Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Evo 8 racecar

Ah yes, South Australia, where the Tonsley Park refugees still drive Valiants and Sigmas.

The lightweight turbo cars are all pretty old (or ancient) now. Nothing wrong with racing "old" cars but unless it's a historic category it will limit your competitors. There's a whole generation of potential competitors out there who have never driven a pre-2000 road car.

And according to you, the current lightweight turbo cars are competitive outright against the big hp v8s. I don't think unrestricted turbos will make big hp v8s redundant, in fact I think they will have their work cut out for them, as they do in sports sedans. BTW, how do you think the lightweight turbos will go against the Mustang?

Quote Originally Posted by Race Spec View Post
    ^^I wouldn't go so far.

Like most, I am pretty impressed at the progress and results Andy has achieved in a short space of time. Granted, I am not privy to IPRA rules, but I reckon with another $20K invested, and more fine turning, it'll give Chris Brown's car a real run for it's money. I'd be thinking Mivec head, EFR turbo and dog box. But, can't help to think that an Evo 6RS, being 100kg lighter, would have been a better platform to begin with.
    Yep everything you have said is true. Throw bulk $ at it just to bring it up to where it would be stock without a restrictor (which i have proven above for the latecomers). So you end up with silly money LMT cars that are slower than a stock engined car. How many guys you think you'll attract to run these LMT cars?

And yeah an evo 6 is lighter so better for IP. IP favours old cars coz it's got a vested interest in making old cars comoeitive against new cars.

So in conclusion why bother building a late model car at all? And we're full circle back to the root of the problem, it's becoming a historic category.

Quote Originally Posted by Datman View Post
    WOW!

Maybe the NSW EVO guys need to stop throwing their toys out of the cot and actually spend some time & money developing their cars. Doesn't Graeme Watts (LMT) have the Lap record at SMP? Time for the EVO boys to get their shit together, particular as they are a much better platform to start with.
    Whats his lap record btw? I just need to know how much slower it is than a stock engined/gearbox car.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    So as I see it, because 2 clowns in NSW couldn't make Evo's work in IPRA, Sonicevo reckons the rules need to be changed.

And because an Evo was in the top 3 at Clipsal, Sonicevo reckons the rest of the S.A. field is slow...

Now, I hear about this bloke Ray Hislop, nice bloke they say, Fast Falcon. So clearly it is possible to build a fast large late model car...and judging by what I understand of Andy's Evo 8 it looks like it will be possible to build a fast late model turbo. From what I understand Chris Brown has been campaigning his Corolla for the best part of a decade (and I believe Ray, the falcon also.) It takes time, money and nouse to develop a front running car, and I suspect we are going to see Andy's Evo at the pointy end sooner rather than later..

All of which points to a distinct lack of credibility on the part of a someone calling for rule changes.

I'd suggest the larger reason for a reluctance of people to join IPRA with late model cars, is because they, by their nature, are heavy. And weight is impossible to truly nullify in a racing car, a lighter car will always perform better than a heavy car. It also increases the running costs of a racecar, tyres, brakes and engine power are all consumed more heavily in a heavier car. So entering the sport in a late model car means greater expense, and nobody ever said racing was cheap to start with.

It's not really rocket science..
    Yeah nah. Run a late model car as long as it is a v8. And they happen to be heavy btw. Go back and do some research. And the two 'clowns' made a good crack of it but just asked the honest question why the fuck am i paying so much money to run something that is ultimately performing nowhere near its potential in a category called 'improved' production.

It's all to hard for me.
    I'm out. Discuss between yourselves.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Quote Originally Posted by fatz View Post
    i should read this seeing as i have a evo now

drove it around the block and want to sell it but will refrain untill i track it maybe it will grow on me
    I hated my evo for about 2 years because after my s15 it just wasnt fun . Only kept it
    because it was 4 - 5 seconds faster a lap than the s15 with the same mods. Still didnt
    like it because the evo does all the work but did put me at the front so I liked that.
    Than after about 2 years I realised that they really are a brillant reliable package and
    $ for $ they smoke everything. Now 10 years later and maybe looking at a focus RS !!!

EVO-GSR NO the best I can remember something like im not sure about there reliability long term and track times.
    I should know a lot more after Bathurst this weekend. Im also a little bored with the evo thing now.
    Last edited by turbosurfer; 11-04-17 at 04:09 PM.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

turbosurfer

Didnt you say the RS was shit? Refer to my signature....
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Looks like zero
    Anyway fuck the RS its a ford so it will just fall apart.
    The laugh is on you clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by evo-gsr View Post
    didnt you say the rs was shit? Refer to my signature....
    lol
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicevo View Post
    Whats his lap record btw? I just need to know how much slower it is than a stock engined/gearbox car.
    Group 3E Aaron Seton Mitsubishi Evo 10 1.42.7273 27/07/2014

Imp Prod Graeme Watts (2/8/15) 1:40.4757

Quote Originally Posted by bp18t View Post
    I've always maintained that a restrictor table based on weight is the answer but every proposal I've seen goes too far.
    The current one gives too much and will be detrimental to the category.
    Ok tony, that covers the LMT's, what about other LM NA cars?

This is a replica of the endless discussion on the IPRA forum about the same. Guess what - the gazillion page thread there didn't find the pareto-optimal outcome either.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Anyways, we've been straying from the topic a little too much. Fact is this is the first season in Andy's new car, a car that is considered a no hoper cause of weight and restrictor among many in IPRA, yet he's already achieved multiple podiums. Pretty fucking cracking effort I reckon.
    Just for a thread bump - this. Andy's car is cracking proof of a heavy well built LMT with some smarts can be competitive. I'm all for making IPRA progress into at least the 2000's but if anyone can find a solution on how to do so whilst keeping everyone happy they could make enough to retire...

