Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Tunes and Installs

Only thing on paper that turns me off the adaptronic is the lack of canbus support... it would seem to really limit future options without it.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelo View Post
    Only thing on paper that turns me off the adaptronic is the lack of canbus support... it would seem to really limit future options without it.
    They are well aware of this, I believe they are already developing CAN interface options.

Opens
    Can they drive a tacho without additional bullshit yet?

depends on your tacho. if the tacho was designed to run off the coil negative then you need to make a tacho booster. and by tacho booster i mean connecting 3 wires into a relay... pretty simple shit.

Opens
    Why can other Ecu's do this out of the box?

Meh, my tacho doesn't work anyway

#40yearolddatsunlifeyo
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    None can, that I am aware of. All ECU tacho outputs are square wave, none are back emf voltage spikes.

The adaptronic have internal pullup resistors to drive a wider range of dash than most though.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Old school carby tacho=/= factory efi tacho.

Please show me a haltech, microtech, motech, megasquirt, Pectel/whatever without a CDI or direct injection driver module triggering an old school tacho.

Opens
    Haltech e6x could drive a tacho out of the box with no fiddling that an e420c couldnt.

They don't sell e420c any more?

Opens
    Hopefully not.

I've just replaced a 420C with a 440D on a mates car, 420C went well for the last 7 or so years until some heatshrink melted through and the ignition output shorted to 12V in the loom and blew an IC off the board
    Was pretty straightforward to change over with the existing map

Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    Old school carby tacho=/= factory efi tacho.

Please show me a haltech, microtech, motech, megasquirt, Pectel/whatever without a CDI or direct injection driver module triggering an old school tacho.
    Do it every week, only ecu's with useless outputs can't do it..
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Tim is such a hater. It's only 3 wires into a relay you dumbass. Cunts like you probably expect your engine management system to do that for you.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

So without touching on the obvious fact that an adaptronic has fingered a few members wives in the past, I'll keep the thread going to help the interested.

The loom on this car was 80% OEM with 20% additional. The additional was added to the existing engine harness so that it is 100% OEM looking while having the extra goodies the new ECU can provide. Additions included; new coils, deleted igniter, 3 bar MAP, 3 extra injection wires for sequential injection, oil pressure, new cage type intake air temp (IAT), turbo speed, fuel pressure, wideband(serial comms).

Integrating to the factory harness is easy, it's just a matter of matching up existing pins, testing they are correct and then pinning to the new ECU plug. This is yet to be heat shrunk, but you get the picture of how OEM an install can look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150513_214439.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	83780

Then, using the immense fingerbanging power of the adaptronic, I programmed some fault conditions to flash the stock check engine light. There will be 3 levels of flashing. Knock will have its own fast flash (as pictured). There is a medium flash will be for things which are out of spec but can still limp the car home ei; fuel pressure, AFR out of range etc. The final flash will be the oh shit pull over and pull the key flash, a 4 second sustained flash reserved for low oil pressure, over temp and other super critical things.

The 1280 also has plenty of internal memory, so every time (on the rising edge) a knock, over rev, over temp, etc etc happens, it adds 1 to a counter within the ECU. This allows you to later check faults which have happened since a last fault reset. This is detailed in the video also.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

wow! i have a plug and play adaptronic in my 180 and had no idea how powerful they were. am i right that the select range of ecus have quite a few funtions locked off when compared to a 440d?

Bloody hell that looks the goods. I thought my work was fairly tidy (with the exception of my own car), and I know what goes into it! Jason I'd love to have a chat at some stage.

slow180 the plug in ones aren't locked, they are just like a 440. It's the 420D which has features locked out (no auto tune, no fuel composition sensor/flex fuel support).
    Last edited by TimK; 14-05-15 at 08:19 AM.

Select plug in can do pretty much everything a 440D can, just depends what I/O you are already using. If you want to change settings beyond the "default" plug in allocations you use the "hidden" menu to unlock the retard-proofing then you can change trigger settings/all the I/O from the PnP allocation if you want to wire additional stuff/flex fuel sensors/reprogram outputs etc. They don't have the open ended raw logic programming like the 1280 above however.

You can use the logic aux out functions, similar to how the new Haltech range do things. You select aux out 8 as logic rule 15 for instance. Then logic rule 15 is selected as TPS above 50% and RPM above 4000 will engage aux out 8. You can feed another and block in to logic rule 15, and cascade as many rules as you like.

It's how you program say water injection PWM from 50% duty to 100% duty only if above 50kPa(g) boost easily.
    Jason Broadhurst

I got a 1280 off Jason

I've coded a bunch of stuff in it.

Engine light flash codes for 4 different faults. These are latched until cleared by driver using quick jab of throttle with zero road speed.
    Oil p/fuel p/egt/Afr drift from target protection/power cut
    Calculated stoic ratio of current ethanol concentration is part of fuel calc. 3D VE and ignition tables for 98 and E85 with blending. Seperate 98 and ethanol boost target maps with blending. Ecu automatically adjusts boost depending on ethanol content.
    Ethanol concentration displayed on r34 MFD screen if car is stationary. If car moving injector duty is displayed instead.
    Windowed knock control with timing advance ramp after timing pulled due to knock event. There is a fuel quality value that sums knock events over time. If enough knock events occur the ecu will pull more and more advance from ignition table. This is quality value is reset when you refill the car with new fuel by holding tps 100% with engine off. logged engine light faults are cleared with tps 100% engine running and zero road speed.
    Flat shift logic calculates required RPM target from road speed. Ecu stores last known gear and calculates required target rpm for next gear at current road speed for a seamless upshift. When shift complete timing retard ramps back to full advance at a user set degrees/second rate to reduce shock load on gearbox.

That's all for now. Current calc rate is 400hz. Which is one recalc per ignition event at 8000rpm. Should be quick enough.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 14-05-15 at 05:37 PM.

Oo___oO

Damn, I get the feeling I bought the wrong ECU!

Burn4005 is just showing off

The 440 is a spectacular ECU considering it's alternatives in the price bracket.
    Jason Broadhurst

What's better about it compared to equivalent ecu's?
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Opens
    Just looking at the programming environment in Burn4005's thread... Looks like PID block built in which is pretty cool. definitely a powerful environment. Does it give you a full programming environment, custom function block, structured text etc.?

Just function block logic Pupat. No custom function blocks, but you can dedicate a page to some big logic chunks and reference elsewhere for simplicity.

Kinda like the way I do flashing. tick boxes enable a fault to flash, a selector block directs the 1 to which flash speed I want, and then the back end deals with it.
    Jason Broadhurst

Opens
    Cool, still pretty powerful.

I wonder how long it'll be before they do support custom function blocks written in something like LUA.
    Now that would be awesome.

That would be pretty cool

Not being a PLC, it doesn't have a MASSIVE amount of blocks. It does have everything you need to do anything you want, but often it has to be a few steps removed from the ideal logic with the smallest amount of blocks. CPU time would be identical, because of the mechanics used by those more complex blocks is the same as you end up writing anyway, but it could save small mounts of programming time.
    Jason Broadhurst

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    That would be pretty cool

Not being a PLC, it doesn't have a MASSIVE amount of blocks. It does have everything you need to do anything you want, but often it has to be a few steps removed from the ideal logic with the smallest amount of blocks. CPU time would be identical, because of the mechanics used by those more complex blocks is the same as you end up writing anyway, but it could save small mounts of programming time.
    Yeah it would be nice to write in Structure Text or something and build more complex function blocks but it'd likely add a fair chunk of overhead compared with programming it using their basic blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    What's better about it compared to equivalent ecu's?
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...