Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: '93 S10 Parts Hauler

Bought a ton of shit from RockAuto today that this build has been waiting on, will be placing the Summit Racing order tonight.

My winter employer is doing the new Holley Carburator Control Tower at the National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park, so income is steady once more

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Summit Racing now owns part of my soul...I chose to plumb in AN fittings this time...

Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Summit Racing now owns part of my soul...I chose to plumb in AN fittings this time...
    Don't feel alone buddy. Considering how much other members on this forum have spent at Summit, I believe they have a plaque on the wing of their main office with the PF logo.

Bad part is all the Summit Racing, Earls, Jegs, Holley, and one more are all made here in town. All those brands of AN fittings are produced here at the Holley plant. They are all the same parts made on the same machines, and if I could break away from work I could just go buy them at scrap weight...

Bad part is all the Summit Racing, Earls, Jegs, Holley, and one more are all made here in town. All those brands of AN fittings are produced here at the Holley plant. They are all the same parts made on the same machines, and if I could break away from work I could just go buy them at scrap weight...

Have you thought about doing this anyway and selling to every cunt on PF? Christ, pay a local kid $50 bucks to pick up everything you need each time and set up your own black market fittings racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

All I have to do is go down to Tim's salvage yard and buy them by the cubic yard. Most of them are rejects from the anodizing process or the thread root is the wrong profile or something.

What's the going rate for a cube of fittings?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Have you thought about doing this anyway and selling to every cunt on PF? Christ, pay a local kid $50 bucks to pick up everything you need each time and set up your own black market fittings racket.
    Xnke, wanna make some spare cash? Do this in a small batch and see if the lads here will by some. Sneaking suspicion is they will.

Currently 6061 is selling at 88c/lb, so a cube I'd guess at 480$.

Will call Tim Monday and ask him to hold a few for me, if he has any. I mean it is a scrap yard, he sells almost as fast as it comes in.

That should be telling your something.

I wouldn't go overboard to start with, but I think your going to sell a few here.

Yeh, seconds hose fittings sounds like an incredibly good idea.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

They are all CNC'd, th worst that happens is shit anodizing. I have seen the blue fittings be closer to purple, or black fittings that were splotchy.

The thread root is radiused, but if someone picked the wrong thread tool for a V thread then they scrap those too.

I went by today and he only had some 24AN pieces that were beat up pretty bad, told him to calle when he gets some smaller ones in.

Drilled and tapped the right side cylinder head to fit the accessory drive-will need some thread sealer to keep coolant from leaking, but so do half the bolts in the front of this engine. Will probably just glue a stud the right length into place and call it good.

Also trimmed up some bits here and there, found that a 4x4 gen2 S10 has a nifty remote oil filter bracket/oil thermostat so I bought one of those. 45$ ain't bad, just gotta come up with a plate to bolt to the spot on the block for the original filter relocator. (I am not sure that the trucks or F-body cars ever had the filter actually on the block.)

I intend to finish up the heads tomarrow, and get them torqued onto the block. I am working out of town lately, so I'll be gone all week again.

Didn't finish the heads, but I did make an oil take-off plate to feed the cooler, filter, and pressure sending unit.

Also bolted the heads to the still bagged engine, and assembled the intake/blower case on it. No gaskets, so nothing really fits perfect but it is close enough for clearance checks. Alternator is 3mm off the valve cover, but it clears. Started the pie cuts for the throttle body tube, trying to do it with a mandrel bend would be almost as many cuts anyway.

Hopefully I will be able to get some major things done this month, like get the intake tube on the blower and braced properly, get the cam in place and measure for pushrods.

Things left to buy:
    Pushrods
    More plumbing parts (hoses, hose end fittings)
    Intercooler pump
    Some idler Pulleys
    Last edited by Xnke; 19-10-15 at 01:00 PM.

The shortblock is all but assembled, waiting on the cam to show up and a new crankshaft key. Once I have those two items then everything from the heads down can be assembled.

In the meantime, the bottom end is in a bag, the heads are bolted on straight through the bag in the photos below. I am checking clearances and have been working on the throttle body inlet tube.

This is the new threaded hole in the head for the power steering bracket-it's level with the old hole but moves over about 15mm.

It's not blind though, so thread sealant is required here. I will probably just bond in a stud.

The camaro alternator mount already has a blind hole in it that just needs to be drilled through, and it'll bolt up to the GenIII/IV cylinder heads. I'm lucky I had a set of GenII valve covers, because the alternator-to-valve cover clearance is TIGHT.

Really, really tight. May need some additional clearancing later when all the gaskets get fitted up. Only about 3mm there now, and I'll loose 1.5mm total when all the gaskets go on.

Here's the intake mocked up on the heads, I am trying to work out where I want the throttle body to sit in this photo. I've got that nailed down, but it will take some work to get the pipe snaked in the way I want. It's going to take a lot of cuts no matter what, so I chose not to cut up the 3" aluminum bend I bought for this and I'll just lobsterback it.

I am almost done with the cylinder heads, then I can bolt them down on the block with the headgaskets this time.
    Last edited by Xnke; 20-10-15 at 02:42 PM.

Fucked around with this a little tonight.

Managed to cut up some pipe.

Still need to bring the flange down about 20mm and forward 30mm, but it's closer. Also need to make a pair of aluminum v-band flanges. This intake tube is just too long and thin to make an integral part of the blower case, the chances of a vibration-induced fatigue fracture are too great. A simple bracket that bolts to the intake manifold, plus the v-band flanges, would be able to eliminate this problem.

Nice work mate.

