grip should be better out of the slower corners provided the car isn't super heavy.
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:09 PM.

Wow! I want!
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Have a search for Anthony (Tony) Warren's Evo 7. That tends to run at the slightly pointier end when it is at the IPRA nationals. It also breaks gearboxes and transfer cases accordingly. I've been standing ~50 foot away from it when it dumped drive train all over the track

IPRA turbo stuff has a totally different torque curve due to the 36mm choke of death. Jump on the IPRA forums and enjoy the reading about the 36mm chock of death Not trying to deter you or anything, just pointing out why a 250kw turbo 4wd car is going to pop bits if pushed in IPRA trim.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Howard View Post
    Yes, when I think "chivalry" and "old fashioned values" the image of choppo choke raping an obese drug addict on the side walk at 3 am instantly comes to mind.
    So... the elephant says to the camel "why do you have 2 boobs on your back?" the camel replies "that's a pretty stupid question coming from someone who has a dick on his face"

I watched steve knight limiter sidestep his Evo race after race for a few year with only one breakage ( when he had his slicks on) gearbox will be fine.
    Should be a top 3 car around the lala

Mallala may fade into history if Tailem Bend turns out as promising as it appears.

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Depends in the entry fees at tailem.

true, but racing on a 7km track would sure beat a 2km track with only 8 corners.Worth more $$$ there for a start.

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Wankeling Rotard
    Nice car Andy. Going to have it out on the 21st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '93 fini FD RX7 | '04 FE RX8 blog.vtxms.com
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Nice car Andy. Going to have it out on the 21st?

Got a fair bit to sort out before it's race ready, aiming to have it done mid year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave75 View Post
    true, but racing on a 7km track would sure beat a 2km track with only 8 corners.Worth more $$$ there for a start.
    I highly doubt any state based race series will run on the full GT track. I even doubt the V8 $upercars will run on the full track.

I hope it doesn't kill mallala. It's a challenging track.

Banned
    Those 5 speed boxes are pretty strong as long as you change the oils a lot which im sure you already know.
    Like very much have fun and win.

late model gearboxes are fine, a cooler is a good idea for long races though

Yep, temperature is the main problem for Evo boxes under 300kw.

Car looks great mate

Got stuck into pulling this apart over the weekend, didn't quite have enough time to get the motor and box out so that will be a job for over easter.

Need to work out where to mount it on the rotisserie as well because there isn't really any decent mounts at the end of the front rails, only 4 small bolts where the bumper supports hang off... Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:10 PM.

Put a sleeve inside the chassis rails and then use the small bolts to secure the sleeve

Picked up the Rotisserie over the weekend and got stuck into things yesterday, was easier to mount up than I thought it would be, and it certainly makes wire wheeling seam sealer off the underside a shitload easier.

Got about half done before I got sick of being covered in crap, will finish it off sometime this week.

Also cut off some brackets with my new spot weld drill... how much easier do they make things!
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:12 PM.

Wankeling Rotard
    Awesome Andy. Is that a hire rotisserie by any chance?

'93 fini FD RX7 | '04 FE RX8 blog.vtxms.com
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Awesome Andy. Is that a hire rotisserie by any chance?

No it's not, I borrowed it off someone, but you can get them locally off ebay for about $600, which is really good value for how well they are made.

Haven't had a lot of time to do much on this lately, but I managed to get most of the way through the seat mounts for the passenger side seat and cut up an old HRT door trim I had laying around to blank up the unused vent holes in the dash. I'll get the whole thing flocked eventually before it goes back in the car for good.

Welded some threaded lugs into steel box section

Seat height is nice and low

Dash with panels glued into place, just needs flocking now
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:16 PM.