Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Change of career

Great to know I wasn't alone in my experience of working in car sales.

I'm absolutely positive that working in new car sales with a respectable brand will be very different to working in a 2nd hand yard, but the pressure to sell will still be there.

It certainly helps in building your cynicism of every single sales person you ever meet.
    I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by -Matt- View Post
    I have no retail sales experience (other than working in a bottle shop) but have purchased many a car over the years so much so that I don't purchase my cars in Victoiria at all and go interstate that I will just do the opposite to every sales person I have dealt with and have taken a lot of advice from a lot of people in the industry over the last few weeks.

My role at GMA was not sales based - I basically looked after repossessed properties that held LMI along with hardships claims and other recoveries and back end stuff - I secured the role via a specialized recruitment agency that looks after the motor trade. Was offered the job later in the day after the interview with the sales manager. Having the redundancy and other funds behind me has been helpful and given the crap I've had in financial services for effectively 20 years - politics, crap senior management etc....I'm really looking forward to the change irrespective of giving up Saturdays which is better than the above mentioned.

There is only 3 sales people at the dealership me being the third with a volume of 50 - 60 per month with the possibilities of other brands coming on board (Euro) in the next 12
    Best of luck with it Matt, really interested to hear an honest account of what the job is like for someone new to the industry. Sounds like you are trust worthy and down to earth which might be a breath of fresh air considering what most people say of people working in the industry.

I've often felt I'd be good at sales due to being able to build good relationships with people but I get told I am not enough of a cunt by friends and relatives. Must try harder...

My new boss is an ex cop that still works as a cop on weekends and is ex Mercedes and he even said I was over qualified and would be bored, clearly he has never worked with LMI

The other 2 salesmen are great and im just going to give it my best shot hang around the service centre and build up a client base.

I have a few doubts after listening to some people but some comments made to me in person from friends family and people in the industry say I'll have no problem and will enjoy it - the manager is right behind me took ts not often you get paid to do your hobby and I enjoy engaging with all sorts

Anyone in Melbourne that needs any car I'm sure if the contacts my manager has something can be sorted out

So far so good.

Been running around between service centre in Caulfield and dealership in Cheltenham.

Driving all sorts of different Peugeot's and other makes. Also had warranty issues but knowing where to go eg Prestige Sunroofs has been advantageous.

Been driving the demo car which is a stickered up 308 Active with the 1.2 Turbo 3 cylinder.

2 sales on Saturday one new one used.

Anyone in Melbourne after Euro parts can help a fellow PF member out.
    Last edited by -Matt-; 28-07-15 at 10:13 AM.

Mechanical 'Tard Cliffordcliffs's Avatar
    Good onya Matt, bet those first few sales were a buzz.
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

So at the start of the month I was let loose and was given a target of 10 cars to be sold for August.

Nothing on Saturday 1st Aigust but after a few follow ups during the week I've now sitting at 6 sales, 3 during the week and just this Saturday 8th I sold 3 cars on one day all new. Kicker being I sold a car each to a father and son who are passionate Peugeot drivers - father purchased a brand new run out 508 Touring and the son a 4008 4wd

I've actually sold 7 for the month but I gave the other sale away to the guy who has been training me which has got me a lot of positive response.

Really enjoying the work even though Saturday you get every wood duck dropping by.

Peugeot has some really good cars coming too like 308 GTI and 308R

Best part is dealing with the wholesalers they are very funny

How many sales from spamming every car thread on Pf?
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

None

But with contacts I had before I could get better deals than others via MB now even better

We are getting some other brands in the next 6 - 12 months
    Last edited by -Matt-; 10-08-15 at 06:28 AM.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Worth getting in with car clubs?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

So another month down at end up selling 17 (delivered) for the month - some with some decent commission others not so ($100 minimum) got a bank of orders for January deliveries given new cars being built.

New 208 with the 308 1.2T motor just about to be released which is excellent so hope that and the VW saga brings in some punters

So another month down at end up selling 17 (delivered) for the month - some with some decent commission others not so ($100 minimum) got a bank of orders for January deliveries given new cars being built.

New 208 with the 308 1.2T motor just about to be released which is excellent so hope that and the VW saga brings in some punters
    Well done. I was wondering how you'd do with no experience. Brett's a good bloke and will push hard to succeed so it's good to see you succeeding under him.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Congrats.

My experience with dealers suggests that if you're polite and actually call people back, you're already ahead of most salespeople!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Well done Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
    Question: someone comes into your dealership to buy a low spec/ low cost new car.

