Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 427

Thread: CNC machining

  1. #391
    BLING BLING PLAYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    6,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Ben can't do it, tools are booked out for months.
    Is this like a business thing or for you personally
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

  2. #392
    V4 Goodness Kris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,844
    For me personally. Remaking a damaged part on my bike

  3. #393
    Opens
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,195
    Making something to hold it and probably a couple of set-ups for a onesie project, won't make it cheap, unobtanium team piece I assume?

    Could try Wayne, if you want to make a trek out to the badlands again, to see if he has any interest and what he'd charge 4587-9733.

  4. #394
    Opens
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    9,241
    Name:  6ABF6A3D-F094-41DC-B251-1610C8303F77.png
Views: 392
Size:  33.5 KBGuys, I donít know a lot about much. If a drawing was supplied, could this be Cnc cut?

    Iíd be looking to make approx 50. Itís a helical gear for a distributor

  5. #395
    Chopped BigMuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Eastern Australia
    Posts
    12,370
    Pretty specialised tooling or an old guy who knows his shit with a powered indexing head. It's a big ask, try to buy one as a spare part from holley or someone.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

  6. #396
    BLING BLING PLAYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    6,044
    Yea but gear cutting is a bit special anyway, 5 axis can do it but that is not how the pros do it, they use more specialised machines, sometimes they are hobbed or ground or machined.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

  7. #397
    Opens
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    9,241
    So not straight forward? Thanks for the insight guys

  8. #398
    Ease Up Turbo Commotion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bogan City
    Posts
    824
    I had ABCO in Archerfield cut me some pinions on their cnc gear and get it heat treated for me. There was 8 of them tho, not many companies will undertake a one off.

  9. #399
    Registered User John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,172
    We mill gears, it's common enough on special stuff, and where the ends justify the high cost versus traditional gear manufacturing methods of hobbing, shaping, skiving, and grinding.

    There are a few options for you for 50off; if it's a standard module, you could get them hobbed at quite low cost and this is where I'd start. Milling them is going to be expensive. As muz said, an old guy in a shed might be an option, or if you go to a modern workshop with better gear (although you only need 4 axis, not 5) you'll be needing to provide them a model of it, and that might be tricky for you if you are reverse engineering something.

    Another option, although probably getting a bit upmarket is to find someone with gear generating capabilities on a lathe. I know Holinger have Okuma's that can do this, there are probably others also. This would be a good way to go because they can be made in one hit, and 50off they might even be interested.
    "What in the gay caped fuck is that?" by Shonky

  10. #400
    Chopped BigMuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Eastern Australia
    Posts
    12,370
    Just measuring it is a big deal unfortunately, it's not a straight forward thing to make. Find something else that uses the same or similar gear is my genuine suggestion.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

  11. #401
    Opens
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    9,241
    I basically want to copy that Nissan gear but extend the shaft and change the bore diameter.

    Iíve have a good look and I canít find a Ďoff the shelfí option

  12. #402
    BLING BLING PLAYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    6,044
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    We mill gears, it's common enough on special stuff, and where the ends justify the high cost versus traditional gear manufacturing methods of hobbing, shaping, skiving, and grinding.

    There are a few options for you for 50off; if it's a standard module, you could get them hobbed at quite low cost and this is where I'd start. Milling them is going to be expensive. As muz said, an old guy in a shed might be an option, or if you go to a modern workshop with better gear (although you only need 4 axis, not 5) you'll be needing to provide them a model of it, and that might be tricky for you if you are reverse engineering something.

    Another option, although probably getting a bit upmarket is to find someone with gear generating capabilities on a lathe. I know Holinger have Okuma's that can do this, there are probably others also. This would be a good way to go because they can be made in one hit, and 50off they might even be interested.
    Modelling gears is not that hard, there are plug ins to Solidworks that do this, from what I have been told this is how most of the gear guys are doing in. I know a guy who was involved in making a lambo gearset for an Aus company. Anyway the plug in is like only 1000 or something so not that out there.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

  13. #403
    Registered User John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,172
    um yeah modelling is not the tricky bit, knowing what parameters to put in however....
    "What in the gay caped fuck is that?" by Shonky

  14. #404
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    300,087
    If you are copying the Nissan gear, could you not just send a sample to somewhere like Gearco or Ronson Gears and ask them to quote for 50 off? Include a drawing showing all your other requirements without the gear detail if this is unknown. They will be able to measure the gear to machine it.