Why couldnt you just run a support brace/strap across to the back of the blower from the throttle body flange? Surely that would support the pipework enough to prevent issues.

EDIT: just re-read the last line of your post. Bracket is the way forward for sure.

Got a little time to do some work the other day.

Learned that deciding to work on the car after putting in a 14 hour workday is just not a great plan.

Started welding up the intake tube-the tubing I cut up was only 1.2mm or so in wall thickness, I got scared of burn thru so welds aren't as nice as they could be. Meh, I can't see it with the hood closed, even with the big-ass cowl it's gonna need.

As you can see I did get it moved down and in the last little bit, it's in the right spot now.

This, this is the bolt boss that used to hold the coil pack in place. I've chosen it as the new bracing point.

About right here is where I realized that not only is the throttle body mounting plate that I cut out two weeks ago not symmetrical, but that I have welded it to the intake tube wrong-way around. Too late now. The section uncovered isn't critical anyway, it's a section of the throttle I'm not using and it's totally sealed off. Still sore over it.

Here's the original northstar throttle bracket, bolted up. With the unmodified bracket, cruise control would be possible...but I modded the bracket due to the throttle cable being too close to the alternator plug for my liking. I can always pick up another bracket and mod it to use the cruise if I wanted too. My truck doesn't even have it fitted...but I might buy one later that does.

Yes, my phone camera sometimes is actually a potato. Sorry.

The T-bolt clamp above will get replaced with a proper flange at some point. The heads come off for the final scrub-up and valve check, then assembly and everything except the rocker arms and pushrods will get fitted and bolted up to the block, so I can get the engine sealed up properly.

Started on cleaning up some electrical connectors. I don't want to just splice stuff in, I think it looks shoddy and even though I do it when I just can't get connector pins (or I just reclaim the pins) I don't want to do it here.

So I bought a few handfuls of connectors at the parts yard, and de-pinned them. Then I bought two bin boxes and a bunch of brand new pins. Some haven't shown up yet but they're for the injector clips anyway.

Other than work getting in the way, I've had a set of stainless headers that have to get finished very soon. I've got a few hours in on these, they're one-offs for a K20-Honda based custom head for the L-28 block in a 240Z, down in Florida.

More when I get around to it.

Good to see you progressing.

More info on the Honda twin cam frankenstein head for the L series please.

Other than work getting in the way, I've had a set of stainless headers that have to get finished very soon. I've got a few hours in on these, they're one-offs for a K20-Honda based custom head for the L-28 block in a 240Z, down in Florida.

More when I get around to it.
    more on this!!! pls

Well, we anticipate 600ft-lbs from a 2.8l when modestly boosted, so that should give you an idea. First engine will be a stock 2.8l block N/A though, so Datsunworks can get a good baseline.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/119641-twin-cam-head-for-the-l6-from-derek-at-datsunworks/page-27#entry1157820

Last edited by Xnke; 04-11-15 at 10:55 AM.

More header work.

This time, it's on my engine though, they're mild steel test headers. Once I can make sure this design fits and functions the way I want then I'll probably remake them in stainless.

Tight, tight, tight on the A/C compressor, not much way around it.

Have to maintain some room from the knock sensor and the crank position sensor on that second tube...CPS is not visible here.

This enormous starter motor is going away. I am considering just fucking off the solenoid and using a ford one, but it's almost as big as the cylinder head. Denso big block mini starter got ordered, and I will mod it if needed to fit. Standard SBC is 153 teeth on the flywheel, but straight-across starter bolts. BBC is 168 teeth, with offset bolts. V6-60 family has offset bolts in the BBC pattern, but a 148 tooth flywheel. I am hoping that I can shim/modify the new starter to work. If not, well, then I just need to build a BBC so I can use this starter.

The wire brush is laying on the two bellhousing bolt bosses, showing me where 25mm off the bellhousing is. I will still be able to route pipe within 10mm, this was just a quick way to get me in the ballpark.

Might get some more done on this today, might go to the gun range with my new toy.

Progress as it happens. (Is this a live update?)

Since these header tubes have to be over 40" long, and the total distance they have to travel changes by 11" from front to back, packaging is going to get interesting.

Here's where the passenger side (busy side) is at now:

Plan is to bring the rearmost tube out away from the head, forward toward the A/C compressor, and then rotated it down and back to lay in with the other two. Front cylinder will be riding on top in the middle of the other two.

Now since the local coating shop shut down I have to figure out who I want to coat these, since they're mild steel.
    Last edited by Xnke; 23-11-15 at 10:00 AM.

Working on that last tube:

Not quite right yet...

Was kinda overly focused and a bit tired so I forgot to take the rest of the photos. Here's a few shots on my kitchen table, I wasn't going back out to the shop tonight, temperature was too low. It was 38F/3.3C in the workshop for the last few hours.

Tomorrow night I plan to start the other three cylinders, which should be much easier to do, as there is not much on that side. Just have to miss the oil pressure sending unit, and keep them tight to the block and pretty much straight down.

Nice one

SO work sucks and I haven't really started the other header. I have fitted the cam and front timing cover, but the timing cover needs to be treated to all new bolts. I am not putting the nasty rusty ones back in.

I have the mock-up heads bolted to the block for now, I just picked up the new heads from the machine shop, they need a thorough scrubbing and then assembly. New oil pan showed up too, I have the oil filter adaptor plate machined and just need to pick up the fittings.

I get four days in a row off, but I really need to strip my datto's intake and exhaust off, drain the coolant and pull the thermo housing, and drop the frankenhead headers into the car for a test fit.

Tech overload. Envy the skilset you have obviously worked hard for. Well done.