Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo 8 racecar

Wankeling Rotard
    What's your plan for flocking the dash Andy? Is there a crowd that does it locally? I need to get mine done also but don't fancy shipping it to Shepperton (only place I could find in Australia). DIY doesn't look too difficult though.
    '93 fini FD RX7 | '04 FE RX8 blog.vtxms.com
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

The standard box turns to glass with the torque the restrictor pushes through it.

Our Ipra car has more torque than a 400kw street fairy.

are you on Evo oz? Be lots of circuit guys there to help out

Quote Originally Posted by Streety View Post
    The standard box turns to glass with the torque the restrictor pushes through it.

Our Ipra car has more torque than a 400kw street fairy.

are you on Evo oz? Be lots of circuit guys there to help out
    Seems to be a number of cars running or that have run in the past without too many problems, I'm going to see how it goes to start with, mainly because there isn't any budget for a fancy gearbox at this point! I think I've made an account previously but I've never really gone on there much.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    What's your plan for flocking the dash Andy? Is there a crowd that does it locally? I need to get mine done also but don't fancy shipping it to Shepperton (only place I could find in Australia). DIY doesn't look too difficult though.
    There is a place in victoria I was going to get to do it, (probably the same place you've been looking at) but I'm still a while off needing to get it done. I've wondered about DIY as well, but I think it's probably worth paying to get it done with the proper static charge method.

All good, 220kw seems to be the limit for the ii.
    Anymore and it throws fourth out the box.

It's possible the later 5 speed could go to 250kw. But I wouldn't push it further than that.

6 speed would be more like 220kw

late model 5 speeds can handle plenty, in a race application its heat that helps them break so a cooler would
    help keep a stock 5 speed alive

Came back to post exactly that lol George.

They fail due to heat so cooling is very important. Should be a relatively easy to plumb up a cooling system

Apparently Steve Knight used to break his standard gearboxes all the time in IPRA. I guess the longer races put a lot more heat/stress through the box, so a cooler for sure would help prolong life.

My original 5 speeder is still going strong and handles big torque and 580hp without too much fuss, but it really is the weak link in my car these days.
    Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
    Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
    Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Seem to be a couple of brothers running 8/9s in NSW Combined touring. Not sure what mods are allowed, but they're quicker than the LS-commodores.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Small Update, car is off at the fabricators getting a little bit of seam welding done and a few other bits, So I've started doing other odd jobs that need finishing off before they can be bolted back onto the car.

Resealed the front calipers and painted them a nice shade of blue for extra wanker factor points, also fitted ARP wheel studs while I was there.

Also discovered a nice crack through the left rear upright (most likely caused from that bump in the video on the first post) Thought about welding it up as they've had some strengthening done on them that I'd rather not redo, but on closer inspection it goes right up into the bolt hole for the wheel bearing so bin job I think. Finding stuff like this does make it feel like it's worth completely dismantling what some would have considered a perfectly good car, as it would have potentially caused some serious problems later if that had broken completely.

Also splurged a little on a C125 Motec Dash, with logging and I/O upgrades, should be useful when setting up all the suspension and diff settings later. Now just need to work out how to wire it up...
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:37 PM.

Started screwing the motor together last week, going to keep it fairly simple as having to run a 36mm restrictor means that headwork and massive cams don't have the same effect as they normally would.
    Using a 100mm stroke crank to bring the torque up and get it out of the corners a bit better.

Got a balance shaft delete kit for it, along with ARP everywhere to hopefully keep the head on. Should hopefully have the motor finished off this week.
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:38 PM.

Bit of an update,

Motor is finished and all bolted up to the gearbox ready to go back in the car:

I had the shell blasted to get all the crap off after the seam welding was done, it's been rubbed back, all the holes covered with alloy tape and is getting painted today, can't wait to see it all in one colour!

Used some leftover carbon sheet I had to blank off the old heaterbox holes in the firewall

Alloy tape over all the holes in the pillar

In the booth ready to go!
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:43 PM.

Fuck me this is going to be nice when finished.

Got the car back from the painters, super happy with the result, the photos don't really do justice to how glossy the paint came out. Makes the outside look pretty average now, looking forward to getting the outside painted up once it's rolling again.

Started putting it back together, should hopefully have it rolling by the end of the weekend.
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:45 PM.

Got stuck in on Sunday and managed to get heaps more done than I thought I was going to, everything went back together pretty easy.

Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:48 PM.

So things have stalled a bit on this waiting for the outside of the car to be painted... Mechanically though it's just about there, waiting on one more loom to arrive so I can finish the dash unit off.

Did a few odd jobs last weekend though-

Got the dash back from flocking, super happy with how this turned out, can't wait to get it into the car once the paintwork is finished!

Pulled the cupholders and the storage bin out of the console to make way for some buttons to control the isolator switch and other non critical items.

Also works to cover the hydraulic handbrake up and keeps the interior looking really clean and wire free. Trying to decide whether I should get this flocked as well to match the dashboard.

Engine bay basically finished... nothing overly exciting to look at, looks like a stocker!
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy San View Post
    Engine bay basically finished... nothing overly exciting to look at, looks like a stocker!
    It is a stocker
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    It is a stocker
    Sorry I forgot my italics

Wankeling Rotard
    Looking awesome Andy!
    '93 fini FD RX7 | '04 FE RX8 blog.vtxms.com
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Great build man, that's a nice job on that flocking indeed.

Finally got this back from the paint shop, worth the wait though as it's come up better than I'd hoped.

Got stuck in over the weekend and fitted the dash and the rest of the interior back in.

Carbon door trims look nice fitted! Just need some rear ones now if anyone knows where to find a pair that aren't drug money

Just needs a windscreen to seal it up

Hopefully will have the windows fitted this week, then it's off to get a few odd jobs done with the fabricator, and then a tune.
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:53 PM.

outstanding work man!
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Quote Originally Posted by fantapants View Post
    outstanding work man!
    x2
    looks neater than most road cars haha

This is way too neat for a race car. Can you please hurry up and get it dented

+7...Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    This is way too neat for a race car. Can you please hurry up and get it dented
    Thanks fellas, hopefully not too many dents!

Very tidy, great work.
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Fuck yeah how industrial does that look!
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

So I finally got this stickered up and tuned, made reasonable power for something with a standard turbo and head, although the restrictor definitely limits the rev range a bit, will have to look at mucking around with cam timing down the track to try and pull a few more revs in it.

But still, looks the part with all the stickers on

Took it out for it's first meeting over the weekend, had an awesome time... few small problems but on the whole pretty happy with the car out of the box.
    Managed to run in the top 4 all weekend, and even win one of the races once it started raining.
    Starts were fun, although finding a gap through to the front wasn't that easy once people worked out I was coming.

Was crazy weather on the sunday, with the strong winds causing massive dust storms across the track, the start had to be delayed because you couldn't see from one corner to the next!
    This was the view from the grandstand of all the cars on the start line

Also had a lot of issues with rear pad knockoff, not really sure why, as everything seems to be fine with the whole wheel bearing/hub/disc situation, and it was only doing it around corners, so something must be flexing somewhere. Hoping some knockback springs in the rear calipers might help things but it would be nice to fix the cause of the problem to begin with.

Managed to do my fastest lap of the weekend on the last lap of the last race, and just snuck into the 1:15's so with a bit more car setup it should be a good thing!
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 01:55 PM.

Solid results for the first race outing, nice work
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Nice work mate. Good to see you back out there and up the front for a change!