Quote Originally Posted by 3sgem View Post
    Group 3E Aaron Seton Mitsubishi Evo 10 1.42.7273 27/07/2014
    Imp Prod Graeme Watts S15 LMT with IPRA spec restrictor (2/8/15) 1:40.4757
    How much slower is Wattsy ? Oh......
    When you go back out there, i want you to hit the pace car....

# 28 NSW APRA N14.

Ok but to be fair the prod touring car is on stock 17 rims/tyre size, stock boost and 98ron. My old car did a 1.40.08 in 2011 WTAC cbf looking it up but its on Natsoft. Thats 24psi boost (i think) and e85 but still unopened engine/gbox. 270kwatw. The wider rubber (265/35/18) and e85 is good for 2sec/lap. Anyway whatever... That is a bloody impressive time by Watts for a restricted car i admit. I think this debate has run it's course on Andy's thread. Looking forward to seeing your next results Andy, good luck this year.

Rofl

Ok but to be fair the prod touring car is on stock 17 rims/tyre size, stock boost and 98ron. My old car did a 1.40.08 in 2011 WTAC cbf looking it up but its on Natsoft. Thats 24psi boost (i think) and e85 but still unopened engine/gbox. 270kwatw. The wider rubber (265/35/18) and e85 is good for 2sec/lap. Anyway whatever... That is a bloody impressive time by Watts for a restricted car i admit. I think this debate has run it's course on Andy's thread. Looking forward to seeing your next results Andy, good luck this year.
    Ipra also run a max rim width, 8 inch rings a bell for Andy's car. So the slow ipra cars are as quick as your unrestricted, unlimited tyre, unlimited aero, evo...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily/Hills: 1992 Honda Civic EG hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Improved Production Racer Datman's Avatar
    9" rims allowed on late model over 3L (eg LMT) cars. Fact is though, a well prepared LMT IPRA car can be quick, but like any other category of motorsport, if you want to be right up the front, you are going to need deep pockets.
    When the flag drops...............the bullshit stops!
    Go Hard..........or Go Home!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) - Nopics
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD
    SR20DET Powered IPRA Datsun Sunny = 400hp @ Wheels - SOLD

9" rims allowed on late model over 3L (eg LMT) cars. Fact is though, a well prepared LMT IPRA car can be quick, but like any other category of motorsport, if you want to be right up the front, you are going to need deep pockets.
    or be smart on how you spend your money, as Andy has done.

Andy is the first to admit that he has limited development in the car so far. He is competitive, which is awesome, but still has a way to go before he is right up the front with the top IPRA cars nationally. As I mentioned before, I'm watching with interest to see how Andy & the car progress. Maybe one day, I'll get mine finished and I'll try to keep up with him.

VW Amarok - Daily
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD

Sorry to change the subject, but I thought I might bring this thread back to something slightly related to my car!

I needed to sort out a new car trailer, I sold the old one as it was a prick to load the evo onto it. The car isn't really any lower than the sprinter I used to put on but the front overhang must be a lot more as it smashed the front lip to bits every time I tried to load it. After looking at what was available from the local trailer builders nothing was really available as a normal build to suit what I was after and everyone wanted to charge a premium to change anything with their existing designs, so I decided to build one myself. At least this way I can get exactly what I want, and in a better spec than if I was paying someone to build it.

Going to stick to a normal bed design, with 4" drop axles and long ramps to make loading a lot easier.
    Myself and a mate got stuck in last weekend and got the frame knocked up, thankfully his welding skills are a lot better than mine so it should stay in one piece!

Bed tacked together

Draw bar added

Almost rolling on 4 wheels, but i got supplied a couple of wrong springs so will have that sorted this weekend.

Need to order guards, flooring and a few other bits and it should come together pretty well.
    Last edited by Andy San; 06-06-17 at 10:23 AM.

You don't need springs.
    I find it tows better without them.

Looks tops mate. Will the drivers door be able to open once the guards are on?

VW Amarok - Daily
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD

Lift up/Rear hinged mud guards....

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Looks tops mate. Will the drivers door be able to open once the guards are on?
    Should be able to, evos have a reasonably high sill panel so I'm hoping that will allow me to get the door open. Going to position the guards with the car on the trailer so we can get the guards as low as possible.

For when u need a wizard merlin's Avatar
    Make it a tilt trailer

Mine is no drop axel (self built) and works a treat 2.4 ramps and drive Ip rx7 on and off with front spoiler on

John P

Flooring and guards arrived, super happy with the look of the rolled guards, worth the extra money over the standard folded stuff I reckon.

Need to make up some inner filler panels for the back of the guards and work out how much tyre clearance is needed with the car loaded onto the trailer.

Where did the sheet flooring come from.

Need a length, as the 3 cars we stick on mine are different widths.

Corolla is almost as wide as the trailer, where the Familia and 2 have heaps of clearance.
    Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Rapid Perforating in VIC - http://www.rapidperf.com.au/

About $130 for a 2400x600mm sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy San View Post
    Rapid Perforating in VIC - http://www.rapidperf.com.au/

About $130 for a 2400x600mm sheet.
    many thanks
    Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Small update, trailer is just about done.

Mounted up the guards, which was a bit fiddly, but they are solid as now.

Forgot to take a photo with the car on it, but there's about 50mm clearance to the bottom of the door which is great.

Finished off the spare wheel mount on the draw bar last night, was hoping I'd have some room at the front of the bed for a tool box, but I dont' think there'll be much now with the spare in place.

Now I need to paint the thing... Any suggestions on what to use? Need something which will dry in sub 20 degree temps which is all we seem to get in the hills this time of year.
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-06-17 at 02:55 PM.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    that is a schmick trailer

do you have a rough estimate of your costs?
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.