Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU Tunes and Installs

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    +3. I haven't come across a dongle I couldn't get to work in 5 minutes.

It is a lot easier now with the internet at the ready wherevever you go though.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Did you get sketchys running?
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Not me personally, but it runs from what I hear?

Are you bringing yours around?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by XFJET View Post
    You have to understand how serial works and setup the parity, bit stop, control and speed then it's all happy days
    No, normally you don't.
    I haven't come across any RS232 device for a very long time that uses anything other than the default stop bits, parity, and flow control.
    Also changing baud rate in the control panel->device options does absolutely squat. The software you use overrides it, so it has no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    Have you had any experience with mega-squirt ECUs? a mate just built one and likes it, but if an ECU 3 times the price is 3 times as good i'm probably better off getting one of them.
    Main thing that puts me off the MS3 after my experience with them is its a complete DIY system. You have to manually calculate your trigger angles and offets etc (im a bit lazy). Most other non-diy ECUs have all this pre calibrated with just a drop down menu for the trigger system. Also, i built my MS3 so not sure if a fuked something up haha
    Last edited by nuk1ear; 11-06-15 at 05:14 PM.

I have a ms2, plenty of default trigger options to pick from.

Getting someone to touch one is the hard bit

Did another quick road tune on some random toymodder's ecu today. He had paid two professional shops previously for a tune and said the car was fucking woeful to drive so I said I would take a look. For some reason they did a VE TPS based tune, which on a ITB 4AG with cams is next to useless, as the manifold vacuum is very flakey. Just slightly cracking the throttle where it doesnt even read 1% on the TPS will get you up to 80kPa from a 60kPa idle, so the AFRs were all over the shop in the low load section.

Cunt was idling at 10:1 AFR and the rpm spacing in the tune was in 500rpm increments, on a 4A with cams and ITBS!!! Impossible to get a consistent afr at low revs/throttle openings with such little tuning resolution. and the ignition timing - fuck me. He was complaining that at low speed the car would surge and buck and carry on to the point of being undrivable at under 2000rpm.. At 1000rpm and 0 throttle it was 10 degrees, then at 1500rpm it went to 30 degrees at zero throttle, 40 degrees at 6% throttle, and 29 degrees at 12% throttle, and then the rest of the map looked like they had just thrown a couple of numbers in without any effort actually trying to tune it. No wonder it ran like an absolute heap if he tried cruising at low speed.

The mind boggles.

You add a vacuum pump for that I'm told.,.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

But Bro, its about the max power dyno graph bro.

Oo___oO

Today I spent a bit of time on the 1JZ getting it tuned up. While tuning I was taking a log so that I can utilize the data to produce some safety related functions in the ECU. We are heading to the dyno in a few days to really lean(wow pun) on it and I'll feel better knowing if I forget to check something constantly, the ECU has my back. This looks a little complicated, however, the steps I take with software can be done with a coaster and a lead pencil. The beauty of how this will be setup is in the much better safety for the engine. Typical engine protection is setup with a pressure switch, lets say on oil. This switch has to cope with idle oil pressure so is set to say 20psi. Once up in the revs, 20psi doesn't work very well but the ECU can't know any better, where as this sort of setup detailed below give a much better safety cushion for the engine.

I have programmed the ECU to flash, as seen in here in a previous post (youtube clip).
    http://performanceforums.com/forums/...#post842364681

Now I would like to set up some conditions to trigger the various flashing, but in order to do it, we are going to need some baseline readings and tables to trigger events. I start with our 15 minute datalog of tuning. One thing tuning can't vary (LOL well maybe in some cases) is the oil pressure. Pressure is governed by RPM and temperature. As an exercise in matlab (math based computer language) I import the log data and start to manipulate it in order to work out exactly what I want from it.

I take from my datalog the 3 things I need to produce an "Healthy" oil pressure chart which I can then compare to actual oil pressure and trigger a light if there is any deviation. The 2d chart shows all oil pressure samples against rpm, the 3d shows temp as the y axis for reference. This would have looked better if it was a datalog from cold, but you get the picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil1.PNG 
Views:	30 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	84359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	84360

We then create a 3d table in the ECU. The logged values are then used, with a little lower readings to avoid nuisance trips. Then a comparitor to evaluate the live value against the tabled value to trigger the CEL if below.

Name:	oil2.PNG 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	84357Name:  oil3.PNG
Views: 683
Size:  9.0 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil3.PNG 
Views:	28 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	84362

Fuel pressure is done in a similar manner, but fuel pressure is not affected by RPM, more so by MAP. See charts of MAP vs Fuel Pressure. The 3D blob is movable, which makes it a very useful tool in this process. The 2d chart shows predominately a straight line graph, with some stray squiggles which will cause nuisance alarms if we use a simple comparitor this time. To avoid these stray squiggles alarming, I might put a alarm only if above 150kPaA or so

Name:	fuel2.PNG 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	84355

Name:	fuel1.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	84356

Using a base pressure of 42 psi, we calculate that to bar (which is 100kpa) by dividing the psi reading by 14.5. We get 2.88 bar as base pressure. Base pressure can also be observed by looking at the 100kpa mark on the graph and then the LHS axis should tell you approximately what fuel pressure is. This stock fuel pressure regulator looks to be a 1:1, so any vacuum or boost should affect fuel pressure linearly. From this we can deduce that actual fuel pressure = 288-(100 - MAP). So at atmospheric pressure (100kpa) we have 288 - (100 - 100) which equals 288 - 0. At 1 bar of boost we get fp= 288 - (100 - 200) which equals 288 + 100 all in kpa. The log graphs agree

Name:	Fuel3.PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	84354

Then we write the logic. The keen observer might notice that in to some of the logic blocks as an input I have used another logic block with a select-able number, while others are a straight number. The reason for this is, when using a "constant" function block and feeding that to the comparitor allows you to modify it on the fly without stop downloading the ECU. It also builds that value as a selector on your simple view to change even easier See 100 constant straight in to block where as 0.14 is a "constant" funtion block

Name:	Fuel4.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	84353

I will continue to build this logic up to cover things like AFR warnings(blocked injector/fuel problems etc), turbo over speed(boost pipe loose). Here is a pic of the car now the install is complete and we were tuning.

Name:	IMG_20150613_150056.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	84361
    Jason Broadhurst

That's one clean soarer!!
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

fucken love the capability of the 1280.

Today I finally got some time to check out the problems Damian is having with his 2JZ Supra.

Name:	IMG_20150704_170134.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	313.3 KB 
ID:	84782

I've been asked to look at why this Toyota Supra will not start reliably when hot. Typically, this is a simple case of adjusting ECU parameters for ECT correction and a few other fuel related settings for cranking. Very peculiarly the engine is fine to bump start and will restart hot any time pushed or rolled.

First of all, I had to warm it up. Worst task for the day
    During this warm up, I took some time to adjust ECT corrections and try make the pig idle. There is no idle valve installed, so I will go in to how I manage a nice idle cold and hot in a later post. While warm, I spend a further hour fiddling with idle fueling, timing, injection angle etc to get it to key start and not hunt - you're welcome damo.

I then checked ignition and injection on the scope. You can see the bottom line is injection, at approx 1.2ms. The top line is ignition with a dwell measurable at roughly 2.5ms. Of course this lines up with set values in the ecu and measured final injector duty, like it should.

Name:	IMG_20150704_165944.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	419.9 KB 
ID:	84780

Name:	IMG_20150704_165955.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	84781

What I found, is that the ECU isn't outputting and injection or ignition pulses. The lines on the scope represent injection(bot) and ignition(top). Quite clearly working fine when the engine is cold, however during hot cranking, are not measured. This leads me further upstream towards the ECU hardware. I haven't had much time today to look at it, but tomorrow I plan to look further in to it. Even a working hot start (rare and random so far) doesn't get injection or ignition pulses during during the majority of cranking and then finally once it does, the engine leaps to life.

Progress report tomorrow or monday

Jason Broadhurst

IT p0rn there :P a Dell D610?

Its my PC that I put under the seat and rdp to from my good laptop.
    Jason Broadhurst

Thanks Jas, this sort of stuff is cracka rage quit inducing. Glad I've got someone like you to help..

PS skid pics not loading. I don't want those rear tyres anymore. Feel free to do the needy.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Thanks Jas, this sort of stuff is cracka rage quit inducing. Glad I've got someone like you to help..
    Yep. Would not believe the hiding quirks in my setup. A carby would be infinitely better at the moment I'm very close to actually making a choke cable for cold starts for my efi iacv engine...
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

I'm feeling your pain cracka. Couldn't pin point the problem today, but I'll stick with it.
    Jason Broadhurst

could it be cam angle sensor going crappy with heat?

Haltech would show that though wouldn't it? ^

might not be sending a signal to the ecu when hot

I fixed a 2J earlier this week with similar starting problems, only the trigger signal was erratic when really cold and fine when hot. Turned out the engine loom (JZX90 1J loom that was used on a big single 2J setup) had the internal foil shielding for the CAS wires perish on the hot side of the bay. Replaced the wires with some nice new shielded twisted pair Tefzel and it's now perfect. That had an Adap 440 on it, I was wondering if it would have been able to be tuned around on another ECU where you can change the trigger arming thresholds but much easier to replace the dodgy loom section.

I've seen others where the 20 year old JZ reluctor pickups get a bit flaky when really hot

It seems to be fine with the bonnet open, releasing engine bay heat. Then once the bonnet is down it is more frequent. The haltech has an error light for when CAS isn't being picked up, and it's showing healthy CAS x2 so I'll scope to be sure. CAS isn't consistant with the whole 'won't start while cranking, but can push start' thing either.

What's up with the power steering Damo?
    Last edited by Jason Broadhurst; 05-07-15 at 08:21 AM.
    Jason Broadhurst

more electrical noise through the loom when cranking v's when push starting?

Opens
    I like these issues. Love a challenge.
    Where are you attaching the scope? At the ECU or in the bay?

Power steering? Probably just toyo PS pump on its way out. Theyre cunts of things.

Issue I had was with crank trigger and alternator sense wire being run side by side. Must be some nuts emf going on. Wrapped earthing wire around sense wire and earthed to block at front and earth at back along with ecu signal grounds. That got rid of weird miss when alternator loaded up. Though I changed 5 things at once so it could of also been coils themselves having problem grounding.

is a 2j home trigger off cam pulley wheel? Oem or adjustable aftermarket thing? Might be something dumb like sensor standoff.

2J trigger wheel is mounted to the back of the timing belt crank sprocket with a reluctor pickup mounted in the oil pump housing below the alternator, plenty of opportunity for EMF

Maybe silly question but is the cranking voltage at the CAS and ECU consistent?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oo___oO