Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435
Results 1,021 to 1,045 of 1045

Thread: Yet another PF kent buys a fancy Vee Dub

So another rally sprint last night and seems my arm was too short to reach the bottom of my talent bag and I came up empty handed. My luck ran out. Last run of the night, second last corner, tagged a kerb/island...pretty hard. Made a fair sausage out of the SSR rim. If I reached for the excuse book I would say my rear tyres were shagged, was struggling with over steer all night, I forgot to turn high beams on at start of run so vision was limited but I didn't pick up on it, and a Mini had shat the bed and was pushed just off the course right on the apex of this said corner and was hiding in the dark. It seemed to jump out at me at the last minute, I ran slightly wide and tagged the traffic island with the rear right. Bit of lift off over steer. It didn't seem to bother anyone else so suck it up princess. Limped across the finish line. Still managed a top 10 finish for the night and a class win. But the car went home on the trailer. Thankfully the new Coleman esky I bought, old school steel one with bottle opener riveted to the side, was well stocked, so I had a few frothies to make me feel better about the world while my mate came down with his trailer to rescue me. Fkn top bloke that guy getting out of bed for that. As others have said, it could always have been worse.

So I have since pulled off the munted wheel and ran the car up on axle stands. I actually think the way the lip of the wheel gave way probably took some sting out of the impact. Drive shafts and hub face all seem to be running true. So hopefully its nothing more serious than the rim being fucked. Will have a closer look next week and I guess I will know when I try to align it. So stripped the tyre off as I was hoping to just order an outer lip. Seems SSR in their wisdom, weld the inners and outers together so they are essentially a 2 piece. So its a new 5" inner barrel and 6" outer lip on their way from the US. After market company knocks them out. (https://vrwheels.com/) Figured this would be faster and easier than dealing with SSR in Japan. And allegedly they are a lighter and stronger alloy. The centre disc is tip top, so hopefully they just bolt back together.

Wheel on the car.

Wheel on the bench.

Video to follow shortly. Did the old leave the camera running trick so waiting for it to upload so I can edit the 20 minutes of me standing around drinking beers out.

EDIT: and some Incarnage footage

Last edited by darkside; 09-02-19 at 05:21 PM.

Fuck dude you need a sign in the car telling you to turn the main beam on!

Sucks to hear but youíll have it perfect again in no time

Sucks to hear but you know Motorsports.

I can bring my dial indicator over if you want to check the hub?
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

If it's just the wheel not a bad outcome - not your first rodeo and it happens.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Fuck dude you need a sign in the car telling you to turn the main beam on!

Sucks to hear but youíll have it perfect again in no time
    Usually the Nav's job to remind the driver about lights and any other stage specific stuff to be switched on at 30 seconds to start.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Well his nav needs some performance management

It was just a joke because he did it at a previous event

Fuckin Minis.

Bugger it mate. Sorry to see. Glad it appears to be just a wheel. Bodywork sucks.

PS, that looks like a blast....

Ah, bugger. Saw you sliding on the very first run of the night under the bridge; your rear tyres were certainly phoning it in on the night looking at your video too. Times were looking red hot up till then too (I was phoning it in by then as well, had to take kids home).

We've all had a rim tweak or too around there, so you're in good/bad company. Too many kerbs, gonna happen one day. Managed to repair mine (Simmons 3 piece and soft alloy = straighten and buff out), but that ain't gonna buff out. That corner scares me going either way, especially at night when it's pitch black out there. Everytime I do it I curse myself for either :
    1) wussing out and not growing a pair or
    2)crap myself after sliding arse first towards that kerb!

Hope it's all straight otherwise.

I think I hit that same island in the Swift a few years back, but it was the Winter event so no excuses with lights.