They say they are a cash buyer (and they don't want paint protection, extended warranty etc etc)...do they get a better or worse price on the car??
    Worse price, as there is no chance of making the margin back on the extras. It is a much better idea to show that you are considering all of that stuff as the money that they don't make on the car purchase, will be made on the extras.

I have been in the industry the past 15 odd years and have had interactions with about 100 different dealers. They vary from the cuntiest of cunts to genuine dealers offering a honest service. The one standard between them is that they are all out to maximise profit, just the same as the customer is out to minimise how much they pay.

Matt, 17 Pugs in a month is a good effort. Just don't try and learn too much from the "experienced guys" as there have been plenty of newbies that have a great start, then "learn how to sell a car" from the old timers and it just goes south from there. If you really want to learn how to sell cars, watch the movie suckers:

So update prior to Christmas

Have moved to Peninsula VW/Skoda and my main focus will be used Skoda (and other Euro trade ins) when we move to the new premises which will be a stand alone Skoda dealership in Frankston.

There are 3 salesmen including myself and the manager but I will be looking after new & used so best of both worlds and back to where I grew up in Frankston.

Those after VW or Skoda including parts feel free to hit me up.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Will be interested to hear how you go, given Dieselgate and the fact that everyone's predicting a big sales downturn yet no VW owner actually seems to care.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Is that within the same dealer group, or a new job?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    Is that within the same dealer group, or a new job?
    New job, new dealer group

Couldn't do any worse than Frankston Holden that sold donut on Saturday
    Last edited by -Matt-; 22-12-15 at 08:33 AM.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Mmmm ... doughnut ...

Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

New job, new dealer group

Couldn't do any worse than Frankston Holden that sold donut on Saturday
    Is it just my impression or do sales guys move between dealers a fair bit?

I was in my local Holden dealer two Saturdays ago and there was me and one other customer. Dead as. The contrast to the absolutely packed Mazda dealer I visited a couple of months back was really telling. Ford dealer I visited this past weekend was very happy to let me drive the Fiesta ST as it was the first time he'd been out of the office all day (at 2pm).

Edit: double posting is back!

Yes

I actually went to Mazda for a week and hated the sausage factory process

But loving it here so far and the numbers and new dealership move (premises) great
    Last edited by -Matt-; 22-12-15 at 09:43 AM.

Matt you can't work in a Holden dealership, you know too much about cars.

Currently driving a Yeti diesel 4x4 love it - such a joy to drive and very comfortable and great fuel consumption. Rides better than my B250/SLK or C63 on the road to Phillip Island.

2 weeks down and I've sold 6 Skoda's 4 Octavia, 1 Yeti and 1 Fabia - we move to a dedicated Skoda site in 2 weeks where I will be looking after used Skoda and new but mostly used is my domain.

Anyone after a deal on Toyota/VW or Skoda send me a PM they are all owned by the dealer principal and I can put you on to the right person

Currently driving a Yeti diesel 4x4 love it - such a joy to drive and very comfortable and great fuel consumption. Rides better than my B250/SLK or C63 on the road to Phillip Island.

2 weeks down and I've sold 6 Skoda's 4 Octavia, 1 Yeti and 1 Fabia - we move to a dedicated Skoda site in 2 weeks where I will be looking after used Skoda and new but mostly used is my domain.

Anyone after a deal on Toyota/VW or Skoda send me a PM they are all owned by the dealer principal and I can put you on to the right person
    Wow, kept this quiet on the FB Matt,

Best of luck with Skoda! Lovely cars.

I've just started at one of the two Lexia Place owned MB truck dealerships, started in November, only for them to sell off the other one unexpectedly!

Nothing like uncertainty to keep you on your toes..
    '10 MK6 GTI DSG
    '06 SMRR450

cuore sportivo

So a bloke gives you a go and within 5 months you change roles just as you start showing some returns on the punt he took?

I know how I'd be feeling if that was me that took you on.

I stand corrected. Skodas rock.

Hey Matt, looking at a MY16 Fabia 81 wagon for the misses.

Local dealer (there's only one) is giving me some story about not having any available until March/April and refusing to even match drive away RRP for our postcode from the Skoda Aus website.

He's obviously a dick, but any truth to difficulty in supply of the wagons?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

So when I interviewd nearly 12 months ago with a Dealer Principal I have kept in contact with him - he recently made me an offer too good to refuse and now I'm working for AHG at a Nissan/Suzuki & Used Cars where I'm training to be 2IC have my own office on a higher retainer and good commission and bonus.