Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: CNC machining

At mount isa mines there is a lathe and the chuck is over 2.5m in diameter, just an old manual thing, the workshop is fucking mental, I have to go scanning in there next week I'll try get a pic.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

There's is some big gear out there. The bigger they get the more is involved in mounting them. Our mill is only just sitting on the slab and not tied down like it's supposed to be. But that's much less involved when compared to what's required for a big press brake. We are looking at investing in a big press brake, something over 400 tonne and about 6.5m bed and u need to dig a big hole and drop em down into it. Im finding there are not many options on the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    At mount isa mines there is a lathe and the chuck is over 2.5m in diameter, just an old manual thing, the workshop is fucking mental, I have to go scanning in there next week I'll try get a pic.
    That makes some of the stuff at Heavy Mech on Grand Junction roads sound like toys.
    Come to think of it, are they still around?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Bed on my machine is 2000x 830. Piddly little thing compared to some of our customers stuff, but still bigger then most

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    That makes some of the stuff at Heavy Mech on Grand Junction roads sound like toys.
    Come to think of it, are they still around?
    Yes, we have some grinding in for them at the moment.

Heavy mech are still there

Good to hear.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Except they got bought out by E and A who are morons.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

This is our one. I think it's 1.2x2.4 but never bothered to measure it.
    we been a little quiet so I been doing some cleaning and tidying up of the machines. I got the guys to rip the chip conveyor out of our little deceased lathe and graph it into the coolant tank of the mill. Now I won't have to dig it all out by hand. Also got em to make a couple bottom dumping bins to make it easier. Next stage is to put half of a bit of 4 or 5" tube in the trough with an auger and ditch the dodgy flapper system it has.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6369.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	101091

Name:	IMG_6361.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	101092

Even gave the lathe a big clean up. Drained coolant tank and cleaned the growth out of it. Put all the panels and covers back on that had been removed and left off after previous repairs. Also found a parts catcher and grippex thingo buried away on some shelves. The milling attachments that were fitted were noisy and found on closer inspection there was heaps of play in the spindles. Swapped some other ones into the machine and got one of the lads to strip em down. One was rusty AF inside as it looks like a plug to the gearbox was missing and been getting full of water. Will inspect all the others next.

Name:	IMG_6360.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	101093

Any recommendation for mobs with a 3 axis that can do something that's approx 420mm x 300mm x 30mm?
    Preferably Melbourne, but at this point after having my time wasted by several mobs, I'm open to anywhere.

I'm in Brisbane so a little ways away but if u get stuck I may be able to look at it for u.

I downloaded fusion 360 30 day trial and been watching heaps of YouTube vids and playing around with it. Now I just have to figure out how to drip feed it into the mill. I was speaking to someone else with an old mazak who said they use cimco edit which we have. Just need to work out the specifics.

So peoples. Although ive used 3 axis CNCs before, can do the design/drafting side of it etc, Ive got no idea what it would cost to actually get stuff made in the real world. So school me

I have an engine which has precisely 3/5ths of fuck all aftermarket support. The off-the-shelf DCOE manifolds are absolute shite and cost a disproportionate amount for what is essentially a 30mm thick piece of aluminium with holes cut and drilled into it, and arent really suitable for the sort of throttle bodies i have anyway. Making something up seems to be the path to take, which has me considering one of two options:

Having inlet flanges machined out of alloy approx double the thickness a normal flange would be, with port taper and injector seat/mount machined in to flange

OR

Complete inlet manifold machined, including flange to head and flange to throttle body, runner, injector mount and linkage mounts. See image shamelessly stolen off internet for a different engine for a rough idea of what i want to do

How feasible [or rather cost prohibitive] are either options, assuming I provided the file for it [assuming its STL?]

Sorry to sound like a retard.

N-

I been teaching myself how to program the lathe using the mazatrol language. Although the mill and lathe are both mazak there is a much greater difference with programming than I would have thought. It's good to feel I have some form of understanding now.

Name:	IMG_6767.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	101995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6766.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	101996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6516.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	101997

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    So peoples. Although ive used 3 axis CNCs before, can do the design/drafting side of it etc, Ive got no idea what it would cost to actually get stuff made in the real world. So school me

I have an engine which has precisely 3/5ths of fuck all aftermarket support. The off-the-shelf DCOE manifolds are absolute shite and cost a disproportionate amount for what is essentially a 30mm thick piece of aluminium with holes cut and drilled into it, and arent really suitable for the sort of throttle bodies i have anyway. Making something up seems to be the path to take, which has me considering one of two options:

Having inlet flanges machined out of alloy approx double the thickness a normal flange would be, with port taper and injector seat/mount machined in to flange

OR

Complete inlet manifold machined, including flange to head and flange to throttle body, runner, injector mount and linkage mounts. See image shamelessly stolen off internet for a different engine for a rough idea of what i want to do

How feasible [or rather cost prohibitive] are either options, assuming I provided the file for it [assuming its STL?]

