Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School me on nutserts/rivnuts

School me on nutserts/rivnuts

Morning gents,

Looking at getting an el-cheapo set of nutserts/rivnuts like the one in the link - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/515-PIECE...item1c24be2f32

Unfortunately not baller enough and wont be using these things enough to justify buying the expensive ones. Basically want to use a few of these to hold down my fuel pump bracket, surge tank, battery box etc to my boot floor. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Ie are they just more of a screw something light like fibreglass gaurds sorta use, or can they actually be used for something that can kill you if it comes loose and falls over [ie fuel pouring on battery because the surge tank fell over]

Cheers,

Rdynos cousin.

Meh
    Looks like a very good kit for the price.
    They can be used in a lot of different areas. The problem occurs when the nutsert starts to loosen and then spin in the parent panel ..... that's a pain.

M8 steel is going to be a cunt to set with that style of tool.
    M10 steel - don't even think about it with that tool.
    If they come loose, insert the tool and re-set it - but if you're worried about it ever spinning, smear some epoxy around the insert before you insert it and set it.
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 16-07-15 at 08:51 AM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Yeh, M6 steel is the limit with that kit. Once you get a kit you'll wonder how you did without one, very handy.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Awesome for fixing chewed out holes in sheet metal which only had a screw in them from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Looks like a very good kit for the price.
    They can be used in a lot of different areas. The problem occurs when the nutsert starts to loosen and then spin in the parent panel ..... that's a pain.
    Is the nutsert loosening a result of the sheet metal its in opening up, or the flare itself losing its grip? Judging by gammas response im guessing the flare is the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    M8 steel is going to be a cunt to set with that style of tool.
    M10 steel - don't even think about it with that tool.
    If they come loose, insert the tool and re-set it - but if you're worried about it ever spinning, smear some epoxy around the insert before you insert it and set it.
    Im not really worried about it spinning, just worried about it [either the sheet metal its inserted in, or the nutserts flare] failing and as a result having 2.5L of fuel in a metal tin ready to top over the next time I go around a corner. Smear of JB weld would do the trick right?

As for the tool, what other alternatives are there?

Thanks for the replies gents.

generally speaking you dont want heavy shit hanging off them no

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    Was thinking along the lines of using the steel M6 insert x6 to hold down a 2.5L surge tank - say 3.5kg all up? Sheet metal its being inserted into is 3mm. The other option was to bend up an alloy platform out of 5mm and bolt that to the floor using the bigger rivnuts then bolt the surge tank to that.

It might be a Gemini but im trying to move away from the more traditional building techniques [bog and tech screws ]

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    I hang 6mm armour plate off rivnuts, has passed full vehicle certification (250 rounds into the vehicle) without a single plate falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    Was thinking along the lines of using the steel M6 insert x6 to hold down a 2.5L surge tank - say 3.5kg all up? Sheet metal its being inserted into is 3mm.
    Probably overkill - but would probably be ok with 6 alloy ones - you'd be using them for the hold-down straps i guess?
    The issue with them spinning tends to be the alloy ones being a bit soft (limits the clamping force available before yield), or the steel ones not being set hard enough - this is where the big fuckoff double handed ones are excellent. At a pinch you can use the nut/bolt/washer technique to pull them a bit tighter (thread a nut, then a greased washer onto appropriate bolt. thread bolt all the way into the insert. Try to wind nut off the end of the bolt, the washer protects the nutsert.)
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Was thinking along the lines of using the steel M6 insert x6 to hold down a 2.5L surge tank - say 3.5kg all up? Sheet metal its being inserted into is 3mm. The other option was to bend up an alloy platform out of 5mm and bolt that to the floor using the bigger rivnuts then bolt the surge tank to that.

It might be a Gemini but im trying to move away from the more traditional building techniques [bog and tech screws ]
    that will be ok. That tool will do 6mm steel all day long, i probably did about 50 x 8mm steel with mine before it died, so best to avoid 8 mm but the odd one would be ok if youre desprate.

Edit beaten
    Last edited by SR20 KE30; 16-07-15 at 11:11 AM.

Sheet metal its being inserted into is 3mm. ]
    the maximum grip range of those m6 rivnuts is 3.5mm, should be ok.

Brobdingnagian Member Mighty Mouse's Avatar
    does anyone do UNF/UNC nutserts? a quick ebay search tells me no?

OK, you've sold me. I just bought the one linked.
    I've been holding out for two years asking for one for Father's Day/Chrissy/bday to no avail because no-one in my family can get their shit together two weeks in advance.
    So I also ordered these safety wire pliers: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271855123417
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    i have the one in the OP and it does the job, i dont use it to mount anything heavy as mentioned.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mega View Post
    I hang 6mm armour plate off rivnuts, has passed full vehicle certification (250 rounds into the vehicle) without a single plate falling off.
    I'm guessing that they aren't 5cent alloy rivnuts off ebay though?
    Last edited by trdee; 16-07-15 at 02:53 PM.

Those alloy ones are great for holding small shit on, but they're a fucking long way from being structural!

I used quite a few building my race car, all steel ones, and then just put a very small tig tack on the ones that I wanted to torque a bit more than might be considered normal.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

Quote Originally Posted by Passion-Fingers View Post
    does anyone do UNF/UNC nutserts? a quick ebay search tells me no?
    I buy them from my local bolt shop. Mandrels are a bit harder to find though..

Genuine thanks for the advice/help guys, will be acquiring one of these shortly.

Cheers

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Those alloy ones are great for holding small shit on, but they're a fucking long way from being structural!
    So easy to rip the threads out though in the small sizes. I generally use steel ones on everything now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Yoda
    I <3 Hamster

to help stop the rivet nuts spinning i get a small triangle file and file a small nick in the hole before you pull it in there just helps them to bite in a bit better

Quote Originally Posted by Africa View Post
    to help stop the rivet nuts spinning i get a small triangle file and file a small nick in the hole before you pull it in there just helps them to bite in a bit better
    Use a shit drill bit that leaves a nice burr on the backside of the hole also works.

Yeap, tight shitty drill bit ftw
    If you have to smack the back of the tool to get them in you have done it right.

and if you want to be a sick cunt to a future owner who wants to remove shit, do the bolts up with 277 ft spec, nothing fucks your day like a spinning rivnut lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    ...nothing fucks your day like a spinning rivnut lol
    lol? It's no laughing matter... many headfucks thanks spinning rivnuts...
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

If its a blind cavity your fucked, just hope you can cut the head off and go for an oversize bolt.
    I find it best not to mention that there will be a rattle for the rest of eternity lol
    Fuck I'm retarded

Had a few spin, blind ones at that, they were in thin-ish ally and I ended up yanking them out with some vice grips, left a fucking big hole though....

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Total fucking nightmare, I had a crack at removing one but after die grinding and slide hammering the fucking thing out the mushroomed and warped sheet metal quickly taught me that they grind and punch in a lot easier.
    Fuck I'm retarded

Fucken rusted bolt shit cunt fuckers, holding glass-fibre reinforced plastic aero panels in place.

£200 plastic undertray, destroyed because of 20p worth of rivnut, and 50p stud and nut.

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    If its a blind cavity your fucked, just hope you can cut the head off and go for an oversize bolt.
    I find it best not to mention that there will be a rattle for the rest of eternity lol
    Big dollop of sikaflex will fix that.