Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: CNC machining

At mount isa mines there is a lathe and the chuck is over 2.5m in diameter, just an old manual thing, the workshop is fucking mental, I have to go scanning in there next week I'll try get a pic.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

There's is some big gear out there. The bigger they get the more is involved in mounting them. Our mill is only just sitting on the slab and not tied down like it's supposed to be. But that's much less involved when compared to what's required for a big press brake. We are looking at investing in a big press brake, something over 400 tonne and about 6.5m bed and u need to dig a big hole and drop em down into it. Im finding there are not many options on the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    At mount isa mines there is a lathe and the chuck is over 2.5m in diameter, just an old manual thing, the workshop is fucking mental, I have to go scanning in there next week I'll try get a pic.
    That makes some of the stuff at Heavy Mech on Grand Junction roads sound like toys.
    Come to think of it, are they still around?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Bed on my machine is 2000x 830. Piddly little thing compared to some of our customers stuff, but still bigger then most

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    That makes some of the stuff at Heavy Mech on Grand Junction roads sound like toys.
    Come to think of it, are they still around?
    Yes, we have some grinding in for them at the moment.

Heavy mech are still there

Good to hear.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Except they got bought out by E and A who are morons.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

This is our one. I think it's 1.2x2.4 but never bothered to measure it.
    we been a little quiet so I been doing some cleaning and tidying up of the machines. I got the guys to rip the chip conveyor out of our little deceased lathe and graph it into the coolant tank of the mill. Now I won't have to dig it all out by hand. Also got em to make a couple bottom dumping bins to make it easier. Next stage is to put half of a bit of 4 or 5" tube in the trough with an auger and ditch the dodgy flapper system it has.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6369.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	101091

Name:	IMG_6361.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	101092

Even gave the lathe a big clean up. Drained coolant tank and cleaned the growth out of it. Put all the panels and covers back on that had been removed and left off after previous repairs. Also found a parts catcher and grippex thingo buried away on some shelves. The milling attachments that were fitted were noisy and found on closer inspection there was heaps of play in the spindles. Swapped some other ones into the machine and got one of the lads to strip em down. One was rusty AF inside as it looks like a plug to the gearbox was missing and been getting full of water. Will inspect all the others next.

Name:	IMG_6360.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	101093

Any recommendation for mobs with a 3 axis that can do something that's approx 420mm x 300mm x 30mm?
    Preferably Melbourne, but at this point after having my time wasted by several mobs, I'm open to anywhere.

I'm in Brisbane so a little ways away but if u get stuck I may be able to look at it for u.

I downloaded fusion 360 30 day trial and been watching heaps of YouTube vids and playing around with it. Now I just have to figure out how to drip feed it into the mill. I was speaking to someone else with an old mazak who said they use cimco edit which we have. Just need to work out the specifics.