Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New Tesla S has "Ludicrous Speed" mode - 0-100k in 2.8secs

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Will be 2030 by the time that comes out.

Still got to get model 3 production up to speed, then the semi, then the roadster, then model Y and finally the pickup.
    You forgot the space rocket

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Now my math is a bit iffy nowadays but 5000 a month takes a fair while to clear 500000 back orders. 568 years at current rate of production
    Yeah your maths is completely shit. Not sure how many months are your version of a year, but that works out to 8.3 years for 500k at 5k/month.

It was supposed to be 5000/week not per month I thought, so about 2 years worth if that's the case.

Currently delivered 220 last quarter 500k=568yr
    Last edited by garvice; 30-12-17 at 01:54 PM.

Right.

Quote Originally Posted by GSRman View Post
    I saw some TNT hybrid trucks doing round town stuff a while back - haven't seen them in a while though...
    They're still around, as are the StarTrack ones. Canberra only got a couple of the TNT hybrids, there's still one running around the southside. I've seen a few for sale over the last couple of years, most have around 200,000km so that's probably TNT's fleet replacement time. They've also lost a few due to crash damage. Doubt they're going to get any more, it's a lot of $$ for something that carries the same amount of freight, and uses a little less fuel, than a Hiace.

Tesla lost nearly $1 billion in three months

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...63c3c0ac5d0c40

TESLA’S record net loss in the first quarter and fast-burn through millions of dollars is raising questions about the company’s ability to pay all its bills.

Chief executive Elon Musk conceded that criticism is valid but said during a sometimes-testy conference call with analysts Wednesday that it’s “quite likely” Tesla will make money and have positive cash flow in the third quarter.

“It’s high time we became profitable,” said Musk, who also promised restructuring this month to achieve profit goals. “The truth is you’re not a real company until you are, frankly. That’s our focus right now.”

Wednesday’s results showed Tesla tearing through $US745.3 million ($995.5 million) in cash in the first quarter, due largely to the slow production ramp-up of the Model 3 mass-market electric sedan. The cash burn could put pressure on the company to borrow more or sell additional shares to raise more cash.
    Problems with building Model 3s at a plant in Fremont, California, got so bad during the quarter that Musk has tweeted he’s sleeping at the factory, automation is overrated and more humans are needed to build the cars. Strong sales of the car are key to generating cash to pay operating expenses, fund capital spending and make upcoming debt payments.

The company said in a note to investors Wednesday that Model 3 production is on the rise and that it expects profitability in the second half, under generally accepted accounting principles.

“This is primarily based on our ability to reach Model 3 production volume of 5000 units per week,” the company stated. In its letter, Tesla said Model 3 production hit 2270 per week at the end of April, the third straight week that it reached over 2000.

The company said it improved battery module production during the quarter, overcoming a large bottleneck, and it now expects to hit 5000 Model 3s per week around early July.

The Model 3 starts at $US35,000 ($46,750) but can easily top $US50,000 ($66,780) with options. Musk said the restructuring would involve getting rid of third-party contractors that have grown out of control. “We’re going to scrub barnacles on that front,” he said.

He admitted that Tesla made a mistake by adding too much automation too quickly at the factory. “We have temporarily dialled back automation and introduced certain semi- automated or manual processes while we work to eventually have full automation take back over,” the company said.

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Hanneman
    What? Revenue? No, no, no, no, no. No. If you show revenue, people will ask "How much?" And it will never be enough, but if you have no revenue, you can say you're pre-revenue. You're a potential pure play. It's not about how much you earn, it's about what you're worth. And who's worth the most? Companies that lose money. Pinterest, Snap chat... No revenue. Amazon has lost money every fucking quarter for the last 20 fucking years, and that Bezos motherfucker is the king.

Amazon has net profits?? Wut
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

is anyone following the Tesla stock/shorts slash private stuff thats going on?

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/taking-tesla-private

The following email was sent to Tesla employees today:

Earlier today, I announced that I’m considering taking Tesla private at a price of $420/share. I wanted to let you know my rationale for this, and why I think this is the best path forward.

First, a final decision has not yet been made, but the reason for doing this is all about creating the environment for Tesla to operate best. As a public company, we are subject to wild swings in our stock price that can be a major distraction for everyone working at Tesla, all of whom are shareholders. Being public also subjects us to the quarterly earnings cycle that puts enormous pressure on Tesla to make decisions that may be right for a given quarter, but not necessarily right for the long-term. Finally, as the most shorted stock in the history of the stock market, being public means that there are large numbers of people who have the incentive to attack the company.

I fundamentally believe that we are at our best when everyone is focused on executing, when we can remain focused on our long-term mission, and when there are not perverse incentives for people to try to harm what we’re all trying to achieve.

This is especially true for a company like Tesla that has a long-term, forward-looking mission. SpaceX is a perfect example: it is far more operationally efficient, and that is largely due to the fact that it is privately held. This is not to say that it will make sense for Tesla to be private over the long-term. In the future, once Tesla enters a phase of slower, more predictable growth, it will likely make sense to return to the public markets.

Here’s what I envision being private would mean for all shareholders, including all of our employees.

First, I would like to structure this so that all shareholders have a choice. Either they can stay investors in a private Tesla or they can be bought out at $420 per share, which is a 20% premium over the stock price following our Q2 earnings call (which had already increased by 16%). My hope is for all shareholders to remain, but if they prefer to be bought out, then this would enable that to happen at a nice premium.

Second, my intention is for all Tesla employees to remain shareholders of the company, just as is the case at SpaceX. If we were to go private, employees would still be able to periodically sell their shares and exercise their options. This would enable you to still share in the growing value of the company that you have all worked so hard to build over time.

Third, the intention is not to merge SpaceX and Tesla. They would continue to have separate ownership and governance structures. However, the structure envisioned for Tesla is similar in many ways to the SpaceX structure: external shareholders and employee shareholders have an opportunity to sell or buy approximately every six months.

Finally, this has nothing to do with accumulating control for myself. I own about 20% of the company now, and I don’t envision that being substantially different after any deal is completed.

Basically, I’m trying to accomplish an outcome where Tesla can operate at its best, free from as much distraction and short-term thinking as possible, and where there is as little change for all of our investors, including all of our employees, as possible.

This proposal to go private would ultimately be finalized through a vote of our shareholders. If the process ends the way I expect it will, a private Tesla would ultimately be an enormous opportunity for all of us. Either way, the future is very bright and we’ll keep fighting to achieve our mission.

Thanks,
    Elon
    Buying the stock back at $420... seriously thats a joke right?, just like Model S/3/X & Y and the BFR & BFS...

It all seems very interesting given the shorts against TSLA

Quite a good move, a good Xanatos Gambit if you will, by Musk if you think about it. Either:

A) You actually do intend to go private, and don't need to worry about short sellers. You can focus fully on executing and not having to meet quarter deadlines that may be worse for the long term.

B) You don't go private, or it fails a shareholder vote, and all the short sellers were forced to cover their shorts. In the future they'll have second thoughts shorting again wondering if Musk pulls off another one of these or other related moves, lest you go short again and some other random idea pops up and forces you to cover again even though you believe it's a trick. Short sellers less likely to short Tesla, Tesla has an easier time getting financing, executing, etc.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    After watching 3 seasons of Billions i still dont get what shorts are. #dumbtruckie

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Selling a stock the seller does not own haha
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Yep, my understanding is its basically a bet that the stock will go down in price.

Say you borrow(loaned) some stock for 90days at $300, you sell that stock straight away pocketing the $300. Now when it's time to pay back the borrowed stock, if your bet was correct and the stock price fell to say, $250 - you can buy back the stock cheaper to pay the loan and pocket $50 profit (less fees/interest).

However if the stock price goes up in that time, say $350 it costs the short seller and extra $50 to pay back the stock loan.

I think I read somewhere that Tesla is currently the most shorted company in the stock exchange and that those sellers are waging a pretty big anti-tesla FUD campaign to lower the stock price as they're up for billions.
    Last edited by to4garret; 09-08-18 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    After watching 3 seasons of Billions i still dont get what shorts are. #dumbtruckie

If you google there are good explanations. Pretty much if I get this right instead of buying the share you borrow it. Say you borrow one share and today it is worth 5 bucks. You borrow it and give it to the buyer, at a future date you need to give one share back to the guy U borrowed it from, if it is now 4 dollars you made a dollar, if price went up you lose that amount.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Ah yep ok i get it. I never realised you could lend stock i guess but there you go. No wonder my application for Axe Cap wasnt successful.

It Places the lotion in the basket!

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by to4garret View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Tesla is currently the most shorted company in the stock exchange and that those sellers are waging a pretty big anti-tesla FUD campaign to lower the stock price as they're up for billions.
    Read somewhere it currently has around 33 million stocks being shorted at a current value of around 12 billion dollars.

That is a lot of potential debt..

Do Superfunds use short tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That is a lot of potential debt..

Do Superfunds use short tactics?
    Yep.

yea, shorting is a bit like betting someone will lose a fight while doing everything in your power to distract/demoralise the fighter.

in the current media world there are many levers a big fish short seller can pull to move things around the board.

I'm not surprised a paranoid Musk would want to be away from that as much as possible.

Oo___oO

Yep generally a brokerage firm/investment bank doing it alongside a negative analyst report.

Saw a Model S and a Model X today.
    CSH

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    branson went public with virgin then realised after the board of directors took over he couldnt get anything done because his visions for the company were being vetoed all of the time

so he bought it back
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

just got an invite to see a model 3 at the tesla store in brisbane next tuesday so I guess they're trying to keep the australians happy who paid a deposit in feb 2016. and its gotta be a year off still.

Oo___oO

model 3 goes alright!

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    just got an invite to see a model 3 at the tesla store in brisbane next tuesday so I guess they're trying to keep the australians happy who paid a deposit in feb 2016. and its gotta be a year off still.
    let us know what you think. i read a decent review of the model 3 track version (may not be the right name) the other day. Sounded promising but will likely be 120k minimum if it gets to Australia.

Has pricing for the model 3 in general been confirmed 100% for AU yet?
    RB26......................Again

No pricing confirmed but I've got a feeling it's going to be much more than what people expected back in 2016 when they paid it. My guess is base model will be somewhere around 60k. But if it turns out to be a nice car with a premium feel (BMW/Merc Vs Hyundai/Kia) the market will bare it, but a lot of deposit holders will pull out.

But yea, performance model will be well north of 100k.

Thats fairly respectable - but yeah I expect it will be 100k or near as.
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

Performance model will be just under $150k depending on options colour etc...

So at 60k if it competes with say a bmw 3 series (or close to it on quality) then it’s a reasonable cross shop option. Especially if it’s a 2nd car, run about and doesn’t need to head interstate regularly

I think it makes sense.

But I also suspect Elon has at least partially lost his mind

in saying that, the base model $35k USD option is nowhere to be seen, tesla are pumping out the high margin cars first (and i can't say i blame them in their current situation)

Oo___oO