    No idea who to recommend in Brisbane though.

  15. #405
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Guys, I donít know a lot about much. If a drawing was supplied, could this be Cnc cut?

    Iíd be looking to make approx 50. Itís a helical gear for a distributor
    Call Hardman Bros. in Vic and have a quick chat about what it might cost you. could definitely make it, cost I donít know.

    http://www.hardmanbros.com.au/
    Last edited by Ned Loh; 21-03-18 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Add link

  16. #406
    V4 Goodness Kris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by gxxr View Post
    Making something to hold it and probably a couple of set-ups for a onesie project, won't make it cheap, unobtanium team piece I assume?

    Could try Wayne, if you want to make a trek out to the badlands again, to see if he has any interest and what he'd charge 4587-9733.
    Wayne... ? Yep, unobtanium

  17. #407
    Opens
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Wayne... ? Yep, unobtanium
    This one's out at South Windsor....so not quite as far as before! Sort of recall he mentioned he had a waterjet last time I spoke to him - which was quite a while back - basic shape cut out and the features added manually might be another way perhaps?

  18. #408
    Opens
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    9,241
    called and emailing them for a guestimation of cost. if under $100 ea the project is viable.

  19. #409
    V4 Goodness Kris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by gxxr View Post
    This one's out at South Windsor....so not quite as far as before! Sort of recall he mentioned he had a waterjet last time I spoke to him - which was quite a while back - basic shape cut out and the features added manually might be another way perhaps?
    haha roger! That said Brian @ Glossodia is a legend - guru! He's made me some very nice items, including a titanium steering stem. I just wanted something a bit swifter this time around

  20. #410
    Registered User tc josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    414
    Designed by Playa machined by me, SR20 flex plate. Terrible quality pics I know

    Name:  flex2.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  63.6 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	flex1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	105373Name:  flex3.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  67.3 KB

  21. #411
    Registered User tc josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    414
    Have also over the past few months been doing a lot of the machining of the main bodies of the arms for Acostal https://www.facebook.com/acostaldev/ Some pretty cool kit if your in to drifting nissans.

    Name:  LCA.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  91.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	LCAa.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	105377




    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caster.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	105378


  22. #412
    Chopped BigMuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Eastern Australia
    Posts
    12,370
    Awesome work man, wow.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

  23. #413
    Opens
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    9,241
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    called and emailing them for a guestimation of cost. if under $100 ea the project is viable.
    Hardman Bros got back to me. $30-$40 per unit depending on exact QTY. its go time!

  24. #414
    Non Compos Mentos Gammaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    15,636
    Nice!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

  25. #415
    Ease Up Turbo Commotion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bogan City
    Posts
    824
    Press is finally up and running. Still a sh!t fight over tooling. What was quoted and invoiced was not what was supplied. Two of the vee dies are now damaged. One damaged on arrival the other damaged by the installers during setup. A replacement was air freighted Over and should be arriving tomorrow. But the combination of dies still doesnít allow us to press all the drawings we sent to them on day one.

    I did get half a days training so that in combination with reading the manual has allowed me to press a couple parts to get us out of trouble. Did a couple parts this morning which involved bumping to form a larger radius. Chewed through a few bits of scrap until I had it dialed. Hopefully Will have some more training soon after the new tool arrives.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	681C0AFF-92F7-4E59-865D-8DAA21DBCCCC.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	106685

  26. #416
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,173
    F! When your press has an access ladder with safety cage on the side to reach the top, you know its probably large enough.

  27. #417
    Registered User GSRman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Caught in the ACT
    Posts
    17,019
    I'm im-pressed.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

    PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

  28. #418
    Registered User GSRman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Caught in the ACT
    Posts
    17,019
    holy ass -

    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

    PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

  29. #419
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    507
    anyone around Sydney that can do some surface grinding of a part?
    its a small 50 mm x 40 mm x 3.45 mm hardened steel plate that needs to be ground down to 3.30 mm.
    i was thinking a linisher would work then hand lapping but probably wont retain the required precision (parallelism)
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

  30. #420
    Registered User tc josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    414
    send it to me in Adelaide and I'll do it for nothing (we are predominately a grinding shop) just including a paid envelop or bag so I can send it back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •