Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Tunes and Installs

Isn't Vipec closing up shop?

I dont think i would build another MS3 (it was announced a few months after i started building mine). I would spend the extra and buy a MS3Pro.
    All the fucking around to build a decent MS3 gets you to about 2/3rds the price of a MS3Pro, and then you still don't have the nice compact size, decent connectors and waterproof rating of the Pro.

Vipec is just a brand of ELectronz which is Link. Link are just rebranding again and losing the name. The i44 and 88 are going to be G4 extreme Black or something like that.

The Link Atom is a good ecu, it's more adaptable than a PS500 and has a non retarded connector but it is more expensive. It is $1100 for the unit only, plus loom at $100 odd and you need to run a map sensor as it has no internal map so it tends to get up there once you buy accessories. I expect(hope) the PS500 is replaced with something a little better soon to compete with the Atom.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Yes it is being replace with the elite 500. Connector is gone too
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Vipec name is being retained for their "powersports" ECU's like the jetski and snowmobile plugins, the rest are now Link's and the latest firmware has unlocked all the extra's that you previously had to pay for enablement motec-style

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Oh cool! They have some great features in their tuning software that I really like.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

That is cool. The link fury looks like a badass ecu for a 6 cyl application, especially with everything unlocked. Onboard wideband controller too.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    I will be accused of being bias but the e420d is miles better an ecu than a sprint 500. You wouldn't be unhappy with a sprint, they are competitive ecu's for very basic duty. If you want some middle spec ecu features, the 420 gets a good look (for the same price anyway).
    And if you're gonna get a 420d you may as well get a 440. It's not really that much more in the scheme of things and the extra features are well worth it. Auto-tune alone is worth it. It's a bit shit that the old e420c had autotuning in it and the new 420d does not for the same price. I'm sure Andy has his reasons but meh, I have a 440 so doesnt matter to me :P

Someone mentioned MS, and needing to be pretty in-depth knowledgeable about how it goes together to make it work...absolutely correct. I build/wire/sometimes tune these here in the states and the only serious issue with them is dodgy builds and dodgy harnesses. Everyone hates on the connectors...They're not the best but I have never had one fail when it's used correctly. I'd prefer a different one though...

Does anyone work with Wolf ECUs in AU? I know a few of the dealer/installers here in the states and they look pretty nice, but I've never used one.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Someone mentioned MS, and needing to be pretty in-depth knowledgeable about how it goes together to make it work...absolutely correct. I build/wire/sometimes tune these here in the states and the only serious issue with them is dodgy builds and dodgy harnesses. Everyone hates on the connectors...They're not the best but I have never had one fail when it's used correctly. I'd prefer a different one though...

Does anyone work with Wolf ECUs in AU? I know a few of the dealer/installers here in the states and they look pretty nice, but I've never used one.
    My mate with the MS has a wolf, says he prefers the ms as there is more support. They were pretty common a while back.

Wolf is one of the lesser rated brands here in Australia, but like with everything, it depends on who you ask.

The 4 or 5 I have tuned in the past all ended up as good implementations.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Last edited by burn is weird; 28-05-15 at 01:16 PM.

Oo___oO

QQ burn4005?
    Jason Broadhurst

Posted in wrong place.. See my post in your trip computer thread.

Oo___oO

Awesome thread, such learn, wow.
    '84 Supra 7MGTE
    '86 Supra track pig
    '99 Supra RZ-S
    '10 C63 AMG

PSN: RyleyMA61

How did the DR30 install go Jason?

I've just swapped the standard 250cc injectors (should be #195500-2180) in my turbo'd NA8 MX5 to RX8 yellow 420cc (#195500-4450), running an Autronic SMC. It runs and idles, but I assume its rich as fuck, I haven't tried driving it. I've borrowed a laptop with a serial port and installed the Autronic tuning program (but just realised that both the ecu cable and the laptop have female ports, so I need to find a male-male adaptor) and was hoping that I would be able to just tell it the difference in injector size and that it would scale everything else to fit the current map... Does anyone know if thats how it works?