Sorry to sound like a retard.

N-
    Upto A few grand I'd say from my very limited experience
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Well I have been learning heaps more with fusion 360. The assembly side of things confuses me still but I'm getting a pretty good grasp on the cam side. I had a crack at the turning functions and programmed up a part only to find out our sqt30m has no ISO/eia support, that and their appears to be mill turn post processors anyway. Oh well it actually took me less time to program it in mazatrol but good to know for future use. Another unfortunate turn of events, stripped the mill down to fix a slide lube problem and found the turcite on the beds is worn bad, hence the lack of grooves and no oil on the beds. Also found a bunch of other minor stuff wrong which will get fixed. Hopefully won't take too long to get back up and running. I'm keen to try run some parts I been playing with.

Bit of a thread bump. Have successfully drip fed the mill with some code and made some stuff.

Spent a lot of money getting the mill rebuilt. All the turcite relaced and machined. I spent some time playing with the backlash settings and got it running pretty sweet now. I thought it was just the cheap Ebay 3D edge finder but turns out the backlash settings on mill have always been out. Nice round holes now.

Name:	9CCA4957-AEFB-4C53-B9D1-7AC41BA8975D.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	103305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8CD15BD5-45AD-44BC-8185-02A7AC5E4F71.jpeg 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	103306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E74F5857-2ADC-4C19-856F-649EA9432D8C.jpeg 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	103307

Very cool. Is it not possible to upgrade the controller?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Apparently there is significant cost in that. There is not real loss in no iso on the lathe. The t plus controller is new enough that itís pretty easy to use. If it had a y axis then there would be real advantage in doing the programming in CAM software but unfortunately no y axis.

The mill is too old and slow to go spending money on a new controller. It only has a spindle speed of 3150rpm so with a 3mm end mill max vc is 30m/min. It took 15 min to machine that lot of aluminium enclosure ends. They are for some electrical devices we sell so they will be a constant thing. If we get some of the overseas scraper orders we have quoted I would like to try justify getting a small mill. Maybe something with high spindle speeds and quick rapids and 4th axis would be nice. Might be a bit tricky right now as we just ordered a new 630t x 6200 press brake so probably gonna have to get that up and generating some income first.

What about an air powered high speed head? I recall us resorting to that at redflow, don't recall the detail of it well enough though.

Are parts still available for that Mazak mill controller? I haven't seen many of those controllers or mills still in active use. DC or AC servos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    the only decent six pot holden ever put in a car was the nissan RB30

We have a repair tech who has a graveyard of old mazak stuff. Mill has DC servo drives. We just wrecked our old mazak st28m but unfortunately it has ac servo drives but not the same as the sqt30m so pretty much useless for spares. The old mill has been pretty reliably electrically. Only electrical issue has been the bubble memory. Only real issues we have had have been mechanical issues from wear and tear due to age.

The newer lathe has had a few electrical gremlins. Recently all caps on a board in operator control box had to be replaced as it was spazín the machine out causing it to randomly keep cycling tool turret. Had the c axis encoder box die bout 12 months ago and repair guys ones didnít work cause for some reason this one was slightly different and had to get new box from Japan.

The fun and games with old gear I guess.

Just keep an eye out at the auctions with everyone going broke there will be some good stuff
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

I wish we could afford another machine right about now, I have been turning a small amount of work away as we have too much and I hate it. Might look around in to the new year

Move mine to your workshop?
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

What happened to those cnc subie (?) blocks you were doing playa? Or were you only doing the design and contract out the machining?

Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    I have a hard polypropylene 100x70x60 design I need machined up in quantities of 100's. Who here would look at the design and offer a quote? It's not automotive but a housing for proprietary electronics.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    What happened to those cnc subie (?) blocks you were doing playa? Or were you only doing the design and contract out the machining?

I did the machining on those for him, we only did one set. Still have the subplates and programs sitting at work.

I did one for TK then took 18 months to get paid and never heard anything after that, if I ever get time I'll design up a SR20 block that I have scanned.

Mind you I have been getting paid practice doing industrial gearbox housings so I don't think the SR20 is going to be very hard.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Probationarily unbanned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    I have a hard polypropylene 100x70x60 design I need machined up in quantities of 100's. Who here would look at the design and offer a quote? It's not automotive but a housing for proprietary electronics.
    http://amtyandina.com/ - Talk to Trevor. Good bloke, had/has a group Nc torana.

http://frontlinemanufacturing.com.au/ Have only had brief dealings with these guys, but seemed competent.
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

I have had dealings with frontline. Prices werenít too crash hot and one lot of parts they had to rework cause they werenít to the drawings but apart from that they were fine. Iím sure they would be able to sort u out.