Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC machining

CNC machining

Anyone else do it?

I have around 12-13 years under my belt of running CNC's. I currently have a large machine (2000x830 bed) and get some weird and wonderful jobs through the door, have made things from the likes of a billet ally engine cradle for WW2 fighter, all the way down to a custom BBQ hotplate but mainly a lot of industrial type stuff also spme cool stuff like PLAYA & TK's closed deck EJ

just thought I'd post some pics of stuff I have made while my machine is running, anyone else feel free to add.

custom KE10 RCA's

ally boot floor for a '34 ford coupe

these I made for PLAYA

jumbo sized cogs I machined a while back
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cog.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	83729

and getting a finish grind to thickness

Name:	cog2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	83730

a couple small dies I machined up for a customer beggining middle and end product

Last edited by tc josh; 11-05-15 at 04:03 PM.

Sometimes cut up a bit of plastic too, messy shit

I'll add some pics of some of the better jobs I get if I can find any

Meh
    Nice!

Cut something like this be possible?

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=62867

Besides the obvious the drawing being wrong. Any other issues?

Do you want them to work?

Anything is possible, i imagine it would be time consuming hence bloody expensive to make not including material costs for a 1 off.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_cow View Post
    Cut something like this be possible?

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=62867

Besides the obvious the drawing being wrong. Any other issues?
    Why would you? The hard part would be the steel liner with the special hard chrome plating. I believe people are now re-plating factory housings now anyway. And a bit of devcon never hurt a rotor.

You could just make it from steel and plate it.

The old man has 2 cnc mazak lathes and a mazak mill. He used to have a small hitachi-seiki mill which i spent ages learning how to program using G-Code. I machined up an alternator bracket which would have been pretty good except i put in one wrong coordinate and chewed into itself. That mill wasnt large enough so he traded that in on a big old mazak V-20. I haven't had a chance to learn the mazak control language and i hear a lot of people hate it but it suits the old man fine as he just does big simple stuff.

Edit: This is the sort of stuff he does. Cuts out the plate with the oxy and machines holes and other details. for reference that plate is 90mm thick.
    Last edited by Commotion; 12-05-15 at 03:46 PM.

^^ That type of thing is pretty much what i spend most of my time doing, we also have a large oxy table and high def plasma.

My mill is a mazak, first time i used mazatrol was when we bought this machine 7 years ago. Its pretty simple to pick up but only really for basic jigging and simple square/round pockets etc, anything more complicated then that i will do through powermill on the computer. Only had 2 big crashes in 7 years so not doing too badly haha
    Last edited by tc josh; 12-05-15 at 03:59 PM.

Hey only bought them to try save money. The machining bill was huge so he went and bought a pair of used machines. Then he was having huge cutting bills so he went and bought a Cnc plasma/oxy. The only thing he has to outsource now is the press work for the plate but that's not as big a cost in comparison to outlay for a press big enough to do what he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    The old man has 2 cnc mazak lathes and a mazak mill. He used to have a small hitachi-seiki mill which i spent ages learning how to program using G-Code. I machined up an alternator bracket which would have been pretty good except i put in one wrong coordinate and chewed into itself. That mill wasnt large enough so he traded that in on a big old mazak V-20. I haven't had a chance to learn the mazak control language and i hear a lot of people hate it but it suits the old man fine as he just does big simple stuff.

Edit: This is the sort of stuff he does. Cuts out the plate with the oxy and machines holes and other details. for reference that plate is 90mm thick.
    That is going to make one fucking strong chain!
    2010 State Colouring in Champion

Hey only bought them to try save money. The machining bill was huge so he went and bought a pair of used machines. Then he was having huge cutting bills so he went and bought a Cnc plasma/oxy. The only thing he has to outsource now is the press work for the plate but that's not as big a cost in comparison to outlay for a press big enough to do what he needs.
    What sort of pressing is he doing? I was a labour at a steel fab place once I love this shit

He is making these things:

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	83751

Why don't u just go work at your old man's lol?

I would but there are other issues. He has spent 2 years focusing on perfecting the "product" instead of the "business" and is not in a strong position financially. He is trying to get investors on board to get a boost in capital so that the proper manufacturing planning, jigging and what not can be done to scale up manufacturing and try make money off it now that the design is mature. If he can secure the funds I would go and run the manufacturing but I'm not giving up my current job just yet.

I have a few Solidworks designs that I need to have machined up from billet aluminium so I can do some test fitting. I was originally going to go with Ariel, but he is too busy with his manifolds at the moment and isn't taking on additional CNC work.
    There are 3 designs, two can be done with a CNC lathe, the other will need a CNC mill.

Is there anyone on here that can help me out? Happy to pay, naturally.

He is making these things:

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	83751
    Tow behind scraper / leveler?

Post up pics of the design is easiest

What about all those plastic injection moulds josh lol

Yeah maybe a couple of them too, miss the days of 20 hour cutter paths.

Rx-2 strut tops I just finished making, think he's using s13 struts in it.

Those cogs you have photos of in the first post look like they are for chain. I'm surprised that they needed such a tight finish if so. I have previously designed a machine which had a 1.2m dia drum which was driven by triplex chain. I ended up just getting them water cut in 3 pieces and welded together. Machine seemed to work okay, they kept stretching the stainless chain but that was because the machine was being massively over loaded. We went to aqua chain eventually and they put the appropriate controls on the infeed and outfeed to the machine so it wasnt over loaded and it had no more issues.

I went and paid the old man a visit on the weekend and took some more photos of some of some machining related stuff.

He has had so many issues with hydraulic cylinders that he bought another cnc lathe purely to manufacture components.

This is the trusty old lathe which does the bulk of the turning:

and this is the mill:

The plasma/oxy has been playing up and he thinks its a controller issue so he is going to swap out the controller and try upgrade the software. Just random issues like cut two identical plates and one edge will be out by 10mm but everything else is spot on.

runner systems for a chocolate mould

cast alum die
    Last edited by tc josh; 18-05-15 at 01:12 PM.

How much is that mazak 30M? I cant even afford a simple lathe ATM lol.

Depends, prob 170k new now or more, I seen one of that vintage for sale for 80

Yep I think it was around that money playa. The machine is in real good shape. Hasn't done much work... Well not much compared to the other 2 machines.

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    Depends, prob 170k new now or more, I seen one of that vintage for sale for 80
    Yea sound's about right. I just like to see people that have this stuff as it motivates me to get a work shop one day. The biggest bit of equipment I got a price on was a hot wash for 10k I still cant afford that.

I bought a CMM from a joint and they had a new mazak lathe, cut cost them 350k they recon, had bar feeder, spindle with sub spindle, twin turret, parts catcher etc etc