You got off lightly with just a rim, Cindy was not so lucky in Kermit (the green mini).
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

There's a mob (All Aluminium Welding?) on Facebook that seemingly can repair much, much worse than that...

https://www.facebook.com/All-Alumini...1184927956142/

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Well his nav needs some performance management

It was just a joke because he did it at a previous event
    Totes., and definately needs to 'performance manage' his nav in that case

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Bolt the other rear on that side and check alignment/runout?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Cheers fellas,

Re the nav, she is just a young girl keen on Motorsport who volunteers to go in the silly seat. For proper tarmac rallies itís the nopics (she doesnít get in the car unless there are podiums and champagne showers. Lol) and we always have a checklist at the start to go through. You get a bit complacent at the rally sprints as you know the entire course so the role of the co driver isnít as crucial. But definitely a lesson in it to introduce a start line check list as a good habit forming exercise and prevent me being a muppet.

Awdmoke, I didnít get to hear what stopped the mini. So a bit more damage for them? It is a dark and tricky section of the course.

Cheers Beavis. Not sure I would want to race on this rim being repaired. An unexpected deflation or rim failure at speed could be suboptimal. Although would be an option for a spare if I wasnít stealing the centre disc

Good suggestion Gamma. Might try that in the shed today.

Really tried to kill you huh.

Looked like the kerb could have saved a worse outcome tbh.

Fuck I love this thing and the updates. Sucks about the rim but could have been much worse.

as above, if its just the rim then thank your lucky stars and keep having fun. i dont want to know how much a proper stack would cost in that thing now...

those kerbs and the general narrowness of rallysprints is why ive always shied away. not enough talent to keep it on the blackstuff with such small margin for error :P
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Sorry to see this but as you've said could have been much worse...as someone else said the kerb probably did you a big favour in the end! I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, it looked pretty fucking dark and I had to rewind 4 times just to see the mini. Would have thrown you off for sure. Car sounds mint!

Cheers fellas,

so followed the Gamma approved test and all looks OK. At least with bare eyeballs. (PS thanks for the offer of dial gauge Mr Rust) No wobbles and the wheel seems to be pointing in the right direction. So have to just sit tight and wait for the barrels to arrive, get the wheel back together and then try and align it. Fingers crossed.

Quick vid of it turning over.

Last edited by darkside; 12-02-19 at 06:03 PM.

Bad luck but thankfully just a flesh wound! A small mistake with a thankfully small outcome.

So,

a few $$ and a few weeks later the sausaged SSR is as good as new and all fitted up with fresh 050's. By the time I paid for the barrels, got them here (pants dropped on freight) had the barrels painted to match and assembled we weren't a whole lot cheaper than a new rim, but it was alot faster than over night custom parts from Japan. I think I had a 12 week wait on these wheels the first time. The new barrels were also top quality and lighter as they promised and were a perfect fit. So not all bad. So off to the workshop this arvo to put it on the setup stands, string it up, drink some tins, and hopefully get it all pointing in the right direction. (not sure if in that order) Really fortunate to have a workshop that will let me get hands on with the tools and drink tins with. Might struggle to find in QLD. Possibly have to step my game up at home. So if all goes well, will be back for the final round of the Rallysprint series tomorrow night. Gave it a quick tub and a blow dry around the block. Seems to be driving fine. Will try to keep it a bit tidier this time...... Keen to keep the car right for a couple more track days prior to bolting. Barbagallo has been resurfaced and I am hoping the new collie extension will be open prior to going...

Last edited by darkside; 13-03-19 at 04:34 PM.

#spent

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

when you move to qld please come down to sydney for a trackday or two so i can drool over this in person
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Fuck. Yes.

^^^ Gotta say this is one thing I am looking forward to... Not being 3 days drive to the nearest alternative race track. Plan was to take some time getting to QLD and tow the race car and make a few key stops on the way. But have the dogs in the car now so will have to take amore direct route. But definitely plans for road trips to interstate tracks outside of Brissy.

So wrapped up the rallysprint series last night. 5th outright on the night in a sea of AWD turbos and a class win for the series. Not a bad send off. Nice to drive the car home straight. Hopefully one more trackday at Barbgallo on the new surface and then pack things up and hit the road.

Bit of incar from last night. The old 32 GTR gets off the line ok RB30 with 680hp at the treads.

Awesome mate,

lettuce know when you are doing Barbys as I'm keen for some laps in the Coon
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy