Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Tunes and Installs

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar

ECU Tunes and Installs

I'm back from my day job and have a bit of a backlog to work through for ECU installs and wiring. I thought I might post some pics and details of how I install and tune on different cars and ECUs.

Starting off with this 1JZ Soarer, running some cams, a new turbo, 6 boost manifold and a 1280 ECU. It did come in with a dead PowerFC, and had it not broken they are really capable ECU's if you can work around their idiosyncrasies. This one was faulty (Failed chip when warm causing hesitations), so we decided with the Adaptronic due to many factors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150424_192713.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	503.7 KB 
ID:	83704

The Adaptronic has 12 injector outputs, 8 ignitor outputs, 8 high current aux outputs, 8 digital inputs and 16 analogue inputs. The beaut thing about these ECU's is that the injector and ignition outputs can be re-purposed to high current aux outputs should you not have 12 cylinders. The wiring diagram does assign wires to specific roles like MAP and TPS to certain analogue inputs, but these too can be changed in software should you make a mistake wiring or want to do something different.

I always start with a IO (Input/Output) count and either write it down, write it on the wiring diagram, or if the software allows, just enter it straight in to the ECU. After playing with the new Haltech range, they have this function now too. An IO count and diagram really helps you get your head around where to start and gives a good indication of progress.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	176 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	83698

From there I start wiring, usually ECU power, relays and anything 12v. With most modern ECU's, you can retain the standard EFI relays, ECCS etc etc sort of stuff and have it triggered by the ECU as if it was the stock ECU. This is a very nice way to do things, as it retains fuse/relay functions and wiring diagrams. Often you have to drive ECCS relays high, which is something some ECU's are not capable of doing without an interposing relay. The adaptronic can do it with the tick of a box in the software. Aux out 7 is used to turn on main efi relay in this car.

Name:	IMG_20150424_214841.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	482.1 KB 
ID:	83705

We are doing some cool things on this car. Turbo speed can be wired straight in to the ECU as a hall effect. Re-purposing VSS4(vehicle speed sensor) input, we are able to scan incredibly high frequencies and do simple calculations on them in the ECU to output turbo speed. This will later be used to dynamically check boost against turbo speed for compressor efficiency as a calculation within the ECU and for logging. Here you can see the logic change involved. This change had to be done in advanced view, as it is somewhat of a hack to the standard ecu firmware, simple never the less.
    Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 1670
Size:  12.6 KB

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	151 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	83699

Name:	IMG_20150424_175019.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	83703

Another cool thing is oil pressure and fuel pressure. Using sensors mounted in the rail and the filter housing, pressures will be monitored and checked against a expected value for any given RPM or MAP and flash CEL or initiate fuel cut if out of tolerance. Fuel will be done by using a measured base fuel pressure and subtracting MAP from it. so if we say there is 270kPa of fuel pressure and we are 30 kPa on the MAP (70 kPa vacuum) then the fuel pressure should be 200kPa. This assumes a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator. If this doesn't work we can always do a log of fuel pressure and just use a 2D table to compare with. Oil pressure will be a 2D table of RPM vs pressure, and compared to actual pressure. A banjo bold was skillfully machined to fit a 1/8th sensor.

Name:	IMG_20150511_002740[1].jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	83708

Name:	Capture4.PNG 
Views:	149 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	83702

As always, triggering is very important and although this is a very well documented trigger system, I thought I would run through the motions of setting up triggering with an unknown CAS for demonstration. Using a scope, we can see the top wave as the crank wheel and the bottom wave as the cam reset wheel. The crank has many teeth and is used for high resolution fuel and timing triggering as the motor spins. The cam reset wheel is to tell the ECU that the engine is at TDC as a reset/refresh of the engine rotation counting. The bottom wheel alone, with no missing teeth, isn't helpful to the ECU without a reset pulse which the cam provides. Fun fact about the 1280 is that it has an internal scope on all calculations and IO. This is very handy as it lets you see engine angle count up while watching ignition, inject and CAS events. It's interesting to note the waveform rises first then sharply falls. If polarity was incorrect on the sensor, it would fall first then rise sharply. I wire in a rush and get this wrong seeming more than random chance would allow. My scope pic followed by the adaptronic internal scope and ignition/inj events.

Name:	IMG_20150510_133752.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	83706

Name:	IMG_20150510_134054.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	427.2 KB 
ID:	83707

Name:	Capture3.PNG 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	83701

This car is now running and after tomorrows road tune we will head to the dyno for a power run.
    Last edited by Jason Broadhurst; 11-05-15 at 12:56 AM.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

i need more letters
    Awesome. Very informative.

Opens
    So much nerd. well done.

Cheers, mate, the way you sorted shit out on mine was awesome. Great to see in this level of detail.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Opens
    2 789's, bastard..... I want one of those, struggling to justify it though.

Nice setup and rather informative.

Opens
    I popped in during this install. I can confirm dr who and Star Trek were playing on the tv whilst Jason watched the owner work

Very cool, and relevant to my current interest!
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Opposed to the PFAD Bill
    Start a blog. Nekminnet: #tunedbybuthurts

Should really get you to spend a few hours fine tuning ute on street with me for super economy. Love it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Great write up... Have been interested in the adaptronics for a while so keen to see more.

Appreciate the insight.

Love the turbo speed measurement!!

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    great write up!

No Haltech, no care.

So keen to actually do something with my project.
    Last edited by Slides; 12-05-15 at 12:22 AM.

Needs more Ethrottle.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Cheers, mate, the way you sorted shit out on mine was awesome. Great to see in this level of detail.
    JZ are my bread and butter lately it seems How is yours going?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pupat View Post
    2 789's, bastard..... I want one of those, struggling to justify it though.

Nice setup and rather informative.
    One for simulation and one for verification

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    I popped in during this install. I can confirm dr who and Star Trek were playing on the tv whilst Jason watched the owner work
    It hasn't been the same without David Tennant

Quote Originally Posted by rolin7 View Post
    Very cool, and relevant to my current interest!
    Shutup and update build thread

Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    Start a blog. Nekminnet: #tunedbybuthurts
    Nekbeardminnet. I could get some stickers made.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Should really get you to spend a few hours fine tuning ute on street with me for super economy. Love it
    Bring it around already.

Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    No Haltech, no care.

So keen to actually do something with my project.
    Monday coming is a haltech FJ20 DR30 FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    Needs more Ethrottle.
    If it were up to me
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Is the scope a requirement to set a trigger pattern?

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Not at all. Just like most ECU's, you just select your motor from a list.

If your motor it isn't in the list(unlikely it wouldn't be), you can use the scope to obtain the settings to put in the ECU. Similar to if you have added your own toothed wheel setup, just put those settings in and or use the scope to confirm.

Last edited by Jason Broadhurst; 12-05-15 at 01:48 PM.
    Jason Broadhurst

I have a similar Tektronix TDS2XX scope here - missing a similar number of knobs etc. They just keep trucking
    Dirty Subaru owner

I've been meaning to get on ebay for new knobs... for like years.
    Jason Broadhurst

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar

but i like it, keep posting.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Are you going to put an Adaptronic on your Stagea??

I would really love to!

It would be very complex to do so however, due to the canbus and controlling the auto. I could run an Adaptronic alongside the stock ECU and get it working in a weekend, but I would love to replace the lot and have it all run from the ECU, perhaps even the auto computer.

To do so I would have to build a canbus to canbus converter to control the car side canbus requirements, which is something I wouldn't have time to do as it's my daily. On a side note, if done and working I could do a standalone R35 ECU which isn't something that is available readily yet.
    Jason Broadhurst

The stagea auto and throttle do need a touch up in the control department. Find I have to predict my driving a lot more than I'd like to. Having the throttle go when I pressed it or the auto change gears when I tell it (and not a full second or more later) would be magic. Thought about putting a faster solenoid box on the auto but again it's the family daily.

Having said that it's still my favourite family car I've ever had.

Its funny, in 2008 when I was looking at the way Andy set these up on the prototype (admittedly he didn't have the retard safe front side all going then) I was telling everyone how flexible and powerful these would be and all you heard was "jaycar shit mate".

So how exactly does the turbo wheel speed measurement help with tuning?
    Im trying to work out how that data would be of any more use than say a pressure sensor on comp outlet.

Diagnostic mainly I expect - it would give you an easier way to determine where the turbo sits on its efficiency map during varying loads.
    I think its more a "Thats cool" feature than anything else.
    Dirty Subaru owner

Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    Its funny, in 2008 when I was looking at the way Andy set these up on the prototype (admittedly he didn't have the retard safe front side all going then) I was telling everyone how flexible and powerful these would be and all you heard was "jaycar shit mate".
    That's because they often failed or in my case the 1280 just didn't work at all. 1280 is punching with the big boys price wise so don't expect it to take over the world. Nissan connector is gayer than aids too.

These are advanced ECU's. Lets not let this run away with technophobia hey lads.

Turbo speed will be helpful to know when you are wasting your time adding boost, or it is something else restricting power being produced. It's not always a case of add boost until you dont make any more power, as other things can be the cause. This way we can know it isn't the turbo very easily.
    Last edited by Jason Broadhurst; 13-05-15 at 11:10 AM.
    Jason Broadhurst

The 1280 looks really neat. I'm running a 440 and can't really fault it. I've fed in oil and fuel pressure and I'm using the engine protection stuff for peace of mind.

I'd love to have a closer look at a 1280.

Happy to have a chat one day TimK, I'm in Nudgee if you are ever around.
    Jason Broadhurst