Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo 8 racecar

Looked good out there mate, the car is a credit to you

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    Looked good out there mate, the car is a credit to you
    Thanks mate, was good to see you all out there on the weekend... now hurry up and get your thing back out there!

Nice work mate
    Chris O

Some incar from the other week, and a few photos

Going to have a look at cams and some adjustable cam gears to try and get a bit more top end power from it.
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 12:24 PM.

Final race for the weekend, finally starting to get the suspension setup a bit better.

Hey Andy, great looking car...production race cars had problems with the eccentrics on the rear control arms coming loose and the rear camber and toe being affected. I made some laser cut spacer shims in half mm incaments to replace the eccentric bolts and it stoped the rear end moving out of alignment. If you want the files so you can get some laser cut your self , send me you email address.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    Hey Andy, great looking car...production race cars had problems with the eccentrics on the rear control arms coming loose and the rear camber and toe being affected. I made some laser cut spacer shims in half mm incaments to replace the eccentric bolts and it stoped the rear end moving out of alignment. If you want the files so you can get some laser cut your self , send me you email address.
    That would be great, cheers, PM sent.

So after the first couple of outings in the car it was clear that the standard sump wasn't up to the task of keeping the oil somewhere near the pickup during cornering. I tried to fix this by overfilling the oil a little and welding in a baffle around the pickup similar to the Burschur racing sumps, which helped to fix some of the oil surge, but still didn't really help with the lack of oil volume. Only way to fix that was going to be to increase the overall capacity. Got a mate of mine to knock me up a larger capacity winged sump with a much improved baffle around the oil pickup, hopefully this will fix it for good. I also fitted a Tomei oil thermostat delete so the oil cooler will now be working full time.

Seeing as the motor was out of the car, I decided to fit some Tomei vernier pulleys and some slightly larger cams, which will hopefully give it a little bit more top end power, as it was dropping off just a little bit too early with the standard stuff.

Finished mounting my new oil cooler, hopefully it will work a little more efficiently than the oem unit.

Went back to the dyno yesterday to see if the changes to the motor had made any sort of difference.
    Was fairly happy with the results, although the wastegate actuator on the new turbo I'd fitted would only let us make 20psi, so I'll have to change that over and see if a bit more boost will net any more power.

Regardless of this problem the motor still made more grunt than it had before, with a much more usable rev range and far better oil temps with the larger oil cooler, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it will go next week at Mallala.

I also fitted up the knockback springs to the rear brake calipers, along with lock wiring the pins that hold the pads in, which will definitely stop them being pushed out of the caliper.
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 12:29 PM.

how many tokens was the sump?
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Think Dan's doing them for about $750ish

Been a little while since the last update... Finally managed to make up a sump on this thing that doesn't get oil surge, which is good because now I can concentrate on making it handle rather than worrying about whether or not it's going to chuck a rod.
    Went out for the final state round of the year a couple of weekends ago, managed to qualify 2nd behind the always quick Sprinter of Chris Brown, and stayed there for race 1, lowering my pb to a 1:14.8, so heading in the right direction times wise.

Got the jump off the line in race 2 but definitely felt like there was something weird about the car heading into turn 1. Quickly worked out the rear brakes had jammed on, due to me over adjusting the hydraulic handbrake pushrod and blocking off the return port on the cylinder... doh! At least an easy fix, but still annoying and the first DNF for the car.
    Rain came literally as we were rolling around to start race 3, so that made coming back through the field a lot easier, so I managed to win that race, along with the last one as well in the dark. All in all a pretty good weekend!

Plans are to now get everything tidied up and sorted over Christmas as IP will be running at the Clipsal 500 next year so I'd like to make sure everything can be as sorted and reliable as possible. Can't wait to send it through the chicane!

Here's a video from the first lap of race 3.

Great work Andy!
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Is that rubber lip factory? Thanks!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

looks awesome. great setup
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Is that rubber lip factory? Thanks!
    It's just a cheap fibreglass one off ebay from memory, same design as the ralliart lip.

Competed at the Willunga Hillclimb over the weekend. Managed to go a lot better than I thought I would, Picking up 3rd for the event!
    Was nice to use the car for something other than circuit racing, and the lack of power suited the twisty stuff at the top of the hill pretty well... although a bit more grunt would have been nice.
    Here's a video of my fastest run for the day

needs more widebody
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    needs more widebody
    I'll make sure I leave the original guards underneath

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Pretty fast open road for the first half of the hillclimb.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

It's a great bit of road, I normally don't get too excited by hillclimbs, but this one is definitely worth doing!

Picked the car up yesterday from the signwriter after getting it's Clipsal livery applied... Super happy with the end result, should stand out pretty well on track!

Couple more stickers and a wheel alignment left and it'll be ready to go next week!
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 12:31 PM.

Looks good!
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Any pictures of what you did to the sump to prevent oil starvation on rights?

Speak to Dan at Tuff Customs, he can build you a sump that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy San View Post
    Speak to Dan at Tuff Customs, he can build you a sump that works.
    Ah, yes I saw that on facebook. Looks almost identical to the racefab one (wonder if its just as expensive?).

The only difference is this one actually works like it's intended When you compare them there are a lot of differences internally.
    Last edited by Andy San; 23-02-17 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy San View Post
    The only difference is this one actually works like it's intended When you compare them there are a lot of differences internally.
    Ah ok, yeh they didnt show any pictures of the baffling. Was curious about it cause I would weld one up myself instead if I know how to baffle it correctly. Thanks for the info anyways. Is the car set for the next event?

Simple enough to work out with a bit of time, effort and logging. That's all we did.
    The Tuff Customs ones can also be pulled apart for cleaning which is a big plus.

Just about ready to go, few small jobs this weekend left to do and see what happens next week.

Opens
    Car looks awesome, nice one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Well Clipsal was an awesome experience. I managed to run close to the front all weekend, 2nd in practice, 4th in qualifying and a couple of 3rds and a 4th in the races meant I finished on the podium for the weekend, which was an added bonus.

Car went really well with no major issues, although I did have problems with the rear diff open wheeling out of the tighter corners in the last race, which made me lose a bit of time against the guys I'd been beating all weekend.

Going to have to look at changing the turbo over though as I do need to get a bit more power out of it now, I'm getting smashed in a straight line against some of the more powerful turbo cars.

Few good photos from the weekend -

In car from race 1:
    Last edited by Andy San; 07-07-17 at 12:34 PM.