It won't let me see what options there are without being connected to the ecu so I'm not sure if this is something I should be poking around in myself or if I should get someone who actually knows what they're doing to look at it. I guess maybe it might be worth seeing if I can find a random map to suit a SMC online then see if I can load that and look at what it allows you to change that way?
    WWPBD

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

SMC is a mic jack on the ecu end and a normal DB9 on the other, you must have the wrong cable or someone has done a hack up cable for it,

all you need to change is the injector type and the scaler number.. providing it is setup correctly in the first place..
    im a cunt

Cheers Dale, it's definitely the right cable, I might just be describing the computer end incorrectly, it's been a while since I've even seen one of these old plugs. It's the smaller prism shaped one, I think they used to be used on joysticks? I guess serial was the longer one with the clips for printers? But yeah, it has the 3.5mm style one on the other end.

I'll work out how to save a copy of the map before I go fucking with it, the way you described it sounds like how I imagined it would work so I should be able to work that out
    WWPBD

first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

CXt, post a pic of the connector

It should plug straight in. Pretty easy to change the connector
    im a cunt

Crap, just realised they have different numbers of pins, the one on the laptop has three rows of 5, the cable has a row of 4 and a row of 5. Looks like its USB convertor time. Didn't think to look too closely at the one on the laptop, just that it was the same shape and size

Google suggests the cable is a DB9, and the laptop is HD 15
    Last edited by CXTdreamer; 31-05-15 at 09:13 PM.
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

You don't have a native serial port on laptop. Thats a vga port for a monitor. USB to rs232 adaptor is the go. Make sure the one you get has drivers for your OS. Vista was a fuckaround, but most will support win 7.

The ones with an FTDI chip are the best supported and most reliable. Some of the mega budget China ones on eBay can be a hassle.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 01-06-15 at 10:14 AM.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by burn4005 View Post
    You don't have a native serial port on laptop. Thats a vga port for a monitor. USB to rs232 adaptor is the go. Make sure the one you get has drivers for your OS. Vista was a fuckaround, but most will support win 7.

The ones with an FTDI chip are the best supported and most reliable. Some of the mega budget China ones on eBay can be a hassle.
    I have never been able to get one of the usb > rs232 adapters to work with Autronic. I've actually got a dedicated shitbox old laptop with a serial port that I use for tuning Autronic.

Quote Originally Posted by burn4005 View Post

Very much this. The FTDI stuff is the only shit that actually works properly. Just last week I offered to help a guy with sorting out some issues on his car. He comes round with all the gear, go to connect it all up and the fucker wouldnt register on his laptop. Look at the cables and of course, cheapshit jaycar D9 > USB converter.....

I paid through the nose for a Belkin cable ($45!) but it seems to work perfectly and was a minimal stuff around on an old Haltech E6K.

Ditto the above. Had the jaycar cable, wouldn't work in any way, no matter what I did.
    Last edited by [TUFFVQ]; 01-06-15 at 03:21 PM.

Jaycar ones are pox, but plenty of other prolific chips work fine. Getting the correct driver is 99% of it though, often having to specify or change the ini to get it operational.
    Jason Broadhurst

racepak branded USB to serial are by far the best i have ever used. they work perfectly with everything, Autronic, Motec, Microtech, haltech etc.. never drop out ever
    im a cunt

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    Yeah I've not had a problem with my bok choi Rs232 to Usb adapter on my Megasquirt, but the MS3 has a usb port now so just use that. I vaguely remember the UART settings to be the key to stop drop-outs on MS's if you had any.
    Last edited by krisr; 01-06-15 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

most of the current gen ECUs now use USB so it is becoming less and less of an issue. but yeah the older stuff which still has serial connectors is a pain in the arse unless you have an old laptop with native serial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Jaycar ones are pox, but plenty of other prolific chips work fine. Getting the correct driver is 99% of it though.
    This.
    Both the FT232R (FTDI) and PL2032 (Prolific) cables work fine if they use genuine ICs, and you use recent drivers.

There are cheap Chinese copies of both the FTDI and Prolific chips.

cunt
    You have to understand how serial works and setup the parity, bit stop, control and speed then it's all happy days
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...